Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CaptainCrunch posted:

Peppered with incorrect guesses about what you’ll say next or wrong conclusions that you then have to correct

Ahhhhh why do people do this

It's almost funny because it reveals more ignorance than ever it makes one appear insightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Reminds me of the quote "It's better to stay silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Ahhhhh why do people do this

It's almost funny because it reveals more ignorance than ever it makes one appear insightful.

It's because they aren't actually listening to you and don't care about what you have to say.

Same thing with the super talker. They don't care who's listening because they just want a sounding board for their stream of consciousness.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've known people who will ask you a question and then proceed to answer it for themselves, incorrectly, without even waiting for a response

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I had a boss who would get mad if you didn't maintain direct eye contact with him while he was talking, but he would point at stuff while delegating tasks, sometimes well on the other side of the shop.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I had a boss who would get mad if you didn't maintain direct eye contact with him while he was talking, but he would point at stuff while delegating tasks, sometimes well on the other side of the shop.

Haha that sounds intentional.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Guyver posted:

It's because they aren't actually listening to you and don't care about what you have to say.

Same thing with the super talker. They don't care who's listening because they just want a sounding board for their stream of consciousness.

In specifically my boss's case, I think it's because he feels out of his depth and wants to prove he's not... as much to himself as to anyone he's speaking to. Fair bit of neurosis in there, I think (if that's a term that's still used.)
He's not a bad guy. Just needs to learn how to be still and comfortable with silence.

We had a guy in the office who was a super talker. Thankfully he retired while we were WFH for covid. Which leads me to the next peeve. He won't stay gone! Old rear end dude keeps coming back to hang out and corner people with whatever BS story is filling his brains. When he's done with one person/group, he rewinds the tape and tells the next one the same story word-for-word.

I lock my office door when I hear his voice.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

What bothers me about it isn't the unevenness, it's the fact that it means that the inner sleeve is bunched up somewhere in the outer one. This creates a warm spot and might even make me sweat in that specific location, then I take the jacket off and I have a little wet spot and it's the loving worst.

Also sweat in general is a peeve for me. I have a huge head that leads to thermoregulation problems so I almost always under-dress for the weather (I say I like the cold more but I'm not sure I would without the thermoregulation problems) but I'd rather freeze to death than be inappropriately sweaty. Unfortunately I live in Florida for now so my life is just a whole-rear end shitshow about it, and I always run right up against dress code at work trying not to look sweaty in the summers. Ugh, hate it.

Try turning off dk mode

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I had a landlord do the nodding "Mmhmm, mmhmm, yeah" thing to me while I was accusing him of crimes.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't know what this """"10G"""" thing is that xfinity has been selling in its commercials with the annoying kids, but it reeks of corporate branding bullshit.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't know what this """"10G"""" thing is that xfinity has been selling in its commercials with the annoying kids, but it reeks of corporate branding bullshit.

Everything from "3G" on has been branding bullshit. It vaguely connects to real things but 95% of it is just branding.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Like most things these days, no doubt.

Movies like Meet The Parents are a personal peeve of mine in the sense that I can't stand to watch innocent people be wrongly accused of poo poo, even in a goofy comedy movie like that. It made me uncomfortable rather than making me laugh. But it's not to say MTP isn't a good movie; this is 100% a personality quirk.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate that stuff too. I hate a lot of rom coms because of that. Oh no the love interest happened to walk into the room right when the crazy ex was kissin the main character! Guess the relationship is over! God forbid anyone talk to each other lol

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Current weather-related pet peeve: heavy wet snow that weighs 20 goddamn pounds per shovel-load and also sticks to the shovel so you have to bang it off every minute or so.

On the other hand, it means I don't have to go to work today.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Movies like Meet The Parents are a personal peeve of mine in the sense that I can't stand to watch innocent people be wrongly accused of poo poo, even in a goofy comedy movie like that. It made me uncomfortable rather than making me laugh. But it's not to say MTP isn't a good movie; this is 100% a personality quirk.

Same! So many late 90s/early aughts comedies made me cringe more than they made me laugh. A very similar peeve of mine is the Main Character does something nice and innocent but from one specific angle it looks like they're being a pervert, Three's Company style.

