Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I Am Fowl posted:

If I'm remembering right, it might get a bit scary for an eight year old. And, well, as you've seen, they do butcher animals sometimes. But I don't recall any real nudity in the manga.

There is some non-sexual nudity. Going into details is spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Turpitude posted:

This Netflix anime "Delicious in Dungeon" is rated MA for nudity and violence but so far it is extremely wholesome, something I could watch with my 8 year old daughter. Though they have only released 2 episodes so maybe it'll transform into Berserk + cooking monsters?

It's the violence part that's giving it the MA rating. It's an adventuring party in a dungeon, so injuries and death are a fact of life. It's never depicted over the top or graphically, but it is present and stuff like getting speared through the head or losing a limb happen and are shown on occasion.

The manga series is currently up in it's entirety on Mangadex. So you could just read ahead and see if what is shown is something you don't want your daughter seeing.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Haven't watched it, haven't read it, still rooting for it to get huge enough to get a video game adaptation.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I live a good 'gimmick' show so I might just check it out if it can avoid the usual anime pitfalls.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I Am Fowl posted:

If I'm remembering right, it might get a bit scary for an eight year old. And, well, as you've seen, they do butcher animals sometimes. But I don't recall any real nudity in the manga.

there's some outline topless nudity of a pivotal female character, and she spends half of the story like that.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The intense fights and scenes are about on the same level as Princess Mononoke in terms of violence and horror elements as a point of context.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it's just one of those cases where Japanese ratings boards aren't nearly as bothered with nudity as American ones, and in this case they couldn't be bothered censoring it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jimbot posted:

If I'm not really digging Arcane 3 episodes in, will the rest change my mind? Show looks great but I'm not connecting with any of the characters, I think the drama is contrived and it wallows in its misery too much. I ask here instead of the actual thread because I don't want to come off as a drive-by shitpost (yuck people's yums, as the kids say) and this one is more active.

I thought the same, but persisted watching it because it looks so drat good. The back half of the story really kicks into gear and is definitely worth sticking around for.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's just one of those cases where Japanese ratings boards aren't nearly as bothered with nudity as American ones, and in this case they couldn't be bothered censoring it.

It’s funny what gets things censored in Japan vs the US versus Japan

Japan: no beheadings
US: no nipples

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think a lot of countries accept less violence and more nudity in stuff for kids than the US

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CaptainCrunch posted:

Not to be too spoilery but Arcane's first season divides its narrative up into 3 ep chunks. You got through the first chunk, which is the setup. The next bit is the "real" story and the rest of the season proceeds from there.

If you like the visuals and are looking for an excuse to watch, I'd give it one more episode. If it's still not for you, it's not going to align more as the season goes on.

starkebn posted:

I thought the same, but persisted watching it because it looks so drat good. The back half of the story really kicks into gear and is definitely worth sticking around for.

Sweet, thanks for the replies. I'll give it a shot and see how I feel at the end of it. Worst thing can happen is that I watched a really good looking show that I was ambivalent about.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm very behind but I enjoyed the 5 episode new season of ATHF

It was pretty close to the early peak of the show in terms of quality

I have not watched the second movie but I did not hear good things. The first one wasn't great, and I think a lot of that is because the show works much better in 10 minute episodes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ATHF definitely works best when you don't have the time to think about anything.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, the flagrant absurdity of each episode’s premise takes you two or three minutes to really absorb and settle into, and by that time it’s moved on into the thick of the plot. More dwell time doesn’t do it favors.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I like the episode riffing on A Quiet Place since it kinda messes with even that usual formula; starting with the third act of one plot that Shake resolves, and then is late to the party of another plot that he missed out on and isn't equipped to deal with. Rapid-fire weirdness mixing genres so fast even the characters can't keep up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The hell is this from? I don’t remember it

https://twitter.com/contextaqua/status/1746356246800695434?s=52&t=89U27JeuF2-Wxt6PQkj8qA

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

The recent movie Aqua Teen Forever: Plantasm. It's alright but see it and the new episodes be far more animated is weird.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah right. I did see Plantasm but couldn't remember this bit.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nameless Pete posted:

Haven't watched it, haven't read it, still rooting for it to get huge enough to get a video game adaptation.

Licensed anime video games don't exactly have a great history.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

I watched Koala Man.

It really skates by on the natural appeal of animation and australian accents cos the writing really isn't that good. A lot of the jokes feel obvious and tired and the whole boring dad obsessed with rules schtick doesn't lead to any laughs for me. There are some moments when it throws in something absurd that got a laugh out of me, but it's totally random stuff and alot of it fell flat, too.

It's weird how mediocre this feels considering Smiling Friends which isn't my favourite show ever, but it at least feels fresh. Also on Smiling Friends, weird how it's taken 3 years to get to season 2 of that while Michael Cusack has produced two full seasons of other animated shows in the meantime? I guess it's not just about one person though.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Long production time makes sense for Smiling Friends, especially for a season 2. There was some really weird and creative stuff like rotoscoping and claymation in S1, assume they'll be doing much more of it. Powerful "loving around making cool things with my mates" energy. YOLO's getting a third season too which i'm sure is stretching the team.

