Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
You'd think that it would also be part of a journalist's duty to put statements in context. For example if the government says something like "What we are aiding Israel in doing is not genocide." I would expect a journalist to say something like "according to the legal definition of genocide, what we are aiding Israel in doing is, in fact, genocide." But it seems that my conception of "Journalism" is a complete fantasy, and they are simply stenographers for the government and the corporate entities that they are beholden to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yes to all. When I went to uni for journalism, we were taught that we had to be objective, not subjective, which meant we could not come to any conclusion of any kind OURSELVES, we could only report what others said. If no government agency is framing it that way, then you'd be reporting your opinion instead of objective fact. Ostensibly the idea is that it's factual to say that Person Said Thing, but that very easily and rapidly becomes "government institutions are infallible."

See also: black people not being allowed to report on BLM because their lived experience would "interfere with objectivity."

Interesting, thanks for the insight. It definitely squares with what I read in CBC etc.

So objectivity = what genocidal institutions think is so.

Do you work in journalism now?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
So Canada's position is that the standard for genocide is really high. It's the most cowardly argument. It's making no value statement, it's not saying that things are poo poo or that they're justified. It's saying 'not quite there yet, boys' and it sure as hell implies that things are at least in the almost genocide stage.

Just openly saying that we are fine as long as things are only almost genocide.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
canadas position on genocide has to be that its an insanely high standard and its ok if it doesnt hit literally shipping train fulls of people to gas chambers because otherwise canada has been doing genocide for a hundred+years

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

so what if we did though

they'd probably just armwave it as another reconciliation act. yup we did a genocide it was bad but it's mostly over etc etc it's bad to do that maybe don't

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/JFCnotagain/status/1746268102277664850?t=imCJDJNv8yfxMXCak8gLGg&s=19

Don't care if you're wearing makeup Skippy bit at least have the decency to clean up after applying it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

dude looks like norm mcdonald cosplaying as kd lang

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yes to all. When I went to uni for journalism, we were taught that we had to be objective, not subjective, which meant we could not come to any conclusion of any kind OURSELVES, we could only report what others said. If no government agency is framing it that way, then you'd be reporting your opinion instead of objective fact. Ostensibly the idea is that it's factual to say that Person Said Thing, but that very easily and rapidly becomes "government institutions are infallible."

See also: black people not being allowed to report on BLM because their lived experience would "interfere with objectivity."

The journalist method which seeks objectivity above all is so bizarre, especially because even if you aren't synthesizing facts, you're still choosing and synthesizing sources.

Somehow this very simple and obvious point is just ignored by 90% of media.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

T.C. posted:

So Canada's position is that the standard for genocide is really high. It's the most cowardly argument. It's making no value statement, it's not saying that things are poo poo or that they're justified. It's saying 'not quite there yet, boys' and it sure as hell implies that things are at least in the almost genocide stage.

Just openly saying that we are fine as long as things are only almost genocide.

The lesson to learn from WWII is that waiting until a massive global conflict is inevitable and no poo poo extermination campaigns are in effect was the best thing the Allies did.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/JFCnotagain/status/1746268102277664850?t=imCJDJNv8yfxMXCak8gLGg&s=19

Don't care if you're wearing makeup Skippy bit at least have the decency to clean up after applying it

Judging politicians by their appearance is so weird, and I don't understand why libs here and elsewhere engage in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because gently caress him, that's why. Why the gently caress should he get any protection for the sake "decorum".

He's a vomitous shitweasel with or without makeup and I'll make fun of him for being poo poo at makeup too.

Arc Hammer has issued a correction as of 01:35 on Jan 14, 2024

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's so strange that they tore down all the encampments right before this cold wave.

Someone might think they had malicious intentions.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

You'd think that it would also be part of a journalist's duty to put statements in context. For example if the government says something like "What we are aiding Israel in doing is not genocide." I would expect a journalist to say something like "according to the legal definition of genocide, what we are aiding Israel in doing is, in fact, genocide." But it seems that my conception of "Journalism" is a complete fantasy, and they are simply stenographers for the government and the corporate entities that they are beholden to.

They get taught that objectivity is reporting what both sides say and letting the audience make up their own minds. Maybe, if you're not on a tight deadline, call up somebody widely recognized as an expert in the subject and ask them to analyze what the different sides said, but still then you're only supposed to report what the expert said. They don't get taught that objectivity means objectively reporting the facts and then doing analysis on them, because they're told to maintain a strict separation between news and views. One side of the business reports facts and gets paid below minimum wage, and then op-ed columnists get paid enormous salaries to do the views side of the business, with the result that the news is skewed and the views are completely divorced from reality.

PhilippAchtel posted:

The journalist method which seeks objectivity above all is so bizarre, especially because even if you aren't synthesizing facts, you're still choosing and synthesizing sources.

It's bizarre to me because even the basic level of source criticism you get in like an undergraduate degree should be teaching people that there's no such thing as true objectivity and even trying to report just the facts will be skewed by which facts you uncover from which sources, and which ones you choose to report. Like the last 50 years of study in the humanities has revolved around deconstructing supposedly objective sources of information to recognize that all sources are biased in some way, and to teach people how to cope with that to try and get a little closer to the truth. But yet none of that translates into "just the facts" journalism norms.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PhilippAchtel posted:

Judging politicians by their appearance is so weird, and I don't understand why libs here and elsewhere engage in it.

I'm pretty sure most politically aware people have already made up their minds about PP and chuckling at him for cynically swapping out his glasses to refresh his image or applying makeup badly is not really worth tut-tutting about.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Frosted Flake posted:

It's so strange that they tore down all the encampments right before this cold wave.

