Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Play heavens vault, it makes translating a language the central deal of the game, and it's a real actual interesting conlang and not just a cipher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if you don't have a smartphone in 2024 i respect it, but you're doing so with the knowledge that a small slice of modern life is just going to be inaccessible to you

to be fair fez came out in 2012, it was more plausible for someone to not have a smartphone back then

e: although googling it, apparently all of the QR code puzzles had a redundant language cipher puzzle which gave the same information

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 14, 2024

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if you don't have a smartphone in 2024 i respect it, but you're doing so with the knowledge that a small slice of modern life is just going to be inaccessible to you

For example: Diablo Immortal

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

You don't even need a phone, you can just screenshot it and use a desktop or online QR code reader.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Fatty posted:

Do not sleep on this trailer. I really cant decide on my favourite quote.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256988741/movie480_vp9.webm
Your bones weep.
Weep in want of hard-liner stringency.

quote:

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION
The developers describe the content like this:

- Grotesque creatures
- Skeletons
- Nudity
I don't know why I'm finding it so funny that "skeletons" needed its own mature content bullet point.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
China has issues with skeletons, apparently

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't know why I'm finding it so funny that "skeletons" needed its own mature content bullet point.

Skeletons are considered incredibly offensive in China

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Bunch of superstition, skeletons aren't even real

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Impermanent posted:

Play heavens vault, it makes translating a language the central deal of the game, and it's a real actual interesting conlang and not just a cipher.

In a similar vein, Sethian is a neat language game. You have a computer that holds the history of an alien race, and you have to figure out how to communicate with it in the alien language. The first phrase you're likely to start recognizing is the equivalent of "I don't understand that."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay but is boner a slur for them or not?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Obviously

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orv posted:

Obviously

It was not obvious to me!!! But now that I know better I will refrain from using it ever again.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Something something priapism phrenology

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Is Boneraiser Minions banned from Steam China?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I don't know if I'm just missing :thejoke: but no, skeletons are not generally offensive to chinese people.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It’s a commonly spread piece of information due to Chinese versions of games (somewhat?) frequently modifying skeleton characters/mobs models but I personally am unclear to what level it’s actually a thing driven by any reality.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's just one of those things where the rules on what is actually banned is extremely broad - "do not promote superstition" for example - so publishers just pre-emptively gut the game of everything they can think of so that censors don't have an excuse to bounce their game out of the market.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Skeleton censorship for Chinese versions has been a thing talked about by some publishers going back decades, but contextually, it's not that they've been forced to do so in almost any case out there, it's that imported material gets screened for content and companies involved wishing to expedite the process tend to self-censor to minimize chances that their products get held up on even fringe pretexts. That's it.

Estel
May 4, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don't know if I'm just missing :thejoke: but no, skeletons are not generally offensive to chinese people.

Orv posted:

It’s a commonly spread piece of information due to Chinese versions of games (somewhat?) frequently modifying skeleton characters/mobs models but I personally am unclear to what level it’s actually a thing driven by any reality.

Ghostlight posted:

It's just one of those things where the rules on what is actually banned is extremely broad - "do not promote superstition" for example - so publishers just pre-emptively gut the game of everything they can think of so that censors don't have an excuse to bounce their game out of the market.

Exactly, Chinese censorship laws are so broad and open to interpretation that lots of companies prefer to autocensure themselves to prevent problems and delays.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sucks a bit for the end user but reasonable enough.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe China is secretly ruled by skeletons

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Technically all nations are secretly ruled by skeletons

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I missed the other page, but I still want to say that yes, Total Annihilation remains the best RTS of all time and in another timeline the genre followed it instead of Starcraft and never died.

Both BAR and Zero-K are good modern versions.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

My god

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

not a problem, i use blunt weapons

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I am very confused. I own hitmans 1 and II. I bought what I thought was, and indeed is listed as, Hitman III on Steam. I open the game- the Hitman III levels require a 40$ upgrade- 'World of Assassination Part I.' Wtf did I just buy lol. There's no info on the store page to explain this

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fuligin posted:

I am very confused. I own hitmans 1 and II. I bought what I thought was, and indeed is listed as, Hitman III on Steam. I open the game- the Hitman III levels require a 40$ upgrade- 'World of Assassination Part I.' Wtf did I just buy lol. There's no info on the store page to explain this

Get a refund for both of those, then start again and go here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1659040/HITMAN_3/

and get this:

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/963308/

It will have Hitman 1 (all), Hitman 2 (all) and Hitman 3 (all)

yes it's stupid, welcome to IO's dumb publishing

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I remember wanting to buy Total Annihilation as a kid in Fry's Electronics but my dad said "no, that box art looks cheap, you should pick something else"

Way to go dad

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

StrixNebulosa posted:

Get a refund for both of those, then start again and go here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1659040/HITMAN_3/

and get this:

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/963308/

It will have Hitman 1 (all), Hitman 2 (all) and Hitman 3 (all)

yes it's stupid, welcome to IO's dumb publishing

much obliged. just very bewildering

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Antigravitas posted:

And that all RTS aped the micromanagement bullshit.

Look at this poo poo, it's glorious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGDCmy0IDV4&t=2985s

What an amazing reversal.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Hogama posted:

Skeleton censorship for Chinese versions has been a thing talked about by some publishers going back decades, but contextually, it's not that they've been forced to do so in almost any case out there, it's that imported material gets screened for content and companies involved wishing to expedite the process tend to self-censor to minimize chances that their products get held up on even fringe pretexts. That's it.

We self censor all the time for economic reasons, for example companies proudly sponsor sports teams but sponsoring a trans person gets the kid rock demographic shooting up defenseless consumer products

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't play RTS but streams of 8v8 matches of this game are a lot of fun to watch, hope it's successful whenever it's finished.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I remembered this story today and I think it was about TF2, but I tried to search for some article or something about it but I couldn't find it. It goes like this: Valve once released some promotional image with a bunch of random items in it, and people started speculating about what this or that item did, and based on what people were most excited about, they put those in the game.

Did I hallucinate this or did it really happen?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Skeletons are considered incredibly offensive in China
China taking the L on the best low-tier monster you can have in a fantasy setting.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just replace all skeletons with jiangshi

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Nothing can stop The Re-Animator!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Antigravitas posted:

And that all RTS aped the micromanagement bullshit.

Look at this poo poo, it's glorious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGDCmy0IDV4&t=2985s

Are you the guy who posted this last time supcom came up? I lost many hours of my life watching these last year, either thanks to you or another goon. They’re all really engaging. I remember one replay where there was like a full on minute of nuclear launch spam and that was really hilarious and impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Skeletons are nudity