Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I saw a CNBC thing on that last week. One of the problems they said was that people were not used to the fast acceleration of EVs and people were getting into accidents because they would floor the accelerator and then slam into something. It got so bad that Hertz only started renting EVs to people who signed a form saying that they had prior EV driving experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Twerk from Home posted:

Buried in the details also is that their Tesla fleet was mostly used for Uber driving, not normal rentals, so these things lived an even harder life than most rentals.

I irks me that companies can get away with crap like this with their financial reporting. They are doing it to scapegoat the technology and absolve themselves from their poor decisions "We were told EVs were the future and were responsible and bought in but it turns on the tech is bad" rather than "We got a kickback deal from Tesla to relieve them of excess inventory ignoring the fact that Tesla quality and cost of repair doesn't make sense for fleet vehicles and it cost us more money than we were expecting."

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I saw a CNBC thing on that last week. One of the problems they said was that people were not used to the fast acceleration of EVs and people were getting into accidents because they would floor the accelerator and then slam into something. It got so bad that Hertz only started renting EVs to people who signed a form saying that they had prior EV driving experience.

That's largely a Tesla thing as well though because their base models are still pretty quick. A basic Ioniq 5/EV6 or id.4 isn't going to get anyone into trouble.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dissss posted:

That's largely a Tesla thing as well though because their base models are still pretty quick. A basic Ioniq 5/EV6 or id.4 isn't going to get anyone into trouble.

Ioniqs and IDs usually have tame default pedal presets, even on the dual engines SKUs, to get better WLTP scores. Pretty much everyone but Tesla really.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

dissss posted:

You are criminally underestimating the capabilities of people to get into trouble.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Loki Kunti posted:

You are criminally underestimating the capabilities of people to get into trouble.

Sure but you could get into trouble in a Camry/whatever the default rental car is in your part of the world too - there is nothing inherently different about EVs

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The instant torque and off the line acceleration gives a pretty different feel to ICE cars though.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Twerk from Home posted:

Buried in the details also is that their Tesla fleet was mostly used for Uber driving, not normal rentals, so these things lived an even harder life than most rentals.

Three Olives posted:

I had a friend that drove Uber for a bit between jobs and his car coincidentally being damaged in a car accident. Apparently their deal with Hertz (I am absolutely certain that is going to turn out to be shady as poo poo) allow(ed/s?) Uber drivers that would commit to a minimum number of hours a super, super cheap week to week rental that would allow them to charge extra for Uber Comfort on top of them not having to put wear on tear on their own car. A huge chunk of the Ubers in my neighborhood/gayborhood are Teslas.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sab669 posted:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46317501/2025-vw-golf-gti-prototype-revealed/

I think one of my biggest "turn offs" with voice tech in cars is you have to use very specific key phrases, so maybe GPT will allow for more natural speech to control things?

In another ten years there will be no more good new cars.

:rip:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

In another ten years there will be no more good new cars.

:rip:

It’s ok we will still be able to buy good motorcycles.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Russian Bear posted:

This year I will get my big bike license and be free from the tyranny of traffic forever.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

Nah even those have touchscreens everywhere now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

cursedshitbox posted:

An AI powered touch screen binnacle that senses your helmet's facial expression and then automatically lane splits for you. Required download feature that can't be declined without voiding the warranty and bricking the bike for IP reasons.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Vinfast says they will sell an electric Jimny in the US next year:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/01/this-tiny-ev-crossover-from-vinfast-will-go-on-sale-in-the-us/

Maybe...

I mean, a tiny little electric offroader sounds great, but it's VinFast, so who knows?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Failson posted:

Vinfast says they will sell an electric Jimny in the US next year:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/01/this-tiny-ev-crossover-from-vinfast-will-go-on-sale-in-the-us/

Maybe...

I mean, a tiny little electric offroader sounds great, but it's VinFast, so who knows?

I know most of the reviews of the first VinFast have been poo poo, but I guess I gotta hand it to them for actually putting something on the road you can actually buy or lease.
So many other companies are still just vaporware bullshit or renders. I'd love to see them pull off the mini truck and the Jimni thing, maybe with lessons learned and applied from the first VinFast release.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
You Do Not, Under Any Circumstances, "Gotta Hand It To VinFast"

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

LOL. Oh poo poo.
Ok I would like my comment stricken from the record please.

So are any of the new EV startups real or non evil?
Next your going to tell me Fiskar and Alpha helped stage a Coup somewhere.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

quote:

Officers have reportedly seized Tran's electronic devices and copied their data, justifying it all under Article 331 of Vietnamese criminal code, which reportedly forbids harming the interests of others—from the individual to the state, and everything in between. That apparently includes big, blatantly problem-ridden businesses like VinFast.

