Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

paul came back to manage authors of pain back in 2016/2017ish. they got called up to the main roster without him, he got let go, then AoT got let go during the pandemic. they got quietly rehired a while ago and ellering got brought back with them. they were a pet project of HHH's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joey McChrist posted:

paul came back to manage authors of pain back in 2016/2017ish. they got called up to the main roster without him, he got let go, then AoT got let go during the pandemic. they got quietly rehired a while ago and ellering got brought back with them. they were a pet project of HHH's.

Are the authors of pain a fun stable to watch? Is Ellering still good in promos? He used to have a way with words.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Mr Hootington posted:

Are the authors of pain a fun stable to watch? Is Ellering still good in promos? He used to have a way with words.
AoP's best work is from NXT, they were pretty fun to watch and Ellering was a great manager for them

I think the best match they had was DIY (Gargano & Ciampa) vs The Revival (FTR) vs Authors of Pain. You should definitely check that out, the months of lead-up to the match was really good though.

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 13, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They suck lol.

Mostly remembered for nearly killing one jobber (now AEW’s Anthony Bowens) by powerbombing another jobber onto his face, and then randomly trying to promote a huge arena show in the UK with a card of random ex WWE guys and Alistair Overeem which sold like 300 tickets and never ended up happening.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Nevermind watchd the match and they got carried, but the NXT peak was so drat good. It lasted up until around the pandemic

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
That is too bad they suck. I was just curious. I enjoy Ellerings work with the LoD.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Majinfoose posted:

People will tell you that Triple H was the best worker in the world in 2000-2001 before the quad tear and to those people, I simply say

no

I can sorta of see it just cause Japan downturn started and Kobashi was injured. Mexico was building to a new hot period but Mistico probably wasn't at his full potential either. So yeah just cause everywhere else was on a downturn or having new talent building I can see a case for HHH being among the best of the world

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Mr Hootington posted:

Youtube recommended me a clip from a recent Smackdown and I saw Paul Ellering is out of retirement. How long has he been back and is he managing a new LoD?

He's managing the new faction of Authors of Pain plus Karrion Kross. AoP are definitely the kind of guys who could be the new Legion of Doom if WWE cared about tag team wrestling, but faction overall doesn't feel like it has legs entirely because Kross is just nothing. The promo where they first teased AoP joining up with him should be everything I'm into, but it just... isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_GS292Yhx0

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
They’re called TESTAMENT or some nonsense

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Yeah, I know people were just talking about how the Authors of Pain were carried in NXT, but eh. They were green and stuck between NXT being a developmental brand and being a super-indie, that's when they should be carried and taught things. But WWE doesn't care about tag teams and never has, so they aren't in a position to grow beyond being a kinda-green big men tag team.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I've been reading Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling and it's actively making me like Bret a lot less. He just constantly comes across as a whiny hypocrite who will cheat on his girlfiend

The lore of the girlfiend!

I just missed being in that book - I started working for one of the people involved in Bret's concussion suit a couple months after they saw him. He did not have nice things to say about my employer, and rightly so because that guy was a dick.

I remember finding the book interesting and worth reading but it's been awhile.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 14, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AoP were cool in NXT even if they were green. They still got carried to some cool matches and have a good look and potential.

Then they got called up and used all wrong and looked terrible.

Putting them back with Ellering is a step in the right direction. I know Kross is meh but they work as his heavies while Ellering looks badass and points at people he wants them to attack.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Kross and Bennett are great examples of dudes that only got work because of their wives and then their wives never had a significant career either. Maybe you can add Miro to this list to because he had all the momentum in the world and fumbled it too

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Weird that Mike Bennett is catching strays here when he's been part of main event angles in AEW for the last few months

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tampa Bae posted:

AoP's best work is from NXT, they were pretty fun to watch and Ellering was a great manager for them

I think the best match they had was DIY (Gargano & Ciampa) vs The Revival (FTR) vs Authors of Pain. You should definitely check that out, the months of lead-up to the match was really good though.

I will add that they have a fantastic look and Ellering fit them really well, they were a ton of fun at that point in NXT... eight years ago. After that match they were called up, Ellering got replaced by a man who worked-peed himself on camera, they didn't get booked for no apparent reason, I think one of them got hurt doing ??? and the other got quietly released and if people remember them, it's for that one good match and also that manager who peed himself.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Lamuella posted:

Weird that Mike Bennett is catching strays here when he's been part of main event angles in AEW for the last few months
As Adam Cole's little buddy's little buddies.

At least Taven can claim his peak was the top of ROH when people had already stopped watching, but at least he was a top

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Bring back the puppet. It’s what these dorks deserve.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Tampa Bae posted:

As Adam Cole's little buddy's little buddies.

At least Taven can claim his peak was the top of ROH when people had already stopped watching, but at least he was a top

Sorry you're not enjoying the angle, I guess.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Grendels Dad posted:

I will add that they have a fantastic look and Ellering fit them really well, they were a ton of fun at that point in NXT... eight years ago. After that match they were called up, Ellering got replaced by a man who worked-peed himself on camera, they didn't get booked for no apparent reason, I think one of them got hurt doing ??? and the other got quietly released and if people remember them, it's for that one good match and also that manager who peed himself.
More or less it was the era where Triple H was booking really good NXT and Vince was still head of creative and a lot of people in Vince's orbit held that against HHH, so nearly everyone who came up from NXT got buried.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Pillowpants posted:

Best champion of all time - has stupid looking Superman punch as his special.

Please don't insult Orange Cassidy like that

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Hhh spent most of 2000 fighting foley, big show and rock - which the audience loved but when you’ve got Jericho, Benoit, the radicals, angle and the TLC matched constantly blowing everyone away I’m not sure it’s even comparable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I can sorta of see it just cause Japan downturn started and Kobashi was injured. Mexico was building to a new hot period but Mistico probably wasn't at his full potential either. So yeah just cause everywhere else was on a downturn or having new talent building I can see a case for HHH being among the best of the world

Nah. HHH was completely carried by guys like Foley. Meanwhile you had Akiyama & injured Kobashi as pillars of early NOAH, & both were great in AJPW before the split too, Kobashi Vs Omori in 2000 Carnival final is tragically overlooked. Tenryu began his amazing late career renaissance, Aja Kong over in GAEA, Tajiri in WCW was a huge bright spot in a dying promotion. Even in WWF you had Jericho,Foley, Benoit all clearly better than him. And then in 2001 Tenryu still rules, there's also this skinny little dork called American Dragon who is starting to impress the hell out of internet fans who watch more than WWE. Low-Ki too.

HHH was honestly really quite divisive back then, even among WWF/E exclusive viewers

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

was HHH even better than like, Mannukea Mossman in 2000

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

2000 must have sucked rear end if this the best wrestlers notable matches

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=...otes=&maxVotes=

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm sure if you went back and watched Cena's US title run you wouldn't be impressed at all, like most of the matches was Cena getting beat down until his 5 moves of doom comeback

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

2000 must have sucked rear end if this the best wrestlers notable matches

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=...otes=&maxVotes=

It definitely wasn't a great year. The Cactus HIAC match was memorable. I dunno if it was good but I really remember it anyway

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Triple H did have some fun tv matches with guys like Rikishi, Jericho and Taka. His ppv matches in 2000-2001 against Rock, Austin and Foley were all good too. His WM17 match against Undertaker was pretty good too, especially when you consider that nobody was having good matches with Taker at that time. He obviously wasn’t the best in the world but it probably was his peak run.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/deussaviow/status/1746342175988940927?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

that's austin theory

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

It definitely wasn't a great year. The Cactus HIAC match was memorable. I dunno if it was good but I really remember it anyway

maybe its time for a new poll thread...

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
has cm punk even been on the shows for like the past month

e oh was he trained bad and lovely by Bryan Danielson too?

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
them still doing "as first reported by" poo poo is so lame and funny

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

a.lo posted:

that's austin theory

Lol

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

He's managing the new faction of Authors of Pain plus Karrion Kross. AoP are definitely the kind of guys who could be the new Legion of Doom if WWE cared about tag team wrestling, but faction overall doesn't feel like it has legs entirely because Kross is just nothing. The promo where they first teased AoP joining up with him should be everything I'm into, but it just... isn't.

I've said it before, but Karrion Kross just radiates "henchman in a stable" energy. He shouldn't be standing at the front cutting promos and leading stables, he should be standing behind the stable leader, flexing, pulling intense faces and nodding in agreement with what they're saying.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

a.lo posted:

that's austin theory

not enough teeth.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Nah. HHH was completely carried by guys like Foley. Meanwhile you had Akiyama & injured Kobashi as pillars of early NOAH, & both were great in AJPW before the split too, Kobashi Vs Omori in 2000 Carnival final is tragically overlooked. Tenryu began his amazing late career renaissance, Aja Kong over in GAEA, Tajiri in WCW was a huge bright spot in a dying promotion. Even in WWF you had Jericho,Foley, Benoit all clearly better than him. And then in 2001 Tenryu still rules, there's also this skinny little dork called American Dragon who is starting to impress the hell out of internet fans who watch more than WWE. Low-Ki too.

HHH was honestly really quite divisive back then, even among WWF/E exclusive viewers

Don't forget Kawada carrying the torch for AJPW with Fuchi against Iizuka and Nagata! God, Kawada was still so good.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 14, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I can't really tell you whether it gets "better" because I think it's an absolutely fascinating book written by an extremely interesting person who was writing from a place of pain, betrayal and righteous anger, while also being an extremely flawed person in his own right. If you don't like it now, you won't like it the rest of the way, but I think it's an intriguing look into so many parts of the wrestling world that were at the time rarely if ever explored at this depth.

That's definitely all valid, and maybe "entertaining" wasn't the right word for what I was looking for. I guess ultimately my problem with the book is that drat near everyone in it comes across as deeply unlikeable and as a result it's a kind of unpleasant read overall. But then I suppose it would be, for the reasons you outlined.

I decided to stick with it for now and got to the point where he's been hired to the WWF and one thing I liked was the revelation that Vince was paying his wrestlers $50 an appearance, because he figured the exposure they were getting was worth a lot of money. Exposure to do what, Vince? When Sergeant Slaughter got a GI Joe action figure made of himself, you fired him.

Lamuella posted:

Yeah but he still sucks though. Both him and MATT TAVEN are so bland they make hospital grade vanilla pudding seem spicy and exciting.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 14, 2024

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I enjoyed Bret’s book a lot but just remember that in his 25 year wrestling career Bret was never to blame in any of the situations where things went bad and he always got screwed over by everyone for no good reason and everyone was jealous of him

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah but he still sucks though. Both him and MATT TAVEN are so bland they make hospital grade vanilla pudding seem spicy and exciting.

Mike Bennett is a totally passable midcard hand. He is a bit of bland but he can still have a totally alright match. Honestly a pretty good tag wrestler. If he's in your World Title scene then that's a bad sign, but he's an acceptable goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Neither Bennett nor Taven are leading their new faction, so what's the issue? They're a decent tag team, and it makes sense to link them up with Adam Cole, since they have a shared history.