Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
I assumed the gay figure skater, myself.

e: oh come on what the hell was that page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Panfilo posted:

:smug: "Pffft, leftoids are so ignorant, they need to read up on history."
*reads history*
":byodood:" Wait no not like that! "

Exhibit B: https://bsky.app/profile/helenkennedy.bsky.social/post/3kixigj7l7f2h

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

:lol:

Jesus loving Christ, they are so drat ignorant. :allears:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Which Yuri, the time traveling psychic Yuri or first spaceman Yuri? Because there's a lot of Yuris.

It's the first one, right? Gotta be.

Japanese Sapphic Media incinerated the White House.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Trump just attacked Vivek and called him "not MAGA." Bromance... OVER

https://twitter.com/VivekGRamaswamy/status/1746360780436427244?s=20

:sad:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

...! posted:

Trump just attacked Vivek and called him "not MAGA." Bromance... OVER

https://twitter.com/VivekGRamaswamy/status/1746360780436427244?s=20

:sad:

I mean, we all knew that was coming, right?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

That's not really prediction though, that's 'taking things that exist at the time the movie was made and exaggerating them'. Trump has been talking about running for President since 1987, well before the movie came out, and the wrestler president was probably based more on Jessie "The Body" Ventura's stint as governor of Minnesota than Trump predictions anyway. Branded bottled water has been around in the US since the 1970s and has gotten more popular over time. Dealing with giant piles of garbage has been a problem for a long time, the first paper about the Great Pacific Trash patch came out in 1988. Big box stores getting bigger was current a decade before the movie came out. Screens within screens of TVs was a common idea at the time, and actually looks more like a failed prediction now, since 'giant wall of TVs' seems to be losing out to 'individual devices' for a lot of people, as does the number of 'kicked in the balls' shows since that specific phenomenon died off.

I don't think 'these things that are here now will be around in the future and current trends will continue in an exaggerated way' is really much of a prophecy. It's like saying the Simpsons predicted the Trump presidency out of the blue, when they were really just making fun of Trump's decades of talking about running for president.

Fair enough. I can't argue with that summation.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Panfilo posted:

*reads history*
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1746548431391281492?t=nSegcERe6r6wA2DppK013A&s=19

It's ironic that for being so obsessed with the past conservatives are very resistant to actually studying it like they expect others to. But I guess to them, history is a Solved Problem, it already happened, no point in reinventing the wheel. Anybody trying to study it gets seen as Interlopers trying to re interpret, re write, and revise what to them actually happened.

I mean, also, they don't want to study history, they want to study MAGA history, where the United States was a shining city on a hill formed by christians who were just looking out for the best interest of their slavesfree workers who lived on the land and they provided housing for until all the dirty $slur_of_the_weeks hosed it all up.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

*reads history*
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1746548431391281492?t=nSegcERe6r6wA2DppK013A&s=19

It's ironic that for being so obsessed with the past conservatives are very resistant to actually studying it like they expect others to. But I guess to them, history is a Solved Problem, it already happened, no point in reinventing the wheel. Anybody trying to study it gets seen as Interlopers trying to re interpret, re write, and revise what to them actually happened.
Any source of objective fact that they don't like is an invalid source. When they play this game with you, the best move is to ask them precisely what sources on whatever topic at hand can be trusted, then point out that all of those sources just so happen to agree with what they want to believe and just so happen to stop being credible the instant they agree with something they don't want to believe, why gosh it's almost like what they want to believe is the primary way of how they decide the truth. This might gently caress with their brains a little bit before they remember the truth and what they want to believe naturally align like that because they are a Good Person (the part that's so irrational basically everyone knows not to use it in an argument) and go about their day.

(this is all assuming they can even point to their echo chambers at all for sources, sometimes it ends right there because they ain't got poo poo anywhere to back them up)

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 15, 2024

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Neito posted:

I mean, also, they don't want to study history, they want to study MAGA history, where the United States was a shining city on a hill formed by christians who were just looking out for the best interest of their slavesfree workers who lived on the land and they provided housing for until all the dirty $slur_of_the_weeks hosed it all up.

I think the closest they get to this is writing 'non fiction' books about the founding fathers, there's a bunch for instance that claim how Jefferson never messed with Sally Hemmings, instead pinning it on his brother.

