Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kri kri posted:

Trying to decide on the rav4 prime or something else. I don’t know poo poo about cars, what are the comps at this size? We rented a rav4 ice in Phoenix last month and loved it.

Trying to decide on PHEV or BEV. The most we will go at one time is probably 275 miles. Daily commute is 30 miles.

look at gently used Bolt EVs & Bolt EUVs. There’s a ‘22 /LT EV in my area with 6k on the odometer at like 21k. Subtract a $4k tax credit and you’re at $17k for an absolute steal of a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kri kri posted:

Trying to decide on the rav4 prime or something else. I don’t know poo poo about cars, what are the comps at this size? We rented a rav4 ice in Phoenix last month and loved it.

Trying to decide on PHEV or BEV. The most we will go at one time is probably 275 miles. Daily commute is 30 miles.

Bronco Raptor

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

look at gently used Bolt EVs & Bolt EUVs. There’s a ‘22 /LT EV in my area with 6k on the odometer at like 21k. Subtract a $4k tax credit and you’re at $17k for an absolute steal of a car.

Yeah was thinking about this too. Used cars get rebates? Had no idea. My current car is a 2009 civic so I’m out the game.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Here in BC, the local LEAF facebook have a bunch of people getting turtle mode on full batteries now that we have -10, mostly when going on the highway.
I have had the same sort of thing, i think the front cells freeze from the windchill, then you hit low voltage when you try to load them up.

Basically Leafs are only one step up from horses, saw a snowflake and died.
However, 99% of the time, they are fine here in Victoria, so Im still gonna recommend them

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Honestly in BC if it hits this temperature if possible just do what everyone else does and hunker down at home. If you are an essential worker probably don’t get a Leaf or have an alternative!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

priznat posted:

Honestly ... don’t get a Leaf

This seems to be the running theme

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I just looked at the website for the latest model Leaf. They're trying to claim that there are an "impressive number" of CHAdeMO chargers in the US, and they're advertising a DC fast charge time of 40-60 minutes (which on a Leaf battery translates to about 50kW) as if it were respectable by 2024 standards.

Yeah... no.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

kri kri posted:

Yeah was thinking about this too. Used cars get rebates? Had no idea. My current car is a 2009 civic so I’m out the game.

There's a lot of caveats for the used credit.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MrLogan posted:

There's a lot of caveats for the used credit.

They’re not exactly arduous though : https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/used-clean-vehicle-credit

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The hardest part can be getting the dealership to go along with the documentation for it because they've had drilled in them to respond, "That's between you and your tax professional." on anything to do with EV credits.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dealers are supposed to be able to do the rebate directly from the purchase price in 2024...whether or not they know how to do it is another question entirely. we're going to look at a 23 bolt tomorrow and i'd like to get it if they can figure this poo poo out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Frank Dillinger posted:

Range is definitely impacted but my commute is short (20k round trip at worst) and I’m using it as inefficiently as possible, preconditioning it to be hot inside, accelerating like a lunatic, etc. today will be my highest consumption day at 30kwh.

I don’t fast charge so I can’t elaborate on that but it should be OK so long as the pack is preconditioned appropriately.
Thank you

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

dealers are supposed to be able to do the rebate directly from the purchase price in 2024...whether or not they know how to do it is another question entirely. we're going to look at a 23 bolt tomorrow and i'd like to get it if they can figure this poo poo out.

When I bought mine on the 6th the dealership said the IRS system that they use for the rebate "wasn't working" whatever that specifically means. But they did understand all the IRS forms they needed to fill out to give me so I could claim the credit myself, which I was fine with anyways.

fake edit: 2023 bolt won't qualify, has to be 2 years old.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
a brand new bolt still qualifies

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

a brand new bolt still qualifies

For the new car credit ; the used car credit needs to be two years old.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Brand new cars do typically not count as used after all

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

fake edit: 2023 bolt won't qualify, has to be 2 years old.

And the vast majority of retired Hertz Teslas are 2022, so they wouldn't qualify just yet.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

It's by model year not production date so all 2022 models count for used now.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why would you ever take the dealer's word for anything? If you need an actual correct answer, do ask your tax professional.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Agreed. Never, ever listen to anything a dealer tells you

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’ve been eyeballing them pretty hard since the depreciation on these is pretty extreme. The 2023 M60 with 5000 miles I mentioned a bit ago is still on the lot and going for about $78k.

I have to convince myself that there won’t be some extreme maintenance issue that will burn me in a couple years.

My service advisor says that the iX goes through brakes and tires with high frequency (I assumed that would be the case due to size / weight of the vehicle). There doesn't seem like there's much to break on the inside, but only time will tell.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

kimcicle posted:

My service advisor says that the iX goes through brakes and tires with high frequency (I assumed that would be the case due to size / weight of the vehicle). There doesn't seem like there's much to break on the inside, but only time will tell.

Brakes even with regen going? I was thinking a lot of EVs would go pretty light on brakes. I guess if you are doing hard stopping it is a lot of weight to stop.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

priznat posted:

Brakes even with regen going? I was thinking a lot of EVs would go pretty light on brakes. I guess if you are doing hard stopping it is a lot of weight to stop.

Full regen isn't the default mode. You have to double pull the shifter into B mode to get full brake regen. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the iX owners aren't doing this and are burning up their pads more than necessary to stop their 5700lb vehicle.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
There's a new round of voting for new supercharger locations https://www.tesla.com/supercharger-voting

Once again there's not many options that are super relevant to me, so give me your suggestions and I'll vote for them.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

kill me now posted:

Full regen isn't the default mode. You have to double pull the shifter into B mode to get full brake regen. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the iX owners aren't doing this and are burning up their pads more than necessary to stop their 5700lb vehicle.

