Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It would be so easy to sell class pet cosmetics for jade mechs or necromancer minions it's a wonder they aren't touching that potential revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Reoxygenation posted:

The biggest problem I have (and have had) is that they try to reinvent the wheel frequently. Oh this thing is a bit too good - we will simply rework everything around it, instead of just... nerfing a duration or a power coefficient? They kinda just go scorched earth every single time there's an issue, and change stuff that frequently does not need to be changed.

I just don't get it and never will, I guess, considering how long it has been happening for.

e : my final hot take on this is that I wish mech was nerfed into oblivion, not because it's too good but because the jade mech is such an eye sore when you see 15 of them in every group event in the open world

it doesn't matter how bad you make it people will never stop playing it

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
Yeaaah
The reality that it’s a spec with both a robot pet and also has the potential to be the lowest effort with all signet skills and rifle auto attacking means it’ll always have people playing it regardless of if it’s anywhere close to being meta.

I am curious how much of a spike there was in engi characters with the release of mechanist. Engi has always been the last choice based on the player stats from gw2 efficiency’s data but I also see a ton more people playing engi compared to the much more limited number before. I realize some of it is just from how large and visible the mechs are, but it’s not uncommon to see a few mechs in pub strikes compared to me often playing the only engi in groups before.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I keep thinking I should play other classes in WvW, but no other could ever bring me as much joy as Mesmer.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/383041599103565825/1195814214246338692/oneforty.mp4

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
A mesmer portal out of nowhere in WvW is the funniest thing, right next to scorpion wiring people off walls as a thief

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Reoxygenation posted:

A mesmer portal out of nowhere in WvW is the funniest thing, right next to scorpion wiring people off walls as a thief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfDJJZKGfkg

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I'm taking my mech alt into dragonstorm every day and nothing short of removing it will stop me. I would fully buy mech customisation though, so it would be money (how easy it would be for them to program it idk, sometimes it turns out what seems easy is baked in so hard getting it to work requires some weird rewrite of systems so old even the comments are load bearing).

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Candy is one of my favorite youtubers and their videos are always great

Re mech talk : Honestly if it was like, ranger pet sized, I would immediately stop complaining about it. Customization would be great (maybe a color change on the final trait?) for visual diversity would be welcome short of actual customization options

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Another WvW griefer, Choxie, used to Spectral Wall entire zergs to their dooms back in the day. It was so fun to watch...

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Reoxygenation posted:

Candy is one of my favorite youtubers and their videos are always great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcMZrJtbuI4&t=139s

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
lol mesmers can be some real fuckers in WvW for sure. Obviously the portals and then you have stealthing, pulls, teleporting, the obvious clones... honestly a wonderfully frustrating class to face up against there and if you're decent at playing one, you are absolutely going to make someone rage at some point.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

one single illusion of life cast has swung so many fights, it's a ridiculous utility

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I'm starting to get the hang of Berzerker. I played with some stuff while using arc and I can burst way better with greatsword than axe/*. I have been testing second sets and axe/pistol works pretty well for me. I figure if something survives my sword flying at it and me rushing them then mauling with it I can swap fast and just drop 6 shots into their face and if needed rush them again and drop 3-4 more. That's all without Berzerking. I've read that axe/axe is optimal, but I'm not hugely worried about maxing when it's not as fun. axe/torch seemed to just be for me to spam a close range attack and then put the area burn down before going back to greatsword.

I've pretty much only played Reaper and that mostly staff/greatsword, so I'm used to being mobbed for best effect. I'm not quite used to the idea of slapping a single target, but I now am atleast getting some things lined up for that and learned a decent way to fight groups more efficiently. Positioning sort of matters. I'm still not doing much burn damage and that was the reasoning to make the character. So, I'll keep at it until she's a bursty fire monster.

I've also learned some interesting things about my Reaper. I hit way harder than other characters, likely due to being more comfortable and maining gear to it, and the metrics line up pretty much with how I've taught myself to rotate skills. I tested some other patterns and they seemed to do less overall. Condition the poo poo outta the area/mobs and then swing a huge sword around until I'm standing by myself... when in doubt just shroud and spew damage around. I noticed that if a fight lasts more than a few attacks then bleeding just keeps building. hoard or solo. I world boss/metas and I'm doing about 1/3rd damage off bleeding with a few skills behind that and poison creeping it's way in higher over time. Thats the thing I was going for overall. I invest effort into the personality aspect of character building. So nesaM just kills by continuing to fight while my presence does most of the work.

