Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Silly Newbie posted:

If their SharePoint and OneDrive needs to come over, it's a similar thing but God have mercy on your soul.

Did exactly this a couple of years ago for an acquisition. Definitely need to release from the previous tenant.

And don’t bother with bittitan if you have SharePoint/Teams to migrate, it doesn’t work and their support is nonexistent. Thankfully I only had three Teams worth of data to move and could do it manually. Email migration works well though.

And for the love of $deity have a comprehensive spreadsheet of what maps to what, DL members, etc. so things don’t go south. In order to release the domain from the tenant, you will have to remove all trace of it and switch everyone to @oldtenant.onmicrosoft .com. That will also be the source address to migrate from with bittitan or whatever tool.

Here is my checklist, hopefully this helps. We had the additional wrinkle of Okta in the middle for iDP and user provisioning:

code:
WEEK PRIOR
	Full User export including aliases
	Full DL export
	Full Shared Mailbox Export w/ permissions 
	Full Teams Export 
	Build translation csvs
	Configure Bittitan Migration Project

COMMUNICATE to ______ users that migration has begun/recovery instructions. Allow 30 min for email delivery to propagate.

MX Record change to Proofpoint

Infosec to validate mail receipt and holding.
Infosec to disconnect proofpoint o365 import from _____ tenant.

Run through Source Tenant Prep for domain removal
	https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mailbox-migration/migrate-mailboxes-across-tenants
Initiate token reset on all accounts in old tenant. 
	https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/sharepoint-online/revoke-spousersession?view=sharepoint-ps

Remove domain from old O365 tenant.

Add domains to new tenant. Validate domain ownership in O365 before next steps.  

Add domain as a federated domain in O365 / Okta configuration.

Validate domain with Okta/O365 Provisioning.

Provision test _____ user into AD from Okta and validate.

Confirm license assignment in O365 via automated methods/push groups.

Validate login process for the test user. 

Provision remaining _____ users to Local AD/O365 / Reapply aliases

Enable Okta automation for group push to O365, validate group population.

DESKTOP Team notification that user migration is complete. Test Mobile/Workstation login

Recreate distribution lists - ADD COMPANY ATTRIBUTE FOR ADDRESS BOOK AUTOMATION
	Recreate Shared Mailboxes w/ permissions
	Recreate 3 key teams groups identified for data migration.

INFOSEC - Force proofpoint sync to update users, etc to pull from new tenant.
	Validate mail flow for the domain. 
	INFOSEC - Release held mail. 

COMMUNICATE - Notify Users that migration is complete. Data migration may take up to 24 hours. 	

BITTITAN - Initiate mailbox/onedrive content copy.
BITTITAN - Initiate shared mailbox content copy.
BITTITAN - Initiate Teams content migration. 

Set email address policies to default 365 group creation to domain.com for _____ users
	https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/solutions/choose-domain-to-create-groups?view=o365-worldwide

Set attributes on distribution lists, etc to add to the _____ Address List in exchange online. Validate population of everyone in Address Lists.
	New-ManagementRoleAssignment -name "Address List Management" -SecurityGroup "Organization Management" -Role "Address Lists" -whatif
	New-GlobalAddressList -Name "_____" -IncludedRecipients AllRecipients -ConditionalCompany "_____" -whatif

We had the luxury of getting everyone created and logged in already in Okta so they could access workday, so it was mostly a matter of enabling them for user automation the rest of the way into AD/AAD and doing the data copy. Friday, they stopped using their old company laptops, and come Monday they all logged into their new autopilot intune machines and got right back to work. The last two items are just details to make it all a little more polished, hopefully you have a company attribute populated. Don't forget SPF records!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Gucci Loafers posted:

Anyone see the Cloudflare drama? Someone recorded their own RIF and it went viral.

I was curious because she mentions that cloud flare "couldn't afford" her and her colleagues that were being let go and I'm kind of surprised but cloud flare appears to be unprofitable to the tune of a couple hundred million each year.