The Islamic Shock posted:

Any source of objective fact that they don't like is an invalid source. When they play this game with you, the best move is to ask them precisely what sources on whatever topic at hand can be trusted, then point out that all of those sources just so happen to agree with what they want to believe and just so happen to stop being credible the instant they agree with something they don't want to believe, why gosh it's almost like what they want to believe is the primary way of how they decide the truth. This might gently caress with their brains a little bit before they remember the truth and what they want to believe naturally align like that because they are a Good Person (the part that's so irrational basically everyone knows not to use it in an argument) and go about their day.

(this is all assuming they can even point to their echo chambers at all for sources, sometimes it ends right there because they ain't got poo poo anywhere to back them up)
The problem here is that they can bullshit themselves into believing they have 100% accuracy in determining factual sources. The sources agree with them because they magically know the exact correct source. It's a circular argument. Covid 19 was a perfect example, suddenly they were all immunologists.

Right wing ideology puts a lot of credence in "trust your gut".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Islamic Shock posted:

Any source of objective fact that they don't like is an invalid source.

See also "fake news". I had a brief discussion with a crazy lady who used that term and, when I asked her for an example, she said "all of it". I don't know if she included FOX, OAN or NEWSMAX in there because we didn't get that far but I was all "give me like one story", which shouldn't be tough.

"Everything. All of it!" which is pretty convenient.

That's why they (claim to) like the bible so much. You can make that fucker say pretty much anything you want.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

That's why they (claim to) like the bible so much. You can make that fucker say pretty much anything you want.

Yeah, I'm a Christian and these people have always driven me nuts because they twist certain verses to justify hating and persecuting certain groups of people.

Jesus literally says (paraphrasing) "Love everyone. Judge no one. Work on fixing your own sin, don't go after anyone else because of theirs. You're just as much of a sinner as anyone else. If you do treat someone harshly because of their sin, God will treat you exactly as harshly. And you do not want to experience that."

Later, Paul says (paraphrasing again) "If you call anyone a sinner, you're implying that you're not. God has repeatedly and explicitly said that all sins are equal and that literally everyone sins. So don't be a loving hypocrite or you're in for some rough times."

If you go back and look at the history of certain denominations (like Southern Baptists) you'll see that they were founded specifically because certain people felt that their hatred and prejudice was more important than following the Bible to the letter. So they created a denomination that allows them to purposely interpret the Bible in a way that justifies their discrimination.

Fortunately there are a lot of liberal denominations who prioritize loving everyone and opposing the hateful denominations. But the hateful denominations are the extremely loud ones, thus they get all the attention.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

See also "fake news". I had a brief discussion with a crazy lady who used that term and, when I asked her for an example, she said "all of it". I don't know if she included FOX, OAN or NEWSMAX in there because we didn't get that far but I was all "give me like one story", which shouldn't be tough.

"Everything. All of it!" which is pretty convenient.

Now I kinda want to get on a phone call with one of these people, get to this point in the conversation, record an automatic reply of "okay sure give me one story", walk away and check my phone later to see how long it took them to work it out. They loving hate being pinned down on any one bullshit point and I can probably get a good half an hour of whataboutism out of it

Edit:

...! posted:

If you go back and look at the history of certain denominations (like Southern Baptists) you'll see that they were founded specifically because certain people felt that their hatred and prejudice was more important than following the Bible to the letter. So they created a denomination that allows them to purposely interpret the Bible in a way that justifies their discrimination.
My Baptist pastor is all about love and tolerating atheists and all that good poo poo because he interprets every word of the Bible literally and is pretty serious about that so his Jesus is hippie Jesus

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 16, 2024

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

That's not really prediction though, that's 'taking things that exist at the time the movie was made and exaggerating them'. Trump has been talking about running for President since 1987, well before the movie came out, and the wrestler president was probably based more on Jessie "The Body" Ventura's stint as governor of Minnesota than Trump predictions anyway. Branded bottled water has been around in the US since the 1970s and has gotten more popular over time. Dealing with giant piles of garbage has been a problem for a long time, the first paper about the Great Pacific Trash patch came out in 1988. Big box stores getting bigger was current a decade before the movie came out. Screens within screens of TVs was a common idea at the time, and actually looks more like a failed prediction now, since 'giant wall of TVs' seems to be losing out to 'individual devices' for a lot of people, as does the number of 'kicked in the balls' shows since that specific phenomenon died off.

I don't think 'these things that are here now will be around in the future and current trends will continue in an exaggerated way' is really much of a prophecy. It's like saying the Simpsons predicted the Trump presidency out of the blue, when they were really just making fun of Trump's decades of talking about running for president.

Yeah, it's not prediction; it's projection. Dystopian visions of the future are never about the future; they're exaggerations of the present projected onto an imagined future to make a point about it.