It works nicely for most cases, but I have to constantly work on bosses to keep applying conditions and that's why I wanted to build something that actually works for single targets. I think my habit of wanting to throw myself at piles of mobs is standing in my way of actually building a Berzerker that is focused on bursting. So, maybe I should start using build templates for more than just checking which one lets me have the easiest time generally and should set up a boss build and a regular build? I've never really played games where I switch stuff to make it work best. I really do just throw fireballs at flame sprites until they gently caress back off to being nothing.

Thanks for all the tips, I've gotten way better since I've found the thread and have gotten awesome advice since being in an active guild. I'm almost to a legendary greatsword, have a handle on fractals now, don't see metas as work, and generally am enjoying the game more than ever from just being able to ask stuff that might be simple to others, but overall we work together to kick the game's rear end(hold on i'm being killed)(tabbed over and pressed 2 and poof, mob died. why isn't aura based things a thing? with people that can inflict damage based on being attacked it means some mobs would kill themselves by attacking) and that's basically society.

Lonk posted:

lol mesmers can be some real fuckers in WvW for sure. Obviously the portals and then you have stealthing, pulls, teleporting, the obvious clones... honestly a wonderfully frustrating class to face up against there and if you're decent at playing one, you are absolutely going to make someone rage at some point.

I made a mesmer asura just to be a jump puzzler. would it be worth kitting them to give WvW a shot even though I don't really play? WvW is a shite place to learn a new class, but I don't know if it's worth the effort just because I wanted a character that is easy to jump around with.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 15, 2024

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

"wow this quest has been long and interesting, I wonder how it will end"

game: what if you now have to walk - no mounts - walk across this huge city area to talk to an npc

"game can we talk"

game: yes, and walk! :D

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

StrixNebulosa posted:

"wow this quest has been long and interesting, I wonder how it will end"

game: what if you now have to walk - no mounts - walk across this huge city area to talk to an npc

"game can we talk"

game: yes, and walk! :D

npc "this town is on fire and everyone is dying"

me "let's fix it"

npc talks for 2 minutes while people burn to death

me "just let me do it"

npc "try a raptor mount to jump around"

me "I'm going to go smoke"

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

nesamdoom posted:

I made a mesmer asura just to be a jump puzzler. would it be worth kitting them to give WvW a shot even though I don't really play? WvW is a shite place to learn a new class, but I don't know if it's worth the effort just because I wanted a character that is easy to jump around with.

If nothing else, playing a class makes you better understand their strengths and limitations so that you know how to best go about engaging them.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Actuarial Fables posted:

If nothing else, playing a class makes you better understand their strengths and limitations so that you know how to best go about engaging them.

Fair enough point. I'll do some stuff with them to get a feel and see if I can make flashy stuff work for me

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
My advice with WvW is always try to keep it simplified in your head. All you really need is a method of ranged attacks usually, as long as you're running with a group/zerg that's typically what you need to do to tag/get loot/level up. People might yell at you for this or that but whatever, play however you want and with whatever is fun for you first and foremost. Of course it can be much more complex than this and this simplified look at things doesn't translate as well to say... solo roaming or small group stuff.

Realistically however, you're going to die. You're going to run into some massive bullshit at some point or get jumped by way too many people while alone and sometimes you're going to get frustrated about it or not being able to do specific things like capture something. Just comes with the territory, really. I'd also naturally suggest bringing whatever skills you enjoy, especially anything that's an AoE attack skill for those bigger fights.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

With the upcoming changes I don't think it would be too unrealistic to play the arrow cart build on ranger in WvW zergs - 2 longbows with the cd reducing traits, 2 charge barrages sounds like some poo poo to throw on the enemy team at no too big a risk

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
With untamed for additional cooldown reduction and AoE attacks. Untamed keeps winning.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

People hate zergs when they on the receiving end of one where theirs doesn't win. As someone who is only ever in wvw firmly for reward track progress I do and will continue to seek out and hover in a zerg and call me whatever the hell you like I get that gift of battle all the same. If they won't let me get the thing any other way zergball it is for ole [insert whatever poorly specc'd alt I decide to send in there, usually entirely based on who has the most inventory space at any given time].

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Lonk posted:

My advice with WvW is always try to keep it simplified in your head. All you really need is a method of ranged attacks usually, as long as you're running with a group/zerg that's typically what you need to do to tag/get loot/level up. People might yell at you for this or that but whatever, play however you want and with whatever is fun for you first and foremost. Of course it can be much more complex than this and this simplified look at things doesn't translate as well to say... solo roaming or small group stuff.

