Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Is it actually a problem that Teodor isn't a party organizer for Microsoft? I guess a focussed, motivated T is less of a clear negative for the world than say Lyle or Pat with a mission but with a million bucks and a high-pressure job doing the kind of bullshit he's shown any interest or talent in he'd still be the same anxious little dork convinced he's blowing his chance to be a great artist who bangs celebrities, still lacking any real spark.of greatness beyond the occasional meal he spent 12 hours cooking.

He's never really doing without anything, his poverty manifests in the form of 'whoops I forgot to do the one afternoon of work I need to pay rent this month, again' contrasted to say Lyle who's always scraping by on grindingly awful minimum-wage food service rather than the idle fantasy version. He's just existentially dissatisfied in a way nothing real can fulfill and disinterested in the rewards sustained effort can offer. Holding down a job does suck, why do it if it can't pay for anything you need

there’s a version of Teodor that has a steady coding job or engineering or middle-management job, or a decent retail gig at like Costco or an Apple Store or whatever, and a 401k and is just as lonely and unhappy and unfulfilled as broke Teodor is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

SacrificialGoat posted:

I don't think it's an accident that Onstad's middle name is Todd.

If it was that would be very funny. I would love the story of how his parents accidentally gave him the middle name Todd.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Android Blues posted:

This is funny and a great plot engine, but it's also reflective of an anxiety that almost all the characters share in one way or another. Ray is just a more fantastical version of the story, the person for whom all these scattershot gigs actually pay off, living in the world where the thing he paid attention to for three months in 2012 actually did make him rich. Teodor is the grounded version where he halfway does a thing, fails or backs out of it, then goes back to looking for the next thing that can pay the bills for a little bit.
I mean hell I have that anxiety and I'm actually doing fine at my own reasonably-stable-if-not-super-high-paid job so I Get It.

Another factor is that Ray actually sold his soul, but his drug-addicted squirrel homie told him how to get out of Hell.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's funny how the only already wealthy character sold his soul.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Being in trouble is a fake idea

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Todd" isn't a real middle name.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

havent been on the new strips, did teodor canonically fumble penny? seemed like he got a happy ending in 2014

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

withak posted:

"Todd" isn't a real middle name.

It's short for TODD!!! TODD!!!!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, I mean, I think all of these are somewhere around right. Teodor isn't a bad guy, the problems that keep him in his rut are just mundane and un-dramatic. He can't concentrate on one thing for very long and he's afraid of committing to a career because he has a lingering sense that he's "meant" to do something creative, but lacks the drive to follow through on that ambition either because, again, he can't concentrate on one thing for very long.

One of the recurring motifs in Achewood for most of its run is the characters findings harebrained gigs that might be able to lift them out of poverty without having to work a 9 - 5, then ditching or forgetting about those gigs after they lose their sparkle. It's almost like the default Achewood plotline - a character finds a way to make money that seems funny or interesting instead of soul-crushing, does it for a little bit, then realises it isn't viable or gets bored of it or has to talk to the KKK on the phone.

This is funny and a great plot engine, but it's also reflective of an anxiety that almost all the characters share in one way or another. Ray is just a more fantastical version of the story, the person for whom all these scattershot gigs actually pay off, living in the world where the thing he paid attention to for three months in 2012 actually did make him rich. Teodor is the grounded version where he halfway does a thing, fails or backs out of it, then goes back to looking for the next thing that can pay the bills for a little bit.

Ray's presence in the cast I think does a lot to keep that recurring aspect of the comic from getting tiring or overly depressing like that kind of thing does in a lot of other series, since theoretically his nigh infinite money supply is always a potential solution to the rest of the cast's financial woes so it never gets too serious

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

drrockso20 posted:

his nigh infinite money supply is always a potential solution to the rest of the cast's financial woes so it never gets too serious

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

panko posted:

havent been on the new strips, did teodor canonically fumble penny? seemed like he got a happy ending in 2014

Penny, Polly, and Molly are all in the Onstad vault, and will be released never. Tina's characterization of "mean brassy diva" is enough to get her into the occasional arc like this one.