In light of that I think she went easy on those HR people. I'd be absolutely livid if corporate irresponsibility involved hiring a bunch of chuckledicks and then tossing us and our lives into the fire to make Q4 look better to the pathetic investor class.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Honestly it was the corporate bullshit speak that got me most annoyed, and the CEO’s response to “fire with more kindness” totally missed the point.

You’re getting fired! It’s gonna suck! If you’re the hatchet man, be the loving hatchet man instead of “emphasizing with how you’re feeling right now” or “I hear you and I’m taking notes on the process” crap. Bah!

I’m aware one size doesn’t fit all, but “we’re laying off 3/4ths of our sales team because we misjudged the market, you weren’t a high enough performer to make the cut, sorry.” would have been less insulting to hear.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"I'm sorry you feel that way" :fuckoff:

The idea you could be getting fired for not reaching a number on some internal database while your manager is providing good feedback means one of those systems isn't necessary if you're just going to ignore it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
An app team is running a DR test today, and absolutely no one in network or security was notified in advance. Test starts, and they notice no network people are on, and just start texting and calling random people. But they only sent a meeting invite to a single person after the fact.
By the looks of it, our manager just forgot to tell people.

Even worse, this DR test link had been available for testing for weeks, but no one tried it before hand, as it looks like its a firewall issue, and that team isn't online.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If the bureaucratic machine decided it's time for 25% of the cogs to go, there's no feedback for improvement, the people doing the firing are some randoms, just send an email telling people they're fired. The awkward song and dance is so bad not because the people involved aren't good at it it's because the people involved are superfluous. It's the equivalent of the poor fucker who picks up the phone at Comcast. No knowledge, no power, just paying some poor fucker to take the rage from some other poor fucker because the capitalist class doesn't want to do their own dirty work.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The Internationale, playing more and more loudly to reassure the person I'm throwing on the street for not making profit appear from nowhere that I'm one of the good ones and really it's communism to work in HR

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Iron Rose posted:

Honestly it was the corporate bullshit speak that got me most annoyed

100% this, ugh

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

irregular reminder that cloudflare shelters nazis

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

tokin opposition posted:

The Internationale, playing more and more loudly to reassure the person I'm throwing on the street for not making profit appear from nowhere that I'm one of the good ones and really it's communism to work in HR

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the song of angry men?
It is the music of the people
Who are unfortunately no longer required please turn in your laptop and badge

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Silly Newbie posted:

You may be missing some. Does their data need to come over? If so, bit Titan or related product to bring their tenant into your tenant. Like theircompany.com to theircompany.yourcompany.com
Modify their mx records to point to your tenant.
Then, claim the domain to your tenant (possibly after releasing it from their tenant, I forget).
Remember that we're all company.onmicrosoft.com in the end and everything else is an alias.
Modify their users from theircompany.yourcompany.com to just theircompany.com, hand changing any duplicates. Use powershell.
Finally, add theircompany.com to your email filter of choice, like mimecast, verify that accounts are syncing properly, and modify their mx records.
If their SharePoint and OneDrive needs to come over, it's a similar thing but God have mercy on your soul.

Ah yeah, I should have specified. A vendor is handling the data migration between the tenants. My only responsibility on go live day is the ones I outlined in the post.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

The Fool posted:

What's this now?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Blurb3947 posted:

What's this now?

They have refused to stop protecting lovely sites in the past

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Blurb3947 posted:

What's this now?

Cloudflare has a documented history of allowing neo-Nazi/far-right websites to be served through (and thus protected by) their platform while these sites called for harassment and violence against the LGBTQ community. They've put forth very dubious arguments about being a "public utility" as an excuse for not removing said sites. None of those very strongly held convictions stopped them from suspending a social networking site for sex workers, though.

