Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just pulled the trigger on a Netgear AX5300 for now during BestBuy's 3-day sale. If it sucks at least I can return it to the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Arson Daily posted:

I'm such an idiot. You're right the U6 is 44v minimum and the injectors I have are both 24. Dang I didn't even think to check.

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing with an onboard POE-out that turned out to be too little. Fortunately I had a correct POE injector lying around which fixed it for me it's just not as pretty as I wanted :sigh:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I guess in a way it worked out since all the old stuff is in the garage and the shiny new stuff is in the house but man what a trying half day that was. Old gear in the garage is working great though so I'll take it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm a networking novice trying to understand DNS a little bit. Can someone explain, from the screenshot below, why resolving the dns for SA gives me a small entry but resolving the dns for theverge.com gives me all that extra info?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A record vs cname record.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Hughmoris posted:

I'm a networking novice trying to understand DNS a little bit. Can someone explain, from the screenshot below, why resolving the dns for SA gives me a small entry but resolving the dns for theverge.com gives me all that extra info?

SA being a small entity and on a small budget (relatively speaking) is doing things "the old way" by just having a couple A records sent of their dual load balanced clusters/sites. The two entries you see are static and point to two distinct locations by IP (I don't think they're anycasted but maybe)

The latter theverge.com subscribes to fastly with an enterprise-tier custom built load balancer that makes real time decisions.. instead of creating an A record (domain to IP) or two, they CNAME (delegate domain resolution to another domain) which happens to be owned by the company Fastly. They have a very sophisticate system that points them to a pool of anycasted resolvers to dig the SNI (server name indicator, in the security handshake, in addition to the HTTP hostname sent) and will get a resolution A address from one of them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Not sure why powershell gave you the SOA information for the fastly.com zone, that's strange.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sniep posted:

SA being a small entity and on a small budget (relatively speaking) is doing things "the old way" by just having a couple A records sent of their dual load balanced clusters/sites. The two entries you see are static and point to two distinct locations by IP (I don't think they're anycasted but maybe)

The latter theverge.com subscribes to fastly with an enterprise-tier custom built load balancer that makes real time decisions.. instead of creating an A record (domain to IP) or two, they CNAME (delegate domain resolution to another domain) which happens to be owned by the company Fastly. They have a very sophisticate system that points them to a pool of anycasted resolvers to dig the SNI (server name indicator, in the security handshake, in addition to the HTTP hostname sent) and will get a resolution A address from one of them.

SA uses Cloudflare; Cloudflare's CDN uses anycast routing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arson Daily posted:

I'm such an idiot. You're right the U6 is 44v minimum and the injectors I have are both 24. Dang I didn't even think to check.
24V nominal is supposed to be for "passive" devices that don't have a stepdown converter to get them to the 5V they would normally run on, but almost every PoE device that's actually deployed is 48V nominal, so normally you don't have to think about PoE injectors if you don't have a PoE switch.

Ubiquiti decided to complicate their own electrical design and make things worse for their future customers in picking the passive part of the spec, and given my experience with USGs (3 separate devices failed in 5 years, despite the wall-wart being on a UPS), I have a hard time thinking it's not deliberate.
More annoyingly, the USG doesn't do PoE-in despite there being no logical reason for it not to do so.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are there any consumer routers to avoid? Or brands? My current TP-Link AC router is gradually failing, so I need to replace it, but I keep bouncing off the research I feel I should do.

Really looking at ASUS, Netgear, and Linksys - I've kind of soured on TP-Link at this point. I'm not above getting another TP-Link if they're all about the same, though.

One thing I'd really rather avoid is having a requirement to use a proprietary phone app to manage the device - just let me log in from a web browser, goddamnit.
If you like TP-Link as a brand, and want the fancy central management that Ubiquiti offers, check out TP-Link Omada.
The ER7217PC does routing, switching, PoE injection (for an AP that integrates into the Omada setup), and it can function as the controller (a WebUI, which you'd normally need to self-host, buy a separate device, or pay for cloud access to get), and VPN concatenation (with IPSec and/or OpenVPN).

