Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It was an independent artist.

And gently caress, if you're gonna go into debt, at least hang dong. Show full penetration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

And gently caress, if you're gonna go into debt, at least hang dong. Show full penetration.

Would twitter even give a poo poo at this point or nah?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Btw I'm going to post this as a healthy example of review and criticism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3QrRw6GrTo

This dude realistically points out the flaws of the first two episodes but also the positives and isn't a frothing rage machine about it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah, like I am a total dipshit with money, hell I just finished up IMP team plushes. But 50k for that is seems like a let down. Like you could probably just pay someone from the team or even viv herself that much and get like the official thing on the down low.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

As long as someone didn’t say “cis” it would be fine.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
we dont know if the 50K is usd.

it could be iraqi dinar or some other "low power" money.

Also the Yule Log video has no log.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Watched the first two eps and I really like it so far! Watched it with my roommate who has only Helluva and not the Hazbin pilot and he seemed to follow it just fine? The songs rock so far

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

Watched the first two eps and I really like it so far! Watched it with my roommate who has only Helluva and not the Hazbin pilot and he seemed to follow it just fine? The songs rock so far

Wait, is the show available officially yet or is this still the leaked versions someone mentioned before? If the latter, could someone PM me a link/some info on where to watch them?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Larryb posted:

Wait, is the show available officially yet or is this still the leaked versions someone mentioned before? If the latter, could someone PM me a link/some info on where to watch them?

The leaked eps showed up on my friend's plex server :shrug:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

The leaked eps showed up on my friend's plex server :shrug:

Gotcha, thanks.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I'm holding back talking about it so I don't spoil stuff but I'm pretty I know who the final boss is.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
It’s pronounced “Helluva” and it’s Blitz

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally broke down and watched the leaked episodes, while I still prefer a couple of the pilot VAs the new cast is pretty decent for the most part and I’m at least interested to see where this goes. Odd though that despite the pilot coming out in 2019 they decided to more or less continue straight off it rather than start fresh (which I could see being a bit off putting to new viewers). Apparently we’re getting at least two confirmed seasons out of this with the first consisting of 8 episodes

There’s also one more Helluva Boss alumni in this series so far aside from Blitz’s VA playing the newscaster (Adam is voiced by Alex Brightman)

Also this will be my first time watching something off of Prime Video so what’s their release schedule typically like and do they put out episodes one at a time or in batch format like Netflix (or if it varies from show to show do we have a release schedule for this series yet)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 14, 2024

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Prime mixes up their releases but will generally do a multi-episode premier followed by weekly episodes. In Hazbin's case, it's going to be episodes 1 through 4 dropping on the 19th, then two more episodes drop each week thereafter.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Finally broke down and watched the leaked episodes, while I still prefer a couple of the pilot VAs the new cast is pretty decent for the most part and I’m at least interested to see where this goes. Odd though that despite the pilot coming out in 2019 they decided to more or less continue straight off it rather than start fresh (which I could see being a bit off putting to new viewers). Apparently we’re getting at least two confirmed seasons out of this with the first consisting of 8 episodes

There’s also one more Helluva Boss alumni in this series so far aside from Blitz’s VA playing the newscaster (Adam is voiced by Alex Brightman)

Also this will be my first time watching something off of Prime Video so what’s their release schedule typically like and do they put out episodes one at a time or in batch format like Netflix (or if it varies from show to show do we have a release schedule for this series yet)?

Alex Brightman is voicing Sir Pentious as well and James Monroe Iglehart is voicing the overlord Zestiel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Alex Brightman is voicing Sir Pentious as well and James Monroe Iglehart is voicing the overlord Zestiel.

Interestingly, the latter actor actually had a bit part in the original pilot (he was one of the patrons at the bar)

Also not sure what some people were talking about earlier as Alastor’s voice filter is very much still present

The music and character writing is about on par with HB in my opinion which is a good sign

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 14, 2024

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

PhazonLink posted:

we dont know if the 50K is usd.

it could be iraqi dinar or some other "low power" money.

Also the Yule Log video has no log.

I came across this within the animator community in LA (although I'm now in the gaming industry, I used to work in TV Animation and Feature Animation).

The Verbalase situation – it's quite something. It's unusual to see such a blatant self-insertion, and the resulting shitstorm...

From what I've gathered, it wasn't a 15-year-old kid behind it, as one rumor suggests. Instead, it was Verbalases contractor animator production team working on it as a side project in their Discord channel. According to Verbalase, he paid $47k USD for it, which seems to align with the bits of information I've come across. However, I haven't seen the whole thing myself.

Speaking from an animation production perspective, I've had experience with CG game trailers, feature films, shorts, commercials – you name it. The cost can vary widely, ranging from $10,000 per minute for low-end TV animation to $1,000,000 per minute for CG feature quality (think DWA/Disney, etc.). For example, a Blur game cinematic trailer for a AAA game might cost around $300-500k per minute. So, considering $47k for a 3-minute budget isn't that surprising to me.

