Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Sandman special they did a little after the first season ended was excellent too, and starred Arthur Darvill, and Derek Jacobi too!

Though Darvill was playing about as far from Rory as you could get in it :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Nightmare in Silver is one where you can feel the floor moving under Gaiman as he's writing his drafts. I wonder if we'll ever see another episode from him, given his writing methodology doesn't seem to really match the needs of TV production.

It's possible. If he's managed to ride out this many productions where things turned sour on him, one bad time working on a show that was foundational to him wouldn't be enough to stop Gaiman from coming back and doing another. But I wouldn't wouldn't blame him if he's turned off on it, too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The Sandman special they did a little after the first season ended was excellent too, and starred Arthur Darvill, and Derek Jacobi too!

Though Darvill was playing about as far from Rory as you could get in it :stonklol:

That episode was such a cool surprise, it was maybe the best one in the season. Jenna Coleman is also good in it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There are a couple instances of The Doctor saying “Twitter” with a twinge of disgust during the Matt Smith years and I like to believe it’s because he knows who eventually buys it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
It was dumb, but I did like the bit in kill the moon when one of the school girls mentions posting about this on tumblr and the future astronaut woman goes "My gran used tumblr"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh yeah, Kate Stewart mentioned people were posting images of the cubes to Flickr in Power of Three and it seemed so quaint.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Bicyclops posted:

He has a pretty heavy hand on Sandman and it's good IMO. I honestly think that the Cybermen just aren't in his wheelhouse.

Well it didn't help that Moffat kept changing what was going on for the second half of the season. Clara was originally supposed to be the governess from The Snowman, and the kids were going to be the ones in that episode, and the whole Impossible Girl thing was not really something Gaiman had included and had to be adjusted.

Not to mention they seriously slashed the budget. I got to ask Gaiman about it like three days after it aired, and he was told me about the "upgrade" to be water resistant wasn't in the script and was supposed to be Cyberman after Cyberman getting electrocuted and dying, until enough had died that it formed a bridge for the still alive ones, which is so much cooler but he said the budget was not in the cards. That whole conversation was wild because the episode was brand new and Gaiman was very polite but very firm that it wasn't his favorite.

I truly do think his experience on that episode, and then his experience with the showrunners on American Gods are why he is now showrunning Good Omens and the upcoming Anansi Boys show, plus co-showrunning Sandman.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If only the Ninth Doctor asked Rose if she had stairs in her house....

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

If only the Ninth Doctor asked Rose if she had stairs in her house....

but knowing Doctor Who, the stairs wouldn't be stairs, but some sort of ancient alien being forced to hide in human homes, and when you notice him the stairs disappear

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

but knowing Doctor Who, the stairs wouldn't be stairs, but some sort of ancient alien being forced to hide in human homes, and when you notice him the stairs disappear

That sounds like a terrible secret.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

That sounds like a terrible secret.
Of space? Or... time? :smug:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well it didn't help that Moffat kept changing what was going on for the second half of the season. Clara was originally supposed to be the governess from The Snowman, and the kids were going to be the ones in that episode, and the whole Impossible Girl thing was not really something Gaiman had included and had to be adjusted.

Not to mention they seriously slashed the budget. I got to ask Gaiman about it like three days after it aired, and he was told me about the "upgrade" to be water resistant wasn't in the script and was supposed to be Cyberman after Cyberman getting electrocuted and dying, until enough had died that it formed a bridge for the still alive ones, which is so much cooler but he said the budget was not in the cards. That whole conversation was wild because the episode was brand new and Gaiman was very polite but very firm that it wasn't his favorite.

I truly do think his experience on that episode, and then his experience with the showrunners on American Gods are why he is now showrunning Good Omens and the upcoming Anansi Boys show, plus co-showrunning Sandman.

It's a shame how badly things went with American Gods. It has this promising first season that turned very swiftly into something nobody wanted to work on or watch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
People need to stop hiring Bryan Fuller.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

LividLiquid posted:

Of space? Or... time? :smug:

To the time machine! We haven't much... Space?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Idris-TARDIS

Well, I mean, if he can't be Bond...

It could work

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

People need to stop hiring Bryan Fuller.

