Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CommonShore posted:

anyone have a good playlist of v60 pourover recipes? I have a particular recipe I've been using for a while that my local shop uses, but then someone gave me a chemex over the holidays and I went and watched a few chemex recipes and then went and tried out 4 or 5 more recipes since then.

The thing is... I've not found anyone who does one like my local guy's. I asked him about it, but his English is almost nonexistent, and all I know is that it's basically his original recipe based on stuff he learned in Shanghai. His thing is that he loves fine grind and fast extraction and the flavours from the early part of the extraction, so he'll do two bloom pours at 15 seconds each then pour to 75%, then very cautiously pour the last 25% in the middle once some of the water has filtered through, with minimal agitation. An ideal pour for him is a perfectly conical coffee bed up the sides of the filter rather than the flat bed that Hoffman seems to prize. The theory, from what I've gotten out of him, is he does that to reduce the proportion of bitter late extraction flavours as the water level drops below parts of the coffee bed. He also kills the pour at 2:00 exactly, discarding the rest. A typical proportion for him is 15g/325g, but discarding 50-75g at the end, leaving him much closer to the 15g/250ml that most other recipes call for.

It makes a good cup, but nothing I've found so far works with any similar assumptions. Has anyone seen a v60 recipe that resembles this?

(if you want to try it, when I make it at home, I grind about 20% finer than I would for a typical v60 - 15g coffee: pour at 0 bloom pour to 30g, at 15 bloom pour to 60g, at 30 pour and agitate to 275, at 60 pour gently in the centre to 325, pull it off at 120, and usually top off with a splash of water from the kettle.)

I've posted this recipe a few times in the thread, but it's easily the best tasting recipe I've ever used. The video uses a Kalita Wave, but it works just as well with a V60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsGf3R9mc0

Pay particular attention to the section on pour height. That makes a huge difference in adequately churning the coffee bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gunder posted:

I've posted this recipe a few times in the thread, but it's easily the best tasting recipe I've ever used. The video uses a Kalita Wave, but it works just as well with a V60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsGf3R9mc0

Pay particular attention to the section on pour height. That makes a huge difference in adequately churning the coffee bed.

This is a good, straightforward method. It's basically the same broader approach as Hoffman's updated "small pour" v60 method, but with two pours instead of four, and pretty similar to what I've been doing lately since I started researching different approaches.

Could be in the OP.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

well, gen2 ode seems like its motor is dying. lets see what customer support says

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm beginning my adventure in a multi day grinder head to head battle between the Baratza encore esp and the fellow opus a kind goon sent my way.

The winner will live on in glory, the loser will be donated to one of my piss coffee drinking friends along with an AeroPress and a scale.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I knocked my aeropress over this morning while topping up to 200g in an inverted brew. It splashed scalding coffee and grounds onto everything around, notably my sweatpants and feet. I'm pretty sure the scale is ruined, but I'll get a new one, whatever. I said a bunch of loud swears and my 5 year old got scared and ran off then came back with a stuffed animal for me and asked if she could get me a cold glass of water. Then I just made a Starbucks via because one was there and I was too mad to grind more of my good beans. I put my crocs on the back porch because they were a mess and a bird poo poo on one.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

An argument to get the Fellow Prismo if I ever saw one

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That’s why I’ll never do an inverted brew for Aeropress. The gains are so minimal for the non-trivial risk of making an absolute mess.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only inverted a few times and that was enough to see potential scalding hot disaster. Regular works just fine.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

The biggest advantage of the conical pourover has gotta be how easy it is to clean. You chuck the filter, you rinse it out. Easy. I've toyed with my aeropress and tricolate every now and then but I inevitably get frustrated by the mess and the tendency for me to pour scalding water on myself when using them

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I think everyone that has tried to do inverted has spilled it at least once.

Probably could make a stand for it to make it slightly less sketchy. Or just don't do it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I once accidentally filled the hollow of my aeropress' plunger with water, then spent thirty seconds trying to figure out why things weren't working how they should. Not my finest hour.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Another alternative to inverted is to stick the plunger in just a bit to create a vacuum that should hold the brew in. There'll be some drippage in the few seconds it takes to get the plunger in, but not enough to really affect anything in my experience

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

404notfound posted:

Another alternative to inverted is to stick the plunger in just a bit to create a vacuum that should hold the brew in. There'll be some drippage in the few seconds it takes to get the plunger in, but not enough to really affect anything in my experience

Wait is this not... the intended way to brew with an aeropress?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Yeah I think this is how you're "supposed" to do it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

yeah, inverted seems like too much risk for a very minimal reward. before I got mine, Hoffmann had already released his videos on it, and even just his mentioned risk of the plunger popping out when you flip, if it isn’t in deep enough, was enough for me to take a vow never to do inverted.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I ain't scared :unsmigghh:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’d consider it a coffee rites of passage to pour or spill boiling water on yourself from an aeropress

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I think doing inverted is what shortened the life of the rubber stopper on the plunger of my Aeropress. It's an easily replaceable part, but the rubber literally started dissolving after a pretty short while and the only thing I can figure was that it was the extended contact with hot coffee slurry.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

George H.W. oval office posted:

I’d consider it a coffee rites of passage to pour or spill boiling water on yourself from an aeropress

i'm doing my part

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

RichterIX posted:

I think doing inverted is what shortened the life of the rubber stopper on the plunger of my Aeropress. It's an easily replaceable part, but the rubber literally started dissolving after a pretty short while and the only thing I can figure was that it was the extended contact with hot coffee slurry.