Viv's reaction on her Twitter account was something, and I'm genuinely curious to see what happens next...

Verbalase being a chud isn't a surprise, some anti queer posts have come up in response to this...

But honestly, it's not entirely shocking. During my time in animation, I encountered a few chuds with similar attitudes. They often couldn't adapt or integrate well* within the Los Angeles/Hollywood system, leading to their eventual departure. They'd then play the victim card for years. These artists were often resistant to learning new processes and technology, which made them bitter over time.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Big K of Justice posted:

I came across this within the animator community in LA (although I'm now in the gaming industry, I used to work in TV Animation and Feature Animation).

The Verbalase situation – it's quite something. It's unusual to see such a blatant self-insertion, and the resulting shitstorm...

From what I've gathered, it wasn't a 15-year-old kid behind it, as one rumor suggests. Instead, it was Verbalases contractor animator production team working on it as a side project in their Discord channel. According to Verbalase, he paid $47k USD for it, which seems to align with the bits of information I've come across. However, I haven't seen the whole thing myself.

Speaking from an animation production perspective, I've had experience with CG game trailers, feature films, shorts, commercials – you name it. The cost can vary widely, ranging from $10,000 per minute for low-end TV animation to $1,000,000 per minute for CG feature quality (think DWA/Disney, etc.). For example, a Blur game cinematic trailer for a AAA game might cost around $300-500k per minute. So, considering $47k for a 3-minute budget isn't that surprising to me.

Viv's reaction on her Twitter account was something, and I'm genuinely curious to see what happens next...

Verbalase being a chud isn't a surprise, some anti queer posts have come up in response to this...

But honestly, it's not entirely shocking. During my time in animation, I encountered a few chuds with similar attitudes. They often couldn't adapt or integrate well* within the Los Angeles/Hollywood system, leading to their eventual departure. They'd then play the victim card for years. These artists were often resistant to learning new processes and technology, which made them bitter over time.

This industry is too woke for me! Time to bankrupt myself so my author avatar can get raw dogged by a Vivziepop character in as softcore fashion as possible! THAT'LL SHOW THE LIBTARDS!!

The true hilarity is not only is the entire thing pretty drat mild for the cost, apparently half of it is him running away like a maiden attempting to preserve her virtue? Dude what even is the angle here?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Big K of Justice posted:

I mean vivs reaction was mine as well. I am more curious who the audiance was for this. like was it just for his personal enjoyment or was he hoping to make it some weird side project to make money of hazbins launch.

as for the chud poo poo. I am sorta curious if Hazbin kicks off another weird culture war/"end woke" poo poo from various conservative weirdos. i assume at most it gets like a weird dumb fox news talking head moment. like helluva boss never did but i have never really seen chuds hate that show in general.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

I chuckled.

As for the leaked episodes, quite enjoyed them. It feels almost weird to get progression after what, four or five years. Wow Adam is a dick. And he's the original Adam? Yeah he ain't going to like Charlie due to who her mother and father is. Quite curious why Angels have horn like costumes. Originally I thought it was a bit of a mocking thing towards demons during the cull but they're wearing them in Heaven. None of the angels had been killed until now? Didn't expect that. The voices were all pretty great overall, Angel Dust sounds like the original VA for example. The others do a drat good job as well. Nifty is amusing. The only voice I actually hated was Katie Killjoy, it's bad, it's real bad. I actually thought they had given the wrong character the speaking line at first and it was meant to be her co host talking. The original VA was infinitely better.

So, Lilith has been missing for seven years. Alaster vanished seven years ago. Surely no connection there! Seems fans were a bit surprised by Valentino's characterization here. Overall I expect a fair amount of fandom backlash over certain scenarios, ships and the like some have worked up in their own minds in the several years since the pilot. Vox was cool.

I look forward to seeing how the show develops.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Last Call posted:

I chuckled.

As for the leaked episodes, quite enjoyed them. It feels almost weird to get progression after what, four or five years. Wow Adam is a dick. And he's the original Adam? Yeah he ain't going to like Charlie due to who her mother and father is. Quite curious why Angels have horn like costumes. Originally I thought it was a bit of a mocking thing towards demons during the cull but they're wearing them in Heaven. None of the angels had been killed until now? Didn't expect that. The voices were all pretty great overall, Angel Dust sounds like the original VA for example. The others do a drat good job as well. Nifty is amusing. The only voice I actually hated was Katie Killjoy, it's bad, it's real bad. I actually thought they had given the wrong character the speaking line at first and it was meant to be her co host talking. The original VA was infinitely better.

So, Lilith has been missing for seven years. Alaster vanished seven years ago. Surely no connection there! Seems fans were a bit surprised by Valentino's characterization here. Overall I expect a fair amount of fandom backlash over certain scenarios, ships and the like some have worked up in their own minds in the several years since the pilot. Vox was cool.

I look forward to seeing how the show develops.

Katie is now played by Blitz’s VA for some reason (and I can definitely hear him in the performance), I agree it’s weird but everyone else sounds fine at least and I’m glad Alaster retains his voice filter contrary to what some in this thread thought based on the trailer.

