Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Disco Pope posted:

I really sincerely don't get how people are getting like 150hrs out of this. Thourough playthroughs (although I skip any dialogue that isn't new to me now) take 60 if I really eek them out. I'm actually envious, since I love this game and wish there was more of it. Hell, I think its a little too short, if anything!

I spend an inordinate amount of time on inventory management, because I'm both a kleptomaniac and hate seeing a mess in an inventory window.

Also being excessively completionist reminded me that it's possible to hit level 10 before the final battle in act 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is there any way of making Astarion useful in his default class short of outright respeccing him? I gave him two fancy daggers but rogues seem extremely limited especially since they don't get the double attack at level 4, and since I'm already playing as Bard I already have a lockpick and traps guy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mycot posted:

Is there any way of making Astarion useful in his default class short of outright respeccing him? I gave him two fancy daggers but rogues seem extremely limited especially since they don't get the double attack at level 4, and since I'm already playing as Bard I already have a lockpick and traps guy.
I remade him into a Bard playing as Rogue Tav. Are you looking to stay in somewhat-sensible roleplaying, or do you just want to min-max?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Rogues are just kind of ok at combat for the most part with the subclasses available and without the stat requirement to multiclass there’s no incentive not to really

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

I really sincerely don't get how people are getting like 150hrs out of this. Thourough playthroughs (although I skip any dialogue that isn't new to me now) take 60 if I really eek them out. I'm actually envious, since I love this game and wish there was more of it. Hell, I think its a little too short, if anything!

Do you mash through the dialogue or listen to the voice acting? That could contribute a fair amount of time I'm sure

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

mycot posted:

I had him as straight up rogue to level 12, he was pretty good. At first went with arcane trickster subclass since that was "recommended" by the game, but the spells seemed very limited in utility so I respecced him to assassin instead. Also gave him the alert feat and I had some good gear for him since I did literally every quest and area and thing I could find and looted everything. My Lae'zel (straight up fighter, battle master spec) also had alert, so those two would usually go before the enemy, Lae'zel would run up to the bad guys and start chopping after which Astarion could sneak attack and whatnot all day long.

Normal difficulty mind you and yeah he'd do more damage as monk/bard/whatever as everyone is saying, but it was fine. Rogues get some excellent gear around level 4-5 in act 1 iirc

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Disco Pope posted:

I attacked the game over my holidays after parking a pally in act 3 with like 90 hours played. I had another character parked at the end of act 1 and played them like a job over Christmas and that run took about 80 hours all up. I had a lot of knowledge for act 2 and some of 3 tho.

I'm at the start of act 3 now on my durge and this run has been extremely short by comparison. I blasted through things I wanted to do and skipped some other stuff. Being mean or killing people also reduces playtime. Act 2 is really short when you kill the moon lady and turn everyone into zombies

I reckon if I went back to my pally first ever run the complete time would be about 100-110 hours by the time I got it to the end. I did everything blind with no guides and read all the books etc. it's a lot of game.

mycot posted:

Make him into my PC. Take champion fighter to second attack after getting rogue thief 4 (edited, you want the feat for offhand to do full damage). Take two weapon fighting and dual wielder. Same melee rogue gameplay style but you have boatloads of attacks, another full action when you want it and free disengages/dashes every turn for nimble hijinks, high armour without a shield, high crit... It's the most fun I've had with a melee character because every turn is just options galore.

E: I made Astarion swords bard in this run too. He was always on the team and worked magnificently with my rogue/fighter PC to mop the floor with everything in melee.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 15, 2024

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mycot posted:

dual wield hand crossbows and give him sharpshooter. He should hit fairly hard with that between that and his sneak attacks. Class can be whatever of the rogue specs.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
So when does the book of necromancy become useable? Is it possible to blow by without realizing?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
man why was raphael so scared of yurgir? that fat chump aint nothing once you bottleneck his boys with good ol hunger of hadar

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

mycot posted:

Rogues have access to consistent large damage novas, as long as you can Sneak Attack. Dual wielding is okay, but I would say only Thief is really good at it due to getting an extra bonus action which makes up for not getting +DEX to attacks (Which you can only get by speccing into Ranger, Fighter, or specifically Swords Bard.)

Realistically, if you think Astarion's not pulling his weight in battle you're either hyper, hyper optimized or you're not clicking the Sneak Attack buttons, where most of Astarion's damage lives.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Remember that Astarion can bite people as a bonus every turn. It's not the most powerful attack but it's 100% and you should always have him happy buffed.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

So when does the book of necromancy become useable? Is it possible to blow by without realizing?

You get some more information once you reach the mage tower in act 3. The librarian there mentions another necromancy book in the vault, and if you break in and have the person who read the first book read that too, they get several effects out of it.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

man why was raphael so scared of yurgir? that fat chump aint nothing once you bottleneck his boys with good ol hunger of hadar

Raphael was definitely not afraid. He was just being theatrical as part of his wheeling and dealing process. Raph just likes having one over on another devil that he can use as muscle, and you helped him to retrieve one that wasn't doing anything useful at the time.

