Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

exmarx posted:

elizabeth kerekere sends her regards...

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

High profile lawyer caught up in shoplifting stoush

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Like, we need to have a green party, both for someone representing the tree-huggers and having a good mix of parties to keep multiple-party representation healthy.

But like, goddamn. Politicians are career crooks and leeches by trade for sure, but at least most of them can keep a straight face to the public. But does green party scrape these schmucks off of a barrel somewhere, the gently caress is going on over there?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Lawyers often become politicians, yes

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

it's too hot

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I don't think the green party has a preponderance of criminals amoung the parties

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Serephina posted:

Like, we need to have a green party, both for someone representing the tree-huggers and having a good mix of parties to keep multiple-party representation healthy.

But like, goddamn. Politicians are career crooks and leeches by trade for sure, but at least most of them can keep a straight face to the public. But does green party scrape these schmucks off of a barrel somewhere, the gently caress is going on over there?

members of other parties have access to commit more sophisticated and less entertaining crimes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CODChimera posted:

it's too hot

*clears throat, straightens shirt* your mum is too hot

redleader posted:

members of other parties have access to commit more sophisticated and less entertaining crimes

There's an irony in a theoretical leftist being in a shop like that at all, if the theft thing is true it'll be some weird pathology

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

i know this isn't anything new but everytime i open up aliexpress and see this being a recommended search is just...

well i mean the other day i finally saw it irl

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/tonywalljourno/status/1745979279765389661?s=20
Honestly wouldn't blame her if she leaves this country never to return.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Confusedslight posted:

https://twitter.com/tonywalljourno/status/1745979279765389661?s=20
Honestly wouldn't blame her if she leaves this country never to return.

Account gone?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Oh random. It was just someone talking about anti vaxers protesting outside of Jacinda Aderns wedding.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Simeon Brown posted:

"After six years and over $228 million spent on the project, not a single metre of track has been delivered and congestion has only worsened in the city."

I can't believe how much these projects cost either, but I can't help but think actually completing them might be key to reducing congestion?? (Auckland Light Rail officially canned)

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

The tunneled light rail option that Labour was pushing was so poorly suited that I cannot help but think it was done to sink light rail completely and on purpose. If they'd just gone with what every other city (including auckland in the early 20th century) had we'd probably have enough light rail by now that national would have no chance of canning it. loving wasted money and now no chance of anything this decade.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Trompe le Monde posted:

The tunneled light rail option that Labour was pushing was so poorly suited that I cannot help but think it was done to sink light rail completely and on purpose. If they'd just gone with what every other city (including auckland in the early 20th century) had we'd probably have enough light rail by now that national would have no chance of canning it. loving wasted money and now no chance of anything this decade.

labour hate public transport just as much as national. they're just forced to pretend otherwise

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Trompe le Monde posted:

You're totally right, I think I remember some article on Greater Auckland about how/why they ended up with the absolute most expensive option. Ffs just put a tramline down Dominion Rd and along the motorway, how hard can it be? Absolutely no forward thinking in this country.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trompe le Monde posted:

Yep

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I feel like it's highly likely that MoT execs hate public transit projects and pushed the worst option so it could be canned in a few years after handing millions to the consultants they're friends with

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Surface light rail was the best option but it would've involved shutting Dominion Road for like 4 years and the screams from the business community and rich cunts in Mt Eden would've been audible in Wellington. That doesn't mean it wasn't worth doing, just that tunneled rail was a cowardly decision typical of the last Labour government.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Among tonight's top stories:

Idiot that can't follow basic instructions gets his boat back.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Golriz goneburgers

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/506825/golriz-ghahraman-resigns-from-parliament-after-shoplifting-allegations

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's a shame.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Does that mean someone else comes in on the green list?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, Celia Wade-Brown I think.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah, Celia Wade-Brown I think.

Yup, i.e. the most garbage outcome. She should stand aside for Laurence or Francisco

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/coughlthom/status/1747035257789100208?s=20

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

voiceless anal fricative posted:

Yup, i.e. the most garbage outcome. She should stand aside for Laurence or Francisco

100% agree

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
What are peoples opinions of Celia Wade-Brown because I have no clue if she's going to be any good or not and don't really know too much if anything about her.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i was hoping she'd come out and go sorry i'm a kleptomaniac so we can finally get some klept representation in 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Booty Pageant posted:

i was hoping she'd come out and go sorry i'm a kleptomaniac so we can finally get some klept representation in 2024

kleptosexual, pronouns mine/mine

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Can I see the stolen clothes, wanna know if it was worth it

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Should have got pinged for putting limes through as lemons at the self scan checkouts and she'd be a national hero

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Looks like RUC on EVs is coming in a couple months. Same RUC as diesel, apparently.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It actually seems to be double the per-km cost of the tax on fuel lol. Just a big gently caress you to EV and PHEV drivers. Some proper culture war dumbshittery so people with efficient vehicles can subsidise trucking companies.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

I thought 70$/1000 was about the cost paid at the petrol pump for a normal vehicle. But hitting the hybrids with the same is definitely culture war poo poo

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

It was always coming evs have just been exempt since 09

Hybrids will pay like $53ish per unit

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

bssoil posted:

I thought 70$/1000 was about the cost paid at the petrol pump for a normal vehicle. But hitting the hybrids with the same is definitely culture war poo poo

Depends a lot on the efficiency of the vehicle. This RNZ article gives some numbers: a car that does 44L/1000km (pretty standard) would pay $39 in tax for that distance, vs an EV which would pay about $80 in RUC for that distance assuming it's in the <3.5ton class.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Ouch I didn't read that, but that's a bunch of bullshit. Shocking from this government.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

voiceless anal fricative posted:

Depends a lot on the efficiency of the vehicle. This RNZ article gives some numbers: a car that does 44L/1000km (pretty standard) would pay $39 in tax for that distance, vs an EV which would pay about $80 in RUC for that distance assuming it's in the <3.5ton class.

https://australasiantransportresearchforum.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/ATRF2015_Resubmission_9.pdf

quote:

The fleet travel weighted average FE is 9.2 L/100km for the analysed light petrol vehicles and 10.1 L/100km for the light diesel vehicles.

2015 report puts the fleet average at more than twice the figure used as an example in the RNZ story, which in fairness is trying to provide a more apples to apples specific vehicle comparison. And something it misses, given RUC's are about cost to service, and weight comes into it, the EV Niro is 423kg or 28% heavier than the hybrid model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I mean, the reality is that RUC for EVs has been on the horizon since well before the election, so there should be a well thought out and fair approach for the national government to draw from (if they want to)