Realistically however, you're going to die. You're going to run into some massive bullshit at some point or get jumped by way too many people while alone and sometimes you're going to get frustrated about it or not being able to do specific things like capture something. Just comes with the territory, really. I'd also naturally suggest bringing whatever skills you enjoy, especially anything that's an AoE attack skill for those bigger fights.

As a new player to WvW, what's your opinion on going for Minstrel gear and a Healbrand build?

I've heard FBs get blown up and become priority targets (makes sense, honestly). I wanna spam stability, condi cleanse, aegis, and heals for the zerg ball. My biggest concern is that without a premade/organized group, I've invested heavily into support and have like no damage. I'd probably get stomped if caught out in the open alone/roaming. Maybe swap over to Dragonhunter or something more aggressive when not in a group?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I can say that I've had my rear end firmly stomped in wvw by every single class in the game, while playing every class so it probably matters more to just really know & gel with the class you're in so it might as well be one you like. Reaper has good survivability & can hit hard in shroud if that's any help i survive reasonably well there but if someone knows what they're doing they trash me pretty hard and effectively - which is awesome when I'm bait and they just wasted all their coolest poo poo on my dumb nooby rear end.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Jedah posted:

As a new player to WvW, what's your opinion on going for Minstrel gear and a Healbrand build?

I've heard FBs get blown up and become priority targets (makes sense, honestly). I wanna spam stability, condi cleanse, aegis, and heals for the zerg ball. My biggest concern is that without a premade/organized group, I've invested heavily into support and have like no damage. I'd probably get stomped if caught out in the open alone/roaming. Maybe swap over to Dragonhunter or something more aggressive when not in a group?

If you want to solo as a guardian, WB is your best bet. I don't know the build, but it seems that whenever I see a fucker with S/S + Hammer switch, I'm dead on my fuckin screen instantly (that seems to be the build from the latest large balance batch, but WB has always been a good roamer due to high mobility)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jedah posted:

join any wvw map, type "hfb here" into /team and you will immediately get invited to whatever raid is currently happening and get all the fuckin lootbags, because due to how stability works, every single group of 5 players needs exactly one hfb to constantly pulse stab or you will not have fun doing poo poo in wvw that day lmao

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tambaloneus posted:

People hate zergs when they on the receiving end of one where theirs doesn't win. As someone who is only ever in wvw firmly for reward track progress I do and will continue to seek out and hover in a zerg and call me whatever the hell you like I get that gift of battle all the same. If they won't let me get the thing any other way zergball it is for ole [insert whatever poorly specc'd alt I decide to send in there, usually entirely based on who has the most inventory space at any given time].

i like circling a zerg and harassing the reinforcements, even better if i peel a bunch of people off and take them on a benny hill chase

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Truga posted:

join any wvw map, type "hfb here" into /team and you will immediately get invited to whatever raid is currently happening and get all the fuckin lootbags, because due to how stability works, every single group of 5 players needs exactly one hfb to constantly pulse stab or you will not have fun doing poo poo in wvw that day lmao

Thanks, yes, this is exactly what I wanna do.

Reoxygenation posted:

If you want to solo as a guardian, WB is your best bet. I don't know the build, but it seems that whenever I see a fucker with S/S + Hammer switch, I'm dead on my fuckin screen instantly (that seems to be the build from the latest large balance batch, but WB has always been a good roamer due to high mobility)

Good call, I gotta try WB, especially with Pistols coming out soon, you know there's gonna be cool builds. I was thinking Dragonhunter too, because it has the pull with Hunter's Verdict, annoying traps, and Longbow for spamming range.

Mostly I wanna learn to go ledge fishing like Candy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOkmkzub6hk

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Lonk posted:

I think I need to stop trying reaper and berserker in WvW. My normal style being diving into a fight just doesn't work. Maybe I'll see about getting my weaver for it because that's my main ranged playstyle. Good view on WvW. I don't mind a death, but it does feel like pushing against a wall when respawning to the same thing.

Tambaloneus posted:

I can say that I've had my rear end firmly stomped in wvw by every single class in the game, while playing every class so it probably matters more to just really know & gel with the class you're in so it might as well be one you like. Reaper has good survivability & can hit hard in shroud if that's any help i survive reasonably well there but if someone knows what they're doing they trash me pretty hard and effectively - which is awesome when I'm bait and they just wasted all their coolest poo poo on my dumb nooby rear end.

