Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Imagine thinking you’re gonna die in a couple days and then deciding to go visit James Corden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Imagine thinking you’re gonna die in a couple days and then deciding to go visit James Corden.

"Well this sucks. If life is gonna be like this I guess dying isn't so bad."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Detective No. 27 posted:

I mean if your intention is to push him down a hole I can see it being worthwhile

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't know anything about Corden outside of Who, but I thought Craig and his performance as Craig were pretty likeable.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

I don't know anything about Corden outside of Who, but I thought Craig and his performance as Craig were pretty likeable.
I liked him so much on Who that I was briefly fooled into thinking he didn't suck as both a performer and a human being.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

I liked him so much on Who that I was briefly fooled into thinking he didn't suck as both a performer and a human being.

He's alright in Oceans 8 as well, but he's bloody awful when he's not acting and he went to a WGA meeting he wasn't invited to, to try and get them to let him pay junior writers less. He's a poo poo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Last week, someone spread a fake rumor about how a Glee reboot starring Corden was going to start filming soon and it got big enough that the Glee creator had to say they have no plans to reboot the show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

He's alright in Oceans 8 as well, but he's bloody awful when he's not acting and he went to a WGA meeting he wasn't invited to, to try and get them to let him pay junior writers less. He's a poo poo.

When they did the Gavin & Stacy reunion, they struggled to find crew to work on it because no one wanted to work with Cordon.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

When they did the Gavin & Stacy reunion, they struggled to find crew to work on it because no one wanted to work with Cordon.

Ruth Jones should have got the opportunities Cordon did.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Last week, someone spread a fake rumor about how a Glee reboot starring Corden was going to start filming soon and it got big enough that the Glee creator had to say they have no plans to reboot the show.

“Glee reboot starring James Corden” is probably the perfect nightmare sentence.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My rewatch has finished season 6. Closing Time is an okay episode which is buoyed up by some fantastic comic performances Smith. Would be completely forgettable if not for him really showing off his capabilities as a comic actor.

The Wedding of River Song is just an incredibly Moffat episode, with everything both positive and negative that that implies.

edit It also has some absolutely top tier Rory-ing.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 13, 2024

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LividLiquid posted:

Actually? Same. Like, actually same.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Kinda irritating how you can have stories with James Corden in them, written by Gareth loving Roberts, and they're perfectly decent stories.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Wolfechu posted:

Kinda irritating how you can have stories with James Corden in them, written by Gareth loving Roberts, and they're perfectly decent stories.

it's wild to me that of the two Cyberman-only stories that Matt Smtih got in his era, I prefer the James Corden/Gareth Roberts joint over the one written by NEIL GAIMAN

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...I literally forgot Gaiman did Nightmare In Silver.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think Gaiman would like to forget that too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nightmare in Silver was such a huge disappointment :smith:

We'll always have The Doctor's Wife at least!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Nightmare in Silver was such a huge disappointment :smith:

We'll always have The Doctor's Wife at least!

That ep is SO GOOD.

“Did you wish really hard?” :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

it's wild to me that of the two Cyberman-only stories that Matt Smtih got in his era, I prefer the James Corden/Gareth Roberts joint over the one written by NEIL GAIMAN

lol yeah, same feeling.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like Doctor Who is the last thing with James Cordon in it that that actually knew what James Cordon's strengths are. He's good at playing a relatively schlubby but overall pretty charming everyman, so I'm not surprised that his first career-definer was a sitcom, but that's clearly not what he wants to be so he keeps getting himself horribly cast.

He's like a British version of someone like Kevin James. Although from what I know Kevin James is actually a pretty nice person.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yup. There are plenty of schlubby everymen who aren't total elitist assholes who treat restaurant workers like poo poo to prove what a big man they are, so gently caress him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm another one who didn't like him and expected to dislike his Doctor Who episodes, then actually did like them and liked him in them. Also liked Gareth Roberts bringing a sitcommy tone to the show with the Corden episodes and The Caretaker, thought they were some of the standouts of their respective series. Well, not that Closing Time has that much competition. As if my questionable judgment wasn't already beyond doubt, let me just say while I'm here that I quite liked Nightmare In Silver

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

That ep is SO GOOD.

“Did you wish really hard?” :allears:

The Doctor telling House,"You're so much smaller on the inside" was a loving incredible line too. The TARDIS just obliterating House instantly the moment they faced off in a fair confrontation rocked.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Idris-TARDIS has some incredible lines. "I wanted to see the universe so I stole a Time Lord and ran away." and "Biting is brilliant! It's like kissing, but there's a winner." are standouts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

"I wanted to see the universe so I stole a Time Lord and ran away."

