Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

If you think Bret looks like an rear end in a top hat in HIS book check out Julie Hart's book Hart Strings. Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
What if Roman wrestled a reincarnated Yokozuna for tribal chief

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Lid posted:

What if Roman wrestled a reincarnated Yokozuna for tribal chief

Just use the fake Yokuzuna they had on one of the Bloodmoney shows.

Unless MBS realised he was fooled and had him chopped up for daring to mock him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I just googled Bloodmoney becasue I wanted to see if it was Akebono they used instead of Yokozuna, but instead Google informed me that HHH's favourite musician now Lemmy is dead, Poppy, actually did a song called Bloodmoney & I'm cackling.

(And no, it was Hishofuji Hiroki)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 14, 2024

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

forkboy84 posted:

I just googled Bloodmoney becasue I wanted to see if it was Akebono they used instead of Yokozuna, but instead Google informed me that HHH's favourite musician now Lemmy is dead, Poppy, actually did a song called Bloodmoney & I'm cackling.

They wish they could've gotten Akebono.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

in case you didn't find out in your search anyway, no they did not use Akebono, they found some dude named Hiroki Sumi who according to cagematch had never had a match before and never had a match after

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TheKingslayer posted:

If you think Bret looks like an rear end in a top hat in HIS book check out Julie Hart's book Hart Strings. Yeesh.

I'm gonna take your word for it. Even in this book where he presents his version and tries to make everything sound like someone else's fault, he comes across as a massive shithead, so the truth had to be a lot worse.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Alaois posted:

in case you didn't find out in your search anyway, no they did not use Akebono, they found some dude named Hiroki Sumi who according to cagematch had never had a match before and never had a match after

He was apparently just some random sumo wrestler who was touring close by at the time. I remember taking work off to watch The Greatest Royal Rumble at the time and the Babatunde and Hiroki Sumi jokes fed me and my roommates for weeks afterward.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

forkboy84 posted:

Mike Bennett is a totally passable midcard hand. He is a bit of bland but he can still have a totally alright match. Honestly a pretty good tag wrestler. If he's in your World Title scene then that's a bad sign, but he's an acceptable goon.

Yeah but that's exactly the trouble: ever since Bennett and MATT TAVEN appeared in RoH, they have been involved in top level storylines for reasons that only make sense to Tony, and possibly not even him.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

MATT TAVEN pwns, idiot. Here, have some evidence

Would a "RoH Jobber" do that?!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mike Bennett had some excellent matches on Honor Club. The first real feud of that era was Darius Martin and Action Andretti vs. The Kingdom and it culminated in a great Fight Without Honor, but Bennett also had a great singles match against Darius in the buildup to it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Mike and Maria Kanellis was probably a shot at CODYandbrandi RHODES but their stupid theme and entrance cracked me up every time. And The Kingdom in the modern day have been good. :colbert:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

the only wrestler to win world titles in both Arena Mexico and Madison Square Garden: Matt Taven

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah he's doing it right in that gif.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

karmicknight posted:

the only wrestler to win world titles in both Arena Mexico and Madison Square Garden: Matt Taven

Ain't he great?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Only two wrestlers are cool and prestigious enough to have catchphrases that are just desperate pleas to be acknowledged as themselves:

Roman Reigns, the Forever Champion, and his equal MATT TAVEN

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anyone else say Matt Taven like Matt Damon from Team America?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Every time

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

A lot of Melvins itt

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
i say his name with solemn respect

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

2000 HHH is remembered fondly because the product was the hottest it had ever been and post-Russo they had maximized the mix of in-ring stuff and sports entertainment nonsense.

I love the Trips/Angle/Rock triple threat from SummerSlam '00, but it's not, like, a good match or anything. Kurt's brains get scrambled, Steph's acting is horrific, they're all screaming spots at each other....but Jim Ross is on fire, the crowd is going bananas, you can't help but think the match is great.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Tatt Maven

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Now show him as black and then asian

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah but that's exactly the trouble: ever since Bennett and MATT TAVEN appeared in RoH, they have been involved in top level storylines for reasons that only make sense to Tony, and possibly not even him.

lol at the idea of Tony's ROH, essentially just Dark with Athena but you pay for it, having top level storylines. It's the AEW C show.