Someone might think they had malicious intentions.
Cruelty is the point, etc. They were actually looking to do it before Christmas but got injuctione'd.

If it actually gets to -50 as forecast that'll be Edmonton's all time low.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I'm pretty sure most politically aware people have already made up their minds about PP and chuckling at him for cynically swapping out his glasses to refresh his image or applying makeup badly is not really worth tut-tutting about.

it's this

he's a spineless amoral fuckman who'll signal boost whatever monsters promise him more power AND he looks like a complete buffoon

both of those things can be true but the second is all that's worth going on about at this point because "lol funny looking man" goes down a lot easier than "lol man riding white supremacists to power and promising them the moon and stars on the way"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Albino Squirrel posted:

Cruelty is the point, etc. They were actually looking to do it before Christmas but got injuctione'd.

If it actually gets to -50 as forecast that'll be Edmonton's all time low.

Yeah but this goes beyond cruelty. -50 is, I'm sorry, almost genocidal in its intentions.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
emergency alert saying to stop using power because its too cold. if only we could have forseen it getting cold, in alberta

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jsoh posted:

emergency alert saying to stop using power because its too cold. if only we could have forseen it getting cold, in alberta

It's okay Danielle Smith has already primed the province to blame the feds for it by saying the Carbon Tax would cause their homes to freeze and die in the winter.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

jsoh posted:

shitheads are gonna be running their air conditioners and calling it "rolling cold"

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah but this goes beyond cruelty. -50 is, I'm sorry, almost genocidal in its intentions.
Hey now, Canada has very firm definitions for genocide.

But yeah, poo poo is bad. If anyone in Alberta wants to donate mittens or socks to your local inner city organizations, they'd be most welcomed (by me, because I'm lazy and hate treating frostbite).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Karach posted:

Interesting, thanks for the insight. It definitely squares with what I read in CBC etc.

So objectivity = what genocidal institutions think is so.

Do you work in journalism now?

I do not. I was hoping to write for living and journalism is not writing. now i'm a marketing consultant lol.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Objectivity is just fundamentally impossible. Accurately catapogueing your biases is the closest we could feasibly get, but that would involve exposing the lie that Dan Rather or whatever was the font of truth to my (grand)parents and we cant have that.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

jsoh posted:

Took a look at their grid if they're full of poo poo here http://ets.aeso.ca/ets_web/ip/Market/Reports/CSDReportServlet

And yeah, due to their own imposed limits they have 397 MW reserve left before they'd need to import or draw from natural gas they don't want to. They have a lot more extra capacity in gas and hydro but aren't using it. I don't see any export values so I'm assuming that's where the capacity is going.

Also the capacity and actual generation of wind is rough. That's winter for ya.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

flakeloaf posted:

dude looks like norm mcdonald cosplaying as kd lang

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Still thinking about that coop job I applied for that was scripting scenarios for peacekeepers to practice conflict resolution in the Neverwinter Nights engine. I hope they moved on to Witcher 3 mods. Ok fine they're probably using Shadowrun now.

neverwinter nights kind of makes sense. it's a canadian game so they could justify it as using cancon when they couldn't if they did that stuff in like quake or unreal engine.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Isizzlehorn posted:

Took a look at their grid if they're full of poo poo here http://ets.aeso.ca/ets_web/ip/Market/Reports/CSDReportServlet

And yeah, due to their own imposed limits they have 397 MW reserve left before they'd need to import or draw from natural gas they don't want to. They have a lot more extra capacity in gas and hydro but aren't using it. I don't see any export values so I'm assuming that's where the capacity is going.

Also the capacity and actual generation of wind is rough. That's winter for ya.

I thought part of the problem was that some of the gas plants are down for whatever reason.

Gas isn't reliable, clearly. Time to pivot to something else Michelle!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Checking out what today's youth had to say on current issues (I don't remember what the exact prompt was but it was largely ignored and there was lots of Free Palestine), I found a future Liberal leader:

Also this salient point:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

don't die albertans

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Because gently caress him, that's why. Why the gently caress should he get any protection for the sake "decorum".

He's a vomitous shitweasel with or without makeup and I'll make fun of him for being poo poo at makeup too.

It's not a matter of decorum. You just look childish when you do it, like you'd rather talk about superficial appearances rather than substance.

You're creating your own distraction.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Even the term "shitweasel"... this is what libs think counts as an own, a kind of weak parking shot.

Anyway...

https://twitter.com/ForeignPoli_C/status/1746426375836160288

lol

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

PhilippAchtel posted:

It's not a matter of decorum. You just look childish when you do it, like you'd rather talk about superficial appearances rather than substance.

it's about media literacy

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
also unironically referring to ppl shitposting conservatives as "lib" is giving real rebel news vibes

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Checking out what today's youth had to say on current issues (I don't remember what the exact prompt was but it was largely ignored and there was lots of Free Palestine), I found a future Liberal leader:

We're just living in an Iannucci movie now huh

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Oysters Autobio posted:

also unironically referring to ppl shitposting conservatives as "lib" is giving real rebel news vibes

Welcome to cspam

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Frosted Flake posted:

The weatherman has to pay for this

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PhilippAchtel posted:

💩💩💩💩💩💩🍽️

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I cant wait for the inevitable string of internet leftists leaping to jorps defence by calling people libs when this thread learns about his Kermit voice

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

##gen-alpha rulez

The other gens don't rule as much

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

calling people names does seem to be pretty loving persuasive for a very large swathe of the population

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
gonna grab some mcdicks on the way to crappy tire