What

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Scratch anything VinFast then.

quote:

Tran isn't the only person VinFast has called police on for negative press. In May 2021, the company tried to have cops harass one of its customers for posting a YouTube video complaining of problems with their car and the difficulty of getting warranty work done on it. U.S. media outlets reported similar quality problems when they drove the VF8, whose debut on the U.S. market was key to the company's overinflated stock valuation. (Its value has since fallen 80 percent.)

https://www.thedrive.com/news/vinfast-critic-detained-interrogated-by-vietnam-police-for-facebook-posts-report

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

You can still buy a drz400 or dr650 and be free of those things.

VVV Me too actually. All it has is a original gameboy level display. VV

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 12, 2024

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought a brand new Yamaha that has zero tech outside of ABS.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I thought VinFast getting its critics arrested was common knowledge.

There's one VF8 that I see in my area and it's owned by the guy who owns the dealership. They're always sponsoring local car events and begging people to come for a test drive.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Your 2025(?) Dodge Charger EV.

Pretty consistent rumors that this will be offered in EV and I6twin turbo flavors.

I give it two weeks after release before somebody shoves a HEMI in one.

More photos here: https://www.thedrive.com/news/revealed-2025-dodge-charger-daytona-shown-for-first-time

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

looks like an Avenger

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Dig the profile and the butt, but the front is... not great.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The first gen has to be ugly so they can sell a refresh to the same buyers.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

The first gen has to be ugly so they can sell a refresh to the same buyers.

:hmmyes:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Two more vaporware manufacturers to watch:

Olympian Motors, with an $80,000 clown car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOK1BF1mVuA&t=1s

And Horwin, who is totally gonna make a tron bike: https://www.horwin.com/#/future

Death to web 2.0 scrolling nightmares.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

You can still buy a drz400 or dr650 and be free of those things.

Had both. Never. Again.
$575 stators every 20k-mi like clockwork can eat my poo poo and hair. No, random aliexpress poo poo won't work.
After a couple I started running used ebay stators and decided to get a bigger bike.
The dr swallowed a valve right at 30k-miles several hundred miles from home in the middle of Death Valley. It'd rattle the exhaust header off every couple of months. It was kind of a lovely tractor. Got tired of its poo poo and sold it for $1500 with a 790 kit in it.
poo poo grade fasteners. poo poo grade electrics that are wicked overpriced. Heavy as a Honda. Not as enthusiastic to ride as a Yamaha.

I've yet to embrace efi on a bike. Nevermind all the rest of the connectivity bullshit.

The charger is a proper two door again, yay.
Also it has a dump. truck. rear end.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I feel the opposite. Front is… okay. Not great, but okay. The rear? Jesus Christ, the rear on the ICE Charger and Challenger looked dated as gently caress 10 years ago, and this improves nothing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Failson posted:

And Horwin, who is totally gonna make a tron bike: https://www.horwin.com/#/future

Death to web 2.0 scrolling nightmares.

Even if you don't care about motorcycles, you should click on this link just to see how long you have to scroll for the reveal.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Even if you don't care about motorcycles, you should click on this link just to see how long you have to scroll for the reveal.

That's the silent nod to how far away it is.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Hampton DeVille said to be partnering with Ford to put their Obelisk tablet on the next-gen Mach-E, as owners complained "what's this pussy mini-screen poo poo"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

GD_American posted:

Hampton DeVille said to be partnering with Ford to put their Obelisk tablet on the next-gen Mach-E, as owners complained "what's this pussy mini-screen poo poo"

Just waiting for Tesla’s “Oops! All Screen” edition where you steer with left or right arrows you keep pressed on the Allscreen. Of course they’ll improve the response time. Next update.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

davecrazy posted:

Your 2025(?) Dodge Charger EV.

Pretty consistent rumors that this will be offered in EV and I6twin turbo flavors.

I give it two weeks after release before somebody shoves a HEMI in one.

More photos here: https://www.thedrive.com/news/revealed-2025-dodge-charger-daytona-shown-for-first-time

Not a fan of the ballooned out and raised back end, it'd look so much better proportioned evenly with the front. But still looks a hell of a lot better than the previous gen, also nice that it has two doors again. Option of electric or ICE in the same vehicle is pretty neat.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

GD_American posted:

That show was great.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Snowmankilla posted:

That show was great.

I would love to have seen the Hampton DeVille take on an EV. I would imagine the engineers would start off with a very small CUV. And then it just keeps getting bigger, and bigger until it requires two parking spaces. And it has an onboard gas generator to extend range.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 16, 2024

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I was curious so I updated this image with a locomotive to be sure. If your pickup truck has worse forward visibility than a locomotive you have a problem.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shorter drivers, low seat positions, and lift kits not factored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We picked up a new IS350F yesterday, Incognito grey with red interior, looks awesome in person love the color. It's actually pretty nice going from a hybrid back to a smooth and powerful ICE vehicle lol.

Entertainment system is a bit dated but that's what we love about it, reasonably sized screen and it still has a CD player :getin: