Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

branedotorg posted:

if you see a book below 4-4.2 on goodreads, it's going to be bad, no matter how many geocities era animated gifs you see in the reviews.

The Man Who Was Thursday is a 3.83, Frankenstein a 3.86 and even Kafka's Metamorphosis's the same

that's not right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
yeah if a review is low on goodreads i assume it’s either:
1) being review bombed and/or is involved in some YA drama
2) actually very good but involves conscious effort, patience, or goodwill to appreciate

like famous austrian author adolf hitler is still sitting at 3.18, tied with can xue’s love in the new millennium, that’s sort of a number to keep in mind

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Tree Goat posted:

like famous austrian author adolf hitler is still sitting at 3.18, tied with can xue’s love in the new millennium, that’s sort of a number to keep in mind

* - Better known for other work.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

lifg posted:

* - Better known for other work.

Painting?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is there a Letterboxd but for books? (Well other than this forum) It’d be cool to see all the books I’ve finished in a year and be able to review them.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
LibraryThing and StoryGraph are better features-wise, but GoodReads has the larger userbase.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Yeah, GoodReads is the answer.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is there a Letterboxd but for books? (Well other than this forum) It’d be cool to see all the books I’ve finished in a year and be able to review them.
check out bookworm

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

pre:
books.txt

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Armauk posted:

pre:
books.txt

Just curious, what is books.txt and why is it made in NotePad?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

eightysixed posted:

Just curious, what is books.txt and why is it made in NotePad?

Some benefits: It's available offline, you can format it however you want, you own the data, absolutely no tracking, no one needs to know you read the entirety of A Crown of Thorns and Roses.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Started reading Chain Gang All Stars because, not knowing anything about it, I thought it was some serious, poignant novel about black life in the gang world or something

It’s not that, but uhhh I’m pleasantly surprised because it owns, lots of action

One or those books where I seemed to notice it everywhere and once I saw it in person I had to get a copy, marketing works

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Probably a 3nd of the way in to the second Thursday Murder Club book and while on the bus I had the thought: "Spillane was less fascist".

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

StoryGraph was my answer for the reading logging thing. It has an app and is very lightweight. For me, it’s the book Letterboxd.

I love LibraryThing but I use it to catalogue physical books not to track my reading, so at least for me it’s a different use case.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Has anyone ever read The Dark Island by Robert Barr? I’ve listened to the fantastic BBC Radio adaptation and have questions about it that I’m hoping the book could answer

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hey book barn, long time reader (but not of your sub just like books in general), first time poster. If there's a better thread for this question point me to it.

Does anyone here have any experience with Kubo.com? Humble has a Terry Pratchett bundle that I want to get, but it's fulfilled through Kubo. I don't know what kind of DRM they have and I don't want to be locked into yet another app, and worse it looks like they push their own reader (which from what I can tell is a cheap android tablet) pretty heavily.

Here's what I want:

normal file types (.epub or .mobi ideally) that I can throw at my existing apps and hardware.
The ability to just download the files and stick them on my home server so I can have them on hand without having to remember which digital library I picked them up from.

Basically I want to know how onerous and annoying Kobi's DRM scheme is.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Kobo's DRM is like Kindle's. Their ereaders are actually pretty nice, on par with Kindles, but if you're not into a dedicated ereader then they won't convert you. It's not hard to break the DRM but you would need to download a program and a plugin (Calibre and DeDRM) to do so. Downloading from Kobo will give you a .acsm file for Adobe Digital Editions that has the DRM on it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cyrano4747 if you want help breaking DRM or working calibre let me know! I'm more than willing to help you read books freely.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thanks for the info.

So just to be clear, I'm not getting normal file formats directly from Kobo, but would have to de-DRM it myself. After that would it be good to go as far as formatting etc. goes, or is this one of those situations where you end up with funky paragraphs and chapter headers?

Humerus posted:

Downloading from Kobo will give you a .acsm file for Adobe Digital Editions that has the DRM on it

Am I to gather from this that I'd have to gently caress with Adobe? Because I really want to avoid having anything to do with Adobe, my god they suck.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm pleased that you are asking about how to use files you are purchasing, but breaking DRM seems to be getting close to :filez: but I'm a dumbass so I'm happy to be wrong also gently caress our capitalist corporate overlords and all

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bilirubin posted:

I'm pleased that you are asking about how to use files you are purchasing, but breaking DRM seems to be getting close to :filez: but I'm a dumbass so I'm happy to be wrong also gently caress our capitalist corporate overlords and all

afaik removing DRM from something you've purchased yourself is not illegal. It's when sharing/distributing it that becomes an issue. The only sin you're committing by removing DRM is breaking whatever end user licence agreement you completely scrolled past and accepted when you signed up for an Amazon or Kobo account.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Thanks for the info.

So just to be clear, I'm not getting normal file formats directly from Kobo, but would have to de-DRM it myself. After that would it be good to go as far as formatting etc. goes, or is this one of those situations where you end up with funky paragraphs and chapter headers?

Am I to gather from this that I'd have to gently caress with Adobe? Because I really want to avoid having anything to do with Adobe, my god they suck.

Unless there's a way I'm not aware of, yes. The flow is Download .acsm from Kobo, open that in Adobe Digital Editions, which creates an epub that I can then import into Calibre where the DRM is stripped. It's the same as downloading (most) books from Google Play so I was already familiar with how to do it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thanks for the info.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's there a TBB book club? Because if so, I have a new book recommendation -

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1749477989018948088

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

There is a book club, and why the hell would we want to read something that advertises itself as full of hate?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Is it about facing and destroying a series of archons

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

There is a book club, and why the hell would we want to read something that advertises itself as full of hate?

