Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

jaete posted:

what i like most about this conversation is that i still haven't seen any actually reliable (or even reliable-seeming) facts about... well anything at all. is the guy even dead? according to whom? what did he die of?

despite this people are just chatting about "murdered in prison" and whatever the gently caress. sure, yeah

I'm not going to go back digging through twitter and news reports, but from what I can recall;

He died in hospital, not the prison. The prison may have denied him earlier treatment however, it seems he was ill for a while before. It's not likely anyone will care much about this beyond maybe a diplomatic 'hey not cool!' from the US. He was a heavy smoker and prison during a Ukrainian winter in the middle of a war isn't going to be a fun time.

The accusations of 'torture' were from Gonzo himself; other prisoners were "beating him" by twisting his arm and depriving him of sleep. I don't recall any reasonable accusations that the state or prison were torturing him.

There is no absolute right to free speech in Ukraine (or most countries outside the USA), and he very publicly broke war-time laws designed to protect both soldiers and civilians in the country he was resident in, then broke bail and tried to flee the country instead of standing trial, and therefore prison was exactly where he belongs.

Half of this information is from entirely unreliable narrators, but no-one official is saying a ton right now.

cynic fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I don't see any reason for Ukraine to have this rear end in a top hat murdered in jail. If he was one of the Russians who ordered a bunch of war crimes, sure, I could see it. But this was just some moron who talked poo poo online.

didn’t his poo poo-talking involve spying for the Russians?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Best source I am aware of so far.

quote:

When asked about Lira's reported death by Newsweek, a State Department spokesperson said they could "confirm the death of a U.S. citizen in Ukraine."

The spokesperson added: "We offer our sincerest condolences to the family on their loss. We stand ready to provide all appropriate consular assistance. Out of respect to the family during this difficult time, we have no further comment."

https://www.newsweek.com/who-gonzalo-lira-pro-putin-american-expat-dies-ukrainian-jail-1860496

I also doubt his father would claim the death of his son for shits and giggles. I think we can reasonably assume that he is indeed dead and not much else.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Subjunctive posted:

didn’t his poo poo-talking involve spying for the Russians?

There's been a bunch of people who spied for the Russians and they haven't been murdered in prison by Zelenskyy's assassins.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
political prisoner gonzalo lira was murdered by the zelensky regime in a secret ukranian biolab

zone
Dec 6, 2016

The second army of the world looks to not be in great shape these days.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

There's been a bunch of people who spied for the Russians and they haven't been murdered in prison by Zelenskyy's assassins.

Not yet, at least :colbert:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

LordArgh posted:

political prisoner gonzalo lira was murdered by the zelensky regime in a secret ukranian biolab

Please, it's the nazi-homo-natoist Zelenskyian Kiev Junta. You must have mistyped

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
More like gone-zalo lira

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

First they came for invader helping warcrime denying sex tourists, and I did not speak out

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

bad_fmr posted:

First they came for invader helping warcrime denying sex tourists, and I did not speak out

Then they released him without charge and he continued doing crimes so they came for him again, and I did not speak out
Then they let him out on bail and he made a deliberate spectacle of himself jumping bail so they came for him again, and I did not speak out

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

zone posted:

Is that cope cage built with a 2x4 and plywood?

Blyat indeed, my nervous friend.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zone posted:

Mad Max Furiosa looking surprisingly cold

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I don't see any reason for Ukraine to have this rear end in a top hat murdered in jail. If he was one of the Russians who ordered a bunch of war crimes, sure, I could see it. But this was just some moron who talked poo poo online. I don't see why they wouldn't be content just letting him rot in some cell somewhere.

Sure, maybe some guy who had family die at Bucha took offense at his "obviously the devious Ukrainians did this and tried to blame it on the innocent russians" poo poo, but if that happened it wouldn't be Ukraine killing him. It would be one guy committing a crime, for which I hope he would be judged in a court of law.

And even all that being said, "a fat old guy who smoked way too much dying in a cold prison of double pneumonia" is a much likelier scenario. Still something to investigate and judge in a court of law if that was allowed to happen without reasonable interventions, though.

guards were a bunch of lazerpig simps imo

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they tried to help Ligma but their healthcare resources were spread a bit thin for SOME REASON

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Zelenskyy's assassins making people smoke 3 packs a day for years before the war even started... how diabolical.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
they gave him a lovely haircut too

unconscionable

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I murdered gonzillira in jail and I'd do it again

godzalo minus one

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Maybe he was getting treated at one of the medical facilities that the Russians attacked with missiles.

Maybe the NATO warlock towers used their soul capture magic and his spirit now powers the fires of Big Z's personal sauna.

Could be lots of things.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

This thread is going to be quoted by a Kremlin talking head any day now

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I took a poo poo directly into the lungs of gonzalo and I didn't even ask for proof of his crimes

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I took a poo poo directly into the lungs of gonzalo and I didn't even ask for proof of his crimes

he deserved it too

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
There's a forlorn high window somewhere in Russia that can't help but think, "Double pneumonia? It should have been me."

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Tomfoolery posted:

This thread is going to be quoted by a Kremlin talking head any day now

SYQing is banned these days

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Anders Puck Nielsen weighs in on the GOP stalling aid to Ukraine in the US congress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHcDdUTL6oc

Motherfucker is a young Earth creationist. What makes you think he understands anything?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Look, nobody here thinks he deserved to die. They're just spending pages explaining why he was a bad person with no further implications

Yeah exactly this. We’ve been saying.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Tai posted:

60 a day smoker with double pneumonia was tortured and brutally murdered.

At that point he was probably torturing himself with every breath.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Just imagine the halitosis. Who wouldn't want to deny medical care and brutally murder him.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Look how they massacred my boy😔

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

russia needs to send scott ritter to get to the bottom of this

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I mean he could have just gone to israel and been safer then.

the thought of most women there having had basic training and not being impressed by him waving an american passport and tenbux around probably put him off tbh

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Whoah whoah whoah buddy!!!

Nobody said it was a BRUTAL murder. It was more like forgetting to water a house plant. An absent minded murder.

Oh poo poo, the penicillin!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Look how they massacred my boy😔

Double pneumonia'd up on a tuesday afternoon

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The out pouring of grief from Tucker, Musk, Grayzone, Greenwald, Russian media and tankies.

The loving state of it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Tai posted:

The out pouring of grief from Tucker, Musk, Grayzone, Greenwald, Russian media and tankies.

The loving state of it.

I wonder if they'll just shut up and forget about this a week later or if they are gonna drag this for months

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tai posted:

The loving state of it.

:eyepop:

I want to see the musk and tucker and greenwald tweets on this

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
An American died in Ukraine you say!!??

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Seeing lots of rumours of a pair of Russian AWACs getting bagged near the Sea of Azov. They shouldn't be anywhere within range of AA, right?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Scorchy posted:

Seeing lots of rumours of a pair of Russian AWACs getting bagged near the Sea of Azov. They shouldn't be anywhere within range of AA, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

staberind posted:

An American died in Ukraine you say!!??

NATO Nazis on the ground confirmed