Neito posted:

Back when I tortured myself with social media, my favorite move was when some MAGA or Chud poster would tell me to read a history book, I'd ask which one. I never got an answer.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Oof, they really chewed him up and spit him out, huh?
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1747397788713783634?t=_qVOvYZT7xyhSwh0haoWfA&s=19

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

God the Bee is so schizophrenic

There could be a joke there making fun of Trump as a racist ignoramus but since they also need to fellate their god-emperor and insist that liberals are the real racists its just dumb as hell

...!
Oct 5, 2003

"But the leopards would never eat my face!"

Between this and Trump publicly denouncing him, mocking him and calling him "not MAGA" (quite a lot of appreciation Trump has for a guy who publicly sucked his dick at every single opportunity!) it's been a pretty rough week for ol' Vivek...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The truly pathetic thing was Vivek's response to Trump's Truth Social post that trashed him.

He says he's not upset with Trump since it's very obvious that Trump didn't write it. According to Vivek, the post was clearly written by an unknown malcontent on Trump's staff who has access to his account. You see, Trump would never say such things about his buddy Vivek.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

...! posted:

The truly pathetic thing was Vivek's response to Trump's Truth Social post that trashed him.

He says he's not upset with Trump since it's very obvious that Trump didn't write it. According to Vivek, the post was clearly written by an unknown malcontent on Trump's staff who has access to his account. You see, Trump would never say such things about his buddy Vivek.

Vivek has officially exceeded Ted Cruz's ability to lick the boot that stomped him

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

...! posted:

"But the leopards would never eat my face!"

Between this and Trump publicly denouncing him, mocking him and calling him "not MAGA" (quite a lot of appreciation Trump has for a guy who publicly sucked his dick at every single opportunity!) it's been a pretty rough week for ol' Vivek...

Sotha Sil and Almalexia are probably laughing about him being "not CHIM". Sad!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, it's not prediction; it's projection. Dystopian visions of the future are never about the future; they're exaggerations of the present projected onto an imagined future to make a point about it.

See also "classic cyberpunk is so prophetic!" when classic cyberpunk was almost entirely either things that existed in the 1980s, things that 1980s mainstream sources would tell you were right around the corner, and things that have aged as badly as older sci-fi heroes exploring the jungles of Venus.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Killer robot posted:

See also "classic cyberpunk is so prophetic!" when classic cyberpunk was almost entirely either things that existed in the 1980s, things that 1980s mainstream sources would tell you were right around the corner, and things that have aged as badly as older sci-fi heroes exploring the jungles of Venus.

yeah classic cyberpunk was 100% from the minds of an age where the telly was full of people having total meltdowns about the japanese tech takeover eclipsing US industry because of the sheer audacity of selling products like video players and cars that, how you say, "actually work"

and they were like ok we need to extrapolate our fears to, ummm, the distant future year of 2010 where we are installing the vcr's into our brains

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean yeah even though cyberpunk were basically just mostly extrapolating from contemporary fears, they did get a lot of stuff right in how the extrapolated it. Snowcrash probably most famously with the giant penis avatars, and people buying more expensive avatar and looking down on cheaper ones in online worlds.

Also some of them got pretty close in the different ways multinationals would be bastards in the future, sure multinationals being bastards is always a safe bet but some of the were definitely more right than others in the exact methods in how they'd be bastards and dehumanize their workers and customers.

Forty years on though and no giant tech pyramid though. :(

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Remember that speculative fiction gets an awful lot wrong too. The narration in Neuromancer says something about Case getting pirated music on RAM chips. I'm pretty sure RAM doesn't work that way, but I majored in unemployable skills.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Star Man posted:

Remember that speculative fiction gets an awful lot wrong too. The narration in Neuromancer says something about Case getting pirated music on RAM chips. I'm pretty sure RAM doesn't work that way, but I majored in unemployable skills.

There is NV-RAM (Non-Volatile Random Access Memory) , which was a thing for a while and still exists in some applications (mostly routers), but the use case has largely been replaced with NAND Flash storage (USB Drives and SSDs), which I believe is way cheaper to produce.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Well NVME drives are the closest thing we have to permanent RAM storage now I guess?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

Well NVME drives are the closest thing we have to permanent RAM storage now I guess?

There's some minor technical differences (NV RAM is way faster, I believe, than Flash memory), but for most intents and purposes yes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury_Storm posted:

Intel Optane :rip:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

dr_rat posted:

I mean yeah even though cyberpunk were basically just mostly extrapolating from contemporary fears, they did get a lot of stuff right in how the extrapolated it. Snowcrash probably most famously with the giant penis avatars, and people buying more expensive avatar and looking down on cheaper ones in online worlds.

