Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I look forward to the 2024 thread and how silly it will get then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

going to brush up on my creative writing skills all year so i get quoted more in the next thread

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

teo4512 posted:

1. ASTLIBRA Revision: Astlibra is a complete anomaly compared to what I'm used to. The original Astlibra was, from what I understand, a freeware game developped over 15-ish years by a japanese dev during his free time using pre-made assets and royalty-free music. He later got his game noticed by one of Vanillaware's artists who helped him touch up some of the sprites alongside a few other contributors for Revision, an updated version of the original that also contains some extra content, some reworked systems and translation in multiple languages including English on top of these visual overhauls.

The result is a sidescrolling action RPG that has an incredibly mismatched artstyle that I personally find charming in many ways and while the soundtrack cannot really be labeled "original" to say the least, the music selection on display is shock full of bangers and almost always fits with whatever is going on on the screen. This whole thing kinds of reminds me of turn-based RPG Crystal Project which also uses mostly pre-made stuff(and you should go play it if you like turn-based RPGs and haven't already) and screams "passion project" which I'm all here for.

You weren't kidding when you said there was a mismatching art style :dafuq:. The weird art assets combined with the absurd situation that is nested within another absurd situation had me laughing in tears. So you meet a talking bipedal pig who owns a "shop" that is suspended by balloons that floats around and appears at set points to give you classic JRPG vendor services. He warns you he can only go where the wind takes him! Never mind that the house is tiny and you zone into it but right after you kill the final boss in an underground dungeon.....with no roof....and this guy just materializes out of nowhere.....

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
You used to be able to just bribe Rarity to get quoted but Veeg is a Pillar of Integrity so it was a bit weird this year to only be quoted once :colbert:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Crazy how close the lower end of the top 10 was, if I hadn't gotten really sick around New Year's Eve than Lies of P would have been at #8 instead of #10. Though impressive that it scored that high at all, breakout hit of the year. Really a surprise for a game from an unknown (for single player games) developer, it seemed like everyone wrote it off as a joke until it actually came out.

Also crazy that Octopath beat a Final Fantasy, that would have been inconceivable back in the PS1-PS2 era.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It would have been, because Octopath didn't exist

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

It would have been, because Octopath didn't exist

Yeah obviously but I mean more in the sense of a lower budget "retro throwback" type game from Square beating their flagship series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There weren't retro throwback games in the PS1-2 era because that was still in retro times

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

PS3 is retro now

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I'm really glad I finally took the time to participate this year, it made reading the results a lot more fun!

My biggest takeaway is that more people need to play Alan Wake 2 so it can place even higher next year. I'm happy I was able to help make it into the top ten, at least!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

PS3 is retro now

PS3 is forever

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Alan Wake 2 is permanently relegated to the Epic Games Store on PC at least, so I don't expect that it will ever reach the kind of wide audience it deserves.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just to give everyone some perspective on this quote discussion, that is absolutely the part of this operation that is the most work. Last year I spent the entirety of Jan 1st to Jan 3rd just reading though everyone's lists to pull out appropriate quotes before even starting the actual writing bits. Which don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed doing it but it's a huge time investment. I fully understand VG focusing on quality over quantity here.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

The list always slaps, and this year, I'm immortalized for my folly of purchasing a PS5 just to play Final Fantasy games. I deserve that and will mention it again next time, when I rank FFVII Rebirth in the top 3 of 2024!

Looking forward to re-reviewing the list and wishlisting things. Whattayear.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

my quotes are hyperbolic and melodramatic and should not be employed unless under extreme duress

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Ms Adequate posted:

I mean I should be getting quoted all the time because my takes are the most insightful, accurate, and funny, but I get it.

:3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

my quotes are hyperbolic and melodramatic and should not be employed unless under extreme duress

wait oh fu-

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

;-*

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

broken pixel posted:

The list always slaps, and this year, I'm immortalized for my folly of purchasing a PS5 just to play Final Fantasy games. I deserve that and will mention it again next time, when I rank FFVII Rebirth in the top 3 of 2024!

Looking forward to re-reviewing the list and wishlisting things. Whattayear.

Every Nintendo device I've ever owned has been solely to play Pokemon. I get you.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

PS3 is retro now

PS3 can't be retro because retro gaming is good, and the PS3/360 generation was bad.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

TriffTshngo posted:

PS3 can't be retro because retro gaming is good, and the PS3/360 generation was bad.

was bad. Its good now. Cuz it's retro

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I thought it would have been cool if one of the many mp4s I used for my AC6 review was posted instead of a quote but I'm glad that the quote that was chosen was a good one so I guess I can't really complain.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rarity posted:

Just to give everyone some perspective on this quote discussion, that is absolutely the part of this operation that is the most work. Last year I spent the entirety of Jan 1st to Jan 3rd just reading though everyone's lists to pull out appropriate quotes before even starting the actual writing bits. Which don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed doing it but it's a huge time investment. I fully understand VG focusing on quality over quantity here.

I'm more amazed that people are jealous of not being quoted, rather than finding it mildly embarrassing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
For 2024 there should be negative badges such as biggest fall or highest placement with lowest average. Also highest riser so we can get Bloodborne top ten again.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

TriffTshngo posted:

The 360 can't be bad, because HE AIN'T MY BOY BUT THE BROTHER IS HEAVY, GAVE AWAY MY POSSESSIONS AND MOVED INTO A CHEVY

fridge corn posted:

You used to be able to just bribe Rarity to get quoted but Veeg is a Pillar of Integrity so it was a bit weird this year to only be quoted once :colbert:

Oh sick a new Obsidian game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fridge corn posted:

was bad. Its good now. Cuz it's retro

Also because you can play a lot of those games remastered in 1080p or 4K and 60fps now

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I didn't post my GOTY list explicitly so I couldn't be quoted. Suck it, dorks, I played you like a god damned fiddle.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Flint_Paper posted:

I didn't post my GOTY list explicitly so I couldn't be quoted. Suck it, dorks, I played you like a god damned fiddle.

what if I quote you right now!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

God DAMMIT

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flint_Paper posted:

HopperUK posted:

what if I quote you right now!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Vikar Jerome posted:

PS3 is forever

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TriffTshngo posted:

bad to skip... because it was good.

some weird rear end game takes itt

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Flint_Paper posted:

Get rekt streamer!!!

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Missed the countdown due to snow but thanks for all the work VG!

Looking forward to 2024's games!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Years of planning.... foiled!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'd like to say thank you to everyone who puts work into making this thread. I think it's the best thread of the year and I always look forward to it. As someone who actually likes movies more than games, I really wish there was something even half as cool for movies.

Great work, and here's to many good threads in years to come. Hopefully American democracy doesn't collapse so hard that it collapses comedy forum video game democracy too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wittgen posted:

Hopefully American democracy doesn't collapse so hard that it collapses comedy forum video game democracy too.

VG, count the PM votes!

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

VideoGames posted:

There were 756 unique games submitted, an extra 70 more than last year.
And a whopping 261 goons submitted lists counted, up from the 217 of 2022.

Really cool work this year, that’s a lot of lists!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wittgen posted:

I really wish there was something even half as cool for movies.

Shooga made the very 1st movie version SA MOTY last month and plans to do it again next year! Join us, just as with the once humble SA GOTY... every year the beast will grow!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049769&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Shooga made the very 1st movie version SA MOTY last month and plans to do it again next year! Join us, just as with the once humble SA GOTY... every year the beast will grow!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049769&pagenumber=1

I only watched 4 movies this year, but I'll try to watch 1 more this year so I can post list