Like the first scene in Something About Mary. Ben Stiller is looking at a bird out a window when suddenly the bird flies away but somehow that bird was positioned so it was blocking the view of his date changing through another window and now she thinks Ben is creeping on and her mom was helping her change so now Bens date and her mom think he's a pervert! Then he zips up his nuts and everyone forgets they think he's a sex criminal because it's just so awkward.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Fifty Farts posted:

On the other hand, it means I don't have to go to work today.

When I call into work to tell them I can't make it in due to weather and the boss is all "but you live in town!"

Fucker living in town or living 110 miles away doesn't mean poo poo if I can't make it out of my driveway that has snow piled up above my height at the end of it. Theoretically I could walk but no job is worth walking in -40F over.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Honestly, advertising on a podcast is the most effective way of making me instantly and actively dislike you and your product.
Occasionally there'll be podcasts advertising on other podcasts and hearing that lovely 30-60 second schpiel (that does you no favours) multiple times just guarantees that I'll never engage with you.

I'm not sure if there's a way to get critical role in podcast form without ads either.
They're thankfully rare due to how long the episodes are, but there was a good stretch where some other podcast was put into every ad slot for ages while I was renovating.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I currently get lots of ads during podcasts, telling me that I get ad free podcast listening if I use Amazon music, while I am using Amazon music, to listen to podcasts.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I've completely stopped listening to podcasts that do ad rolls. I can't loving stand it anymore. I'm fine kicking in to a patreon if, and only if, it provides ad free episodes. I think I gave up years ago when Last Podcast on the Left got millions of dollars to be a spotify exclusive and then somehow added *more* ad reads on top of the ads spotify started running over the show. I don't know how people can listen to it, its like 90% ads

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I think like that Curb kind of subverts this, in that Larry gets accused a lot of things that aren't really his fault but he always handles it in the worst way possible.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I've completely stopped listening to podcasts that do ad rolls.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'm a podcaster and we do exactly that. Ad free on the patreon. The ads suck but poo poo is expensive and we're expected to turn up at conventions, maintain hosting space, pay bills, all that poo poo. And the numbers show that the vast majority of our listeners prefer to put up with the two insert ads in an episode than kick us two bucks a month for ad free content and bonus episodes. People are cheap but routinely insist they are not, I guess that's the peeve?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I've completely stopped listening to podcasts that do ad rolls. I can't loving stand it anymore. I'm fine kicking in to a patreon if, and only if, it provides ad free episodes. I think I gave up years ago when Last Podcast on the Left got millions of dollars to be a spotify exclusive and then somehow added *more* ad reads on top of the ads spotify started running over the show. I don't know how people can listen to it, its like 90% ads

I was actually gonna say at least their ads can be funny.

I just skip it. Idk they’re all I listen too so whatev

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I don't mind an ad here and there :confused:

I get kind of annoyed when the podcast is a very established celebrity produced by a very established company who enters the podcast scene with millions of followers to begin with, and still has tons and tons and tons of ads.

I also get annoyed when podcasters hide all the good episodes behind a Patreon. I like extra stuff, but intentionally withholding the better product behind the paywall is obnoxious and I'm definitely not going to subscribe if they're doing that.

I'm also annoyed my podcast could and will never be so successful as to make revenue :(

other peeves:

Videos that disable the scrub bar. I don't know why, but this is a real hard point for me, I will not watch a video that I can't pause, manipulate the timeline, go back a few seconds, forward, etc. If that control is taken away, I don't care what the video is of. I don't know what setting enables this, but I've seen more and more people posting videos to Facebook that disable this >:(

Also: Videos that stop halfway to buffer or something? This mostly is an issue with Twitter videos. I'm not watching it. It's 2024 for fucks sake. If your 7 second video requires 5 seconds of buffering, I'm not watching it!

Also: This weird style of writing where all the normal rules of grammar are followed EXCEPT the first letter of the first word of the first sentence is not capitalized and the very final punctuation mark is omitted.

credburn has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Jan 15, 2024

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I don’t mind ads but I mind a LOT of ads. I’ve been listening to the Doughboys podcast after hearing about them on Blank Check (another podcast).