Also some of them got pretty close in the different ways multinationals would be bastards in the future, sure multinationals being bastards is always a safe bet but some of the were definitely more right than others in the exact methods in how they'd be bastards and dehumanize their workers and customers.

I'll gladly take a dragon for president over the orange-faced fascist we have running now.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

Vivek has officially exceeded Ted Cruz's ability to lick the boot that stomped him

many peoplehave exceeded that. hell Cruz's bootlicking wasnt even good enough to get his own unit of measurement.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Yeah Ted Cruz bowing the knee to lick the boot was notable because it was kind of the first time we had seen that happen, back in the "psh, Hillary's got this" days. Now it's just how the GOP functions on a basic level.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

dr_rat posted:

Is that really much of a prediction though? I mean "people have been drawing dicks on things since as far back as we can find drawings, they'll draw dicks on future computer graphics too" is a really safe bet, and I'm not sure that "if there are multiple prices of things, people will buy the more expensive thing and look down on people who use a cheaper version" really even counts as a prediction instead of an observation. Both of those really seem more like 'current stuff that is going on will happen in this new medium' than prognostication.

Meanwhile some core ideas from Stephenson's multiverse haven't happened and don't appear likely to happen, in spite of formerly-Facebook trying to make them happen. People shop online a lot, but no one is actually interested in making an avatar that walks around a virtual store picking up virtual items to make a list of real items to be delivered later except as a one-off novelty, they use an app or website where they just select the items from a list or search for specifics. Videoconferencing for business is huge (and boomed a lot during the pandemic), but using an avatar from it instead of voice-only or your actual face is really rare (and mostly done for novelty value), and the idea of using the same avatar and identity for business conferencing and sword fighting games really hasn't caught on.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

dr_rat posted:

Sometimes the giant sphere in Las Vegas is an eyeball and gazes into your soul

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Space Fish posted:

Sometimes the giant sphere in Las Vegas is an eyeball and gazes into your soul

One of the few times big tech actually looks at the poor

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Star Man posted:

The whole thing with Wintermute and Neuromancer is that one is RAM creativity and the other is ROM memory and the combination of the two births a being with real sentience, which makes no sense in any computer science terms, but is nice and poetic sounding.

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, the "prophetic" power of cyberpunk is really just that Cadigan, Gibson, Shiner, Sterling, and not Stephenson* were writing about the failures of late capitalism that already existed and continue to exist. I love that stuff, and I think it prepared me well for our actual dystopia, but anytime someone tells me about the prophetic powers of cyberpunk, I ask them why Case and Molly never just used a cellphone.

*Snowcrash is more a spoof of cyberpunk than an original contribution to the genre.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Y'all are a buncha nerds

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

PeterWeller posted:

*Snowcrash is more a spoof of cyberpunk than an original contribution to the genre.

The main character is named "Hiro Protagonist", that should be a gigantic clue that it's maybe a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Who is also the best swordfighter in the metaverse (because he wrote the code).

It's like that Libertarian Police Deparment the New Yorker published, except as a whole novel.

Stephenson is a real weirdo. On one hand he's dunking on libertarians and tech bros, on the other he's a libertarian tech bro, on the other other hand his novels often emphasise the importance of community and society. Like, what is going on with this guy.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Who is also the best swordfighter in the metaverse (because he wrote the code).

It's like that Libertarian Police Deparment the New Yorker published, except as a whole novel.

Stephenson is a real weirdo. On one hand he's dunking on libertarians and tech bros, on the other he's a libertarian tech bro, on the other other hand his novels often emphasise the importance of community and society. Like, what is going on with this guy.

Yeah, for whatever reason the one scene that always stuck with me from Cryptonomicon was the one where protagonist guy was at some dinner with his wife's pals in the humanities, and the narration keeps bemoaning how very silly and unserious these humanities people are, and how only the tech protagonist had his head on straight.

Even as a teenager I was like "drat Neil, tell us how you really feel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I think part of the hostility towards "humanities" is that it is often abstract concepts that don't always translate well to tangible outcomes. So someone with a real concrete way of thinking, lacking in toddler object permanence, can see that the person who designs and builds widgets to be a legitimate profession- they have something tangible to account for their labor. But the humanities major isn't producing widgets, or a thousand bushels of grain each harvest, or building a house, or keeping machinery running.