Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Infinitum posted:

I def need to get off my rear end and figure out a Games Played tracker that works for me for the 2024 GOTY thread.

Goggledocs'll probably do it

I use a spreadsheet and put in the % I've completed in a game so I don't lose track of what I'm playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

fridge corn posted:

The next AC game is in Edo period Japan which seems like a game they should have made 10 years ago or at least before Ghost of Tsushima came out but nevermind

I read AC as Armored Core at first and all I can say is: :haibrower:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Backloggd is a nice Letterboxd like for games

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I tried out the Prince of Persia demo. On one hand, discovering it was apparently more Metroidvania/Hollow Knight-like was a neat surprise and gameplay felt good, an in game screenshot of places you can't go without upgrades was a nice idea.. And it was interesting they were at least going for a more Persian look that the sorta-Arabian Nights of the more famous trilogy.

On the other hand both the UI and constant ads screamed Ubisoft so much it turned me off getting the game. Like jesus felt it was gonna pop a crafting menu and the constant ads to get the Deluxe edition with a map with secrets on a loving Metroidvanialike and the fact to boot up the game you have to try to connect to an UPlay account before it lets you skip it. gently caress off Ubisoft.

My main gripe with that game is that they're asking 50 goddamn American dollars for it. I mean, come on. No loving way. I played the demo, I think it'll be a solid game, but I ain't parting with that much scratch for a 2d metroidvania. Especially when I just got mirage and motorfest for around 25 each.

I'll probably get it once it falls below 20 or so.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah they'll go back to making good ones like Odyssey

odyssey was bloated, grindy crap with awful pacing (the tutorial area that took between 3 and 8 hours to complete, ridiculous) terrible combat, almost no fun stealth, and zero positive qualities overall.

The same team went on to make immortals: something rising which makes a lot of sense. That wasn't a terrible game but it had a lot of the same problems as odyssey

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I def need to get off my rear end and figure out a Games Played tracker that works for me for the 2024 GOTY thread.

Goggledocs'll probably do it

I’m keeping a log over in Post My Favorites to keep it all on the forums.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
2d metroidvanias are epic

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
B-b-but Metroid Dread was released at full Nintendo price!!!

It probably still is knowing them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

goatface posted:

B-b-but Metroid Dread was released at full Nintendo price!!!

It probably still is knowing them.

It is, I checked when someone said "I'm not paying AAA prices for a metroidvania" somewhere else

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Here's your reminder that PALWORLD is coming to game pass in less than a week.
According to the latest trailer on Steam it will have the following amazing features:
-Character Customization
-Multiplayer
-PAL Abilities
-Base Building & Crafting (at this point in the video they show the famous clip with the rows of leafeons running an assembly conveyor belt of assault rivals inside a volcano)
-PALs with weapons
-Faction Leaders

5er
Jun 1, 2000

While I am under the impression that almost nobody gives a poo poo about Ark: Ascended, I just propped up a 20-seat PvE Nitrado crossplay host. Details are in the Private Games sub, if you're interested.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
lost crown is getting quoted in reviews as 20-25 hours, or by the one hard mode review i could find as 30-35 hours for 100% on hard mode. that's about twice as long as metroid dread, a $60 game. that's twice as long as basically any metroidvania i can think of in the past few years, other than the ones that went hard on the RPG side of things and have grinding and such

i get hating ubisoft and not wanting to give them money or whatever, but also, if people won't pay $50 for a 20-25 hour video game in 2024 just because "it's a metroidvania," i feel like that's just gonna ensure no AA(A) publisher ever touches the genre again. this isn't like a callout to the people in this thread who posted they wouldn't pay that much, it's just a worried observation i am making. i'd also like if ubisoft montpellier stuck around because they made those good rayman games and their only other listed project is BG&E2 which is definitely super dead, so i feel like if this game fails that studio is done :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DalaranJ posted:

Here's your reminder that PALWORLD is coming to game pass in less than a week.
According to the latest trailer on Steam it will have the following amazing features:
-Character Customization
-Multiplayer
-PAL Abilities
-Base Building & Crafting (at this point in the video they show the famous clip with the rows of leafeons running an assembly conveyor belt of assault rivals inside a volcano)
-PALs with weapons
-Faction Leaders
that game is going to be absolute garbage and I have zero faith in the developers

it's still really funny and entirely worth it for the concept trailers alone

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Vermain posted:

darkest dungeon feels like one of those games where if you like it, you like it, and if you hate it, you really hate it, so a sequel's not really gonna make a splash amongst anyone other than the faithful
The only person I ever hear talk about it is woolievs

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Captain Invictus posted:

that game is going to be absolute garbage and I have zero faith in the developers

I'm hoping it makes for some very funny streams.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

craftopia is good, theyre proven

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

lost crown is getting quoted in reviews as 20-25 hours

too long imo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Erg posted:

too long imo

if you would like a cheaper, shorter metroidvania, might i recommend Momodora: Moonlit Farewell

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

if you would like a cheaper, shorter metroidvania, might i recommend Momodora: Moonlit Farewell

it's on my watchlist for when it comes out on something besides PC :cheerdoge:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

if you would like a machine on which to play metroidvanias, might i recommend a Steam Deck

(I didn't realize Momodora 4 was ported to consoles, hopefully there'll be ports for Moonlit Farewell soon as well)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
20-30 hours is comparable to Hollow Knight if it holds up. That actually does make me more likely to buy it, the map must be enormous

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man Lethal Company is funny. I wish it had more visual variety but the game has such naturally funny comedic timing. Playing it with a group of like 6 or 8 friends is chaotic and hilarious. Also since I never carry a walkie talkie cause I'm so confident I'll die and lose it, I love playing the psychic game between me and the friend on the console on the ship, when I'm dealing with turrets and peaking around corners to get her to turn them off, and then she does and I have to make a mad dash to the next spot.

