Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Shooga made the very 1st movie version SA MOTY last month and plans to do it again next year! Join us, just as with the once humble SA GOTY... every year the beast will grow!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049769&pagenumber=1

Very excited to welcome a new member to the *OTY Thread family :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Shooga made the very 1st movie version SA MOTY last month and plans to do it again next year! Join us, just as with the once humble SA GOTY... every year the beast will grow!

drat, now I'm kicking myself for missing that.

Thanks for sharing the link!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My movie of the year is Yöton Yö (but I’ve only seen some of it)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rarity posted:

It never would've happened without you, Rarity. :) Thanks for bringing us together against all odds.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t remember Rarity starting the TVIV GOTY threads

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t remember Rarity starting the TVIV GOTY threads

I do

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
If I had just finished my top ten movies of the year with an analysis of their video game vibes, someone would have pointed me to that thread in time to vote.

Once again, : justpost: reigns supreme.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i dont even remember watching any movies last year...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wasn’t it Sophia? Who doesn’t even post anymore

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah I can't take credit for starting the TV IV ones, I just expanded it to video games :)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh jeez, you're right, that's a name i haven't heard in twenty-five years....

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I struggle to watch 5 films in a year but I will try to participate this year!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I have been trying to watch more movies in general starting last year so hell yeah, hopefully I remember this in December

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I picked up My Time at Sandrock, which wasn't on my radar at all, and now I can't put it down. Thanks, GOTY thread!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

biceps crimes posted:

I picked up My Time at Sandrock, which wasn't on my radar at all, and now I can't put it down. Thanks, GOTY thread!

Enjoy!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
This thread is awesome and I’m glad I finally participated this year, thanks to VG and everyone!

I am on a huge movie kick this year so far, trying to see at least a movie a day (I’m up to 30 since the 1st) and definitely plan to post my top ten in the next movies of the year thread. Only problem is I’ve barely played any games in the same time! Hope to find some balance soon

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

biceps crimes posted:

It's so goddamn good, I'm excited for more goons to experience it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I have skepticism of sandrock cause I bounced off of Portia really hard…

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kerrzhe posted:

I didn't play Portia so I couldn't really tell you if it fixed any issues you had with that game, I just really enjoy Sandrock. It's entirely possible those issues are still there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kerrzhe posted:

I didn’t play Portia and don’t plan to because everyone tells me that Sandrock is immensely better.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kerrzhe posted:

Snooze Cruise posted:

Like have you played My Time At Portia? That game was so loving bland. This is on the other hand is charming and funny. Biggest improvement I ever seen from a sequel? I still neat to beat it but honest to god this might be the best in the genre.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
My Time at Sandrock has an astonishing amount of content, too. The story is long, and there are a ton of side quests

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I didn’t hustle and left it running paused through a few meals, but Steam says I was at 130 hours when I rolled credits (still underleveled for some gear I have)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

🥹 thanks for sharing the link! happy to see there's interest from outside the CineD forum. i'm happy to do it again at the end of this year regardless of the number of people who participate, but it will be even more fun with even more people!

Rarity posted:

thanks for all you do/have done towards making the games one such a special forums event!

and of course huge thank you to VG for the work that went into this year's thread. the unique photoshop treatment of the winners inspired me to go from 0 knowledge to... a tiny little more than 0 knowledge in PS to try and make the movie thread winners somewhat visually interesting.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ok I played both Hi-Fi Rush and Midnight suns yesterday because of this thread

Hi-Fi Rush is incredibly cool but oh man it’s very stressful to play, I might keep going a level at a time

Midnight Suns on the other hand is basically a game built entirely out of game things I love (card tactics, social element, one of those single player modes from some MK games where they give you a world to wander around very casually) and the writing is very solid. Plus a Runaways character! And the main guy sounds like Yusuke! My only complaint is that I don’t like Tony Stark’s VA performance, he sounds like Thomas Lennon doing an RDJ impersonation

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Veegy's photoshop game is indeed pretty epic at this point.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

of the 38 2023 games in the official Top 60, i've only played (either full or demo) 11 of them. which, considering my own top 50 was all 2023 games, means i still have a lot i didn't get to!

i'd participate but i barely go to the theater, so my list would be something like:
1) Spiderverse 2
2) Beau is Afraid
3) having When Evil Lurks described to me
4) No One Will Save You
5) Nimona
6) Cobweb
7) Renfield
8) Elemental
9) making fun of Hell House Origins
10) knowing that Justice League x RWBY exists
5 eleventy billion) VHS 85, gently caress that sucked

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks VG for putting this together and everyone who wrote a list, it was good reading and there were 8 games in the top 60 I've never heard of that look real cool

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Godzilla Minus One was a real good time

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

hatty posted:

Godzilla Minus One was a real good time

Yeah, I really enjoyed it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My movie top 10 is just Barbie 10 times over, once for each time I went to the cinema

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Is sandrock compelling enough that I'd like it even if I don't like city builders?

