Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GD_American posted:

Meet Henry James. He is so stinkin' cute.

That’s a good looking dog right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

GD_American posted:

I want to hug him :kimchi:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Saw a cool phenomenon this morning. I had a T-shirt inside of some pull over thing and as I pulled the T-shirt out, it created a bunch of static sparks. This in turn lit up the cfl bulb on my night stand. Apparently you can use static electricity to light fluorescent bulbs from even a foot away, pretty cool.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Grittybeard posted:

My brother in law has this and I'm like, dude you can't eat soup? Like a basic mirepoix can apparently mess him up.

Weirdest thing. He's fine with other spices and veggies of all sorts, just carrots are a problem for some reason.

Thats weird. I didn't realize it was a thing with other people until my father brought up that he had it too a few years ago, and I figured it was just some genetic thing. Kiddo has said she doesn't like them either because they make her throat feel weird.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

Awww. Now that is a cute doggo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It's snowing at my house today :peanut:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

GD_American posted:

Goodness gracious

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Life in the south: my kids school has already been closed for tomorrow, not for snow but for cold temperatures. The high is 33 and the low is 20

GD_American posted:

:stwoon:

Can't wait to meet his son Indiana

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

GD_American posted:

Ahhhhhh

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Intruder posted:

Life in the south: my kids school has already been closed for tomorrow, not for snow but for cold temperatures. The high is 33 and the low is 20

Chicago cancelled classes because it's supposed to be 0 tomorrow, but we'll probably be back on Wednesday when it gets back to the teens.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Is it true that you have to make snow days up at the end of the year in May/June?

That sucks rear end lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BlindSite posted:

Raw carrots are good. Cooked. Eh.

Cooked carrots are only good as an ingredient in other things.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Is it true that you have to make snow days up at the end of the year in May/June?

That sucks rear end lol

Back in my day the school year just had a few days built in. But yeah, miss enough and schools add an extra week or whatever at the end. Always fun for seniors who super don't care by that point.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

Back in my day the school year just had a few days built in. But yeah, miss enough and schools add an extra week or whatever at the end. Always fun for seniors who super don't care by that point.

Florida used to do something similar for days missed for hurricanes. They'd change the half-days or teacher work days to normal school days to make up, and if somehow that wasn't enough, they'd tack on more at the end of the year. I think we only had that one time when I went to school, 2005-06, when we lost 2 full weeks to Hurricane Wilma alone plus other days from other storms.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

fartknocker posted:

Florida used to do something similar for days missed for hurricanes. They'd change the half-days or teacher work days to normal school days to make up, and if somehow that wasn't enough, they'd tack on more at the end of the year. I think we only had that one time when I went to school, 2005-06, when we lost 2 full weeks to Hurricane Wilma alone plus other days from other storms.

Yup, it sucked in college because there was a lot of poo poo (depending on class) that had to be leanred on your own. Also, my MCAT was delayed by a hurricane, and this was when they were only given twice a year and on paper. So everyone who missed got a special exam 6 weeks later that ended up being harder than the original exam, so they actually sent letters with our applications saying our scores should be adjusted upwards by 2 points for admission purposes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

a neat cape posted:

That sucks rear end lol

If they miss enough of them. My kid’s school calendar has like a week of days in June they use if they close enough times.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

I laughed glancing at the list here of closings running before the game and it's basically 'if you attend a school of any sort it is closed tomorrow.'

Again probably mostly for low temperatures although there's a snow on the ground, although we're -5 when people would be going to school and get to a high of 14 in the afternoon. Not the worst compared to other places, but worse than people are used to dealing with.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also, going back to generator talk, I am not sure what to get after reading a bit. I mainly want to power four things, two of which I could do with a battery backup. I want my fridge and deep freeze to keep going, but I can always but them on a battery which is cheap and easy. The harder thing is the furnace and the well pump. The furnace is propane powered but still needs electricity to run. Without the well pump, we have no running water in the house. Those two things would ideally be on an automatic switch as well, especially the heat. I don't think I need anything major, and they some generators can run off propane, so I could just tie it into that tank I guess. Still seems like an investment though.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Just got a text that our office (Social Security) is closed to the public and we're working from home tomorrow.

