Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

That's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

actually lol

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

SH2 remake lookin' good

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

SH2 remake lookin' good

Bloober doesn't have the stones to be this intentionally kick-rear end

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
bringing a whole new meaning to getting the hidden tape

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
In my restless dreams, I pull off the sickest kickflip

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Playing Fatal Frame 2, great game so far, way easier than the first but like.. why do i have to put a mcguffin on the camera slots to then level it up? why not just level it up

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Honest Thief posted:

Playing Fatal Frame 2, great game so far, way easier than the first but like.. why do i have to put a mcguffin on the camera slots to then level it up? why not just level it up

Because it lets them control the flow of upgrades rather than you just focusing on the like two stats that matter and absolutely destroying every ghost forever as early as possible.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Managed to get through the Quarry with only one (1) death and it was very unfair.

Playing as Kaitlyn I hit the werewolf with the silver shell but for some reason it didn't register properly.

Like he reacted but just shrugged and just clawed me to death anyway.

Probably I shot too early or too late.

Will replay later to rectify this.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Oxenfree 2 came out?? Wtf

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Because it lets them control the flow of upgrades rather than you just focusing on the like two stats that matter and absolutely destroying every ghost forever as early as possible.

Doesn't the xp already do that tho? It's not like I'm saving too much between getting new orbs

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Tired Moritz posted:

Oxenfree 2 came out?? Wtf

You can get it free if you have a Netflix subscription too.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

e: wrong vg thread whoopsie. thinking of scooping undernauts labyrinth of yomi from the steam sale since it seems p creepy and I like me some blobbers

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
So, anyone played The Invincible?
Not a spook-a-doodle, strictly speaking, but I figure we discuss "spacemen in peril" storygames a lot itt, and it's one of the better examples, I'd say! A lot of mystery, a lot of incredible death (and some fates worse-than), very pretty retro sci-fi vistas and technology (It's the kind of future where we're already travelling faster than light, but are still using pads and pencils for everything.) Almost feels like they're about to let you investigate stuff with your wacky sci-fi tools, but no, it's not that kind of game. Surveying the recorded camera "footage", for example, is pretty good, resembling the Outer Wilds' "magic lanterns", but you're not required to interpret it yourself, so the protagonist just describes everything outright. Oh well, they're going for a tight narrative where everything's revealed at exactly the right time.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm currently watching a video about Raging Loop, and I'm wondering if I should stop and play the game myself - part of me is interested in it, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that the game isn't very good (especially since the video's title calls it a hot mess).

Worth it? Or should I just watch these spoilers instead?

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Morpheus posted:

I'm currently watching a video about Raging Loop, and I'm wondering if I should stop and play the game myself - part of me is interested in it, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that the game isn't very good (especially since the video's title calls it a hot mess).

I loved Raging Loop, it goes a bit off the rails but it’s a really fun ride, lotta neat twists. I would def recommend it if you like visual novels.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Morpheus posted:

A lot of people really enjoy it and I enjoyed most of it too, but I found the ending to be really sloppy which really turned me off the whole thing. The so called "rational" explanation is even more ridiculous than if the entire thing was supernatural. Also there is a time loop going on, so the supernatural demonstrably exists in the setting. Apparently, some things are explained in the bonus content, but the main story should stand on its own.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Raging Loop is actually pretty good. I watched the video and it was a bit clickbait even if I agree with most of the points

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Absolutely no idea how someone could call it a hot mess game is great.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Raging Loop becomes complete and utter nonsense around the point where the localizers say "gently caress it" and throw 200 paragraphs about kanji radicals at you, but I liked it well enough up until that point

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's only nonsense if you don't know anything about kanji radicals

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

the only thing that annoys me about raging loop is its tangentially connected to another VN the creator made but that game never got localized or a fanpatch or anything so I'll never get to see what comes of that connection :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My main complaints about Raging Loop:

1) There are were a couple different things I though the game was just hinting at but being tasteful enough to not bring up that turned out to be foreshadowing for plot points.