Still, if you come watch All Japan then there's no The Kingdom.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Why would I watch the new japan c show

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

lol at the idea of Tony's ROH, essentially just Dark with Athena but you pay for it, having top level storylines. It's the AEW C show.

AEW feeder league or WWE feeder league. Tough choice.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

What's the point then if it doesn't have Matt Taven?

Alternatively, they call it All Japan yet all the best Japanese wrestlers are in other promotions. What gives?!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

What's the point then if it doesn't have Matt Taven?

Alternatively, they call it All Japan yet all the best Japanese wrestlers are in other promotions. What gives?!

I didn’t know Nakajima was in other promotions.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The_Rob posted:

I didn’t know Nakajima was in other promotions.

I believe he's technically a freelancer rather than being exclusively signed to AJPW. I know he's specifically called out Shingo before now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TheKingslayer posted:

Anyone else say Matt Taven like Matt Damon from Team America?

That's how I hear it every time.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

super macho dude posted:

Now show him as black and then asian

Didn't realize CM Punk was married to Colin Jost

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
i wish we were briefly matt taven's mat tavern

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

All Japan rules even if I like NOAH more (New Japan had its run on top for a long time for me but has blown it since the COVID era)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

All Japan rules even if I like NOAH more (New Japan had its run on top for a long time for me but has blown it since the COVID era)

Nah they're back again. Covid era NJPW is in the rear view mirror

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

forkboy84 posted:

Let's be real, it's the D show

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Goblin Queen posted:

I watch roh and enjoy it but I agree with this. For me part of the reason it’s not as good is the crowds are often thinned out for many matches, so the energy isn’t as high and it’s felt.

It was much better when they had the studio tapings, even taking into account the jobber matches.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

In many ways NOAH is like AEW. It's booked really poorly but there's enough good wrestlers to make it worth watching 1 or 2 matches from most of their bigger shows. I dunno where I'd rank NOAH among current Japanese companies. It might make top 10 (which is criminal for a company with Kenoh & Kaito & an example of how bad NOSAWA is as a booker). AJPW, SEAd, Stardom, NJPW, FREEDOMS, DDT, TJPW, BJW, Sendai Girls. NOAH might slide in at 10.

Goblin Queen posted:

You're right, I apologise.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DuhSal posted:

I watch roh and enjoy it but I agree with this. For me part of the reason it’s not as good is the crowds are often thinned out for many matches, so the energy isn’t as high and it’s felt.

It was much better when they had the studio tapings, even taking into account the jobber matches.

It would be really cool if they could just use Daily’s Place for ROH. It looks cool on TV and it wouldn’t be any different from doing the studio tapings at Universal. Just make tickets cheap and do like 1-2 tapings a month so you don’t burn everyone out.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

Ganso Bomb posted:

It would be really cool if they could just use Daily’s Place for ROH. It looks cool on TV and it wouldn’t be any different from doing the studio tapings at Universal. Just make tickets cheap and do like 1-2 tapings a month so you don’t burn everyone out.

Yeah, I think this is the most sensible solution. I think I kind of get why they'd want to do it along with Collision but it just isn't working. By the time they tape ROH the crowd has either left or has no energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I've been reading Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling and it's actively making me like Bret a lot less. He just constantly comes across as a whiny hypocrite who will cheat on his girlfiend (and then wife) at the drop of a hat and then blame her for making him do it, and has a lot of extremely questionable opinions about various minorities.

I'm about 25% in, does it ever get better or even entertaining?

One amusing bit though: the man was so loving devoted to kayfabe that he wouldn't tall his then-girlfriend (and future wife) that wrestling was fake and actively tried to conceal it from her, which is just comically stupid and probably was comically stupid at the turn of the 80s when he did it.

I also read his book and am entirely in agreement with you.

In addition to the points you make, what got me is how much of a precious whiny crybaby he comes across as.

"Wrestling is fake, so why are they kicking up a stink that they have to lose to us? But we are the champs, it doesn't male sense that we would lose, that would make us weaker than them, and we all know that's not true."