I'm starting to change my mind about telework.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Andrew_Ravens/status/1746908323155153400

Seeing the hand of salvation coming at you and it's Hollywood Hogan wearing the black and white nWo shirt

What a fever dream

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: wrong thread

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

When a car’s crashing now and the Hulk’s insiiiide

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Intruder posted:

My employer is based in Texas, and I've gotten multiple emails about office closures there due to inclement weather. It sounds like Austin did get some freezing rain yesterday, but the extreme temperatures do seem to be the major bugbear.

Definitely understand the different definitions of extreme cold, but it is funny seeing those when it didn't get above 0F here yesterday. My favorite part was pulling up their weather alerts and one of them is a hard freeze warning on January 15th

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Work’s closed, school’s closed, maybe some flurries tonight. Might get to 18 in the next day or so.

Any time we have a school and work closure my dad has us over for French toast so :dance:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Work’s closed, school’s closed, maybe some flurries tonight. Might get to 18 in the next day or so.

Any time we have a school and work closure my dad has us over for French toast so :dance:

The downside of working from home is work is never closed :v:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Intruder posted:

They did send some school work home for tomorrow, which is bullshit. Give the kids a day off man.

Meanwhile I’m on call for an office that is closed today and tomorrow.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

We haven’t had a real “everything’s closed” day for either snow or hurricanes since COVID, but we basically canceled a day last fall because the daycare asked us to keep kids home because it was supposed to be a bad typhoon.

It didn’t really hit and we had the only child out for that grade :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Silly Burrito posted:

They did send some school work home for tomorrow, which is bullshit. Give the kids a day off man.

Meanwhile I’m on call for an office that is closed today and tomorrow.

If they're going to have to make up the day later it's absolutely bs they gave the kids homework.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I started watching The Leftovers since so many people say it is the best show ever, after bouncing off of it when it aired live. I just finished season 1, does something actually happen? It is kind of boring.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 16, 2024

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Speaking of leftovers, I made stracotto tonight while I was watching the Steelers game. Turned out great, even after I got a little impatient with all the reducing my recipe was calling for and ended up skipping most of a step.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pain of Mind posted:

I started watching The Leftovers since so many people say it is the best show ever, after bouncing off of it when it aired live. I just finished season 1, does something actually happen? It is kind of boring.

I bounced off of it too. Supposedly it gets much better after season 1 from what people say, but you can't take my word for it since I don't know.

e: I'm a sucker for religious/cult/etc bullshit too and I still bounced off of it, I don't know how they screwed it up so much.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

It does get better, but I never really thought that highly of the show. Didn’t quite understand why it got so much praise, people talk like it’s one of the best shows ever made and I was mostly annoyed by it.

It gets weirder, which does make it a little more interesting.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Lookit dis Good Boy

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That dog has some soulfull eyes

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It’s super cold out, so that means time to watch The Thing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lookit dis Good Boy

That good boy looks like he need some head scratches :3:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That good boy looks entirely too sad. Treats. stat.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bird in a Blender posted:

It does get better, but I never really thought that highly of the show. Didn’t quite understand why it got so much praise, people talk like it’s one of the best shows ever made and I was mostly annoyed by it.

It gets weirder, which does make it a little more interesting.

Count me among those who thought seasons 2 and 3 were the best thing on TV. Season 1 is a tough hang, though.

I think I’ve said before, but the latter two seasons of The Leftovers are like all best aspects of Lost with none of the bullshit, whereas Westworld (all seasons) is all of Lost’s bullshit with none of the good.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 16, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lookit dis Good Boy

I am lookitin as hard as I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Feels like I walked in on meeting I'm not supposed to be in.