:ninja:EDIT: Welp, I was too late as I'd left the tab open.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

astral posted:

A record vs cname record.

Sniep posted:

Ok that makes sense, thanks!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just as a quick update, I got the Netgear RAX49 hooked up tonight, and I think my old TP-Link router was doing worse than I realized. Speedtests have jumped up to 800-900 Mbps down, which is what I should be getting. My internal network speed is now over 1 Gbps, so the AC card in my desktop is finally living up to its promise.

Part of me wonders if the ethernet cable I was using on the old router wasn't great, but that wouldn't explain why one 5ghz channel would drop in and out, or both 5ghz channels getting sketchy and dropping out sometimes.

I also appreciate that Netgear wasn't too bad about trying to force their app on me - there was a link on the first page when I fired up the router that let me just go into manual setup.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
OK, I'm about 200 pages behind on this thread, so apologies if this question has already been asked!

My in-law's condo has a long layout with concrete and metal walls so WiFi is pretty unreliable at the far ends of the condo. I was gonna install a mesh system for them to improve things.

A few years ago my elderly neighbors had a very similar issue with their (brick-walled) condo. I told them to buy an Orbi set (based on what I read in this thread, probably), I installed them for them, they said they worked great, and I haven't heard anything about them since.

Based on that experience I was just gonna get a set of Orbis, but they are crazy expensive now! Close to $500 for Wifi 6, almost $1,000 if you want WiFi 6E. After doing some more research I found that the Asus ZenWiFi XD5 gets good reviews and is less than half the price.

Things I like about these:
- They're smaller, which is probably preferable for my in-laws so they're less conspicuous
- I generally like Asus's WiFi equipment
- Affordable!

My main concern was I found a review saying that they weren't that stable until they enabled a feature that automatically reboots them every day (which sounds pretty hacky). I don't want to be dealing with complaints from my father-in-law about the system I installed!

Things I want:
- Don't want to have to deal with anything that only allows an app for configuration
- Super stable
- Allows AP-only mode. From some Internet research I found the modem/gateway/WiFi router that their ISP uses and it's some super generic thing that I can only find referenced on one site, the vendor's. (And the link to the manual is broken). So I'm not sure if there will be an easy way to put it in bridge mode, and I think the device might also do some IP-based TV stuff, so it probably needs to stick around.
- Don't need the fastest thing as long as signal is stable/consistent and coverage is good. I think the Internet service is maybe 200Mbps synchronous.
- Ideally something under $300 for 2 nodes, I think 2 should be enough, but 3 is probably fine.

I noticed sometimes with sales it's cheaper to get a mesh kit that has three nodes instead of 2. Is there any downside to adding an extra node or are they smart enough to turn down broadcast power as needed so as not to add noise? Will the extra "hop" of the third node make things worse than just using two (assuming wireless backhaul).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah Orbi's have gotten expensive.

Have you considered just running a wire? If its a condo they probably don't want to renovate, but its cheap enough to run some Cat 6 along the base or ceiling trim. Just dunk the whole cable (sans ends) in a bucket of paint for a day and then stretch it out as it dries if you need to color match it to the surroundings.

To me, $20 vs $1000 is a good reason to not overengineer the problem.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I would just go for used Eero's, the original versions still work great although they get no new software updates. So many were sold that different versions are really affordable on Ebay. Sensible to pick ones with more than one radio though, to separate the backhaul if not using wired ethernet. You should also be able to pickup Google or Nest WiFi devices similarly.

Eero was one of the first brands to include a watchdog to reset on failure, idk the current status across the industry though?

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah Orbi's have gotten expensive.