And sounds poo poo

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

StrixNebulosa posted:

It was meant as a joke. :negative:

The book sounds like a terrible mess.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

It was meant as a joke. :negative:

The book sounds like a terrible mess.

Jokes, in my dead gay forum? Hell no!

Anyway that book reminds me of “How I won a Nobel Prize” which I *think* has the same premise (haven’t read it, but it’s on my list), but apparently, it’s good

https://www.littlebrown.com/titles/julius-taranto/how-i-won-a-nobel-prize/9780316513074/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

101 posted:

afaik removing DRM from something you've purchased yourself is not illegal. It's when sharing/distributing it that becomes an issue. The only sin you're committing by removing DRM is breaking whatever end user licence agreement you completely scrolled past and accepted when you signed up for an Amazon or Kobo account.

I understand and appreciate what you are saying, but in reviewing the Book Barn rules after this discussion, you will note this is expressly mentioned as a no go. So unless in discussion with admins its decided this really isn't a problem for the site I'm going to have to insist this line of conversation be dropped going forward.

On the other hand, goon written book Exordia just out today is offered free from DRM, so its nice to see authors and publishers addressing this issue of inter platform transferability of materials we purchase.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Fwiw I believe Tor.com (which may or may not have been renamed) does not put DRM on their books at all, though I assume Amazon still puts their own on them. I just know when I buy from Play Books if it's a Tor.com published book, I actually just download an epub instead of the .acsm file like other books.

It all just sucks, I remember when MP3 files all had fractured and lovely DRM and then iTunes moved in, unified the DRM and then eventually they stopped having DRM altogether...just in time for streaming to take off. I just think ebooks are too niche to really call for that sort of overhaul unfortunately.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I was kinda shocked that the DRM on the kindle books I bought was so bad that I couldn't even open them up on my new Kindle without doing some account stuff and I can't open them up in Calibre.

So the answer became clear: never buy an ebook again

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

I was kinda shocked that the DRM on the kindle books I bought was so bad that I couldn't even open them up on my new Kindle without doing some account stuff and I can't open them up in Calibre.

So the answer became clear: never buy an ebook again

The promise of ebooks has been largely unfulfilled imo. I mean, they're... "ok", at best, just another format to read, but everything around them kinda... sucks. The DRM, the price (sometimes more expensive than a physical copy!), the lock-in (can't lend or borrow), crappy default typography (which tbh is kinda bad, even if Amazon has improved a bit on this front), crappy editions (good luck reading a badly formatted ebook). Some parts of ebooks (official versions!) can even be outright broken, like footnotes. Even the screens haven't improved much, just a mediocre gray unevenly lit screen (backlit, if you're lucky). Slow "page turns". Etc.

E-books stormed out of the gates decades ago, but then... largely sat there, without any progress.

For example, anyone with an ebook containing a large number of images knows it sucks to read on a traditional b&w e-reader (besides being slow, looks bad, in grayscale). Compare that to what Stripe press did with this ebook, Poor Charlie's Almanack:

https://www.stripe.press/poor-charlies-almanack/cover

Obviously e-books have been very good for self-published authors, and for that alone I give them a pass, but after being a big fan of ebooks when the first kindle came out, today I kinda regret not buying more physical editions.

Oh, also immediate lookup of a word is very nice too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A lot of people just put out really poor ebooks, and they tend to stay bad because there is not a huge public outcry for someone to make a slightly-nicer ebook of Terry Pratchett's books the way there's a demand for fancy print editions of his works.

There generally isn't even a way to get updates with typos corrected!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I understand all of your points, and it makes total sense. :)
Having said all of that, I love my 10th Generation Paperwhite. :h:
I’m sort of an insomniac, so I can quietly read with no light at 3am and not disturb the girlfriend until it’s time to go back to sleep. v:shobon:v

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The promise of ebooks has been largely unfulfilled imo. I mean, they're... "ok", at best, just another format to read, but everything around them kinda... sucks. The DRM, the price (sometimes more expensive than a physical copy!), the lock-in (can't lend or borrow), crappy default typography (which tbh is kinda bad, even if Amazon has improved a bit on this front), crappy editions (good luck reading a badly formatted ebook). Some parts of ebooks (official versions!) can even be outright broken, like footnotes. Even the screens haven't improved much, just a mediocre gray unevenly lit screen (backlit, if you're lucky). Slow "page turns". Etc.

All of this is true, but there is one thing that I do love about e-books, and that is that I can carry around an entire loving library on the device that I already have in my pocket for calling people and browsing the forums while taking a poo poo.

I will be the first person to recognize that I really, really should have gotten a dedicated reader years ago, but I still prefer physical copies when I can get them for most "serious" reading. But gently caress around time sitting in a subway or on an airplane? Man, it's nice to not have to carry an extra thing around.

Which is a big part of why I seek out copies without much in the way of DRM, because it's much easier for me to manage for me with my habits that don't include anyone's bespoke hardware.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Well yeah, the whole library thing is also an excellent point.

Can’t my Kindle hold like 4,000 ebooks?
And that’s only with 3GB available for use after the OS.

Good lord a phone could hold The Library of Congress :stare:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You can download the entire Wikipedia on your phone with some caveats.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bilirubin posted:

I understand and appreciate what you are saying, but in reviewing the Book Barn rules after this discussion, you will note this is expressly mentioned as a no go. So unless in discussion with admins its decided this really isn't a problem for the site I'm going to have to insist this line of conversation be dropped going forward.

Fair enough. My apologies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Megazver posted:

You can download the entire Wikipedia on your phone with some caveats.

sweet, gonna skip the caveats & download even more then!