The Fool posted:

I'll add to this and say that no one should use any Cloudflare services - not even the free ones; DNS, reverse proxy, tunnels, any of it. Their whole strategy is to host so much of the internet behind their network that they can throw up their hands and say "See? We're protecting everybody! We're just the middleman!" Every site they host, paid or otherwise, becomes part of a massive human shield of digital content that makes identifying, blocking, and/or rooting out the bad poo poo that much harder. If you're not paying for something, you are the product.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Cenodoxus posted:

Cloudflare has a documented history of allowing neo-Nazi/far-right websites to be served through (and thus protected by) their platform while these sites called for harassment and violence against the LGBTQ community. They've put forth very dubious arguments about being a "public utility" as an excuse for not removing said sites. None of those very strongly held convictions stopped them from suspending a social networking site for sex workers, though.

I'll add to this and say that no one should use any Cloudflare services - not even the free ones; DNS, reverse proxy, tunnels, any of it. Their whole strategy is to host so much of the internet behind their network that they can throw up their hands and say "See? We're protecting everybody! We're just the middleman!" Every site they host, paid or otherwise, becomes part of a massive human shield of digital content that makes identifying, blocking, and/or rooting out the bad poo poo that much harder. If you're not paying for something, you are the product.

ok mr smarty man what's as easy to type in as 1.1.1.1? huh? huh? you find it easy to type in 9.9.9.9? I sure don't. 208.67.220.220 or variations with 222? No thank you. Obviously not 8.8.8.8 given Google's general enshittification, so you tell me bub, how do I enter DNS quickly without supporting neo nazis?

gently caress, man. won't even let me set the drat DNS without getting up my rear end about being a horrible person.

also the first time I tried to post this I got:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Going to crowdfund a new anycast DNS service at 69.4.20.x, who's in

SyNack Sassimov posted:

also the first time I tried to post this I got:

Yeah, good luck finding a major site that's not using them. I meant don't use their free DNS hosting service on your domains. Or do, I don't care. Just know who you're hitching your stuff to.

Google DNS is alright, I like the fact that they'll only ever return NXDOMAINs for negative results and not try to gently caress with redirects or landing pages. I get my internet from Google anyway.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

tehinternet posted:

lmao imagine working somewhere that recognizes MLK day as a paid holiday

:negative:

I’m pissed because only one of my two jobs honors MLK day. So I either work slightly less or take a vacation day to get the whole day off. What to do thread?

In other news I spent the day up in the slopes and had a banger of a day, despite it being a high of 5F on the hill.

Bad news is that I rolled the passenger side window down to defog the windows at the end of the day and the thing won’t roll back up now. I’m in a two hour drive home in 20F with a 65 mph wind chill.

Is there an IT worker here who can debug my e-Window? Would that I had an old school hand crank window that Just Worked until the handle broke off.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

my job recognizes MLK day as a paid holiday. But also we're a B2B business and none of our clients do and we have to support them. So you work MLK day but they give you a PTO day as compensation for having to work the holiday everyone had to work unless you requested it off.

Its the dumbest way of doing it I could think of

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Predicting an inch of snow so everyone here is planning to be “working from home” Tuesday while enjoying a four day weekend.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I moved into the campus housing today, new job starts tomorrow! Only it doesn't because we're closed for a snow day :toot: Jury's still out if we'll be open Tuesday

Agrikk posted:

I’m pissed because only one of my two jobs honors MLK day. So I either work slightly less or take a vacation day to get the whole day off. What to do thread?

In other news I spent the day up in the slopes and had a banger of a day, despite it being a high of 5F on the hill.

Bad news is that I rolled the passenger side window down to defog the windows at the end of the day and the thing won’t roll back up now. I’m in a two hour drive home in 20F with a 65 mph wind chill.