Have you considered just running a wire? If its a condo they probably don't want to renovate, but its cheap enough to run some Cat 6 along the base or ceiling trim. Just dunk the whole cable (sans ends) in a bucket of paint for a day and then stretch it out as it dries if you need to color match it to the surroundings.

To me, $20 vs $1000 is a good reason to not overengineer the problem.
Yeah, this is basically what I did at my own place, but I think the ILAF (in-law acceptance factor) on this solution is going to be low.

MrMoo posted:

I would just go for used Eero's, the original versions still work great although they get no new software updates. So many were sold that different versions are really affordable on Ebay. Sensible to pick ones with more than one radio though, to separate the backhaul if not using wired ethernet. You should also be able to pickup Google or Nest WiFi devices similarly.

Eero was one of the first brands to include a watchdog to reset on failure, idk the current status across the industry though?

Yeah I almost took a friend up on some Google Wifi units he was getting rid of until I realized you could only configure them through some app associated with your Google account. I don't want to deal with the hassle of using my own device/Google account to set them up, then trying to transfer it to my father-in-law's phone/Google account. I'm also opposed in general to these app-only units, because you're at the mercy of the vendor to continue supporting them (and I'm old and would rather just use a computer than a phone). That's why I mentioned that in my OP that I didn't want any app-only systems, and ruled out the Eeros and Google units.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

cheque_some posted:

Yeah, this is basically what I did at my own place, but I think the ILAF (in-law acceptance factor) on this solution is going to be low.

If they have coax you could also use MoCA adaptors to link the access points and/or devices.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

cheque_some posted:

That's why I mentioned that in my OP that I didn't want any app-only systems, and ruled out the Eeros and Google units.

You do get the ability to remote admin though. Some ISPs proxy through their own infrastructure for web interfaces, Optimum's latest router is an example of this, but very basic.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cheque_some posted:

Yeah I almost took a friend up on some Google Wifi units he was getting rid of until I realized you could only configure them through some app associated with your Google account. I don't want to deal with the hassle of using my own device/Google account to set them up, then trying to transfer it to my father-in-law's phone/Google account. I'm also opposed in general to these app-only units, because you're at the mercy of the vendor to continue supporting them (and I'm old and would rather just use a computer than a phone). That's why I mentioned that in my OP that I didn't want any app-only systems, and ruled out the Eeros and Google units.

My inlaws have Google wifi and while it makes my skin crawl it's amazing to pop open the app from my own house and see wtf is up. "Yeah the guest room is a dead zone because the wifi unit in the living room is unplugged." Sure enough it had been unplugged. You can also just go over there and configure it using their own phone if you want. For my new house we're renovating I bought a refub eero for $30 on black friday, configured it using a eero-dedicated account (you don't have to use your Amazon one, it's an "eero" account,) deleted the app, taped the SSID/Password to the top, and don't care that it's now CAKED in drywall dust and crap. Technically I can use it to see if my contractor is on-site because his phone and laptop are hooked up to it.

I'm with you on the "gently caress this app poo poo" but man is it handy when it's not your house.

The google ones even do intelligent backhaul. So my father-in-law has a unit on his desk, switch, and the printer and his computer are plugged into the switch. Neither has wifi configured and it all "just works."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hello, wireheads.

I currently have Cat 5e run to most places in the house that I want it, with 3 UniFi in-wall APs for wifi (5) coverage. The APs are PoE off a UniFi switch, and I have an EdgeRouter that does PPPoE passthrough through the ISP’s router/AP. I use the switch ports on a couple of the in-wall APs to connect our desktops and a couple of consoles. Everything is gigabit. In the wiring closet (which is sadly not the right size for rack-mountable stuff) is the home server, which is used for backups but not streaming media currently.

In the office, I have a small LAN of my desktop, a Mac Mini, a RPi, and either my Steam Deck or laptop depending on what I’m fiddling with, all connected into a 2.5GbE switch.