:lol: I do this as reaper a bunch. outside of a zerg I can tank for alil bit and anyone around can focus. I'll die, but the group can win and pick me up, or we lose and head back to base. I also do this in fractals because I pretty much do condition damage so once I lay them down I might as well pull everything and tank so everyone else can pile on damage.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I don't always wvw, but when I do, joining a zerg with full signet rifle mech and mortar kit brings in bags. Useful combo fields, some snares/cc, stunbreak, 1500 range. Mortar trajectory lets you saturate otherwise unhittable areas. Gotta watch out for reflects but the mortar arc means you have more than enough time to see it coming and move. Usually stick to pure zerker DPS build, but it works for aDPS too.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 17, 2024

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

nesamdoom posted:

I think I need to stop trying reaper and berserker in WvW. My normal style being diving into a fight just doesn't work. Maybe I'll see about getting my weaver for it because that's my main ranged playstyle. Good view on WvW. I don't mind a death, but it does feel like pushing against a wall when respawning to the same thing.

:lol: I do this as reaper a bunch. outside of a zerg I can tank for alil bit and anyone around can focus. I'll die, but the group can win and pick me up, or we lose and head back to base. I also do this in fractals because I pretty much do condition damage so once I lay them down I might as well pull everything and tank so everyone else can pile on damage.

power lb zerker is fantastic in wvw and will get you infinity bags bc you can tag 30 people at a time

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Can confirm that mortar kit is amazing for WvW. It’s hilarious watching enemies just taking your fire while standing still on the wall of a tower or keep until they die, lol

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i like circling a zerg and harassing the reinforcements, even better if i peel a bunch of people off and take them on a benny hill chase

If you manage to make entertainment & even success out of someone else's zerg you're playing the game right :D

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Might not be GW2, but this is the most relatable MMO video ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzO16KJ07ZI

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

nesamdoom posted:

me and about 3-4 other dudes got absolutely munted by a condi reaper in wvw who just kept spamming fears somehow. i was on a healer and nearly died, can't figure out the build but there were so many fears

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

where the red fern gropes posted:

me and about 3-4 other dudes got absolutely munted by a condi reaper in wvw who just kept spamming fears somehow. i was on a healer and nearly died, can't figure out the build but there were so many fears

Was someone on your side making GBS threads out stability? Stability converts to fear and necro gets a shitload of boon conversion.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
I saw a few pages back someone mentioned having put 60 hours in on steamdeck, any chance anyone has control and graphics configuration resources to share? I downloaded the non-steam client in desktop mode and ran it in game mode using Proton Experimental. The launcher ran and installed everything overnight, going to see if it actually runs once works done and then begin the task of figuring out keybinds for one of the most mouse and keyboardinest MMOs out there.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I have played over 300 hours of GW2 on my steam deck, I run just about everything (except animations) on low. If you play on the steam deck natively, it also looks blurred because of the lower resolution, but it runs more than fine on a plugged in monitor through a dock, if that's something you don't mind considering.

There's some community-made layouts available, and they are mostly serviceable-to-good, so you can fiddle with those as you'd like also. Playing with action camera is a big thing, too.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Oof, you need a lot of Stabilizing Matrices for a full set of leggy armor. What's the least painful way to get them besides the TP? I'm guessing salvaging rings from LS currency.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

Reoxygenation posted:

I have played over 300 hours of GW2 on my steam deck, I run just about everything (except animations) on low. If you play on the steam deck natively, it also looks blurred because of the lower resolution, but it runs more than fine on a plugged in monitor through a dock, if that's something you don't mind considering.

There's some community-made layouts available, and they are mostly serviceable-to-good, so you can fiddle with those as you'd like also. Playing with action camera is a big thing, too.

Thank you very much for the advice! I have always played on my desktop computer so would be looking have this as a handheld couch option, I’ll see how it looks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

Oof, you need a lot of Stabilizing Matrices for a full set of leggy armor. What's the least painful way to get them besides the TP? I'm guessing salvaging rings from LS currency.

it's probably some form of ring, but be advised that "plain" rings (as in, not attuned or infused) only drop 3 matrices on average, which doesn't even cover the cost of an ascended salvage kit.

ninja edit: frankly, it's probably the amulets from bjora's marches? i think you can buy them after you do that guy's collection of meats/foods

real edit: ok so rings really are the best, but yeah, if you don't run fractals and get a lot of "upgraded" versions, it's probably better to just buy on TP

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 18, 2024