Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Democrats to spend $35M targeting voters of color in House races

quote:

Democrats announced Tuesday that they are spending at least $35 million this election cycle to "persuade and mobilize" Latino, Black, Asian American, Pacific Islander and Native Hawaiian voters to help the party win control of the U.S. House in November.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee told NBC News in advance of the announcement that the planned 2024 spending would surpass the $30 million spent on those groups of voters in the 2022 midterm elections and other previous cycles.

The DCCC, which is tasked with financing and helping Democrats win House elections, has dubbed the effort "Power the People" (with Power standing for persuade, organize, welcome, educate and reach).

(I guess that's more honest than "Power to the People")

quote:

The investment and work associated with the program “honors our commitment to the multiethnic coalition that our fragile democracy depends on,” Missayr Boker, DCCC deputy executive director for campaigns, said in a news release. “While extremist Republicans continue to lie, cheat and suppress the vote of people of color in order to win elections, Democrats understand that democracy is strengthened when everyone’s voice is heard.”

The DCCC said some of the money has already been spent, including for the first time to research and survey where voters are going to get their information. Latinos spend a lot of time on YouTube, for example, said José Muñoz, a DCCC spokesman.

“Obviously we are going to do smart, targeted outreach to understand nuances not just between groups, but between different regions and localized by district. For example, what may speak to and resonate with Latinos in Florida is different from those in the Central Valley” of California, Muñoz said.

:thunk:

quote:

Other spending areas will include:

* Conducting in-depth research and polling within the different communities to understand voters' priorities.

* Creating media that reaches people in their language of choice — including Spanglish — and for different social platforms.

* Organizing with local leaders and community members to register, rally and connect voters and build connections between local and national organizations.

* Providing information on voting laws, options and any changes that may make voting harder, as well as building up trust in voting by mail in places where it's offered.

* Tracking and countering disinformation spread through social and traditional media and aimed at particular communities. This work will include “In It Together,” an expansion of the “Juntos” (Together) tool that Democrats used in the last last election cycle to counter false and misleading information. "In It Together" will provide shareable content and resources that will be available in English, Hindi, Korean, Mandarin, Spanish, Tagalog and Vietnamese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

that story linked to a november story about the black vote drifting away from biden & that one is p. lol too:

quote:

The Biden campaign insists it understands. Quentin Fulks, Biden’s principal deputy campaign manager, told NBC News that “hundreds of millions of dollars” have been committed to reaching Black voters. Much of it will be via radio and television ads and public service announcements between now and the election.

“For us to win this thing, we have to have long, sustained conversations with African Americans in their communities, in the ways in which they get their news about what we’re going to do for them and about what we have done for them as a whole,” Fulks said.

He cited the lowest Black unemployment rate in history, at 4.7% in April; marijuana reform through Biden’s pardon of all prior federal offenses of simple marijuana possession; the Child Tax Credit that has cut Black child poverty; lower prescription drug prices and energy costs for seniors through the Inflation Reduction Act; the investment of almost $7 billion in historically Black colleges and universities; 400,000 more Black people enrolled in health insurance coverage through HealthCare.gov; the appointment of Black judges to a third of open judicial seats around the country, and many other wins.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Democrats to spend $35M targeting voters of color in House races

(I guess that's more honest than "Power to the People")

:thunk:

lol "educate"

Look here Jack you might be out of work and can't afford your rent but the numbers don't lie: the economy is loving great right now and you're just too stupid to see it!

Griz
May 21, 2001

I can't believe they're still going on about the loving tax credit from 2021 that they couldn't be bothered to renew

e: actually it's probably worse now than ever before

quote:

Since the expiration of the Child Tax Credit expansion at the end of 2021, the credit has reverted to a maximum of $2,000 per child and no longer is fully available to all low-income children. Some 19 million children live in families whose incomes are too low to qualify for the full credit. This includes nearly half (46 percent) of Black children, 1 in 3 Latino and American Indian and Alaska Native children, about 1 in 6 white and 1 in 7 Asian children, and 1 in 3 children in rural counties.
https://www.cbpp.org/press/statements/record-rise-in-poverty-highlights-importance-of-child-tax-credit-health-coverage

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Willa Rogers posted:

DU libs are wondering if IA & NH dems should choose to operation-ratfuck trump & vote for haley instead so the cbs poll showing that she does better than trump against biden is hilarious.

the best way to sink trump is with a third party challenger.

that third party? the GOP

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
America doubled the number of children living in poverty.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

looking like they didn't get their money's worth out of Will Stancil, :rip: bozos

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Platystemon posted:

can't get to one billion americans without breaking a few eggs

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Willa Rogers posted:

that story linked to a november story about the black vote drifting away from biden & that one is p. lol too:

Television and radio (lol) ads aren't a "conversation".