For no especially urgent reason, I’d like to upgrade my wired network to be 5GbE+, which basically means 10GbE because nobody ships 5GbE stuff it seems. I’d also like to upgrade to Wifi 7 to let newer devices take advantage of their fancier Wifi chips.

I think I can get away with leaving the Cat 5e in place for 10GbE since the runs are pretty short, but otherwise I’ll pull Cat 6a. I’m not sure what to do for APs, since finding in-wall ones that have 10GbE ports on them seems unlikely, even once Wifi 7 is out. I’d really like to keep using PoE even if I have to deploy separate APs in the ceilings or whatever. Obviously (?) for Wifi 7 I’d need beyond-gigabit backhaul on the APs to make use of the full speed. I can get up to 8GbE ISP service, but that doesn’t really make sense until I have a border device that can handle more than a gigabit.

I’m not emotionally attached to any of this hardware, though the UniFi controller interface isn’t terrible and I have learned to live with the EdgeRouter admin. I do really like the in-wall APs, but the UBNT Wifi 6 ones are the size of a dinner plate, so I might be out of luck there.

What are people using for 10GbE home networking at this point?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I’m not emotionally attached to any of this hardware money in my bank account

Also send me your 2.5gbps switch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mean whatever I end up replacing will find a good home somewhere else, but yeah I’m not especially price sensitive and some of this gear was hand-me-downs from the really crazy home networking folks I used to work with.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Subjunctive posted:

What are people using for 10GbE home networking at this point?

Team unifi here, My top of rack is a UDM SE (2.5gbe + 10gbe WAN) to Enterprise XG (24x 10gbe LAN) then either devices direct into the wall connected to that, or thru cheap trendnet 10/2.5gbe switches that wont show up in unifi, for anything over gbit. most of everything tho is still gbit off a pair of unifi switch poe's for all the cams, APs, and remaining wall jacks that just go into flex minis.

i would sell a family member for unifi to drop a new flex mini that's exactly the same as the current flex mini, only $49 or $59 or something and 2.5gbe. same PoE, same form factor/design. Please for the love of god unifi give us 2.5gbe flex minis

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
A small office I manage I use a Ubiquiti 8 port "Enterprise 8 PoE switch". It's connected via a direct attach SFP+ cable to a non ubiquiti 10gb switch that was already in place, and it powers 3 Unifi 6e Enterprise APs without issue at 2.5Gb each.

THF13 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 14, 2024

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Subjunctive posted:

For no especially urgent reason, I’d like to upgrade my wired network to be 5GbE+, which basically means 10GbE because nobody ships 5GbE stuff it seems.

I think I can get away with leaving the Cat 5e in place for 10GbE since the runs are pretty short, but otherwise I’ll pull Cat 6a. I’m not sure what to do for APs, since finding in-wall ones that have 10GbE ports on them seems unlikely, even once Wifi 7 is out. I’d really like to keep using PoE even if I have to deploy separate APs in the ceilings or whatever. Obviously (?) for Wifi 7 I’d need beyond-gigabit backhaul on the APs to make use of the full speed.

I’d point out that if you want >1gig runs to the APs you probably need mgig ports rather than 10g. Very few 10g APs out there but a lot of 2.5 and 5. That narrows down the switch field considerably. Cisco, netgear, trendnet, and ubnt have models at least. I’m using a WS-C3850-12X48UL with 48 ports of UPOE, 12 of which are 1/2.5/5/10, with a 4-port SFP+ cage.

I’ve had 5gbit backhauls for my APs for a while. You still won’t really go much over 1gbps to a single client (and only then if your spectrum is really clean) but I can do speed tests into the aggregate 3 gbit range if I use a few simultaneous devices. However that just never happens in the real world at my house and I can’t recommend spending money on this.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
As an owner of a UXG-Pro, a USW-Aggregation, and U6-Enterprises plus various switches, I also cannot recommend the spend to get 10Gbe to APs. 10 is only useful for large file transfers between major devices. It’s worth it to use 10Gbe between high power stuff within one room, I just have a network rack with DAC cables. It’s worth it to use 10Gbe to link a few critical rooms, I ran fiber to my shed, my office, and my living room.