When I rented myself a Tesla last fall, it was locked into "hold" (max regen) mode. I wonder if that was Hertz wanting to keep the brakes from wearing out?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Couldn't charge this morning, the car wouldn't latch onto the connector.

After a brief moment of panic about having to take it in to the service center, I realized the plug was packed with ice. This prevented it from going in all the way.

Pouring about 3ml of boiling water into it, three times, cleared it right up.

I have no idea how ice got in there in the first place. It's either plugged into the Tesla, plugged into the TeslaTap, or plugged into the holder under the bike shed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cruft posted:

I have no idea how ice got in there in the first place. It's either plugged into the Tesla, plugged into the TeslaTap, or plugged into the holder under the bike shed.

Air moisture condensation that got frozen up?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Rat piss

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ready to buy a bolt but the dealer doesnt have the direct payment set up for the federal rebate smh

might just buy one out of state and have it shipped here, there's deals to be found in other states that make up for the shipping cost.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got my Emporia all setup and even though my Bolt was fully charged via the 120V charger, I decided to plug it in and see what would happen. And to my surprise, the Emporia reports it providing the max I set it to, around 4700 Watts. I would have expected it to be basically zero, since the battery was charged to what the Bolt was set as the target charge, and the charge indicator was solid green, meaning it was fully charged.

It is about 20 degrees fahrenheit in the garage where my car was, and in theory if I wanted to go for a drive it might want to warm up the battery, but I wasn't planning on driving anywhere so I just unplugged it and had dinner.

Any idea why it was pulling all that power?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I don't exactly drive a lot but according to my charger, I've spent $18/month throughout 2023. This doesn't include a small amount of DCFC but they were EA stations and more often than not gave me a free fill-up.

Based on odometer vs kWh, the Bolt was getting over 5 mi/kWh-paid in practical usage. This figure includes occasional free public L2 usage. Car reports 4.0 mi/kWh measured efficiency meanwhile.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 14, 2024

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cockmaster posted:

When I rented myself a Tesla last fall, it was locked into "hold" (max regen) mode. I wonder if that was Hertz wanting to keep the brakes from wearing out?

Every one I rented has been something different and asking for the PIN sometimes works but usually gets a guy yelling at you. Sometimes it's the facility address or 1111 but rarely. In other words, Hanlon's Razor

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 14, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

FISHMANPET posted:

I got my Emporia all setup and even though my Bolt was fully charged via the 120V charger, I decided to plug it in and see what would happen. And to my surprise, the Emporia reports it providing the max I set it to, around 4700 Watts. I would have expected it to be basically zero, since the battery was charged to what the Bolt was set as the target charge, and the charge indicator was solid green, meaning it was fully charged.

It is about 20 degrees fahrenheit in the garage where my car was, and in theory if I wanted to go for a drive it might want to warm up the battery, but I wasn't planning on driving anywhere so I just unplugged it and had dinner.

The battery was cold so the vehicle started warming it up, it would have stopped almost immediately after reaching temperature. Something to know about batteries is the state of charge "SoC" is simply the battery voltage converted to percentage and voltage drops when a battery is cold. So cold batteries can make a vehicle think it needs to be recharged, as soon as it reaches temperature it would read full voltage again and it would stop charging. Don't worry about it, you simply triggered the conditioning/charge cycle because most vehicles do that even if you unplug it and then immediately plug it back in again. In warmer months stuff like that happening is a lot less likely, but not totally impossible, and it won't hurt anything.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cruft posted:

Couldn't charge this morning, the car wouldn't latch onto the connector.

After a brief moment of panic about having to take it in to the service center, I realized the plug was packed with ice. This prevented it from going in all the way.

Pouring about 3ml of boiling water into it, three times, cleared it right up.

Ok I must know, how did you measure “about 3ml”?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
thinkin about euvs

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Been waiting for the charging to finish to see what happens at 80% (vehicle's target charge), and my EVSE now indicates:

0 kW, charger on standby, vehicle not requesting energy.

It's cozy in a garage right now.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
speaking of tesla taps, I got one to charge my e-golf at the tesla destination charger in my building as the teslas in building keep camping the regular chargers even though they are same speed as the tesla one.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mary Barra, where is my lyriq?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Psycho Society posted:

thinkin about euvs

whats euvs with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Chronojam posted:

Been waiting for the charging to finish to see what happens at 80% (vehicle's target charge), and my EVSE now indicates:

0 kW, charger on standby, vehicle not requesting energy.

It's cozy in a garage right now.

With target charge set, I could see it either pulling just a scoche of power from the EVSE as part of the "handshake" so the car can verify voltage and capacity, or it discharged like, say, 200W from parasitic drain between being charged on the L1, and was making that up, charge rate doesn't taper to target charge like it does to 100%, it cuts off instantaneously when target charge level is reached.

I don't have any actual insight into the matter, but I don't think the Bolt gives a gently caress about keeping its battery warm, at least not like other EVs.

Also, the Bolt has some weird behavior with L2 chargers, when done charging, every EV I've seen, tells the ClipperCreeks at work to open the contactor, evidenced by the green charging LED extinguishing (I know for sure Leaves and Tesli do, the Leaf will ask it to shut again when preconditioning), the Bolt leaves the contactor shut the whole time. It's it to charge the 12v? Keep the battery warm? I have no idea.

The Bolt is also weird in that if you lose a hot leg to the charger it will try to connect to the EVSE until the 12V is completely stone loving dead, which is just a weird programming oversight.