Ultra Peanut is in the vault too but everyone agrees that's okay and good actually.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Molly showed up in one of the 12 Days of Achewood strips. But she did not seem long for the relationship.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Divorced Beef

Venom Beef

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

panko posted:

He seems too immature for a relationship. This entry from his blog shows him fumbling another girl from Ray's parties who was interested in him. Notice how it's all his own insecurities and self projections that drives him off. He becomes totally judgmental and has a completely uncharitable read on these other people just because he feels out of his element.

Teodor's Blog posted:

How do I not see these things?

I met Shannon at Grass last night, that new nightclub with the sod floor and eleven-dollar drinks. She looked good, and she already had a cocktail, so I got an Amstel from the bar and we sat in a quietish corner to talk. She's training for a marathon, she likes that convertible Jaguar, she's looking for a bigger place, she's not much for cooking, etc. She looked great, in some new jeans and a black turtleneck sweater with fresh running shoes. I had on a Livestrong jersey and olive cargo shorts with flipflops, playing it upscale casual. Not that it mattered. All she could talk about was her law career plans and different countries she had visited that I had not visited, like France.

About two and a half Amstels in (I remember looking at the meniscus on #3 and thinking HELP) a few of her friends showed up, probably on cue. It wasn't any of her friends from Ray's, it was a bunch of Jennifer Aniston clones and even a couple guys in blue work shirts and loosened ties. It slowly dawned on me that I had no business there, particularly when the guys shook my hand with those no-contact eyes that say "I already forgot you." I went to the can, drained my beer, tipped the attendant a buck, and ducked through a thick bar crowd on my way out. My last glance was of her completely immersed in her Banana Republic set, giggling and looking healthy.

I shuffled pretty despondently over to Ray's, pitying myself for being the object of a rich girl's slumming. I was pretty sour, so I just hung out in the kitchen and had some Cookie Crisp. Later I went into the living room and tried to read a coffee table book about limousines, but just got depressed and went home.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

He definitely sucks there but I also get it. He feels deeply inadequate due to his poverty and feels people in a higher economic stratum could never respect him. He's bitter about it, but it comes from a place of, "Teodor cannot afford to go to France and he thinks that makes him some kind of terrible little garbage guy in this woman's eyes."

It's really good character writing, apart from anything else. Despite the fact that he's a funny little bear man it's deeply human.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Android Blues posted:

He feels deeply inadequate due to his poverty and feels people in a higher economic stratum could never respect him.

so he’s nice pete without the murder then

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Like I said Teodor needs therapy more than anyone in the main cast, like sure Roast Beef has the more powerful depression but his is the loud and obvious kind, Teodor's is the quiet and insidious kind that winds up culminating in doing something horrible that puts you on the Evening News

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

ullerrm posted:

so he’s nice pete without the murder then

I mean, his thing is not that he hates these people. He wants to be like them, can't be, and consoles himself by insinuating that they're shallow and he's smart. But fundamentally in this blog he's painfully image-conscious and trying his best to fit in, then convinces himself that he isn't fitting in and runs away. The bitterness is just him washing down the self-loathing. I think it's more sad than anything.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Android Blues posted:

It's really good character writing, apart from anything else. Despite the fact that he's a funny little bear man it's deeply human.

I don't really want to go too hard in on Teodor here since it's a blog from years ago so maybe he's changed. I agree that it is a nicely written character piece where you're supposed to question the author and see through his self-justifications and bullshit. If it were written today, it may seem incel-y, but Teodor at least doesn't have that seething entitlement and seems mostly held back by self-loathing if anything. Like I said, I think it's just an immaturity thing and hopefully he grows up and doesn't have to do this exhausting mental calculus of status and face every time he comes across someone with different life experiences.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I did not like the Penny arc and I am glad it did not (visibly) culminate in a Canon "happy ending" for Téodor because I think we should not romantice/ normalize young dudes dithering through life until the manic pixie girl of their dreams waltzes in and makes everything right. (The other big example is Scott Pilgrim)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i legit had no idea how many achewood fans were six sigma adherents until this teodor discussion

