Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Doomykins posted:

Getting maybe the best power for raw strength in the game certainly makes up for it and "do the entire round without taking even two M1s" is a tall order for survivors. :v:

As a bad Oni player myself if you miss with the power then he's outclassed by the likes of Clown, lol.

I suck at both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Doomykins posted:

New Otz Tier List dropped today, vindication for those warning us of the rise of Wraith: Middle of B Tier after an eternity in C Tier!

Blight unchanged because of his base strength, Nemesis almost at C tier as the entire game gets power crept past him and Freddy officially the weakest killer. Looks like Pyramid Head leapt into the big leagues too, though likely from changes to the game since I don't recall him getting any buffs in the last year.

Bear in mind this tier list does not include ptb changes though otz mentions in the beginning how he thinks the killers in the ptb will change. Specifically of blight he said that blights current new add ons make him even stronger than before but he suspects they'll be nerfed before live making blight remain more or less exactly where he is now.

But the point is, Otz does indeed think the current ptb blight add ons are too strong (and better than current live blight)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kwolok posted:

But the point is, Otz does indeed think the current ptb blight add ons are too strong (and better than current live blight)

nobody could have possibly seen this one coming

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

As a console oni enjoyer who can't do insane flicks (console max is about 90 degrees far as i can tell) even though you can't quite do the same demon run hits you can still git good enough to get hits on 90 degree angle walls, you still shred thru pallets, you still have 50/50s that can down healthy survivors at a pallet, and your skillset is still, as otz put it so well, such as when you have your power survivors can put themselves in an unwinnable situation quick. About half my oni matches end with a slugged team at 2 gens when I'm at 4 hooks because a downed rescuer/hooked survivor/have power up combo means that unless the other 2 players are communicating on a team or are very experienced, i win.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I had an Oni once rush my hook while someone was trying to rescue me, hit at the exact point I was off the hook so they both downed the unhooker and triggered my BT, then ran me down for a second hit. I remain in complete awe of that one

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I can barely do demon dishes with a gaming mouse with toggled DPI on my PC, you're a mad lad for doing console good lord

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oni is basically the only killer I’ve completely given up trying to play on console. I just get completely schooled every time, he’s not meant to be played with a controller.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

A good Oni is truly a sight to see. He's up there with Billy for killers I'm excited to run into because when he's good, he doesn't usually tunnel/camp because he simply doesn't need to, and it's just super impressive and intimidating to watch him work.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Trying out Plague again. I still dislike that her power is very much controlled by survivors but wow is it satisfying to completely shut down medkits and other healing nonsense. FTP/Buckle Up? I don't think so, friends.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Medullah posted:

I can barely do demon dishes with a gaming mouse with toggled DPI on my PC, you're a mad lad for doing console good lord

I used to think so too, hell i think i even posted about it ages ago. Playing lots of chucky, who has a way more generous (console level) flick window has definitely upped my oni game. It's nowhere near as good as PC, just good enough that the gap isn't so huge i never want to play the killer.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I have so much respect for anyone who plays this on console. I can't even imagine how much more difficult it must be.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I know it's partially trauma from when i was worse at survivor and when Billy was way more busted but gently caress Billy. A god billy didn't require any skill at all, aside from some of the more insane drifts or curves. Just backrev your chainsaw and enjoy your insta downs. I was glad when the overheat mechanic got added. :colbert:

The fastest match I've ever been in as a survivor involved a billy just destroying us in sub 5 minutes lol. At least Nurse has to hit you twice mostly!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Then somewhere in there survivors figured out "He's revving, hold A or D on your keyboard and he isn't hitting poo poo"

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Relyssa posted:

Trying out Plague again. I still dislike that her power is very much controlled by survivors

Genuinely I reccomend Thana. Not to make them cleanse, if they don't want to they never will, but to make not cleansing hurt. Take an apple or the Iri seal and you'll be able to deal with pretty much anyone if you're good with the projectile (and I definitely am not)
I struggled to get her adept until I ran double iri and then suddenly their refusal to cleanse started hurting them instead of me.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I also love playing Plague in such a way that I never use her red stuff. If you play around forcing them to get infected and staying that way, then suddenly it's like everyone is exposed all the time and the world is your oyster. I like the addons that make you infect people super fast or make stuff you barf on last FOREVER. Then just take some fun chase perks like PWYF (which does NOT lose stacks from barfing on them) and good detection like BBQ to top it off.