I enjoyed Harvestella despite not liking farming games because everything else was so strong, so I wonder if this is similar.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

Is sandrock compelling enough that I'd like it even if I don't like city builders?

I enjoyed Harvestella despite not liking farming games because everything else was so strong, so I wonder if this is similar.

My Time at Sandrock isn't a city builder. It's a lot closer in playstyle to something like Story of Seasons or Stardew Valley, but with taking on building projects rather than farming (there is some farming in the game, but it's pretty optional.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what if I like sand, but am only ambivalent about rocks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think due to watching it three times in one year, Shin Ultraman would have to be my movie of last year

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

My Time at Sandrock isn't a city builder. It's a lot closer in playstyle to something like Story of Seasons or Stardew Valley, but with taking on building projects rather than farming (there is some farming in the game, but it's pretty optional.)

Hm those are still not really the kind of games I'm usually interested in, but it does have me curious after seeing all the praise for it. I'll have to look into it more.

Pomeron
Oct 31, 2008
Missed this live but just caught up reading, thanks for all the work Veeg!

Played through The Roottrees are Dead and Hi-Fi Rush because of this thread, heavily enjoyed both although I think they would've still been just outside my top 10. And now adding Pentiment and Slay the Princess to the backlog as well!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

Hm those are still not really the kind of games I'm usually interested in, but it does have me curious after seeing all the praise for it. I'll have to look into it more.

Yeah, if you don't like those types of games you probably won't like this one either. There's a real possibility that this is the one that makes the genre click with you, but you know what you like.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Statistics post, 2023 edition

This year there were 262 votes (up from 217) casting a total of 13,744 points (up from 11,636).

37.1% of all points were awarded to games that didn't make it into the top 75, down from 38.2% last year.

The Most Generic Goon is Baiard, who's top 5 was 6 places from the aggregate.

Baiard posted:

5: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

4: Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

3: Octopath Traveler 2

2: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

1: Baldur's Gate 3

The top overperformers (someday I'm going to do something more interesting with this than "people like the games they like")
Baldur's Gate 3 (#1->#1) with 118 votes and an average rank of 2.8
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (#2->#2) with 101 votes and an average rank of 3.5
Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (#3->#3) with 59 votes and an average rank of 3.7
Cyberpunk 2077 (#4->#6) with 47 votes and an average rank of 3.3
Alan Wake 2 (#8->#10) with 33 votes and an average rank of 3.3

One overperformer of note is The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, which with 3 votes and an average rank of 1.3 outperformed last year's Perfect Tides (3 votes, 1.67 average). But it just wasn't enough to break #75 in this more crowded year.

The bottom underperformers (games that would have placed much higher is all listings were weighted equally)
Starfield with 4 votes and an average rank of 8.5
Metroid Prime Remastered (#61->#45) with 10 votes and an average rank of 6.9
Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo (74->#50) with 9 votes and an average rank of 7.1
The Roottrees Are Dead (#75->#51) with 9 votes and an average rank of 7.1
Super Mario RPG (2023) (#20->#17)with 22 votes and an average rank of 6.4
No More Heroes 3 with 4 votes and an average rank of 9.0
Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp (->#73) with 6 votes and an average rank of 8.0
Chants of Sennaar (->#46) with 10 votes and an average rank of 7.7
Dredge (#68->#35) with 11 votes and an average rank of 7.6
Dave the Diver (#32->#19) with 18 votes and an average rank of 7.3

THE BIG CHART: (gold = 5 years > pink > purple > black > grey = 1 year). Crimson is for Persona 5, a game that came out in 2016 that's been on this chart every year since GOTYT started in 2018.

yes I am aware that Hitman 3 and Hitman: World of Assassination are technically the same game and should be connected

I've got more data to share this week but it'll take a bit to format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many people played SA Game of the Year Baldur's Gate 3 on console

It’s me, hi
I’m the gamer, it’s me

Seriously, BG3 works pretty well on console! I watched a few LPs and streamers playing on desktops just after release, thinking there was no way it would work well on a console but it actually does. There’s a comical about of radial menus, especially as you hoard more and more potions and scrolls, but everything is laid out pretty well. My biggest issue is that the camera is really tricky sometimes, especially in tight indoor spaces and multi floor environments, but apparently that’s an issue on PC too.

Thanks everyone for the effort that goes into this thread every year, it’s always a cool and good time. And I’ve already played through Pentiment and Against the Storm based on recommendations here!!