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

Television and radio (lol) ads aren't a "conversation".

"Now, have a seat while I spend a while telling you what Biden's done for you, then you can repeat back to me what Biden's done for you."

It's like that old joke about self-involved people: "But enough about me; now tell me what you think about me."

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Willa Rogers posted:

quote:

* Conducting in-depth research and polling within the different communities to understand voters' priorities.

Isn't that something they should have done more than eight months prior to the election

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Platystemon posted:

after proving they could cut the child poverty rate in half, at least 🤣

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1746504249456955831

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
trump tops his opponents

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Willa Rogers posted:

* Creating media that reaches people in their language of choice — including Spanglish — and for different social platforms.

"Voting para the democratico incubent abuelito José Robinetto Bidenez es muy important for democracia in this country"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

traditionally, Biden has strongly supported agents targeting voters of color

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SixteenShells posted:

Isn't that something they should have done more than eight months prior to the election

ah yes the "awareness" schtick

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

lol if Trump manages to win two nonconsecutive terms.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

lol if Trump manages to win two nonconsecutive terms.

if he's still alive and not in jail by November he's got it in the bag. biden barely won 2020, he's extremely unpopular, and unlike republicans dem voters won't come out unless they actually want to vote for the candidate. he's going to taft!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Hatebag posted:

if he's still alive and not in jail by November he's got it in the bag. biden barely won 2020, he's extremely unpopular, and unlike republicans dem voters won't come out unless they actually want to vote for the candidate. he's going to taft!

Can't wait for all the scolding articles telling me it's my duty to vote for Biden, and that I'm a terrible person if I don't.

I'm not even a US voter, and they still piss me off.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Hatebag posted:

Don't you mean Cleveland? :thunk:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

I think he means he's gonna get stuck in a bathtub

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Yeah, a Taft situation would be if Biden won because the never Trumpers reformed the Bull Moose party and split off a huge section of the Republican base. Trump's more likely to be the Wilson in 2024 if the Muslim vote impacts the Dems.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Fleetwood posted:

the bolded part isn't really hyperbole

the modern Dem power elite are a throwback to Teddy Roosevelt Progressives from the Hamptons who lobbied the federal government to begin formal eugenics studies, inspiring Nazi Germany to follow suit within a couple decades. all we've really done since 100 years ago is change the meaning of progressive, just like we've done with terms like democracy/oligarchy, materialism/consumerism, etc

Yup

The dem party and “progressivism” were simply co-opted by klaus Schwab and WEF billionaires through bribes and blackmail, which is the modern version of what you described. They even explicitly call it it the public—private partnership, which we all know what that means

It’s how the 2024 election came down to a dick measuring shitshow between klaus Schwab and Donald trump and their backers lmao.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, a Taft situation would be if Biden won because the never Trumpers reformed the Bull Moose party and split off a huge section of the Republican base. Trump's more likely to be the Wilson in 2024 if the Muslim vote impacts the Dems.

Alternatively Trump could fail his relection bid, but become a respected member of the SC, that would be fun

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/war-gaza-staffers-internal-anger-with-biden-congress-reaches-boiling-point

quote:

After three months of Israel's war on Gaza, and after months of widespread mass protests against the war and calls for US President Joe Biden to support a ceasefire, Washington ordered air strikes on Yemen, an escalatory move that could push the region into a wider war.

The decision by Biden has exponentially increased the level of anger from lawmakers and progressives who have been working since October to push for a ceasefire in Gaza.

But anger and dissent aren't limited to the progressive camp. Middle East Eye spoke to congressional staffers from several offices across both chambers, as well as several staffers working in the Biden administration who say that frustration towards Biden and Congress has reached a boiling point.

"The level of anger at Joe Biden is now comparable to the level of anger at Donald Trump," one progressive Capitol Hill staffer told Middle East Eye on the night the US conducted the first strikes on Yemen.

"The idea that he would do that and then ask us to vote for him is ludicrous," the staffer said. "I don't know what planet they are operating on, but this is not how you win in November."

[....]

Since 7 October, one White House staff member told Middle East Eye that she has had a letter of resignation typed up and ready to send. Each day, she takes a look at it, wondering whether it will be the day she decides to leave.