Blank Check has like. 2, maybe 3 minutes of ads per break. Doughboys has 5-6. I’m just mashing skip through the whole thing anyway, I don’t get what benefit a 5 minute ad break has over a 2 minute ad break.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Strange they’re called adds yet they subtract from the podcast listening experience.

Makes ya think

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I've been seeing an increase in ads for things that can't possibly be of interest to many of the listeners. I'm trying to listen to a podcast about 8-bit computers, why are you shilling $740 pocket knives?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dip Viscous posted:

I've been seeing an increase in ads for things that can't possibly be of interest to many of the listeners. I'm trying to listen to a podcast about 8-bit computers, why are you shilling $740 pocket knives?

The only thing I can think of is whales, like mobile gaming. To use your example, I have bought expensive, stupid knives- but even an original, WW2 Fairbairn Sykes knife was like 200 bucks. My utility knives are like 80-120. But podcast ads for anything are either saying it’s a quality product for cheaper than it should be (almost universally fabric items and usually totally poo poo, but like… think BudK to stick with the knife thing) or are saying it’s a quality product for 3-4x the cost of a high-end product while maybe being the same quality as my 80 dollar Ka-bar I use for hiking.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Dip Viscous posted:

Those are scammers, just like Raycon Earbuds. They're low-quality products that are deliberately overpriced so they only have to trick a few marks into buying to make the same profit they would selling hundreds at a fair price. This works because even in places that have functional consumer protection laws, a subpar product at a premium price almost never runs afoul of them so long as they technically work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

I also get annoyed when podcasters hide all the good episodes behind a Patreon. I like extra stuff, but intentionally withholding the better product behind the paywall is obnoxious and I'm definitely not going to subscribe if they're doing that.
I find it actively off-putting when a podcast says there's a backlog of 200 episodes available on patreon. Like, I'm already way behind on a bunch of podcasts I'm trying to catch up with, and you're telling me I could pay money to make that problem worse?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

that poo poo comes in clutch when you're working a boring job and have nothing but time to listen while you work.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CelticPredator posted:

that poo poo comes in clutch when you're working a boring job and have nothing but time to listen while you work.

My peeve is that I'm training a new guy at work who absolutely sucks at our very easy job, so I can't just zone out and listen to podcasts and books. It's actually easier working solo, and I miss it so much.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CelticPredator posted:

I had to help with document control at the end of a project once and podcasts were the only thing stopping me from losing my mind. I don’t know why they help with tedious work more than music does but they absolutely do.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Its like you’re having a conversation in your head and that’s more personal and interesting then a song you’ve heard many times.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

With podcasts I don't have to suppress my urge to dance and sing in public

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
When you make negative assumptions about the future and people accuse you of being a Cassandra. The whole point is that she was right.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Another peeve: People’s utter inability to gently caress off.
Park at the far end of a nearly empty parking lot to enjoy my lunch in peace. 20 seconds later guy rolls up, parks next to me. Fires up a cig and blasting music. gently caress off, man.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I hate when a fried-food place packs their takeout orders in generic clamshell containers. Those onion rings have already steamed themselves into a soggy pile of poo poo on your counter before I arrived. We figured this out ages ago!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Can't recall for sure but I think someone in this thread mentioned movies & different aspect ratios with/without the black horizontal bars. I absolutely get that annoyance & my perfect example is Christopher Nolan's Interstellar. I've timestamped a few spots where (at least on my 40" LCD) it changes from bars to no bars. I have no idea why Nolan decided to do this, but once you notice it's impossible to ignore.

Timestamps:
Early on around 3:03 to 3:05
Flat tire spot, 6:29-8:42 - all full screen, no black bars until...
8:43-13:57 - back to full screen/no bars

There's a few more spots & I know this likely isn't the only movie that does this but it can definitely be jarring once you pick up on it. I really wonder why Nolan chose that route versus filming with/without the bars all the way through. Thematically it didn't seem to make sense, it just ended up being a distraction at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re changing from film format to IMAX format. It rules.