Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
its "uptown funk you up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tell that to my kid

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

ice ice baby and cotton eyed joe forever but now it's whomp there it is

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
My daughter is currently obsessed with the soundtrack for Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas, which was her favorite Christmas movie this year. It sounds like I have it good, although there is plenty of time for things to fall apart (she's four).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

5yo’s favourite song is Shake It Off by T. Swift. I don’t like it, but at least it’s a song. she also likes Kingslayer and Heavy Metal by BMTH.

had to have a quick chat explaining that swearing is OK in songs, but that’s not purchase to write songs for the express purpose of swearing

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Subjunctive posted:

tell that to my kid

oh. lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

little jones likes listening to groove salad on soma fm

he also likes other things, but that's the one that really tickles me

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mini pony spiked a 104°F fever which caused a febrile seizure so we just got to spend four hours at the pediatric ER. that was the opposite of fun.

guess the good news is we won't have to worry about our deductible from here on out.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Shifty Pony posted:

mini pony spiked a 104°F fever which caused a febrile seizure so we just got to spend four hours at the pediatric ER. that was the opposite of fun.

guess the good news is we won't have to worry about our deductible from here on out.

fuckin scary. hope the little one starts feeling better soon.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

dang feel better pony jr. ER visits when it's your kid is ultra scary for me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
most kids dont die

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

most kids dont die

anymore

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

And yet you hear people talking about how good the good ole days were or how they'd like to go back in time. I think people forget about medicine when making those claims.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ah yes, I work on the the front lines of vaccines and little actually makes me more mad

a giant chunk of our education when it comes to being a vaccinator is a) dealing with anaphylaxis and b) understanding vaccine risk

kinda wanna have people come at me ngl. I could take them down with facts and reason but feel like a swift roundhouse kick might work better

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my oldest thanked me and the missus for dinner tonight out of left field and drat that was cool

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

read her a book on feelings last night (my wife bought it, I think it's a bit old for her and some of its poetic descriptions don't make sense) but after she said "I feel happy" :3:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my 14yo asked me if i’d ever done drugs and I thought about it for a moment (and instead of saying like hell yea son you were conceive..) I said no and he said ew you nerd

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

my 14yo asked me if i’d ever done drugs and I thought about it for a moment (and instead of saying like hell yea son you were conceive..) I said no and he said ew you nerd

echi you've done a good job raising a child that so comprehensively owns you on a regular basis

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

echi you've done a good job raising a child that so comprehensively owns you on a regular basis

yeah, I’m in a similar situation with my kids and I’ll admit I smile inside every time they crush me with a dinner-time rejoinder. just inside, though

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CompeAnansi posted:

And yet you hear people talking about how good the good ole days were or how they'd like to go back in time. I think people forget about medicine when making those claims.
I have a child mortality rates graph saved on my phone for just these people.

LOL I can't wait

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

I have a child mortality rates graph saved on my phone for just these people.

can u share some

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

evil_bunnY posted:

I have a child mortality rates graph saved on my phone

i hate to kink shame, but…..

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

echinopsis posted:

can u share some

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1258353/infant-mortality-rate-in-europe/

polyester concept posted:

i hate to kink shame, but…..
I'm not ashamed of my "humiliating boomers" kink and nothing you say will change that.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
We had a super lazy morning and the kids let us sleep in until 9(!) and I didn't do poo poo but make sure they each ate some bagel but when I came back downstairs they were... playing a cooperative boardgame and listening to an audiobook at the same time.

#blessed #BetterLuckyThanGood

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thankyou

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

it seems like our boy is starting to prefer me a little bit over my wife which makes me feel bad. poor wife, he just kept crying a bunch this morning and every time she put him down he’d keep crying and crawling over to me at the same time.

it’s probably just because we’re on a vacation and everything is messed up, still feels bad though.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I'm sure I've posted this before but we always say "Mommy forever, for now!" (or "daddy" as appropriate) when our kiddo is going through those phases.

I found it to be a comforting reminder that I won't be the (dis)preferred parent for long, and I should make the most of it in whatever way I can. Whether that means cherishing the attention or enjoying some kid-free time to knock out other stuff (and pick up more chores if your partner is super busy with all the attention).

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Eeyo posted:

it seems like our boy is starting to prefer me a little bit over my wife which makes me feel bad. poor wife, he just kept crying a bunch this morning and every time she put him down he’d keep crying and crawling over to me at the same time.

it’s probably just because we’re on a vacation and everything is messed up, still feels bad though.

sounds like some good material to throw in her face the next time you have a big fight :getin:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

we’ve never had a big fight, so i’ll have tons of ammo

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Eeyo posted:

i am experiencing the exact same thing. just out of vacation and it feels like our 15 months old is mostly crying when with her mom. when she's with me she's super adorable.

i'm sure it will all change back in less than a week when i'm back to working 100% and my so is "lucky" to spend 50% of her time with her.

it's part of the reason why i'm slowly working my way to convincing my employer to allow me to work part-time (90%) with the same pay. one can dream.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

I'm sure I've posted this before but we always say "Mommy forever, for now!" (or "daddy" as appropriate) when our kiddo is going through those phases.

I found it to be a comforting reminder that I won't be the (dis)preferred parent for long, and I should make the most of it in whatever way I can. Whether that means cherishing the attention or enjoying some kid-free time to knock out other stuff (and pick up more chores if your partner is super busy with all the attention).

How long do these phases last? Because my 21-month old daughter has strongly preferred my company since she was able to express a preference. And we're 3 people looking after her but no one else seems to get a turn to be her favorite.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

getting all the emotions right now, rage to upset to bossy to clingy to cute to running around etc etc.

however we are "her best friends" so that's nice :3:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

well crap, i think i got my son sick with whatever i caught on the airplane.

at least i'm starting to feel slightly better (at least for now).

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
We got to have our first experience with norovirus. Boy, that was something.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eeyo posted:

well crap, i think i got my son sick with whatever i caught on the airplane.

at least i'm starting to feel slightly better (at least for now).

this game of tag never ends

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
one of the twins wanted to start taking a salad with him for school lunch a while ago, which, absolutely!

we learned from him recently that he wanted to take a salad because pretty much everyone at his table brings one as well.

Now that he brings a salad, he has created Salad Club at the table. He proposed a rule that if you don’t bring a salad, you have to run ten laps around the blacktop at recess - and everyone agreed.

There is one kid that doesn’t, and he runs laps every day.

im not sure whether to be proud of his leadership or horrified at the future implications, but it is funny as hell regardless.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

the first rule of salad club, is that you need to tell people about salad club

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the first rule of salad club, is that you need to tell people about salad club

lol

learn sign language to reach more people

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

prisoner of waffles posted:

We had a super lazy morning and the kids let us sleep in until 9(!) and I didn't do poo poo but make sure they each ate some bagel but when I came back downstairs they were... playing a cooperative boardgame and listening to an audiobook at the same time.

#blessed #BetterLuckyThanGood
Heaven. Ours did puzzles together for a good 2 hours this WE it was amazing.

Eeyo posted:

It'll flip back and forth a bunch. I refused to feel bad, if a little human who's been my all-consuming charge wants to show some love, I'll take it and be grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"I want a nap" "well it's bed time so let's get you ready" "no! I don't want to go to bed I want a nap!"

I mean I guess they are technically two different things.