If you’re gonna do it go with fiber for annything over ~25ft instead of Cat6. Worth it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KS posted:

WS-C3850-12X48UL with 48 ports of UPOE, 12 of which are 1/2.5/5/10, with a 4-port SFP+ cage.

I’ve had 5gbit backhauls for my APs for a while. You still won’t really go much over 1gbps to a single client (and only then if your spectrum is really clean) but I can do speed tests into the aggregate 3 gbit range if I use a few simultaneous devices. However that just never happens in the real world at my house and I can’t recommend spending money on this.

How ungodly loud is that WS-C3850? I was seeing them on ebay but also it would live in a closet inside my main living space. I know what 1U datacenter switches sound like at full tilt and I assume this thing is no different? Given most of the noise is high frequency awfulness I wonder if foam sound baffles in the closet would help at all.

Multi-gig AP backhaul commentary - I can barely get my APs to max out 1G backhaul currently under non-simulated usage. I can't imagine spending money on it yet, the tech just doesn't feel there for home use. Unless you have a whole group of people over streaming on their laptops/phones you're just not going to feel the improvement. I realize this is an academic concern because the prompt is "I want to spend a few grand on my hobby of absurdist home networking" and who am I to comment driving an out of warranty German car I cannot do my own work on a few hundred miles a year. :v:

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It’s loud and I wouldn’t use it except in my unfinished basement. 2.5gbit POE switches are probably the sweet spot.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
My 8 year old UAP-AC-LITE is still unbelievably rock solid. I never interface with it, it has spat out 2 networks constantly, without wavering.
But I've recently moved to a bigger place and range isnt quite cutting it anymore. Most noticeable with things like plex on firesticks falling back to 2.4ghz and struggling.

It has worked so well up till now, I've not thought about and kept up to date with wifi standards, meshes etc, at all. A quick search and I see the AC-Lite is, remarkably, still on sale (£79 amazon uk). But seems the U6+ at £95 seems like a more sensible choice. Agreed?

From what I read, the U6+ might just give me enough coverage all on it's own. But as I already have it, can I include the AC-Lite in a repeater/mesh type mode, so connects back to the U6+ via wifi, and can I then connect a switch to its ethernet port? (Until I hardwire in more networking cable here) IF it's possible, is this an ok idea, or do I look at an off the shelf mesh product instead?

I havent had the unifi controller software running for ages, so probably missing several firmware and feature updates. I'm not usually the 'it ain't broke, don't fix it type', but it's actually served me well on the AC-Lite.

The AC lite is powered by it's poe injector, through the passthrough on a edgerouter x. The £95 U6+ comes without a POE injector, does the 24v/48v chat from further up the page mean my old injector + passthrough wont work with the U6+?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The U6+ will need the more modern 48V PoE injector. And the Lites will still wirelessly mesh just fine. However both the 6+ and the lite are only 2x2 antennas, so meshing will start to quickly eat into their ability to serve more clients, but it sounds like you've got a fairly small place with only a few devices.

The U7-Pro did just come out, and is an upgrade over the 6+, since you're going to be buying one new AP anyway might be worth the extra few dollars.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 15, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

Unless you have a whole group of people over streaming on their laptops/phones you're just not going to feel the improvement. I realize this is an academic concern because the prompt is "I want to spend a few grand on my hobby of absurdist home networking" and who am I to comment driving an out of warranty German car I cannot do my own work on a few hundred miles a year. :v:

Fair enough. The use case I have in mind is both my wife and me installing games on our Decks at the same time, and I’ll freely admit that I’m stretching to get there.

I can wait for the hardware to evolve, since there’s no incipient crisis.

