Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What’s the point of this hypothetical? He’s having probably the best rookie QB season ever, it’s safe to say he’s probably pretty good irrespective of his coaching.

Yes, he would be doing worse with worse coaching just like every other QB in the NFL. He’d still have absolutely beautiful touch and accuracy and a drat good arm though.

I'm just thinking of rebuttals as my family of Panther fans are in my ear non-stop for preaching about Stroud early. He's a drat good player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Does Stroud even put up the same numbers if he were a Panther? Because I would argue Bobby Slowik is helping Stroud out more than anything.

He really was lucky to go to the second worst NFL team.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

whos that broooown posted:

He really was lucky to go to the second worst NFL team.

Lovie Smith is forever in the hearts of Texans fans for deciding to win that worthless game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Lovie Smith is forever in the hearts of Texans fans for deciding to win that worthless game.

From what I've seen it sounds like Houston still would have taken Stroud

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

IcePhoenix posted:

From what I've seen it sounds like Houston still would have taken Stroud

It's just wild to me that the entire Panthers brass (at the time) was deadset on Stroud, and their impatient bastard of an owner decided, "Nah. I want the Bama boy."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

A Sneaker Broker posted:

It's just wild to me that the entire Panthers brass (at the time) was deadset on Stroud, and their impatient bastard of an owner's wife decided, "Nah. I want the Bama boy."

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I'm just thinking of rebuttals as my family of Panther fans are in my ear non-stop for preaching about Stroud early. He's a drat good player.

The coaching is good, but it’s not why he’s got the most insane touch on balls thrown with an incredibly quick windup. Like Stroud on any team this year might not have had this level of success but those two parts would’ve had people stoked about him regardless

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The coaching is good, but it’s not why he’s got the most insane touch on balls thrown with an incredibly quick windup. Like Stroud on any team this year might not have had this level of success but those two parts would’ve had people stoked about him regardless

Yeah, even if Carolina had ended up with the same record with Stroud at the helm but he was showing half of what he's showing now, the conversation about the future of the Panthers is entirely different than the current "this team is turbofucked" discourse we're been engaged in for weeks now

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
After just one year I can think of several young, highly touted QB prospects I'd trade for Stroud right now.

Ignoring the most obvious ones (Wilson, Young, Murray, Tua, etc.), do you trade Trevor Lawrence, Justin Herbert, Jalen Hurts or even Josh Allen to Houston if you're the GM and the Texans would do it? I think he's already better than Trevor and Hurts.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I'd think the answer to every single one is yes in theory; if only to reset the clock on a rookie QB deal to spend elsewhere to try and push over the top

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Herbert and Allen are the only names I hesitated on, and it'd take a significant sophomore slump next year to make those questionable

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Canopus250 posted:

I'd think the answer to every single one is yes in theory; if only to reset the clock on a rookie QB deal to spend elsewhere to try and push over the top

So any other QB or just the ones I listed? Ignoring age, contracts and poo poo and just straight up trades based on what we know right now, how long is the hypothetical list?

Lawrence, Burrow, Herbert, Prescott, Hurts, Jackson..?

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Of those you listed. I don't think the Bills/Chargers ever would, but its hard to overstate how good being on a rookie QB contract is right now

edit: read what you said more closely and I'd think it's 20 teams easily: NYJ, NYG, NE, CLE, PIT, Jags, Colts, Titans, Denver, LV, WSH, MIN, CHI, all of the NFC South, and the NFC West minus the Niners probably

From there I'd also think Eagles and Miami might consider it, but I don't know how much those teams would rather stick with their guys they already know

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 14, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Canopus250 posted:

Of those you listed. I don't think the Bills/Chargers ever would, but its hard to overstate how good being on a rookie QB contract is right now

edit: read what you said more closely and I'd think it's 20 teams easily: NYJ, NYG, NE, CLE, PIT, Jags, Colts, Titans, Denver, LV, WSH, MIN, CHI, all of the NFC South, and the NFC West minus the Niners probably

From there I'd also think Eagles and Miami might consider it, but I don't know how much those teams would rather stick with their guys they already know

Yeah, I tried to leave out the obvious ones (Jets, Giants, Vikings, etc.). I think SF trades Purdy straight up?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I got a qb I’d trade for CJ stroud.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

FizFashizzle posted:

Why don't you believe in Andey?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

it's a little early for April Fools, sir, now stop pointing at that kicker and show me this QB

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BiggerBoat posted:

After just one year I can think of several young, highly touted QB prospects I'd trade for Stroud right now.

Ignoring the most obvious ones (Wilson, Young, Murray, Tua, etc.), do you trade Trevor Lawrence, Justin Herbert, Jalen Hurts or even Josh Allen to Houston if you're the GM and the Texans would do it? I think he's already better than Trevor and Hurts.

Herbert and Allen are top 5 guys they don't belong lumped in with any of those other guys.

