Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Intruder posted:

Still thinking about how MLB screwed Eric Sogard

Not familiar, what happened there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not familiar, what happened there

There was an official MLB sponsored face of MLB contest with fan voting, terminally online people like us boosted Eric Sogard to a huge lead, at the last minute thousands and thousands of votes for David Wright poured in from Korea so he won

Seemed shady but trolls had boosted Sogard to be in first to begin with so

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sogard is a doofus

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
that was kind of the point

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

sogard is a doofus

isn't he a huge antivaxxer

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

more falafel please posted:

isn't he a huge antivaxxer

Pretty sure he came out a huge chud but the voting thing was in 2014 so we didn't know at the time.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
just assuming a baseball player is a big idiot with terrible takes is a safe place to start and then you can just be pleasantly surprised from there if they aren't. this, of course, does not apply to our perfect boys from Japan though

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

just assuming a baseball player is a big idiot with terrible takes is a safe place to start and then you can just be pleasantly surprised from there if they aren't. this, of course, does not apply to our perfect boys from Japan though

Ichiro's view on Broken Window Education is problematic but you're not ready to have that conversation yet :colbert:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

Ichiro's view on Broken Window Education is problematic but you're not ready to have that conversation yet :colbert:
Probably taking kickbacks from a local glass repair guy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Ever since the Rangers won the World Series, I've been worried that if that didn't bring me joy, nothing else will either and that I essentially have nothing left to look forward to for the remaining decades of my life.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/CubsZone/status/1746276631725908255

PREACH

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Incoming Cubs Convention announcement that Cody is BACK

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

General Dog posted:

Ever since the Rangers won the World Series, I've been worried that if that didn't bring me joy, nothing else will either and that I essentially have nothing left to look forward to for the remaining decades of my life.

Sounds like if you're serious about this you should talk to someone, because that sounds like textbook clinical depression, and there are lots of things you can do about it.

But also while sports are fun and all, if your joy is dependent on your team winning a championship you're gonna have a pretty rough time most of the time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah if you’ve found yourself in a place where happiness and satisfaction in a hobby is dependent on winning it all then that’s a recipe to unhappiness. And probably isn’t really about the sports.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

also they have their core of players locked up for awhile and them winning another world series or two is completely possible

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah if you’ve found yourself in a place where happiness and satisfaction in a hobby is dependent on winning it all then that’s a recipe to unhappiness. And probably isn’t really about the sports.

I became really overly emotionally dependent on the Yankees for a few years there and honestly, 2023 was kind of helpful in that I didn't have much a choice but to figure out how to fix that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ve said it before but it’s worth saying again. I regret a lot of my posting last season and a lot of it was really about what was happening in my life and with me and how unhealthily I was engaging with all the parts of baseball and fandoms that upset me. Not being able to disengage from that and just letting it make me feel worse and worse was 100% about all kinds of other poo poo going on.

Sports should be a nice hobby. When they become something more it gets messy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hell yeah!

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
After the Braves won the World Series, Dansby Swanson said very loudly that the Braves needed to sign Freddie Freeman no matter what

They, uh, didn’t listen to him

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Cubs listened to him about keeping Belli last year, hope they listen again

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

bravesword posted:

After the Braves won the World Series, Dansby Swanson said very loudly that the Braves needed to sign Freddie Freeman no matter what

They, uh, didn’t listen to him

yeah cubsfans don't know this is a kiss of death rip bellinger

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Just saw on IG that Pedro Strop is at Cubs Con? That rules, I love players who are still fans of their old teams.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

Just saw on IG that Pedro Strop is at Cubs Con? That rules, I love players who are still fans of their old teams.

We put him below Justin Grimm on the music-festival-themed lineup poster lmao

He should be in the Cubs HOF. Top 5 Cub for me

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Justin Grimm is there too which is extremely funny.

e,f;b

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

Really happy Aramis is going un, I feel like he is one of the most underrated guys from the 2000s.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

Oh yeah I guess I could have just looked at the poster a little closer. Either way, Strop is cool and I'm glad that Cubs Con has been a fun time this year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
For reference this is the sum total of Justin Grimm's Chicago Cubs career:

Now you might be thinking okay, but is he some kind of 2016 postseason legend or something??? And the answer is no: he pitched a whopping 6.1 postseason innings for the Cubs between 15 and 16, in which he put up a cool 8.53 ERA. I don't even remember the two innings he pitched in the WS but apparently that happened and during them he allowed 4 ER's, lol.

Of course the problem is most of the core is still playing and on other teams and/or were spurned by the Cubs on their way out the door. So if you wanna rustle up some WS good feelings for the convention crowd the pickings get really goddamn slim after Zobrist.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
The stupid Cubs Con poster mostly listed current players in bigger text aside from a few guys. Like absolutely anybody is more hyped by Miles Mastrobuoni than Kerry Wood.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

General Dog is a Ted Cruz stan they have far more problems then "my team's WS ring feels empty"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Miles Mastroboni was called up and sent down 3 times during CubsCon so far

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a lot of pressure on hoyer if he doesn't want to his widow to get booed at the 2059 Cubs Covention

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

General Dog is a Ted Cruz stan they have far more problems then "my team's WS ring feels empty"

Just because I voted for him doesn’t mean I like him. I don’t think anyone likes him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lmao voting for ted cruz

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

General Dog posted:

Just because I voted for him doesn’t mean I like him. I don’t think anyone likes him.

You know that’s worse right

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I for one am still very happy with my team's World Series ring, and I can't wait to vote against Ted Cruz again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

General Dog posted:

lmao

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

E/N: the only guiding light in my life is glib misanthropy and an abstract contempt for the poor, why am I not happier?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
All of this negativity could be fixed

WITH ARMS WIDE OPEN

WIDE OOOOHHHH PEEEEHHHHNNN

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

General Dog posted:

oh so there's an easy explanation, you don't feel happiness because you have no soul, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Bregor posted:

All of this negativity could be fixed

WITH ARMS WIDE OPEN

WIDE OOOOHHHH PEEEEHHHHNNN