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Zefiel posted:

I did not like the Penny arc and I am glad it did not (visibly) culminate in a Canon "happy ending" for Téodor because I think we should not romantice/ normalize young dudes dithering through life until the manic pixie girl of their dreams waltzes in and makes everything right. (The other big example is Scott Pilgrim)

this is definitely true and even at the time the story rang extraordinarily hollow, especially as a diminishing return after the already suspect cornelius finds love arc, but also I think a lot of posters itt are projecting personal baggage on teodor

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Stringent posted:

i legit had no idea how many achewood fans were six sigma adherents until this teodor discussion

That's that business cult that tells c-suites to run their companies like an assembly line at a Motorola plant where all the workers have pretty bad lives, right?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Strange Cares posted:

That's that business cult that tells c-suites to run their companies like an assembly line at a Motorola plant where all the workers have pretty bad lives, right?

that's the one i was thinking of yeah

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

panko posted:

this is definitely true and even at the time the story rang extraordinarily hollow, especially as a diminishing return after the already suspect cornelius finds love arc, but also I think a lot of posters itt are projecting personal baggage on teodor
The point where I figured at least one of 'Onstad' or 'Teodor' were inveterate corny douchebags about this stuff was "She has to think. That's her sustenance."

Great insight, Mr. Orezcu

But hey! We're pretty much back to the original form at this point. Weekly format seems to be treating the gentleman well, though I wonder how well this is gonna work if he runs out of his pre-pack backlog.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wait, Six Sigma is real and NOT a parody thing from 30 Rock? :psyduck:

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Wait, Six Sigma is real and NOT a parody thing from 30 Rock? :psyduck:

Nope, very much a real thing and heavily associated with GE of Jack Welch’s time as well - which is part of the joke.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I’ve read the Wikipedia page for six sigma now and reread the past two pages and I gotta say, you nailed it, good slam.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Zefiel posted:

how to tell someone you haven't read Scott Pilgrim

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Deathlove posted:

Molly showed up in one of the 12 Days of Achewood strips. But she did not seem long for the relationship.

I really, really, really don't want to read a 'Roast Beef and Molly get divorced" arc. That would just be so sad.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Pershing posted:

I really, really, really don't want to read a 'Roast Beef and Molly get divorced" arc. That would just be so sad.

Me neither, but that strip over Christmas does make it seem like its circling the drain :(

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Chris wearing a shirt that says "IM THE GUY WHO'S DIVORCED/PLUS I GOT DEPRESSION"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Zefiel posted:

(The other big example is Scott Pilgrim)

lol nope

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My teens were roast beef, my twenties were Teodore, and my 30’s are Ray.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MisterBear posted:

Nope, very much a real thing and heavily associated with GE of Jack Welch’s time as well - which is part of the joke.

Strange Cares posted:

I’ve read the Wikipedia page for six sigma now and reread the past two pages and I gotta say, you nailed it, good slam.

"Formal Six Sigma programs adopt an elite ranking terminology similar to martial arts systems like judo to define a hierarchy (and career path) that spans business functions and levels."

:psyduck:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Six Sigma is a decent set of principles that got turned into basically self parody by the people that imploded GE and the general 80’s corporate cult machine.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Rand Brittain posted:

how to tell someone you haven't read Scott Pilgrim

The "Judas Priest Friday" achewood makes a cameo. :colbert:

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

"Formal Six Sigma programs adopt an elite ranking terminology similar to martial arts systems like judo to define a hierarchy (and career path) that spans business functions and levels."

:psyduck:

It is some absolute clown shoes stuff

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

moot the hopple posted:

Me neither, but that strip over Christmas does make it seem like its circling the drain :(

it's been circling the drain from the jump, if the blogs are anything to go by

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My teens were roast beef, my twenties were Teodore, and my 30’s are Ray.

same, and my 40s have seen me become the guy whose peter gets sucked by Teodor in the back of that van

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I chose to forget the High School arc like it never happened and hope Onstad never gets to such dark place in his life again