Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Thanks VG! Glad we finally got hunt showdown to rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Thanks for all the hard work VG!

Legitimately happy that in as stacked a year as '23 was, SF6 managed to make the top 10. Generally it's really hard for a fighting game to be recognized as being a true quality game like a Zelda or a FF, but SF6 really did crack the public consciousness

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island sweep for 2024

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wow, what a day. What a countdown. What a moment. I'm enthralled. An absolute belter of a top 10, Mario Wonder and FF16 coming out of nowhere to hit hard and of course a huge top trio with Baldur's Gate 3 being a worthy addition to our GOTY Hall of Fame. Truly the taste levels of this forum are off the hook. I just want to say a massive thank you to Veeg for delivering a top quality countdown. 2023 was a real rough year for ya girl Rarity and back in May I decided to pull back from gaming to spend more out in the world doing stuff - hence me not putting in a list or running this thread (although for the record from the few games I played last FF14 A Realm Reborn woulda been my #1). But I know how much effort it takes to manage this thing and VG has been an absolute warrior to make it happen. It's been really reassuring to know that my baby was being well cared for. I also want to say a massive thank you to everyone who submitted a list this year. I have read almost all of them, each one has brought me so much joy and really challenged my resolve to stay away from gaming. And the last few entries I still haven't finished, I promise you I will! Give yourselves a round of applause goons, it's you that make GOTY the delight that it is.

Mods, to celebrate this day I demand to be hit with a Nice badge sixer :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh yeah, if "Most Anticipated Game" can be a "legitimate" award at The Game Awards, this is my list of 20 games that might be on my 2024 top ten:

FF7 Rebirth
FF14 Dawntrail
Tekken 8
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Rise of the Ronin
Dragon's Dogma 2
Avowed
Homeworld 3
Zenless Zone Zero
Hades 2
Solium Infernum
Skate Story
Revue Starlight: El Dorado
Rise of the Golden Idol
Islands of Insight
Pacific Drive
Ena Dream BBQ
ROMAN SANDS RE:BUILD
Indika
Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Dawntrail might make the list for me next year but i think there's also probably going to be an anticlimactic hangover effect after Endwalker, how do you top that

I've seen the fanfest preview material, I'm actually pretty hype

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

pizza tower got robbed. fuckin goons are too goddamned old to play good games now, it's why everything is an RPG now!!!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Half of my list made the big countdown which is

more than usual.

Wow did my taste get more mainstream this year? This can't abide.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Waffleman_ posted:

Half of my list made the big countdown which is

more than usual.

Wow did my taste get more mainstream this year? This can't abide.

No, it’s the kids who are right!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I gotta play more obscure anime poo poo this year

Come on, Sakura Wars 2 fan translation

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

do we not have a standard probe image for this year?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Waffleman_ posted:

I gotta play more obscure anime poo poo this year

Come on, Sakura Wars 2 fan translation

Fate/ccc got a fan TL out!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fate/ccc got a fan TL out!

I gotta play through the original!!!!

Also poo poo I forgot Zelda was on my list too, that's six

AND I HAD ALL TOP 3 IN MY LIST?!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Waffleman_ posted:

I gotta play through the original!!!!

Don't, it's bad gameplay, read Bisby's LP instead!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

2nd year in a row of the goon choice for goty being the same as the TGA awards award for goty. Is SA epic fail or are TGA for the win?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't, it's bad gameplay, read Bisby's LP instead!

I know, I've tried before! It's so loving bad!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

2nd year in a row of the goon choice for goty being the same as the TGA awards award for goty. Is SA epic fail or are TGA for the win?

Nope you've all become normies. Not me tho I put something else higher each time

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Grapplejack posted:

pizza tower got robbed. fuckin goons are too goddamned old to play good games now, it's why everything is an RPG now!!!!!

the devs robbed themselves by not releasing it on anything except a computer people use to send email and look at spreadsheets and not an actual video game console

i would love to play it but not being on a single console really limits its audience

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How many people played SA Game of the Year Baldur's Gate 3 on console

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i did. but only for a few hours before bouncing off. i'll get back around to it, but when i only have about an hour or so to play a video game each night after work, it's not really satisfying for that entire time to be taken up by a single combat encounter and a few conversations. it's a game i need to reserve like a full saturday for so i can get really immersed in it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

As soon as my physical copy arrives awwoooooooooooooooo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gate of the Year

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Stuff I'm looking forward to in 2024:

FF14 Dawntrail
FF7R2
Yakuza: Infinite Wealth
Tekken 8 - mostly for watching
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Even more Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does Steam Deck count? Unmodded with a controller at least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
name and shame the people who voted this thread a 1, imo

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Everyone needs to play Octo 2

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

This was my second year reading this thread in rapt attention during December and January, but my first actually feeling confident enough to post a list. Hats off to VG for all the work, already counting down until next year when I'll find a bunch of new discoveries to play.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grapplejack posted:

This but also hi fi rush

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ShoogaSlim posted:

the devs robbed themselves by not releasing it on anything except a computer people use to send email and look at spreadsheets and not an actual video game console

i would love to play it but not being on a single console really limits its audience
allow me to "console" you on your poor taste in platforms

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

I foolishly waited until after my votes were locked in to finish it. Would have made my #3 if I wrapped it up in December.

Also thanks for all the work you did on this VG but I think you missed my #10 swap from murder of sonic to patrick's parabox as it's not listed in the 1 pointers

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 14, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sirtommygunn posted:

I foolishly waited until after my votes were locked in to finish it. Would have made my #3 if I wrapped it up in December.
you ever get so mad you start dealing four life bars worth of damage per hit?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

name and shame the people who voted this thread a 1, imo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gah I can't believe I missed it AGAIN, next you Veeg you're doing it to my personal schedule!! (Thank you once again though, this thread is always a highlight and your efforts are always much appreciated!)

Just an insane year for games though. Absolutely un-loving-believeable. In a normal year we'd get like three games out of this top ten and consider it pretty decent, if we got five we'd call it a banger. This? This is just bonkers!

Maybe the most bonkers part of all is that you could take away that top 10 entirely and still have a good list. You'd have REmake 4, Hi-Fi Rush, Spider-Man 2, Jedi Survivor, Pizza Tower, and plenty of others that would mean it adds up to an entirely respectable year of releases. I don't know if I've ever seen anything like it. Not in the last 20 years at least, but maybe ever, I'm not sure even 2001 hit this hard and I've said that's the GOAT since it happened.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

My 2023 games I promise to play in 2024:

Lies of P

Octopath Traveler 2

My 2024 games I'm most definitely gonna play and probably will be on my goty lists

LIKE A DRAGON INFINITE WEALTH

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

Shadow of the Erdtree

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ineffiable posted:

My 2023 games I promise to play in 2024:

Octopath Traveler 2

Yep

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

SirSamVimes posted:

This but also hi fi rush

Hi-Fi Rush and Mario Wonder are two games that make me wish I had the appropriate platforms to play them on, but I'm also not going to go out and buy a Switch or a Series X just to play them

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hi Fi Rush is on PC and was also recently rated for PS4 so maybe soon

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Three people voted this thread a 1. Only 22 people voted at all! I never remember it's a function that exists to be honest.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Thanks for all the hard work from everyone involved in this, and thanks to everyone on the forum for their votes and posts. You are all awesome and I'm looking forward to some awesome games (and opinions on games) in 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Shinji2015 posted:

Hi-Fi Rush and Mario Wonder are two games that make me wish I had the appropriate platforms to play them on, but I'm also not going to go out and buy a Switch or a Series X just to play them

yuzu