The writing feels about on par with HB to me as well only this one’s even more of a musical (the songs so far are pretty good though). Definitely on board with this so far

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I have a pretty big theory to one thing the extermination Angels look like demons because they ARE demons. Of a sort, Adam still ate the apple, he still sinned, even if he was let into heaven that stain remains. So the Executioners are mortals turned "angels" but who sinned in a specific way that Heaven cannot fully accept them.

This is why they're so different from the Cherubs and what we see of Lucifers tier.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

I have a pretty big theory to one thing the extermination Angels look like demons because they ARE demons. Of a sort, Adam still ate the apple, he still sinned, even if he was let into heaven that stain remains. So the Executioners are mortals turned "angels" but who sinned in a specific way that Heaven cannot fully accept them.

This is why they're so different from the Cherubs and what we see of Lucifers tier.

I strongly suspect they're stuck in purgatory with the promise that if they cull enough demons one day they'll be let into the club. And truthfully they never loving will be because they're dicks. I also like the fact Valentino is a whiny gently caress boi. He's threatening because he's like every other disturbed incel fucker but he actually has the power and resources to do real damage. Love Vox and Velvette too. I saw some people complaining she doesn't have a high pitched lolita voice and well...I don't get it. I like that she's ruthless and competent and sounds like an adult. Niffty's got the cute tiny girl thing with a yandere attitude down pat. We don't need another competing with her.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyDE8yhUtKE
Looks like Amazon's put up Hazbin Episode 1 for people to sample.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I think I'll write up a more thorough critique review of what I've seen later but so far I'm having a pretty drat good time altogether. Lot less cursing than I expected really.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was a solid episode honestly.. Vastly improved over the pilots break neck pacing. How long til Charlie snaps. Seeing her hell form for brief second and not a gag like the pilot was pretty tense. She was that close losing her poo poo on Adam.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I still find it odd they decided to just continue from where the pilot left off considering the former came out nearly 5 years ago but I like what I see so far. What time does Prime Video usually update?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Fridays, they update by twos I think?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Fridays, they update by twos I think?

Except this week where they're releasing the first 4 episodes at once, meaning we'll have the entire first season in just 3 weeks

A second season is already confirmed however (maybe more depending on how well the show does overall) and if I recall correctly Helluva Boss will resume in April

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 19, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Absolutely loved Episode 4. I can see why Amazon put up Poison as a lyric video before the episode dropped

Also I love Velvette

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, thought it didn't start until tomorrow. But yeah, the first 4 episodes are up on Prime right now.

I wonder if the early release was a bit of damage control for that weird fan animation someone spent 50K on recently

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 19, 2024

Caros
May 14, 2008

Larryb posted:

Huh, thought it didn't start until tomorrow. But yeah, the first 4 episodes are up on Prime right now.

I wonder if the early release was a bit of damage control for that weird fan animation someone spent 50K on recently

Doubtful. Amazon has been doing that for a lot of their stuff (they did it for genV for example)

Overall as someone who didn't know a drat thing about this before the trailer dropped, I'd say it is pretty good. The angel stuff in particular was very well done.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caros posted:

Doubtful. Amazon has been doing that for a lot of their stuff (they did it for genV for example)

Overall as someone who didn't know a drat thing about this before the trailer dropped, I'd say it is pretty good. The angel stuff in particular was very well done.

The original pilot is canon and available on the creator’s YouTube page I will say so track that down if you need any extra context

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Vaggie is the only character that just sounds weird to me. I can't explain why

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

a neat cape posted:

She's a bit stilted and monotone when she talks. It's not awful but it is a bit noticeable at times. Also after all the raving and pearl clutching end of the world poo poo about episode four I feel like these people would melt the gently caress down if they ever had to watch something spicier than Steven Universe.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I don't know about these first four episodes. The story isn't grabbing me and on the comedy side, well, it seems more interested in being a musical than a comedy. The jokes don't have quite the punch and pacing that I'm looking for.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I would say it was worth my time and my yearly free month trial of Amazon Prime. Like hell boss I don't particularly find it funny but I do find it fun. Animation is great, writing is decent. The musical bits are definitely a step up this time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I got used to Vaggie after a while (her current actress apparently also played Gosalyn in the 2017 Ducktales series), but pretty much everyone else was fine though I do miss Michael Kovach as Angel (Keith David is always welcome however)

The only weird one to me was Brandon Rogers as Katie Killjoy (she just sounds like a higher pitched Blitz)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 19, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I bounced hard off the pilot, but I had an absolute blast with the first four episodes.

The stakes are clearly laid out and I'm very interested in seeing where this is all going.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

a neat cape posted:

She's Poison Ivy from the Harley Quinn show. That's all I can hear - or see - when she's on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

She's Poison Ivy from the Harley Quinn show. That's all I can hear - or see - when she's on screen.

yeah same. i am ok with that. i also like her new outfit way more. I was never sure what the gently caress they were going for with the old outfit.