Straight class rogue is fine. Not as powerful as straight class monk or paladin or fighter, but it'll get the job done. Just remember if you go with the assassin subclass to actually start fights by having the rogue make an attack, otherwise you're ignoring one of the main subclass features and leaving damage on the floor.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 15, 2024

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Gloomstalker/Assassin is also ludicrous. Especially if you feed him enough worms that he does extra damage to low HP enemies.

I usually do 8 Gloomstalker/4 Assassin so you get 2 attacks and don’t miss any feats, but I’m sure there’s some theory-crafted combo that’s more effective.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Straight class rogue is balanced around getting their sneak attack bonus every turn, which requires some careful play to make it happen. At level twelve that's 6d6 extra damage each round. The sneak attack is their equivalent of an extra attack. They're fine as long as you make sure he gets that sneak attack in (reliable methods are to hide before attacking or attack someone threatened by an ally).

Where that falls behind is that it's equivalent to what a great weapon fighter is probably putting out per attack at that level, so you're not going rogue for damage dealing if you're trying to optimize. You're going rogue for

1) skill proficiencies and expertise (traps, persuasion)

2) assassin critical hits on surprised enemies (pair with gloom stalker and fighter for synergy!)

3) thief extra bonus action

Having an extra bonus action is very useful for a build that can attack with a bonus action. Dual wielders are the tip of the ice berg: throwbarians can do another enraged throw and monks can do another Flurry of blows (which itself is two punches). A lot of builds pick up 3 or 4 random levels for thief just for that.

In my current honor mode plan, three of the builds take levels of rogue (gloomstalker assassin, throwbarian thief, open hand thief) because of how powerful it is.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 15, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I have arcane trickster Astarion at the moment and it's fine if not optimal. I've got him loaded up with critical gear and the risky ring and it's very common to dual wield crit someone for 60+ damage. Then he's got shield, blur and mirror image to stack on top of evasion and uncanny dodge making him pretty tanky, plus his expertise in skills.

e/ I was understating his damage here, the damage potential on a dual wield melee crit is up at ~120 and I'm not maxed out yet.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 15, 2024

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you just stick to a class path and never really reclass or retool, you can probably shave off like 30 hours of playtime minimum

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Morrow posted:

Straight class rogue is balanced around getting their sneak attack bonus every turn, which requires some careful play to make it happen.

You can also just give Astarion the risky ring and then he can always sneak attack. Contrary to the name it's not actually that risky for him to use if you're having him sit in the back with ranged weapons anyways. Or just use his bonus actions to disengag/hide after striking

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tae posted:

If you just stick to a class path and never really reclass or retool, you can probably shave off like 30 hours of playtime minimum

Playing around with max level builds once you get access to the best magic items in the game is probably some of the most fun gameplay in bg3 and I would never pass it up

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ginette Reno posted:

You can also just give Astarion the risky ring and then he can always sneak attack. Contrary to the name it's not actually that risky for him to use if you're having him sit in the back with ranged weapons anyways. Or just use his bonus actions to disengag/hide after striking

The risk isn't even on attack rolls it's on save DC where a rogue takes half damage most of the time anyway. It's also easy to mitigate charm spells with another item if you are playing an aggro frontline rogue with high AC. Otherwise yeah just disappear they can't cast at things that aren't visible.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ginette Reno posted:

Also if you go straight class rogue thief and have 2 bonus actions you can sneak attack, offhand attack, and hide in the same turn, so you get sneak attack on your next turn. That is if you're using hand crossbows, like you probably should be on a thief Astarion.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic posted:

lol I just had the exact same bug in the same spot

Bartender in the Guildhall has BeamNG face too.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Fane is the best character. He has the most tie-in to the overarching plot, by far.

A bit like durge for BG3 but more so

Ok. Played through the prologue and a few hours of beginning. It's system is very BG3 like so that's nice. My question is how does the how skill/abilities system work. There's no tutorial for it. Is it just that the abilities are passives and you can learn skills from books if you have the requirements?

I do miss jumping. No jumping sucks

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 15, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Do your civic duty and report these Pinocchio character models

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Phlegmish posted:

Do your civic duty and report these Pinocchio character models

Only registered members can see post attachments!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a guide somewhere to what causes paladins of a given oath to break their oaths? My Wyll is an Oath of Devotion/Warlock combo and apparently just broke his oath from killing absolute cultists which on one hand yes it was unprovoked as I'm trying to whittle down the amount guarding moonrise but on the other hand they're Absolute cultists.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://twitter.com/yaaayhem/status/1746542123422466189

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a guide somewhere to what causes paladins of a given oath to break their oaths? My Wyll is an Oath of Devotion/Warlock combo and apparently just broke his oath from killing absolute cultists which on one hand yes it was unprovoked as I'm trying to whittle down the amount guarding moonrise but on the other hand they're Absolute cultists.

