Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It's a shame, cause the premise is fine before it takes that weird turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It and the Ray Has DTs And Nearly Actually Dies arc are probably the two lowest points that Achewood ever hit.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

moot the hopple posted:

I chose to forget the High School arc like it never happened and hope Onstad never gets to such dark place in his life again

Yeah, this is it for me. It is the strip's turd wrapped in a bedsheet with a bullet in it, and I choose not to make it part of my 5 O' Clock News

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Usually I enjoy Nice Pete's brand of dark humor but that arc made me want him dead

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

how to tell someone you haven't read Scott Pilgrim

This is a pretty good self-own

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

It and the Ray Has DTs And Nearly Actually Dies arc are probably the two lowest points that Achewood ever hit.

The high school arc actually has some good strips before taking a turn to wtf territory. The Ray has DTs one jumped up its own rear end from the word go.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
At least Ray getting DTs had a callback to Ray's Flowchart: A baseball cap can hold the average puke.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Showbiz finally figuring out a cash stream

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
last panel tells a sad story

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The high school arc actually has some good strips before taking a turn to wtf territory. The Ray has DTs one jumped up its own rear end from the word go.

ray has dts had one good part

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Pattonesque posted:

Did we ever find out who Corliss was?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Pershing posted:

Beef's mom :(

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pershing posted:

Corliss is Roast Beef's mother.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
his father?

samuel h. invisible 🎶

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love the movement in that strip from the wacky "Roast Beef's brother is a dirtbag but in an absurd way" blotter entry to the grounded, horrible and real last beat. It reminds you that, despite the fact that Showbiz just went to jail for swapping the bananas at the grocery store, this whole thing is grimy and sad as much as it's funny.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

The punchline always gets me.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 17, 2024

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
looking at the words in just these couple strips:

cranchety: looks like a nonce* portmanteau of cranky and crotchety. someone put it on UrbanDictionary, but that means nothing

rannygazoo: a Wodehouse word, adapted from one of those weird americanisms from late 19th c (orig meaning "overblown news")

muttershanks: doesn't mean anything, but drat if it's not clear anyway. best guess is that it's a riff on widdershins, but that's still a guess

fannel-cocking: banner-valve. doesn't really mean anything, as far as I can tell.

hurkity: variation on herky (I assume)

scaphism: a really gross method of execution. the victim is pinned in one boat under another and force-fed milk and honey. also lotioned up with it. then they leave him in the sun.

thank you for joining me on this Journey of Words

*not that kind

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Internet people of a certain age will have encountered "rannygazoo" in the hit weirdo song and video "Frontier Pharmacist", aka "That boy needs therapy"

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Cornelius got briefly flanderized, and went from “wise chill old man who dates stripper, chats with convicts, and gets Star Wars ‘tattooed’ on his chest” to “lol old people are funny so he’s now a confused time traveler from Regency England”

I hold out hope that Cornelius eventually gets an arc in the reboot

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Empty Sandwich posted:

thank you for joining me on this Journey of Words

I never understood "Steaks present!"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ray has brain damage and is combining two things he likes in an inappropriate way, by saying the best thing ever would be to have an orgasm while in the presence of some steaks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm not inclined to disagree.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Barely even feels like Ray brain damage to me. He's always been a bit obsessed with the conspicuous part of consumption, he definitely thinks you have a better orgasm if you just paid for an expensive dinner at a restaurant with a terrible but well recognized name.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Larry Cum Free posted:

I never understood "Steaks present!"

Steaks are in the vicinity of the orgasm.

Mr. Bear definitely got flanderized there but I think Beef's stuff is fine. Absolutely in character for him to toss out some made up words that convey his tone

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

ullerrm posted:

Cornelius got briefly flanderized, and went from “wise chill old man who dates stripper, chats with convicts, and gets Star Wars ‘tattooed’ on his chest” to “lol old people are funny so he’s now a confused time traveler from Regency England”

I hold out hope that Cornelius eventually gets an arc in the reboot

Yeah, at the end of the strips before the current reboot, Lyle and Cornelius kinda lost their voices and became flattened versions themselves. Cornelius "translating" for Lyle when Pooh died was a step in the right direction for both characters.

I'm glad we haven't seen any lines like "pot roast in estrus" since the reboot.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Phy posted:

Internet people of a certain age will have encountered "rannygazoo" in the hit weirdo song and video "Frontier Pharmacist", aka "That boy needs therapy"

I know this song but clearly have not listened with care

robot roll call posted:

Mr. Bear definitely got flanderized there but I think Beef's stuff is fine. Absolutely in character for him to toss out some made up words that convey his tone

oh, I should have phrased it differently. it feels as though they all definitely mean something in the comic, even if they're not "real"

cranchity and hurkity I could just work into conversation and everybody would get it

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

ullerrm posted:

The punchline always gets me.

I can't find which strip this is from. Sometimes assetbar is a fucker.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I can't find which strip this is from. Sometimes assetbar is a fucker.

https://www.achewood.com/2016/07/29/title.html

Dunny
Jul 11, 2022

On that secret Taco Bell menu since small times

(Thanks for the Achewood collection, dude)

Pattonesque posted:

That third from last panel is probably the only time I've ever pronounced "produce" as "pro doose" in my head while reading. Such is the strength and power of Beef's writing.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
unsure how i feel about a Genuinely Happy Nice Pete.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Was expecting that sheriff to get Rambo First Blooded

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The sad thing about Showbiz is that yes he's a moron and a selfish jackass but it really wouldn't take all that much for him to turn things around and become a relatively productive member of society

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

drrockso20 posted:

The sad thing about Showbiz is that yes he's a moron and a selfish jackass but it really wouldn't take all that much for him to turn things around and become a relatively productive member of society

You mean drying out and achieving an education level beyond fourth grade?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Next dramatic arc: Showbiz Gets The DTs (Nobody Notices)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah, all he has to do is sell his car.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ManiacClown posted:

You mean drying out and achieving an education level beyond fourth grade?

Showbiz is definitely an alcoholic but his problems don't really center around his drinking, if anything him going full sober would probably see him just finding a new addiction that would probably be way more obnoxious for everyone around him to deal with

But yeah straighten him out*, get him a GED, and take care of his weird debts and you've got someone who could probably reasonably be a manager at a gas station or yogurt shop or something, the sort of quiet mediocrity that often gets unfairly maligned even though it's an essential part of modern society

*well at least as straight as a Kazenzakis can get, so still probably a little wobbly and crooked

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

If getting workplace harassment suits was a piano Showbiz would be considered a bold and unpredictable talent

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

drrockso20 posted:

didn't he try to install a camera in beef and molly's shower?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Deathlove posted:

unsure how i feel about a Genuinely Happy Nice Pete.
His friendliness with Rod feels natural. It's like a panda bear making friends with a mountain lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Showbiz is definitely an alcoholic but his problems don't really center around his drinking, if anything him going full sober would probably see him just finding a new addiction that would probably be way more obnoxious for everyone around him to deal with

But yeah straighten him out*, get him a GED, and take care of his weird debts and you've got someone who could probably reasonably be a manager at a gas station or yogurt shop or something, the sort of quiet mediocrity that often gets unfairly maligned even though it's an essential part of modern society

*well at least as straight as a Kazenzakis can get, so still probably a little wobbly and crooked

I feel like it's an intrinsic part of showbiz's deal that if you presented him with something like a yogurt shop all to himself within 15 minutes everything not nailed down would be stolen and pawned for stereo parts