Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Actually I also have mature and respectful communications with my significant other about possible sources of tension so that we can take a collaborative solution-oriented approach based on mutual respect and compassion.
This is super healthy and I wish I had done it more in my previous relationship, but I have a bad tendency to try and avoid conflict.

Air Skwirl posted:

If the only time you talk about your SO to others is to complain about them, it's definitely a problem, but I think it's fine to vent about trivial things like how much you hate their favorite TV show to other people.
Yeah, I have one friend who I've never heard say a good word about her boyfriend (and the one time I met him at a social gathering they wound up having an argument where he was clearly at fault), but she seems really loving dedicated to the idea of "working things out"....which, well, good luck with that girl, sounds like you're gonna need it. That contrasts with other friends who occasionally complain about SOs but also talk about fun poo poo they did together or great moments they had together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C-Euro posted:

Especially not a random stranger.

I tell ya I get no respect.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

lol yeah, I experience the same thing and my GF also does when hanging out with the girls of my friend group. She’s said multiple times they’ll be bitching and then all look at her and she’ll be like “Idk T-Square is the best, idk what to tell you” :smug:

Android Apocalypse posted:

When I go on my weekly hikes with fellow goon Crosshatch he will sometimes vent about his wife. I suspect I'm one of the only people he can talk to about it besides his therapist or his family members so I let it slide. I do like his wife & think the two of them are good for each other, but I also recognize some of the issues Crosshatch has with her. :shrug:

This seems like normal friend stuff, I feel like this person might be upset if you were naming and shaming them on the forums after confiding in a close friend on personal issues, you should consider editing out their username

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I came down to Florida with the gf to visit her college friends. They’re all married so I’m hanging out with their husbands while the girls go off and do stuff. We played golf today and I swear to god they haven’t stopped complaining about their wives. Idk if it’s like bro culture or whatever but it’s annoying as hell. They tried roping me in like “does your girl annoy you too?” And I’m like…no, she’s awesome and I love hanging out with her wtf, and even if she did I wouldn’t talk poo poo about her to you losers.

Any man I've ever met whose said "happy wife, happy life" has seemed like 30 seconds from blowing their brains out.

My wife is amazing and I'm drat lucky she settled for my weird scrungly rear end.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
At the risk of starting a weird debate - Costco chili is drat good!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I haven't had it but my hot take Costco opinion is that the pizza is mid. Fine but I'll choose most other pizza befofe it.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh their pizza kinda sucks imo. Chicken bake is gross. Hotdog or the strawberry sundae thing

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Hotdog with a berry or mocha smoothie is the pure land of Costco's food court. The churros are also acceptable.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Hotdog with a berry or mocha smoothie is the pure land of Costco's food court. The churros are also acceptable.

Their strawberry ice cream with the strawberry topping is my new favorite.

The pizza is ok, and it makes a quick meal at home, but I miss the combo flavor. What I really miss is decent take and bake pizza. Almost all of those places closed down around here.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Costco used to have an awesome square take and bake pizza, it was only around for a couple of years but I miss it dearly.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh they also have these little carrots - they’re full shape but smaller, and in three colors (yellow, purple, etc) and they’re absolutely delicious with basic steaming and salting

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh they also have these little carrots - they’re full shape but smaller, and in three colors (yellow, purple, etc) and they’re absolutely delicious with basic steaming and salting

Carrots are bad

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I found out in Costco Japan food court, instead of a chicken bake, they have a bulgogi bake, and man... that sounds so much better.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Quiet Feet posted:

Carrots are bad

Record scratch

Wat?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

Record scratch

Wat?

For some reason they give me dry heaves. Been this way since I was a kid and I have no idea why, but as a result I cannot stand them.

Like in tiny shreds in cole slaw it's fine but anything bigger than that and :barf:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh man! I love em. Baby mixed heirloom carrots

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Quiet Feet posted:

Carrots are bad

No.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Carrots I can take or leave. They don't have much flavor to me, so I find them unappetizing whole or in large pieces, but they're utterly inoffensive sliced or shredded and offer good nutrition plus they come in unique colors. When I made a big pot of chicken soup a while back, I had rainbow baby carrots in the fridge, so I just sliced those suckers up and dumped them in, so my soup had little orange, purple, and yellow discs floating in it, which looked cool.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Quiet Feet posted:

For some reason they give me dry heaves. Been this way since I was a kid and I have no idea why, but as a result I cannot stand them.