As far as every specific instance, no. There are general guidelines per oath:

Oath of the Ancients: Killing a non-aggressive animal, raising the dead, or choosing an "Attack" dialogue option when more peaceful options are available.
Oath of Devotion: Attacking a non-hostile creature, refusing to defend someone who is obviously in need of aid, or deceiving your enemies (e.g. negotiating a peaceful resolution and then attacking anyway).
Oath of Vengeance: Convincing someone not to take their revenge on their transgressor, letting the guilty go without punishment, betraying those who were in need of vengeance and siding with their oppressor.

Ancients/Devotion also both seem to share oathbreaker criteria by cheapshotting non-hostile entities, no clue about Vengeance.

As far as your instance goes, it seemed to violate devotion's Attacking a non-hostile creature principle. Even if the non-hostile entity is a slave-driving rear end in a top hat, you need the other side to shoot first, so to speak.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd like to believe they then proceeded to magesplain the entirety of githyanki history to date with a roll like that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

As a noble paladin of the ancients I can advise you that you will never be penalised for verbally goading enemies into attacking you and therefore rules lawyering your way to murder.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

JBP posted:

As a noble paladin of the ancients I can advise you that you will never be penalised for verbally goading enemies into attacking you and therefore rules lawyering your way to murder.

:same: but Harrier Durge Bois the Oathbreaker

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

JBP posted:

As the resident paladin of the two person coop I'm doing I just get my partner to take the heat lol. Knock on wood haven't broken the oafh yet. Granted I'm sure vengeance is easier to keep though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you don't get involved in the fight does that avoid it, then? I killed the guards in the Moonrise basement without a problem, shoved a guy into the river, convinced another to jump in the river, and it was only after I got into a fight and Wyll killed one of them that he broke his oath. I considered going oathbreaker but giving +4 to attack rolls with his channel oath in Devotion is just so good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I feel like the end of act 2 is strangely rough mechanically, had to repeat a fight due to a known issue and balance just seems right off.

The opening of act 3 has been good though, I switched back to Warlock from Warlock/sorcerer, just mechanically a bit cleaner and I get Hunger of Hadar and to TK fools. Also remembered I could speak to dead in time for the investigation mission(s). And I respeced Shadow heart and Astarion and they're performing much better.

Bit confused though, at the city gate there's the robot guard that says it's arresting me for The Absolute. When I opt to fight my party (Astarion, Shadowheart and Karlach) all disapproved, did I miss something? I thought Astarion and Karlach would always want to preserve their liberty?

But whatever I just platformed around.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BizarroAzrael posted:

Bit confused though, at the city gate there's the robot guard that says it's arresting me for The Absolute. When I opt to fight my party (Astarion, Shadowheart and Karlach) all disapproved, did I miss something? I thought Astarion and Karlach would always want to preserve their liberty?

I took it that they'd prefer to remain incognito for more than five minutes and further to this that Karlach wouldn't appreciate murdering all the guards.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In act 2 I couldn't help but notice that Balthazar has a specific trait that makes him immune to control effects. Ketheric and Avatar of Myrkul do not have this trait, instead relying on the fact that they're higher level than you can possibly be at that point in the game. So, if you happen to use a mod that gets you more XP than usual, what happens if you hit one of those two with an oathbreaker's Control Undead ability? Just instantly win the fight?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you don't get involved in the fight does that avoid it, then? I killed the guards in the Moonrise basement without a problem, shoved a guy into the river, convinced another to jump in the river, and it was only after I got into a fight and Wyll killed one of them that he broke his oath. I considered going oathbreaker but giving +4 to attack rolls with his channel oath in Devotion is just so good.

I think so. I'm playing an Oath of the Ancients paladin and in the Moonrise Towers prison, I was fine to snipe the scrying eyes but couldn't touch a guard. So I sent my paladin to the rafters, preparing to toss Wulbren a hammer, while my other three ambushed the guard at the end of the hall, and my oath remained intact.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

how? how how how do I keep finding new stuff? 600 hours in this game and I just found the hidden basement button after getting the ring from the top of the wizard tower. I've never gone to the basement before...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Shard posted:

how? how how how do I keep finding new stuff? 600 hours in this game and I just found the hidden basement button after getting the ring from the top of the wizard tower. I've never gone to the basement before...

Playing coop with my partner and we went into the toll house in act one. Noticed the chairs in the basement looked weird and said hey go sit on that other chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Disco Pope posted:

I sank a ton of time into looking through stuff in the world. If you go from mission to mission you can probably get done faster, but I'm addicted to finding and reading every scrap and then trying to organize them all. There are a ton of little story-telling elements in the different locations that aren't game critical or really do anything, but if you are spending time looking around and reading through stuff you can uncover all kinds of fragments of history, personal stories, etc.