"The only reason a lot of us had for staying is, if we're not here, who will be at least advocating. I think that's what's held a few of us back, but that one specific cause is slowly - it's fading away. There's not much else left," the staffer told MEE.

"There's nothing really tying us to want to stay here and also make us feel even more complicit."

The staffer's experience and feelings resemble many others across the administration who decided to join the Biden administration to work on a number of domestic policy issues such as education or the environment. But now, each day the war continues, they see working there as risking complicity in Biden's fervent support for the war, even as Israel has been brought to The Hague to defend itself against accusations of genocide.

"Staffers feel demoralised, and they feel disconnected, kind of appalled and very uncomfortable working for this president," another White House staffer said.

"It's very difficult to continue to work here."

Members of at least every agency in the Biden administration have expressed support for a ceasefire, according to several White House staff members who spoke to MEE.

So far, two people from the administration have tendered their resignations - Josh Paul, who oversaw arms transfers at State, and Tariq Habash, who worked on education policy at the White House.

The morale of staff in the White House is so low that the chief of staff planned a party in the hopes of cheering up the employees, according to a report from Axios.

However, it's not clear if the senior staff members of the administration understand why morale is so low. After the report of the party for White House staff, another report stated that hundreds of federal employees across 22 government agencies are planning a walk-out to protest against Biden's handling of the war.

"Mass resignations would be powerful, but I don't know if we are there yet," the first White House staffer said.

A few blocks away in Congress, staffers tell Middle East Eye that the situation is similarly bleak, and it's not just a matter of dissent brewing within Washington. All across the US, the number of Americans who are against their country's support for the war has grown.

"We have people crying or sobbing, begging us to do something, telling us that we're complicit in what's happening, that we have blood on our hands, desperate for some direction or actions on what to do as Americans to help stop the violence that they see unfolding," said one congressional staffer.

More than 140 staffers wrote a letter in mid-December stating that, across 71 offices, they have received more than 700,000 calls urging their elected officials to call for a ceasefire in Gaza.

The actual number of calls for a ceasefire coming into congressional offices is likely in the millions, according to several congressional staff members who spoke to MEE.

But members of Congress wouldn't know this, since the congressional staff who spoke to MEE said that senior staff members often lower these numbers or simply don't present them to their representatives.

The suppression was a bitter reality that left many staffers demoralised. They didn't come to the Hill naive about how Congress operates. But similar to the experience of many Biden staffers, they never expected such a severe loss of life to be met with silence.

"I grew up as someone who always wanted to do politics, and so I would always hear that you should stand up for what you believe. So now that we're doing that, the fact that we have to be concerned about losing our jobs, I can be sued, all these threats. It just makes life really awkward in the office," said the second congressional staffer who spoke to MEE.

"I don't even know if I want to return to the Hill. It's just a very weird feeling."

Beyond questioning their own jobs, some individuals working in Congress have gone as far as saying elected officials refusing to speak on the subject should not even have the job of being a member of the US Congress.

"If you're hiding behind a podium, saying it's tough, there's a long history, [Israel] needs to do what they need to do, that is just a sign that you're unwilling to do your job as a member of Congress. You do not deserve the title or the responsibility that comes with it," said the third congressional staffer who spoke to MEE.

"That's where a lot of staff feel right now," the staffer said.

[....]

To the congressional staffers who spoke to MEE, the findings of these polls are what they themselves have been witnessing during their interactions with constituents. The fact that their offices have still yet to call for an end to the war does not bode well for them come election time.

"All of the people who are engaging with constituents are largely supporting a ceasefire, are largely coming out to our protests, and are largely calling for better from our bosses," one staffer said.

"I don't think a lot of these members understand exactly how unpopular and untenable their positions are."

the democrats are going to get loving annihilated

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sure am glad this dipshit is dragging us into a huge regional war. It's great we can't possibly replace him on the ballot.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Horseshoe theory posted:

oh yeah, cleveland. got my old timey chungus presidents mixed up

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not believing anyone making a show out of Biden not earning their vote until they actually follow through on it

There was so much poo poo talked about him in 2020 from even the softest lefties and they still overwhelmingly relented in the end, if they didn't flat out become scolds on his behalf lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why doesn't Biden just replace the staff who disagree with yes men?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I remember in 2016 making the case that perhaps a Donald Trump presidency would be preferable to a Clinton one in that it would accelerate our failing systems. That piecemeal reform was impossible and we needed to identify our irreparably broken systems (Supreme Court lol) by stress testing them with a big dumb evil idiot.