Is there an IT worker here who can debug my e-Window? Would that I had an old school hand crank window that Just Worked until the handle broke off.

window regulator motor doesn't like the cold I bet. you could pop off the door panel and raise it manually and tape it, or shut a tarp in the door to block the wind

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Agrikk posted:

I tell people that my car with crank windows is for survival, not because I'm cheap. That crank hasn't failed me yet. :smug:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hughmoris posted:

I tell people that my car with crank windows is for survival, not because I'm cheap. That crank hasn't failed me yet. :smug:

i had the crank fail. window regulator busted.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

tehinternet posted:

lmao imagine working somewhere that recognizes MLK day as a paid holiday

:negative:

Same but also Juneteenth. poo poo sucks! Give me my holidays you fuckos

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Gucci Loafers posted:

Anyone see the Cloudflare drama? Someone recorded their own RIF and it went viral. I think it is absolutely wild you can be fired with no benefits for missing arbitrary sales targets and left on the street with no heath insurances or any benefits.

https://x.com/Austen/status/1745654944714363230?s=20

Jesus this triggered me so hard.

gently caress HR and gently caress gigantic corporations like mine.

“You are fired. We are going to say it is your fault but we aren’t going to show you any of the supporting evidence.”

I love how she says, “if you are firing me for no reason just say so.”

And gently caress HR for their non-apology: “We are sorry you feel that way.”

Die head-down in boiling oil you fucks. My company has started firing people in that manner and it’s utter bullshit. If you want to fire people, fire them. But don’t make them think it’s their fault.

edit: also this

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 15, 2024

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

devmd01 posted:

Did exactly this a couple of years ago for an acquisition. Definitely need to release from the previous tenant.

And don’t bother with bittitan if you have SharePoint/Teams to migrate, it doesn’t work and their support is nonexistent. Thankfully I only had three Teams worth of data to move and could do it manually. Email migration works well though.

And for the love of $deity have a comprehensive spreadsheet of what maps to what, DL members, etc. so things don’t go south. In order to release the domain from the tenant, you will have to remove all trace of it and switch everyone to @oldtenant.onmicrosoft .com. That will also be the source address to migrate from with bittitan or whatever tool.

Here is my checklist, hopefully this helps. We had the additional wrinkle of Okta in the middle for iDP and user provisioning:

code:
WEEK PRIOR
	Full User export including aliases
	Full DL export
	Full Shared Mailbox Export w/ permissions 
	Full Teams Export 
	Build translation csvs
	Configure Bittitan Migration Project

COMMUNICATE to ______ users that migration has begun/recovery instructions. Allow 30 min for email delivery to propagate.

MX Record change to Proofpoint

Infosec to validate mail receipt and holding.
Infosec to disconnect proofpoint o365 import from _____ tenant.

Run through Source Tenant Prep for domain removal
	https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mailbox-migration/migrate-mailboxes-across-tenants
Initiate token reset on all accounts in old tenant. 
	https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/sharepoint-online/revoke-spousersession?view=sharepoint-ps

Remove domain from old O365 tenant.

Add domains to new tenant. Validate domain ownership in O365 before next steps.  

Add domain as a federated domain in O365 / Okta configuration.

Validate domain with Okta/O365 Provisioning.

Provision test _____ user into AD from Okta and validate.

Confirm license assignment in O365 via automated methods/push groups.

Validate login process for the test user. 

Provision remaining _____ users to Local AD/O365 / Reapply aliases

Enable Okta automation for group push to O365, validate group population.

DESKTOP Team notification that user migration is complete. Test Mobile/Workstation login

Recreate distribution lists - ADD COMPANY ATTRIBUTE FOR ADDRESS BOOK AUTOMATION
	Recreate Shared Mailboxes w/ permissions
	Recreate 3 key teams groups identified for data migration.

INFOSEC - Force proofpoint sync to update users, etc to pull from new tenant.
	Validate mail flow for the domain. 
	INFOSEC - Release held mail. 

COMMUNICATE - Notify Users that migration is complete. Data migration may take up to 24 hours. 	

BITTITAN - Initiate mailbox/onedrive content copy.
BITTITAN - Initiate shared mailbox content copy.
BITTITAN - Initiate Teams content migration. 