It’s too bad that 5GbE didn’t get more support, since that would be closer to reasonable for my use case, but it seems like there isn’t a lot between 1GbE and 10GbE when it comes to switches and APs.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
5gbps is such an odd duck. All the 2.5x stuff came out and it was a huge leap forward. Then commercial uses became all 25G based (25/50/100) and there is dwindling demand for the stuff in the 1g range outside of wifi back haul. Home users are seeing precipitous drop off in wired usage as well. The 100G as 4x25G has gotten so so cheap that innovation around the slower speeds is pretty limited. 32x100G for $15k? All day long.

I was hoping basically 10G chips (4x2.5G) would become so cheap it was easy to make switches where it was broken out into 4 ports but that doesn't seem to be the case yet. I imagine the volume just isn't there on the manufacturing lines.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think 4x10G with the QSFP+ and the 4x25G with the QSFP28 really set the stage for what's coming. We're going to go from 2.5 to 10 to 25. The intermediate step of 5 isn't really needed. Its just a side effect of the way the PHY channels are split into lanes, with pairs of 4 still being a somewhat magic engineering number to hit your targets. Similarly with GbE being already so fast for 99% of residential usecase while 400G is becoming a must have at the data center level is splitting the mass production impetus.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I was hoping basically 10G chips (4x2.5G) would become so cheap it was easy to make switches where it was broken out into 4 ports but that doesn't seem to be the case yet. I imagine the volume just isn't there on the manufacturing lines.

there has been some movement there with fully integrated 2.5G switch chips starting to appear, as opposed to the ones that need separate PHYs, but so far they're only shipping in off-brand chinese switches i think

astral
Apr 26, 2004

There's also some of the newer trendnet stuff (unmanaged):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CJMTT9DF/
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unmanaged-TEG-S5061-2-5GBASE-T-Switching/dp/B0CJ9F8RJF/

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

cheque_some posted:

You can set up "manager" accounts in addition to a main owner account that give you the same admin rights so you don't need to do any funky account sharing. (at least, you could a few years ago before I dumped my google wifi stuff for ubiquity :haw: )

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Am I missing something in the UniFi line up for this use case:

My brother is in an apartment in Philly, and it's a newer one with the usual structured media enclosure (SME) containing a Verizon FIOS gateway, patch panel, etc etc. When I lived in a similar unit, I put an EdgeRouter 4 + switch inside that enclosure, so all of my apartment ports were connected. He has 4 ports coming out of the patch panel in that enclosure, of which only one is currently hooked up to the output of the FIOS gateway.

However, in his case... I want to put the AP in the living room and ideally tuck gateway + controller + switch functionality into that structured enclosure. Looking at McCann's handy chart... Ubiquiti didn't seem to design something for this use case? It's like you have to use a UXG-Lite + USW-Mini in the SME to get the basic functionality in there. Why don't they make a single box, hosts controller, 5 switch ports, basic little guy to tuck in as CPE in such situations?

I'm gonna ask him to find the 4th port to see if it's in the living room somewhere, because at least then I could use the UniFi Express, put it in living room, and run its LAN port back to a switch in the SME to make everything 'live'.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
They've got a few solutions that are close to what you want but they're all optimized for a different goal. I think the Dream Router being the "single box" solution maybe got missed because of the included AP?

The Dream Router is meant to go in a communal space rather than a closet, has the AP, Router, Controller, and PoE Switch, all-in-one. You could put one of those in the enclosure, and then run another AP using the patch panel.

The Unifi Express, is a cloud controller + Gigabit WAN gateway + AP, but no switch. And is designed for tiny deployments. You could put one of those plus a switch in your enclosure. You'd have two devices though.