Remember, don't use her green stuff like a sniper shot. Get really close to them and barf all over them for fast infects rather than pecking them from afar. You want to treat it like a tractor beam that benefits from locking on for as long as you can, not a hatchet.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 16, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

Then just take some fun chase perks like PWYF (which does NOT lose stacks from barfing on them) to top it off.

Green puke, to clarify. Corrupt Purge takes a stack when you ejaculate.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Medullah posted:

Yeah, and that goes for my second paragraph, too. Sniping with the red stuff is fine, but green stuff is all about quantity.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Medullah posted:

Hey, phrasing

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Note: Once PTB is live even green puke should lose a stack when it ticks over to full infected.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Kwolok posted:

Note: Once PTB is live even green puke should lose a stack when it ticks over to full infected.

That's STBFL - PWYF is the one for runspeed and I don't think that received any changes, so it should be okay, I hope.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Ah whoops I get confused when we use acronyms lol

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

curiousTerminal posted:

Genuinely I reccomend Thana. Not to make them cleanse, if they don't want to they never will, but to make not cleansing hurt. Take an apple or the Iri seal and you'll be able to deal with pretty much anyone if you're good with the projectile (and I definitely am not)
I struggled to get her adept until I ran double iri and then suddenly their refusal to cleanse started hurting them instead of me.

I'm awful with the projectile and would love tips and tricks for it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Biggest one is probably that the visual puke you can see on the screen means nothing, your puke hitboxes are actually a bunch of smaller circles chained together (like invisible, smaller Huntress hatchets). It's entirely possible for survivors to just go between the hitboxes while on your screen it looks like they should be getting puked on

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also the projectiles are slow, so think of it as dragging a chain that’s wrapped around your head. You really need to lead your target as the projectile isn’t going to catch up with your cursor all that fast

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Besides the obvious pick of Thana, what do Plague fans tend to run these days for perks?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dying Light is a funny option since the Obsession can’t get as much value from it since they won’t be healing teammates

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1747287663139279339?s=20

Game must be hurting for players

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'll happily take it. I'm running low on shards again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

Game must be hurting for players

People haven't really stopped being unhappy, even as Chucky brought some folks back.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Dawgstar posted:

People haven't really stopped being unhappy, even as Chucky brought some folks back.

There are still some pretty fundamental design problems with DBD. This next patch will address one of them but the #1 most effective way to play the game as killer is to still inspect players in lobby, figure out who is the baby survivor, and tunnel them out completely.

Until this is fixed by BHVR a lot of people are going to get tired of this extremely exhausting and unfun loop (at the higher levels)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Yup, I quit playing during the Halloween event, came and did a few Chucky matches and said "Eh, this is still the same boring game" and quit again.

But I'm in a weird funk right now where I don't feel like playing any games at all, maybe I'm getting too old for them finally.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Dawgstar posted:

I just play one or two games to hunt people down and to have my blood be filled with adrenaline and then I leave.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kwolok posted:

There are still some pretty fundamental design problems with DBD. This next patch will address one of them but the #1 most effective way to play the game as killer is to still inspect players in lobby, figure out who is the baby survivor, and tunnel them out completely.

Until this is fixed by BHVR a lot of people are going to get tired of this extremely exhausting and unfun loop (at the higher levels)
Also the disparity between Solo and SWF play. Solo queue is so miserable right now, with players suiciding on first hook and aforementioned tunneling strategies being that much easier since players don’t know when to run interference. poo poo, I took a protection hit for a player getting tunneled and they just stopped and gave up.

They are fixing things that mostly impact solo players like facecamping, but I feel like the game needs something like Clippy popping up for some people.

Genny appears on the corner of the screen “I notice you’re doing jack poo poo. Have you considered doing a gen?”

“I noticed you’re cleansing a dull totem when you have no totem perks. Have you considered not being a greedy, useless piece of garbage?”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I just play one or two games to hunt people down and to have my blood be filled with adrenaline and then I leave.