Set email address policies to default 365 group creation to domain.com for _____ users
	https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/solutions/choose-domain-to-create-groups?view=o365-worldwide

Set attributes on distribution lists, etc to add to the _____ Address List in exchange online. Validate population of everyone in Address Lists.
	New-ManagementRoleAssignment -name "Address List Management" -SecurityGroup "Organization Management" -Role "Address Lists" -whatif
	New-GlobalAddressList -Name "_____" -IncludedRecipients AllRecipients -ConditionalCompany "_____" -whatif

We had the luxury of getting everyone created and logged in already in Okta so they could access workday, so it was mostly a matter of enabling them for user automation the rest of the way into AD/AAD and doing the data copy. Friday, they stopped using their old company laptops, and come Monday they all logged into their new autopilot intune machines and got right back to work. The last two items are just details to make it all a little more polished, hopefully you have a company attribute populated. Don't forget SPF records!

My last acquisition was in 21, used BitTitan for email and SharePoint. I wasn't involved in the DD, and was told "we don't have much in SharePoint, it's fine". 8TB and like 250 sites later I got to explain that it's taking so long because Microsoft rate limits you after more than a couple hundred thousand file touches in a 24 period, and no we can't do anything about it. That was a fun two weeks.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i'm gay for docker, where do i go from here.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kubernetes

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

K3s if you want a lean, mean, all-in-one approach to learn the concepts without loving around with all the underlying nuts and bolts.
Kubernetes The Hard Way if you want more late nights getting deep in the guts of it all.
Kubeadm if you'd like something in between.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

so proud

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

Now try podman and marvel at the better workflow and get mad when it breaks because it's not quite ready for prime time.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Thanks for the suggestions all. Anyone have ideas for projects? I was thinking of messing with foss Google assistant like stuff so I can yell at a computer and have it do things

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Write a helm chart to install your poo poo on k3s. I’d go with a media server cause you can’t have enough of those and you’ll deal with pvcs so nfs or something else depending on your poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Write a helm chart to install your poo poo on k3s. I’d go with a media server cause you can’t have enough of those and you’ll deal with pvcs so nfs or something else depending on your poo poo.

I'd do it manually first. Helm is just fine but I feel like it covers up some of the foundations. Especially if one lands on a generic blog post tutorial, it's just someone telling you what to paste into a chart and running the install.

But maybe that's just me. I gotta understand the underpinnings.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Write being keyword. Do it manually first then helm it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Also stop using docker. Use podman or orbstack.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
One of the things that I haven't seen anyone mention about that Cloudflare firing video is the HR lady desperately trying to escape the conversation by telling her that they can't get into details on that call, so she'll have to follow up with them at a later time. This poor woman is fired effective immediately. Nobody from the company is "following up with her later." They will never speak to her again, it's just a lie. As soon as that call ends she's dead to the company.

I understand that this isn't really about her merits as an employee. I understand that they just decided they need to have fewer people. But the dishonesty really grinds.

I could swear I posted something about this, but can't find it -- I've seen it suggested that she is trying to get them on record saying that the firing was not for cause in order to retain a claim to... severance? unemployment? I don't know. And frankly bullshitting like this deserves to be raked over the coals whether there's a practical upside to it or not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, my ex company are a bunch of dickheads but one thing I really appreciated was my severance. I basically got 50 grand to go away.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I see Microsoft 365 co-pilot is now generally available (at $30/mo/per user).

I have not been following it at all but I know I’ll be tasked with coming up with justification for or against the feature over the next few days.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cyks posted:

I see Microsoft 365 co-pilot is now generally available (at $30/mo/per user).

I have not been following it at all but I know I’ll be tasked with coming up with justification for or against the feature over the next few days.

If you find something worthwhile let us know. I mainly stick to Excel and Outlook these days but I can't think of an AI feature that I'd pay $5 for, much less $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

If you find something worthwhile let us know. I mainly stick to Excel and Outlook these days but I can't think of an AI feature that I'd pay $5 for, much less $30.

I'd pay that out of my own pocket for an AI that could write cutting but not actionable email replies to tell the people I support to stop sucking.

I don't expect Copilot meets that need.