It's baffling watching people continue to blame somebody else when it happens to literally every show he touches besides Hannibal. Like, yeah, he has a unique style, his shows would all be good if he could keep them on the air, but it's pretty clear that he's the problem!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

It's baffling watching people continue to blame somebody else when it happens to literally every show he touches besides Hannibal. Like, yeah, he has a unique style, his shows would all be good if he could keep them on the air, but it's pretty clear that he's the problem!

Uhhh when what happens? When they get cancelled for low ratings?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

what kind of sucks about Bryan Fuller and American Gods is that the season he ran is the best...but he left it such a shape that it couldn't recover. I never bothered to watch season 3 because of how bad season 2 fell off.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
When he leaves or gets fired for "creative differences".

what kind of sucks about Bryan Fuller and American Gods is that the season he ran is the best...but he left it such a shape that it couldn't recover. I never bothered to watch season 3 because of how bad season 2 fell off.

Yeah. The first season of American Gods was one of my favorite single seasons of a show in the last decade.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Same thing with Dead Like Me, except I think he lasted like 6 episodes. Like Wonderfalls was probably low ratings, but a lot of the time he seems to storm off and take his ball home with him.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nikumatic posted:

When he leaves or gets fired for "creative differences".

He's left three shows. Dead Like Me was a homophobic workplace where an actress was fired for not being attractive enough (or whatever that actually means) and he left in protest along with her. Wrote her final episode and they both left. And American Gods and Star Trek Discovery were clearly horrible places to work given all the other stories that have come out about them from the years after he left.

And maybe he contributed to the culture there, who knows, there's that sexual assault accusation that's come out recently and who knows how that's going to shake out. I'm not gonna defend him on that, who would. However, that said, I think it was pretty clear that Fremantle used him as a scapegoat with American Gods. That second season was hilariously incompetent, and Fuller had nothing to do with it. Gaiman, however, was pretty heavily involved.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's left three shows. Dead Like Me was a homophobic workplace where an actress was fired for not being attractive enough (or whatever that actually means) and he left in protest along with her. Wrote her final episode and they both left. And American Gods and Star Trek Discovery were clearly horrible places to work given all the other stories that have come out about them from the years after he left.

And maybe he contributed to the culture there, who knows, there's that sexual assault accusation that's come out recently and who knows how that's going to shake out. I'm not gonna defend him on that, who would. However, that said, I think it was pretty clear that Fremantle used him as a scapegoat with American Gods. That second season was hilariously incompetent, and Fuller had nothing to do with it. Gaiman, however, was pretty heavily involved.

Gaiman has stated (and it could be untrue, of course) that apart from writing the first episode of Season 2, his involvement was minimal because the new showrunner decided to do his own thing with it and didn't really follow Gaiman's plot.

and Gaiman had almost nothing to do with the third season, to the point where he was upset about it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Leaving three shows is a lot! And yeah, those environments do all sound terrible, but the common element is always Bryan Fuller. From a practical standpoint, if you see his name, wait two seasons to see if it's going to get cancelled on a cliffhanger before picking it up, IMO. Not that I learned this lesson, clearly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gaiman has stated (and it could be untrue, of course) that apart from writing the first episode of Season 2, his involvement was minimal because the new showrunner decided to do his own thing with it and didn't really follow Gaiman's plot.

and Gaiman had almost nothing to do with the third season, to the point where he was upset about it.

Gaiman was briefly installed as showrunner during early development of the second season and then moved out of the role after the first script was completed, forcing one of the other writers to step up last minute.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My rewatch is moving through Season 7. Asylum was great, A Town Called Mercy was much better than I remembered (because I had forgotten everything about it) and even the Chibnall episodes were okay. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was a fun dumb romp, and the first half of Power of Three where it was focused on the Pond family life and Matt Smith's frustration with the concept of inactivity was great but the second half was incredibly dull.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

With the benefit of hindsight, The Power of Three also demonstrates Chibnall's penchant for bringing in an "ancient species" of incredible power/technology that nobody has ever heard of before apart from the Doctor, who proceed to do gently caress all and then never come back again.