Ok this is the only logic I'll listen to.

Here's the real reason I'm doing it inverted: I'm using a metal filter and my own roasted beans. The filter has just a little more porosity than paper, and because the beans are so fresh, it takes a while for the bloom to die down enough to get the full 200g of water in, during which time more has escaped into the cup than with paper or store beans. I guess over time the filter will clog up a little and this will happen less. Alternately, I could just pour till the bloom hits the top and cap it, and then top up to 200g in the cup kind of like an Americano.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 18, 2024

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Thumposaurus posted:

The Mayorga Cafe Cubano is supposed to be their version of Cafe Bustelo.
I like it OK but when we lived near the Mayorga headquarters in Rockville MD we'd run over there and pick up a bag of the muy macho blend whenever it ran out.

Oh cool I'm gonna try muy macho blend to see if I like it more or less. Thanks.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Key with inverted is to put the top on and gently press out the air. Extremely satisfying watching the filter suddenly darken as the liquid meets it. That way your plunger is further in and there's minimal chance of accidents.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

There's currently a big Reddit panic (yeah I know, sorry) about the new Gaggia Classic Pro EVOs. Allegedly the non-stick coating inside the boiler is flaking off and coming out it tiny chunks. Its most obvious when running the steam wand into an empty cup. Whole Latte Love and Gaggia themselves are looking in to it.

Not sure if anyone here has a new EVO, but its worth keeping an eye on if this turns out to be more than a Reddit circlejerk.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Ok this is the only logic I'll listen to.

Here's the real reason I'm doing it inverted: I'm using a metal filter and my own roasted beans. The filter has just a little more porosity than paper, and because the beans are so fresh, it takes a while for the bloom to die down enough to get the full 200g of water in, during which time more has escaped into the cup than with paper or store beans. I guess over time the filter will clog up a little and this will happen less. Alternately, I could just pour till the bloom hits the top and cap it, and then top up to 200g in the cup kind of like an Americano.

don't let the fact that us naysayers are wimps stop you from living your best coffee life

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Bandire posted:

There's currently a big Reddit panic (yeah I know, sorry) about the new Gaggia Classic Pro EVOs. Allegedly the non-stick coating inside the boiler is flaking off and coming out it tiny chunks. Its most obvious when running the steam wand into an empty cup. Whole Latte Love and Gaggia themselves are looking in to it.

Not sure if anyone here has a new EVO, but its worth keeping an eye on if this turns out to be more than a Reddit circlejerk.

nothing like a cup of fluorocarbons in the morning

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
good thing to learn two weeks after getting my evo pro lol

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I could've sworn the original instructions didn't have the part where you put the plunger in and wait, but I just checked the website and it's there :shrug: But I also wouldn't be surprised if it were a case of multiple discovery where everybody realized that it works better this way

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Inverted rules, you big messy babies.

The real crime here is having Crocs. The bird is the real hero.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Crocs are literally the best in this situation, other than muck boots. I hose them off and dry them and that's it.

Well crocs without the holes would have been best, but it still would have made it in the top no matter what I was wearing.

Crocs around the house make my plantar fasciitis all but disappear, there's no argument against them that I care about anymore.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 19, 2024

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Well crocs without the holes would have been best

Sounds like propaganda from Big Footsweat

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What’s the going rate for a bag of beans from y’alls roaster of choice? This afternoon the baristas at my local place were discussing the owner’s most recent price change that took their cheap blend bag from $16 to $18.50, or the old price for their better single origin bags.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

We pick up a monthly 2lb bag from Hyperion for $28, typically single origin but not always.

This month we got a natural processed Ethiopian that’s pretty good.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Democratic Pirate posted:

What’s the going rate for a bag of beans from y’alls roaster of choice? This afternoon the baristas at my local place were discussing the owner’s most recent price change that took their cheap blend bag from $16 to $18.50, or the old price for their better single origin bags.

https://drinkarchetype.com/collections/archetype-coffee/products/archetype-home-blend

18 for the blended but the single origins are all over but mostly 20-25

E: I mainly prefer it because it's close enough to walk to in the morning

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 19, 2024

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jesus pete

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Whatever beans I order from sweet marias + equipment deprecation and like 3 cents of electricity :v:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Paid $21 with a holiday gift card a few weeks ago, usually pay $19 for 2lb of Two Brothers from Costco, hail the Chicago suburbs.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

somewhere between $12 and $35, with daily drivers being $12, occasional but less common $18-$20 bags, and rare splurges on weird $35 poo poo

generally 12oz bags

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

$18.50 for a better single origin is quite cheap. It’s pretty rare to find something decent for under like $22.

But then again NYC. My cost factor may be broken.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 19, 2024

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Okay it’s pretty bad everywhere, thanks all. We found a $23 bag of 2lb grocery store beans that makes a good enough cup for most weekday mornings.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

$18.50 for a better single origin is quite cheap. It’s pretty rare to find something decent for under like $22.

But then again NYC. My cost factor may be broken.

$18.50 is the old price when we went there in the Before Times - now all their single origins are $22+ per 12oz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
17-23$ for single origin (12oz) is pretty good still in most places. $23 for 2# of decent blended beans is still about 4$ cheaper than what I can find, but we may have different opinions about what makes a decent daily driver. I haven’t found a good single origin for under $17 in about 4 years.