Your proposed solution of the Gateway Lite + a switch is probably the best feature wise, even if its split over two devices. The Gateway Lite is better for people like me who don't touch the cloud ecosystem too. Being able to to go with either a Mini for a simple 5 port, or a USW-Flex for a PoE 5 port (The Flex you need to buy a PoE++ adapter since you're not powering it off of an existing PoE++ line), just going with a US-8-60W might be a better option if you need PoE though, as its wall powered. I think if you can you'd want the AP you plan to install being PoE powered rather than needing an outlet and a PoE injector though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

They've got a few solutions that are close to what you want but they're all optimized for a different goal. I think the Dream Router being the "single box" solution maybe got missed because of the included AP?

The Dream Router is meant to go in a communal space rather than a closet, has the AP, Router, Controller, and PoE Switch, all-in-one. You could put one of those in the enclosure, and then run another AP using the patch panel.

The Unifi Express, is a cloud controller + Gigabit WAN gateway + AP, but no switch. And is designed for tiny deployments. You could put one of those plus a switch in your enclosure. You'd have two devices though.

Your proposed solution of the Gateway Lite + a switch is probably the best feature wise, even if its split over two devices. The Gateway Lite is better for people like me who don't touch the cloud ecosystem too. Being able to to go with either a Mini for a simple 5 port, or a USW-Flex for a PoE 5 port (The Flex you need to buy a PoE++ adapter since you're not powering it off of an existing PoE++ line), just going with a US-8-60W might be a better option if you need PoE though, as its wall powered. I think if you can you'd want the AP you plan to install being PoE powered rather than needing an outlet and a PoE injector though.

Well, good news at least, he found the fourth port:

Maybe the folks thought about this when they wired this up. But with this, I just have to have my brother work through tracing the ports (probably will just have him use switches and look for LEDs since he doesn't have tools) and I can put a UX in the living room, run WAN into it, LAN out to a switch by the TV + a switch in the SME. I have 2-3 spare USW-Minis anyways, and that'll fall under the device limit, so that might be the best option forward... though the lack of PoE kinda sucks. I could add an injector to the line going back to the SME though.

The enclosure is tucked away in a corner near some ducts, so despite the small square footage, I think the WiFi performance would suck tucking the thing into the closet.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
How many jacks do you need live on the patch panel in the enclosure?

If it was me and both those jacks are properly terminated, I’d put a Dream Router there and connect one of the PoE ports to the second jack and run it to the second AP. No switches needed.

The Unifi express (UX) is the small form factor dream machine btw, if you want the device to run the controller (Uxg-lite requires a separate device like a cloud key, PC or cloud hosted). Not that you need a controller for home use, but it’ll make it a lot easier if you ever want to provide them support remotely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cyks posted:

How many jacks do you need live on the patch panel in the enclosure?

If it was me and both those jacks are properly terminated, I’d put a Dream Router there and connect one of the PoE ports to the second jack and run it to the second AP. No switches needed.

The Unifi express (UX) is the small form factor dream machine btw, if you want the device to run the controller (Uxg-lite requires a separate device like a cloud key, PC or cloud hosted). Not that you need a controller for home use, but it’ll make it a lot easier if you ever want to provide them support remotely.

Honestly, I think he just needs one for his workstation -- but I figured I'd just make them all live. I'm thinking UX + USW-Mini in the living room is the minimum I can get away with (lets him hardwire TV, PS5, etc.) and then if he says he's never going to use the other port, then just patching in the closet will be enough to make his workstation live.

And yeah, I want the UX because it has the controller -- part of the reason I want to upgrade him is so I can support him remotely like I do my parents. Doesn't require much, but recently walking them through configuration of the FIOS gateway and their existing router (which is my old Apple AirPort Express from... 2011, 2012-ish? the flat square one), I'd rather just get the entire family on the UniFi ecosystem and make my life easier too.

So:

FIOS -> Patch -> Living Room Jack 1- -> UX WAN ----> UX LAN ----> USW-Mini -> Living Room Jack 2 --> Patch --> Patch ---> Workstation

And 3 of the USW-Mini ports go to TV, PS5 and whatever. No injector needed, I can just send him one of my dual-port USB-C things from Anker and call it a day for powering the UX and Mini.