But now is Biden the accelerationist candidate? Wouldn’t re-electing him cause more instability and chaos and conflict? His party is actively jailing and disenfranchising his only competition. His party hates him. The public hates him. He has no popular will or agenda anymore other than eternal war. He can’t work with Congress or the Courts.

If you truly believe in DTA or DTI, maybe you should vote for Biden? Heighten the contradictions?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i lived in a swing state in 2020 and and refused to vote for Biden, and every day that goes by just further cements my conviction that was the right choice

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

space uncle posted:

I remember in 2016 making the case that perhaps a Donald Trump presidency would be preferable to a Clinton one in that it would accelerate our failing systems. That piecemeal reform was impossible and we needed to identify our irreparably broken systems (Supreme Court lol) by stress testing them with a big dumb evil idiot.

But now is Biden the accelerationist candidate? Wouldn’t re-electing him cause more instability and chaos and conflict? His party is actively jailing and disenfranchising his only competition. His party hates him. The public hates him. He has no popular will or agenda anymore other than eternal war. He can’t work with Congress or the Courts.

If you truly believe in DTA or DTI, maybe you should vote for Biden? Heighten the contradictions?

a clever gambit. the only winning move is to vote for PSL

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
or don't vote, whatever

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

space uncle posted:

maybe you should vote for Biden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsNHeSoABYQ

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

space uncle posted:

Trump is funnier.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Echo Chamber posted:

Trump is funnier.

Additionally, libs love their media and the DNC. The crises and contradictions causing the collapse are only reported on when Trump is in power. So, Trump being in power is the only way to cause the full enormity of crisis to sink in.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

space uncle posted:

You are very close to a profound truth of elections under cybernetic capitalism: every candidate is the accelerationist candidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This NYT piece gets funnier with every passing day.

Audio autoplay warning: Voters Are Wary of Biden. Here’s Why He Might Win Anyway.

quote:

Today, more than half of Democrats don’t want Joe Biden to seek a second term. But as he formally embarks on his reelection campaign, Democratic leaders are increasingly confident that the polls fail to capture Biden’s real strength, and that the electoral map favors him over a Republican.

My colleague, Jonathan Weisman, explains why. It’s Wednesday, April 26.

quote:

About 70 percent of Americans don’t want Joe Biden to run for reelection, and that includes about 51 percent of Democrats. The man will be 81 years old on election day 2024. He is already the oldest president in American history. He’ll be 86 at the end of his second term. That’s pretty old. And in the eyes of a lot of Americans, there’s a real worry there. It’s a very difficult and tricky issue.

[…]

And yet, if you talk to the Democratic cognoscenti, the leaders of the party, they’re pretty happy with the way things are developing.

[…]

Democratic leaders are looking at the structural advantages that President Biden has going into 2024, and the most important structural advantage is the map. Right now, there are only really three big swing states that matter. Three — Wisconsin, Arizona, and Georgia.

[…]

And President Biden only has to win one of those. The Republicans need to sweep all three. And Democrats feel pretty confident they will win either Wisconsin, Arizona, or Georgia.

quote:

Jonathan Weisman
And for now, for now, the map and the issues terrain looks very good for Joe Biden.

Michael Barbaro
If I’m reading between the lines of what you’re saying, for Democratic leaders, this is a clear case of it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it.

Jonathan Weisman
That’s a good way to put it. People know Joe Biden. They’ve known him for years and years. It will be very difficult for Republicans to somehow rebrand him. And the Democrats are thinking, let’s not try anything fancy, let’s go for it with Joe Biden.

Michael Barbaro
And a challenge to Joe Biden, a primary that perhaps might satisfy some Democrats’ hunger for a true contest in which the most popular person emerges, you’re saying the leadership of the party just thinks that is a bad idea, it can only make things more complicated, let’s not even entertain that idea.

quote:

Jonathan Weisman
Democrats don’t want that to happen. And there’s a good reason for that, because if Joe Biden faces an opponent, especially a more liberal opponent, he’ll be pulled to the left on very difficult issues, and he might have to embrace positions to win over Democrats that would come back to haunt him in November against the Republican candidate.

quote:

But at its heart, this is about Joe Biden. And is Joe Biden loved? Is he revered? No, he’s not. But he’s not hated either. Joe Biden inspires a certain comfort level.