Feel the same way about Koala Man, felt like it was trying very very hard. Did get a few huge laughs out of me that would come out of nowhere but it's a difficult show to heartily recommend. Hugh Jackman was having a lot of fun, so, good for him. Haven't heard any mention of a second season or cancellation, but with that sort of voice talent (especially with Sarah Snook blowing up from Succession) it may just be a bit too much of a middling project to warrant producing more of it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I tried to watch Delicious in Dungeon but man they really do talk about food WAY too much
I know it's a food anime but I didn't think that'd be every moment of every episode!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Taear posted:

I tried to watch Delicious in Dungeon but man they really do talk about food WAY too much
I know it's a food anime but I didn't think that'd be every moment of every episode!

Yeah, if you're not into that, I fear it's the wrong series for you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

masterpine posted:

Long production time makes sense for Smiling Friends, especially for a season 2. There was some really weird and creative stuff like rotoscoping and claymation in S1, assume they'll be doing much more of it. Powerful "loving around making cool things with my mates" energy. YOLO's getting a third season too which i'm sure is stretching the team.

Feel the same way about Koala Man, felt like it was trying very very hard. Did get a few huge laughs out of me that would come out of nowhere but it's a difficult show to heartily recommend. Hugh Jackman was having a lot of fun, so, good for him. Haven't heard any mention of a second season or cancellation, but with that sort of voice talent (especially with Sarah Snook blowing up from Succession) it may just be a bit too much of a middling project to warrant producing more of it.

It's an animated documentary of normal aussie life, same as YOLO. Not sure why you all are expecting it to be funny.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Taear posted:

Food is important. Also literally only two episodes are out, lol.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PalgpGgHaVA

sensenmann420
Jun 24, 2023
Is Pantheon a good show?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

sensenmann420 posted:

Is Pantheon a good show?

I'd say so, yes. It certainly goes places. Some of those are fun, some are cool, some are silly.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

sensenmann420 posted:

Is Pantheon a good show?

yes, it is awesome.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

"They named me the Bad Boy of Archetecture because I'm such a good boy :kimchi:"

Tuca and Bertie is so good :allears:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

sensenmann420 posted:

Is Pantheon a good show?

it's awesome, wraps up the whole story in 2 seasons in an incredibly satisfying way

my favorite sci-fi thing in a while

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Happy Landfill posted:

"They named me the Bad Boy of Archetecture because I'm such a good boy :kimchi:"

Tuca and Bertie is so good :allears:

This is one of those lines that goes through my head every so often, along with the entire sequence of him drawing a child's house while a crowd fawns over it in the background

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

sensenmann420 posted:

Is Pantheon a good show?

I hold a petty eternal grudge about how it thinks servers vent heat but it’s partially goon made and quite good. And as others have said wraps up everything in 2 seasons so it’s not some huge commitment.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Pantheon was a great watch. Once it ramps up to speed it rolls along at a breakneck pace, even if some plotlines and things dont quite land it has already thrown another ten or so cool ideas and concepts at you before you can dwell on it that it just doesn't matter. Really fun ride, especially in season 2 it just goes for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Benagain posted:

This is one of those lines that goes through my head every so often, along with the entire sequence of him drawing a child's house while a crowd fawns over it in the background

'Architect' has been the go-to never-detailed job for sitcom characters for so long it's both had catastrophic effects on the real life field and way overdue for mockery.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've been re-watching Gravity Falls (just about to finish) and man I really wish there were more shows with decently planned out big mysteries
It's so much fun

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Taear posted:

I've been re-watching Gravity Falls (just about to finish) and man I really wish there were more shows with decently planned out big mysteries
It's so much fun

I would kill for a Gravity Falls movie-length special.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I would kill for a Gravity Falls movie-length special.

Even though I know he got overwhelmed and ended the show early he still managed to have threads running all the way through it, to have a mystery that resolved really well and generally to make the show "work" and gently caress it's so rare that it exists now. You'd think prestige TV would mean it's more common but nope

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Taear posted:

On one hand, the series is in the early days, when the only characters of note are these four and the monsters of the dungeon. The scope of the series will eventually expand beyond that. Episode 3 is mostly about just getting past the Living Armors, rather than eating. On the other hand, skill issue, food is the driving conflict and the central metaphor the series revolves around. They're going to be talking about food, and when they're talking about food, they're also building characters, worldbuilding monsters and the dungeon and the setting at large.

I just finished watching Pariah Nexus, and I must have some serious brainrot, because at the very end, when At-something or other (I couldn't quite make it out either time they said his name) asked if he was safe, and the cut to credits and crack of the rifle, I loving burst out laughing. Something about the slow build up of the Guard executing the mindcontrolled on sight and the meta question of how grimdark are they going to take this made it really funny. Outside of that, it was fine. Definitely more for people who are already into Warhammer I think. It was pretty to look at, and had some fun scenes, but it just didn't really grip me on the whole. A personal gripe is the Sister was just taunting me with her helmet on but the face plate up all the time. It's just so much more interesting to look at the helmet rather than her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Architect' has been the go-to never-detailed job for sitcom characters for so long it's both had catastrophic effects on the real life field and way overdue for mockery.

Leo Vader did a good bit on the multitude of jobs Romcom actors do and architect was one of them. Just staring at big paper and making tons of money.