Honestly that's the best way to do it. I feel for the streamers who I've become friends or at least friendly with have to play this game because if they do anything else their numbers tank but the stream starts with Ghostface tunneling them off hook and then goes downhill from there. I don't blame them for wanting to play Lethal Company.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Tunneling is straight up the #1 best thing to do if you're playing for a win, and always has been. No perk is as powerful as the 3v1. By and large I'd say most of my survivor games aren't complete nightmare sweatfests, but the ones that are stick out more.
Unless bhvr can manage to implement some kind of basekit penalty for hooking the same person 3 times in a row, or a "good behavior" bonus incentive, or something, it's gonna stick around.
I've been saying for a while that the "give props" button needs to reward an iri shard or 5 per use, be more obvious and easy to use, and then the community's self-imposed policing has now provided an actual incentive to play in more fun and engaging ways for the other side. It won't stop tunneling slugging for the 4k etc, but it will at least give a reason for killers to follow that survivor rulebook.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The unhooked should be scooped up by the entity and spit out somewhere else. The killer can try to find them but it'll take time and won't be guaranteed.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

Also the disparity between Solo and SWF play. Solo queue is so miserable right now, with players suiciding on first hook and aforementioned tunneling strategies being that much easier since players don’t know when to run interference. poo poo, I took a protection hit for a player getting tunneled and they just stopped and gave up.

They are fixing things that mostly impact solo players like facecamping, but I feel like the game needs something like Clippy popping up for some people.

Genny appears on the corner of the screen “I notice you’re doing jack poo poo. Have you considered doing a gen?”

“I noticed you’re cleansing a dull totem when you have no totem perks. Have you considered not being a greedy, useless piece of garbage?”

Lmfao

I agree with all the points brought up here - that solo queue is still a real issue (I've been having the most fun I've ever had in duos, as a former solo queue enjoyer, and it truly is incredible how much it tips the scales), and that tunneling is a massive, massive problem. It's honestly laughable how long they've left it in the game when it's such a fundamental flaw.

The toxicity in the game is a real problem rn, and a lot of it comes from optimal, intuitive things like tunneling being unfun for the other side, so they're treated as BM. (And even if you're not tunneling, people will assume you are from things like 'the unhooked survivor ran right into me/was sitting on a gen out in the open injured' because all they see is the guy going down twice in a row.) Which makes survivors act like assholes, which then makes the killers they go against next act like assholes, which makes the survivors they go against next act like assholes, etc. A lot of why I log onto DBD is to have fun, chill games, and you can't have that when one side is gritting their teeth and thinking you're the incarnation of that Buckle Up abusing shithead or toxic tunneling Bubba they just went against.

Like obviously it's okay if you're playing to win, it's a competitive game and people get different things out of it and not everyone's here to chill, but there's a difference between quote unquote "sweating" and "I'm going to take a build designed to make you suffer then jeer in endgame chat".

They NEED meaningful deterrents toward toxicity and to improve positivity somehow. Fixing tunneling is definitely priority #1. I agree that a commendation system would be great, with being able to give some kind of bonus to one player per match. You can make it as anonymous as you have to, just say "someone gave you props". I never had such chill, pleasant, sportsmanlike matches as I did in the week after Overwatch introduced that poo poo.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Kwolok posted:

The unhooked should be scooped up by the entity and spit out somewhere else. The killer can try to find them but it'll take time and won't be guaranteed.

Wouldn't that fit perfectly with the lore of the Entity? An eldritch creature that plays on both side for the sake of a twisted and cruel game?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

lmao I got called "pathtic" by someone extremely mad that their ftp/buckle up/boil over shenanigans didn't work on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

curiousTerminal posted:

Tunneling is straight up the #1 best thing to do if you're playing for a win, and always has been. No perk is as powerful as the 3v1. By and large I'd say most of my survivor games aren't complete nightmare sweatfests, but the ones that are stick out more.
Unless bhvr can manage to implement some kind of basekit penalty for hooking the same person 3 times in a row, or a "good behavior" bonus incentive, or something, it's gonna stick around.
I've been saying for a while that the "give props" button needs to reward an iri shard or 5 per use, be more obvious and easy to use, and then the community's self-imposed policing has now provided an actual incentive to play in more fun and engaging ways for the other side. It won't stop tunneling slugging for the 4k etc, but it will at least give a reason for killers to follow that survivor rulebook.

The only way I really see tunneling going away is if they let dead survivors keep playing the game and earning bloodpoints in some way until 8 hooks (or some other game end-state) happens. Stuff like they can heal other survivors outside of chase, or can work on gens that aren't being regressed, or can Head On lockers a killer passes or poo poo like that. It needs to be entertaining enough for a survivor to feel rewarded after getting tunneled so they don't DC or feel like poo poo, and nightmarish enough that a killer is incentivised to spread hooks so they don't get an invincible rear end in a top hat ruining their ability to kill/pressure the rest of the survivors. Then you remove the ability for survivors to kill themselves on hook so they can't purposefully enter that state.