Like in tiny shreds in cole slaw it's fine but anything bigger than that and :barf:

Fair, but for everyone else, have this thing from the food lab which is amazing

quote:

1½ pounds large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch disks or faux tournée
½ teaspoon cornstarch
1½ cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley or chives
¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
½ teaspoon lemon zest and 1 teaspoon lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Toss the carrots with the cornstarch in a 12-inch heavy-bottomed stainless steel skillet until no clumps of starch remain. Add the stock, butter, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are almost tender (they should show little resistance when poked with a cake tester or the tip of a knife), about 10 minutes.

2. Increase the heat to high and boil, tossing occasionally, until the sauce is reduced to a shiny glaze. Remove from the heat, add the herbs, almonds, lemon zest and lemon juice, and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quiet Feet posted:

My brother in law has this and I'm like, dude you can't eat soup? Like a basic mirepoix can apparently mess him up.

Weirdest thing. He's fine with other spices and veggies of all sorts, just carrots are a problem for some reason.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I like carrots but every now & then I can notice their inherent sweetness and it actually weirds me out for a second.

Power came back in the house at 5:45pm so at least I won't freeze tonight.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I'm good with just about all veggies except corn. I hate corn probably more than a reasonable human should.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

T-Square posted:

lol yeah, I experience the same thing and my GF also does when hanging out with the girls of my friend group. She’s said multiple times they’ll be bitching and then all look at her and she’ll be like “Idk T-Square is the best, idk what to tell you” :smug:

That's what she tells you she tells them.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I wonder how much spit the average "I don't like this regular ingredient can you please alter the recipe for me" individual eats in a lifetime. I had a friend at work who could never just order what was on the menu and he irritated everyone and we didn't even have to pick the carrots/mushrooms/whatever out of his lunch.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I found out in Costco Japan food court, instead of a chicken bake, they have a bulgogi bake, and man... that sounds so much better.

I had that last time I went to Costco, it’s definitely a calorie bomb and about all you’d need for a lunch. Bulgogi inside the same baked bread outer.

The other fun thing is they give you two spoons or straws with the frozen yogurt desserts, which are the same size as what you’d get in the U.S.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Did a Carne Asada Ribeye for me and a regular for the wife, Yukon/Idaho mashed taters with pork stock/cheddar and some glazed baby carrots.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Meet Henry James. He is so stinkin' cute.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GD_American posted:

Well that is a nice way to start 2024. :swoon:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
‘s a good lookin dog right there

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Adorable and in need of all the pets.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I wonder how much spit the average "I don't like this regular ingredient can you please alter the recipe for me" individual eats in a lifetime. I had a friend at work who could never just order what was on the menu and he irritated everyone and we didn't even have to pick the carrots/mushrooms/whatever out of his lunch.

I worked in restaurants for more than a decade and to my knowledge the cooks didn't spit in the food no matter how annoying the customer. I was front of house so they had plenty of opportunities to do it without me seeing.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, this guy isn't an rear end in a top hat per se but just overly picky. I could see FOH staff rolling their eyes when he ordered, but he paid and wasn't otherwise obnoxious/annoying. His friends (my work crew) just got tired of every restaurant possibly being vetoed because (imaginary reason)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

GD_American posted:

oh my heart

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Yeah I've also worked in restaurants for a long time and the idea of a cook spitting in food is a handy movie trope for a writer who needs a cheap laugh but nothing more. I've literally never heard of it happening in real life, and no one even jokes about it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I'm good with just about all veggies except corn. I hate corn probably more than a reasonable human should.

The only veggie I absolutely cannot stand is zucchini. To me, it tastes bitter and rotten, no matter how it's prepared, and my palate simply cannot tolerate it.

Everything else, though? Let's go crazy.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I've replaced sliced cucumber on my salads with raw sliced zucchini and it's a game changer.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Made some potato pave tonight. Turned out pretty good.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Qwijib0 posted:

Record scratch

Wat?

He right though

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Raw carrots are good. Cooked. Eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, this guy isn't an rear end in a top hat per se but just overly picky. I could see FOH staff rolling their eyes when he ordered, but he paid and wasn't otherwise obnoxious/annoying. His friends (my work crew) just got tired of every restaurant possibly being vetoed because (imaginary reason)

I get it, I just see things like the movie Waiting (which I thought was mostly funny) where there's this big thing about loving with a customer's food and it just annoys me that people think that happens in real life. Most often the punishment for being a picky eater is random upcharges on the item or it taking significantly longer to come out than everything else.