I like Stroud but I wouldn't go from Herbert or Allen to him

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nodoze posted:

Herbert and Allen are top 5 guys they don't belong lumped in with any of those other guys.

I like Stroud but I wouldn't go from Herbert or Allen to him

Yeah that’s two different questions.

Is CJ better than Hurts and Lawrence? Yeah probably.

Is he good enough and the cap space important eno if not trade him for two guys that are the best in the league and have proven it across multiple seasons, one of which who has done it with questionable coaching at best. yeah nah

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The players I would trade Stroud for at this time:

Josh Allen
Joe Burrow
Lamar Jackson
Patrick Mahomes
Justin Herbert

That's it. For a rookie, that's insane.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Stroud has a won a playoff game, I'll take him over Herbert

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If you treated the NFL like a Madden simulation, Stroud would be the single most valuable player. The Bills would probably be better with Stroud and Tee Higgins and tons of money over the next three years than they will be with Allen and his contract.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kirios posted:

The players I would trade Stroud for at this time:

Josh Allen
Joe Burrow
Lamar Jackson
Patrick Mahomes
Justin Herbert

That's it. For a rookie, that's insane.

And you can make a real argument that not to trade Stroud for these guys based on ookie contract value and the unknowns of moving to a new team.

Texans are in a real good spot.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Yeah there are absolutely a bunch of QBs I'd take over Stroud if I needed to play a game tomorrow. But if I just became the General Manager of a team this second, Stroud is, without question, the most valuable asset you can have. An elite level QB entering the 2nd year of his rookie contract. Thats unfathomable.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Not that it should matter at all but I understand how someone like tepper could have been put off by speaking with CJ stroud.

Conversely I can see how Bryce’s insincere corporate bullshit would have gone straight to his heart.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

FizFashizzle posted:

Not that it should matter at all but I understand how someone like tepper could have been put off by speaking with CJ stroud.

Conversely I can see how Bryce’s insincere corporate bullshit would have gone straight to his heart.

It’s an evil world we live in. I hope some day all Panther’s fans are freed from the shackles of David Tepper.

But yeah, I’ll say Stroud is a Top 5 QB in the league right now.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I'm still in awe of how insane the Texans turnaround has been this year, even outside of Stroud they got a bunch of talent and DeMeco is a legit good coach. Happy for Texans fans and honestly happy for the rest of us as NFL fans bc holy poo poo Stroud is so much fun to watch.

I hope they somehow win the next round too just to make this an even more insane year

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I hope they win the Super Bowl and right after thanking his lord and savior Jesus Christ he looks right at the camera and calls David Tepper a stupid, old bitch.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s genuinely impressive what the Texans have done, and how quickly they prove yet again that if your QB is that dude you’re going to do well.

It’s why I’m still iffy on a qb a lot of folks call elite - he just seems to crumble at the end - but seeing a guy like Stroud come in immediately and dominate… it’s fun and annoying. As a fan of a team hitched to mediocrity from a bama Qb I honestly feel panthers fans pain

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

We've never even had a young QB who could consistently deliver mediocrity. It's rough. I see what the Texans and Bengals and Bills and Chiefs and Chargers got and I'm jealous. Baker's cool and all but he's a 2-3 season stopgap at most

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

It’s genuinely impressive what the Texans have done, and how quickly they prove yet again that if your QB is that dude you’re going to do well.

It’s why I’m still iffy on a qb a lot of folks call elite - he just seems to crumble at the end - but seeing a guy like Stroud come in immediately and dominate… it’s fun and annoying. As a fan of a team hitched to mediocrity from a bama Qb I honestly feel panthers fans pain

Who, Herbie? Or Trevor?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

I hope they win the Super Bowl and right after thanking his lord and savior Jesus Christ he looks right at the camera and calls David Tepper a stupid, old bitch.

:hmmyes:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I hope Tepper buys the Hornets and announces his new partner George Shinn and a thousand years of darkness falls upon Charlotte.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

AndrewP posted:

Who, Herbie? Or Trevor?

Lol i was going to say Burrow but now you’ve got me thinking

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Amy Pole Her posted:

What….?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

wait what

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I think Herbie is better than Burrow. Is that really that controversial? I genuinely didn’t realize. For some reason the shine came off burrow in my mind. I think he’s got a much better system, too. Maybe 2024 proves me wrong?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

I hope Tepper buys the Hornets and announces his new partner George Shinn and a thousand years of darkness falls upon Charlotte.

The Hornets are bad enough already, they don't need the extra help

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Amy Pole Her posted:

I think Herbie is better than Burrow. Is that really that controversial? I genuinely didn’t realize. For some reason the shine came off burrow in my mind. I think he’s got a much better system, too. Maybe 2024 proves me wrong?

I’m confused at the idea that Burrow crumbles in the end? He‘s had some pretty good performances in big games. Unless you mean his body, which is constantly crumbling, I don’t think that’s a particularly good description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I consider Joe Burrow the best QB in the NFL so yeah I think that’s not a great take, even if Herbert is Top 5.