That's one of my favourite lines in the franchise, just for the way it perfectly recontextualises something and adds to it in a way that fits everything that came before.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

"You never take me where I want to go!"

"No, but I've always taken you where you NEED to go"

The Tardis as Idris was so lovely.

The_Doctor posted:

I think Gaiman would like to forget that too.

His experience on it (and then American Gods) essentially made him realize what not to do as a showrunner when he did Good Omens and Sandman and that is a hoot.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 14, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The TARDIS opening her first ever conversation with,"Goodbye!" because of course she experiences time constantly backwards/forwards/sideways and can't always wrap her head around the proper tense for these weird "linear" people ruled too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The TARDIS opening her first ever conversation with,"Goodbye!" because of course she experiences time constantly backwards/forwards/sideways and can't always wrap her head around the proper tense for these weird "linear" people ruled too.

"We have now reached the point in the conversation where you open the lock"

*Doctor looks on incredulously, then indeed opens the lock*

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"You talk, and run around, and bring home strays!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

"We have now reached the point in the conversation where you open the lock"

*Doctor looks on incredulously, then indeed opens the lock*

"This will always be the time we talked." :unsmith:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like to imagine when fifteen doubled the TARDIS it didn't turn into two TARDIS consciousnesses and living beings. Existing in two places at once is no problem for a mind that already exists across all of space and time. The TARDIS is just both here and there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think the idea is pretty much supposed to be that the "split" is just that eventually 14 and his TARDIS becomes 15 and his TARDIS?

But yeah, the TARDIS would probably have no issue with being in two places at the same time. Hell, if Scaroth can do it...

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I just can't get over the part in Nightmare in Silver where Warwick Davis' character is like "Yeah they blew up several solar systems to stop the cybermen, killing trillions, but you know who I feel bad for? The guy who had to pull the trigger".

Then you find out he's the guy that pulled the trigger...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I think the idea is pretty much supposed to be that the "split" is just that eventually 14 and his TARDIS becomes 15 and his TARDIS?

But yeah, the TARDIS would probably have no issue with being in two places at the same time. Hell, if Scaroth can do it...

The TARDIS has frequently been in two or even three places at the same time. Day of the Doctor, for instance.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“Which one is mine?”

<10 and 11 give eachother looks like it’s not incredibly obvious>

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dabir posted:

The TARDIS has frequently been in two or even three places at the same time. Day of the Doctor, for instance.

Yeah, I just meant from the perspective of the "current" TARDIS being in two places at the same time if you take the perspective that 14 and 15 "split" the current TARDIS so they could both have one. I don't necessarily think that's the case anyyway, I still think 14 and 15's TARDIS are very much meant to be from two different points in the TARDIS' timeline (as much as that can be understood, given what we've just been discussing about how the TARDIS experiences "time" in the first place).

Anyway, this all reminds me of The 5 Doctors where each of the Doctors appears to walk into the one TARDIS but it turns out that all of their respective versions of the TARDIS are just sitting in the same place at the same time. :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Anyway, this all reminds me of The 5 Doctors where each of the Doctors appears to walk into the one TARDIS but it turns out that all of their respective versions of the TARDIS are just sitting in the same place at the same time. :allears:

Imagine if One had come back out and grumpily asked who added color to his TARDIS - he liked the classic monochrome, thank you very much!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Imagine if One had come back out and grumpily asked who added color to his TARDIS - he liked the classic monochrome, thank you very much!

Even though their memory doesn't work like that (the earlier incarnation forgets after the event and doesn't remember till after they've experienced it as the later incarnation), after Twice Upon a Time, I like to imagine 1 meeting 3, seeing his hair and immediately assuming he was 12 and being confused that he doesn't remember that time they met in the trenches in WWI.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I'm another one who didn't like him and expected to dislike his Doctor Who episodes, then actually did like them and liked him in them. Also liked Gareth Roberts bringing a sitcommy tone to the show with the Corden episodes and The Caretaker, thought they were some of the standouts of their respective series. Well, not that Closing Time has that much competition. As if my questionable judgment wasn't already beyond doubt, let me just say while I'm here that I quite liked Nightmare In Silver

Nightmare in Silver is one where you can feel the floor moving under Gaiman as he's writing his drafts. I wonder if we'll ever see another episode from him, given his writing methodology doesn't seem to really match the needs of TV production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Nightmare in Silver is one where you can feel the floor moving under Gaiman as he's writing his drafts. I wonder if we'll ever see another episode from him, given his writing methodology doesn't seem to really match the needs of TV production.

He has a pretty heavy hand on Sandman and it's good IMO. I honestly think that the Cybermen just aren't in his wheelhouse.