2) The game is at its worst when it's trying to come up with 'reasonable', nonmagical explanations for things, especially right at the end.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://x.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1744751802942099588?s=20

Alan Wake coming to Dead By Daylight.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Stop writing your way into new adventures Alan, it's never going to work :negative:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Captain Hygiene posted:

Stop writing your way into new adventures Alan, it's never going to work :negative:

He tried that and it leads to him shooting himself in the head.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Kinda impressed that I somehow have no idea what Alan Wake is in 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Kinda impressed that I somehow have no idea what Alan Wake is in 2024

Where have you been for the last 13 years?!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Under a lake or something?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How's them evil within games

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zigTx34rpsw

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Incredible

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

big caveat here that my opinion appears to be outside the norm & most ppl seem to have adored 2 and hate 1 so

EW1 is one of my favorite horror games of all time

as long as you go in realizing it's going to be a fever dream of disconnected ideas thrown together into a chain of horror-themed setpieces I think you'll at least have fun. the main antagonist is goofy and the ending is lame, but it's no worse than most of the RE game endings imo. it keeps a really good momentum going and rarely lets up, which made the whole thing breeze by for me. has some weak moments (end boss etc) but it at least felt like they were trying to do something neat even if it didn't always work. just don't think too hard about anything to do with the story, it is fully a vibes-based game imo.

2 has an incredibly strong beginning & the idea of a pseudo-open world horror game seemed neat but becomes way more straightforward after the first half with very few surprises and very little "new" since a huge amount of the game is set in very same-y locations. the second half is way more linear and it loses a ton of momentum on some really bland characters (including one game-long setup that seemed like it was going to be hugely relevant and then amounted to almost nothing) and extremely linear and easy combat sequences. the great parts are great, but so much of the rest felt so average that I barely remember anything about much of those bits but hallways and dungeons. it's definitely the better made game, but IMO losing the rough edges made the game less memorable.

imo 2 felt like it probably went through some troubled development that resulted in some big cuts to the content & narrative, and since it's a way more serious and polished game I guess I noticed it a lot more than 1

both are heavily worth a play, and if you do then make sure to grab the dlc for 1. its much more straightforward than the base game, and feels like the natural mid-point between 1 and 2 with the heavy stealth focus & more serious narrative.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
TEW1 is a game where Mikami is caught between doing something new and having someone tell him to just make RE4 again and he splits the difference in a way that I don't think works well with either side, so you just get worse RE4 with a stealth system

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Loved TEW1 and feel similarly about TEW2 as blank where the first half set it up to be amazing and then it never follows up on the open world horror game concept.

I remember reading the TEW1 thread here when it released and posters explaining how to use matches correctly, so I feel that set me up for success when I finally got around to playing it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

GOTY

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

As someone who first played TEW1 this last autumn, because it was free on epic before the release of AW2, it's fine.
It's not even close to as bad as some people say it is, but it still has a lot of issues. I felt the combat was mostly fine though very much feast or famine, where you either have enough resources that the randomness doesn't matter and you can just deal with everything or you don't have any resources and are just hosed because you can't do anything. Also has the far too common disconnect where Sebastian does jump kicks and running precision snapshot in cutscenes but can't hit a barn during normal gameplay, to the point where there's a sequence where you have to hit two enemies across a 5 meter gap and the game very pointedly gives you sniper ammo. But once you figure out the rules it works well enough.

I did find the mind scape/dream world stuff pretty disappointing because it was mostly used to not have to explain area transitions and have massive destruction that didn't need to be cleaned up/ dealt with, because it wasn't real. The Kidman DLCs are much better at using it for interesting stuff, though they have their own issues.

This sounds very negative but it was well worth the time I put into it, though if you have games you are actually exited for play them first.

I am replaying TEW2 at the moment, and it does more in your face stuff with the dream world and has bosses that are actually characters, rather than just monsters, but the open world stops being interesting pretty early and is just long treks between points of interest, which isn't exactly rare.

Also the transition to the save room gives me a headache, so if you are photosensitive probably stay away or be prepared to look away whenever you want to save , this goes for both games.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

That's some stage-acting level gesticulation there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I cannot play open worlds with transparent icon marked engagement activities, can't do it anymore.