Also the teleporter that throws you into a random spot inside the building is my favorite thing in the world so I'm always excited when we get the money for that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Euphoriaphone posted:

TBF as someone who's seen but only vaguely remembers the GOTG movies, and since the game is explicitly not the MCU version (but also maybe kind of?), I agree it's not super easy to jump into the game's plot. It doesn't help that the GOTG plot isn't a basic and well known backstory like "nerdy kid gets bit by spider, gets spider-like powers", so starting the game I have no idea what the characters' relationships with each other is supposed to be or how they came together. Is Star-Lord still the son of a planet in this version?

I know only what the films are about and the game does not follow that continuity so it's moot what you know from them. In fact the game presents itself as if you know very little of the band at all, and gives you information about them through other means - all you need to know is that the group of them are together, and Quill is a human. The rest unfolds as you play the game, and I found myself loving the character dynamics of this group more than the MCU's.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
25-30 hours seems too much for a Metroidvania. Hollow Knight is too long.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

lordfrikk posted:

25-30 hours seems too much for a Metroidvania. Hollow Knight is too long.

Hollow Knight is only that long because of how tough some of the boss fights are. I don't think the map is that much bigger than a typical Metroidvania.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Is there a place where I can discuss how The Surge 2 is kind of disappointing? Like a general Souls-like thread?

Anyway I played way more of The Surge 2 (beat the second boss) than many people according to the achievements and I get why. The levels are very very boring. There's no sense of wonder to it. All the repetition inherent to the genre sucks if the environment is also bland and repetitious.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I liked it well enough, but the way NG++ and up is handled was off-putting to me.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Healbot posted:

I liked it well enough, but the way NG++ and up is handled was off-putting to me.

I couldn't imagine playing it that much

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I liked the interconnectedness of The Surge 2

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Macaluso posted:

Man Lethal Company is funny. I wish it had more visual variety but the game has such naturally funny comedic timing. Playing it with a group of like 6 or 8 friends is chaotic and hilarious.

It really is, enough so that dying early and spectating doesn't even feel bad. Watching your friends make bad decisions or somehow evade a dozen monsters trying to murder them is entertaining as hell.

Perfect game for some followup Garctic, too, which is always a plus.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Over the last month or so I've played through TW3. I've just finished the HoS DLC and I have a short stretch of the main quest left to finish.

Amazing game, but I'm currently debating about whether or not to leave the Blood and Wine DLC to go through after a break to play something else.

I'm starting to feel the fatigue of the game's length and the combat was fine throughout but I've lowered the difficulty because I'm getting bored of it and just want to see the story.

What an experience though! I'm going to try to write some thoughts about my time with the game because it definitely will be on my GOTY list this year. At this point it shows its age in a few places but really, just a phenomenal game, surely one of the best western RPGs of all time.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 14, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tosk posted:

Over the last month or so I've played through TW3. I've just finished the HoS DLC and I have a short stretch of the main quest left to finish.

Amazing game, but I'm currently debating about whether or not to leave the Blood and Wine DLC to go through after a break to play something else.

I'm starting to feel the fatigue of the game's length and the combat was fine throughout but I've lowered the difficulty because I'm getting bored of it and just want to see the story.

What an experience though! I'm going to try to write some thoughts about my time with the game because it definitely will be on my GOTY list this year. At this point it shows its age in a few places but really, just a phenomenal game, surely one of the best western RPGs of all time.

I'd recommend taking a break. I tried to power through Blood and Wine when I was already burned out on the game and I didn't really enjoy it as a result.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Surge 2 is my favourite Soulslike (+ a good Metroidvania to boot) other than maybe Lies of P at this point

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
what are the genres that its acceptable to charge $50 for and what are the genres that are acceptable for a game thats 20-25 hours long

Strawberry Panda posted:

Hollow Knight is only that long because of how tough some of the boss fights are. I don't think the map is that much bigger than a typical Metroidvania.

nah it's substantially bigger than most other metroidvanias (for the better!), and it sounds like the lost crown is similar in scope (a good thing). the only others that come to mind as being similarly big are la mulana 1 & 2, but they're even longer with the immense amount of backtracking & puzzles

lih fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 14, 2024

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

GlyphGryph posted:

It really is, enough so that dying early and spectating doesn't even feel bad. Watching your friends make bad decisions or somehow evade a dozen monsters trying to murder them is entertaining as hell.

Perfect game for some followup Garctic, too, which is always a plus.

Yeah this is another thing about it that makes it work very well. Dying early doesn't feel as punishing because it's still entertaining to watch the rest of your crew bumble through a dungeon or switching over to the ship and seeing the person running the monitor desperately trying to keep said bumbling crew from dying in the dungeon by opening and closing doors and turning off turrets, all while the red dots become more numerous and start converging on the players.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Never pay more than 20 bucks for a video game

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RBA Starblade posted:

i abide by this rule unless it's a nintendo game

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

$20 in 1990, the year monkey island came out, is the equivalent of $48 today

just gotta wait for that sweet 5% discount on the lost crown and then you can feel fine about it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Inflation was invented by eggheads and pencil pushers to steal half my paycheck.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What about egg pushers and pencilheads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

abraham linksys posted:

$20 in 1990, the year monkey island came out, is the equivalent of $48 today

just gotta wait for that sweet 5% discount on the lost crown and then you can feel fine about it
The VGA version of Secret of Monkey Island was $60 USD when it came out, equivalent of around $140 USD today. Never spend more than 140 bucks on a video game IMO.