The Doctor agonizing over the boring linear passage of time while hanging out with the Ponds was pretty drat great though!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Maybe Doctor Who would benefit from the BBC letting some new blood take over who love the franchise but has never gotten a chance to really have say over it. Maybe someone not related to an executive.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bicyclops posted:

Leaving three shows is a lot! And yeah, those environments do all sound terrible, but the common element is always Bryan Fuller. From a practical standpoint, if you see his name, wait two seasons to see if it's going to get cancelled on a cliffhanger before picking it up, IMO. Not that I learned this lesson, clearly.

this sounds like a great point if you aren't aware of how many TV productions in general are complete and total clusterfucks.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Just occurred to me that the Power Of Three kind of foreshadows Time Of The Doctor, with the Doctor forced to stay in one place for an extended period of time.

Dinosaurs On A Spaceship featured another Chibnall hallmark, introduce a bunch of characters and have them say exciting dialogue, and kind of hope a story happens among all that. Gotta rewatch those drat Flux episodes some time to try and remember what happened in them

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I think heads of big IPs should actually stop hiring fans for the most part, but weirdly it's worked out pretty great for Who.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Who seems like it could be the perfect show for classic long seasons, with a wide variety of writers bringing different stuff that may or may not tie in at all with the seasonal "thing." Sure weave in some episodes to advance the arc of that Doctor, but also just let us see what wild concepts writers can think of to throw at the Doctor and co.

How they do things now you can dip out of whole seasons if you're not that into the main hook because everything will tend to wrap around that in a big way. X-Files had their main story EPS and monsters of the week and on a rewatch that's great because you can skip all the main story that you know goes nowhere interesting in the end and just enjoy the monsters like an anthology series.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Khanstant posted:

Who seems like it could be the perfect show for classic long seasons, with a wide variety of writers bringing different stuff that may or may not tie in at all with the seasonal "thing." Sure weave in some episodes to advance the arc of that Doctor, but also just let us see what wild concepts writers can think of to throw at the Doctor and co.

How they do things now you can dip out of whole seasons if you're not that into the main hook because everything will tend to wrap around that in a big way. X-Files had their main story EPS and monsters of the week and on a rewatch that's great because you can skip all the main story that you know goes nowhere interesting in the end and just enjoy the monsters like an anthology series.

I feel like the struggle with Doctor Who and 'classic long seasons' is budget. Budgets for all kinds of TV production have gone up for all manner of reasons, but for an action show with a bunch of diverse sets like Doctor Who it's largely expanding VFX budgets and on-set shooting. You can't exactly get away with shooting in a warehouse filled with greenery and calling it a jungle when everything's in HD.

I'd also point to Star Trek for comparative evidence that it's not really doable. Trek's much the same sort of show, and actually has way more capacity for bottle episodes thanks to having a lot of standard sets, and they still don't.

I'd love to see people spitball more weirdass episodes of Doctor Who, it's perfect for that sort of variety, but unfortunately the industry isn't really there anymore.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd be happy with bottle episodes and cheap sets, the show is a radio program for me on most rewatches anyhow, a few charismatic people hopping around exotic locations near their filming studio works for me as well as any CGI fest, but I have to accept the reality of this era will not be upping royalty opportunities with cheaper fx budgets for more eps just because it would be neat.

In this reality I am just hoping their spinoff mania won't mean hyper focused mini seasons of the main show. The smaller the season the more I want each chocolate in the box to be distinct from the others above all else.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My plan to watch all the Doctor Who has failed I cannot get through the 1st Doctor. I instead skipped forward to Tom Baker era.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

And skip out on 2 and jamie? For shame.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Hollismason posted:

My plan to watch all the Doctor Who has failed I cannot get through the 1st Doctor. I instead skipped forward to Tom Baker era.

How much did you get through?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

elf help book posted:

How much did you get through?

I got past the Aztecs lmao

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hollismason posted:

Watching them in order is asking for trouble, watch them in a random order

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
At least watch The Time Meddler, that's a really entertaining Hartnell episode

And I echo this sentiment

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

And skip out on 2 and jamie? For shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm really enjoying Tom Baker having never seen his Doctor. I may skip around a bit but Baker is much more enjoyable to watch.