Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Winning the lotto and buying a giant pool of Yogo to swim in, Scrooge McDuck style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Aware posted:

I always just figured Fogo was some kind of scam

Oh I'm sure it is - I'd almost guarantee that the compost they get out the other end is too full of plastic and crap for the saleable product to make the program worthwhile

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fogo makes me feel better so it's worth it
Also it made all the cookers in the Yarra Ranges freak out about 15 minute cities or something when it came in a few months ago so it's worth it for that also

I saw one of the little Fogo bins nailed to a tree with NO painted on it the other day. I think they're partly mad that normal waste is fortnightly now.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 15, 2024

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
They crucified a fogo bin....

I mean, what kind of timeline are we on nowadays?

I'm guessing that the fortnightly general waste bins are the bigger 240l bins? A 120 (which we have here) wouldn't stand a chance if it was every two weeks. Our recycle and green bin are the big ones but general waste is babies first garbage bin.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
The only clever thing I've done in years is add the recycling day to my phone calendar, and then tell it to repeat fortnightly for eternity. I'm hosed when I more or they change the schedule though.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I mean I definitely have no evidence that it is, I just assumed someone was making bank out of pushing it into councils and strata and poo poo.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My missus has been to one of the big compost facilities near Melbourne so they do exist. I don't know how much fogo end up in them with the big expansion in the last year.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
wtf is fogo? Am I being pranked?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Food organics garden organics
You get a little bin for your kitchen with biodegradable bags and chuck the bags in the big green bin with garden waste, so it can get composted instead of landfilled

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
councils around here don't allow "biodegradable" bags in the green bin, youre meant to raw dog it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

EoinCannon posted:

Food organics garden organics
You get a little bin for your kitchen with biodegradable bags and chuck the bags in the big green bin with garden waste, so it can get composted instead of landfilled

To sell the compost?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Everything goes to landfill in NSW regardless of the bin colour.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
The council here gives away the compost it makes from the green bins, which only slightly distracts people from whinging about potholes and the lack of kerbside trash pickup.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Whoforthenwhat posted:

They crucified a fogo bin....

I mean, what kind of timeline are we on nowadays?

I'm guessing that the fortnightly general waste bins are the bigger 240l bins? A 120 (which we have here) wouldn't stand a chance if it was every two weeks. Our recycle and green bin are the big ones but general waste is babies first garbage bin.

Yeah nah they're still 80/120l for general waste. It's working fine for me living on my own but I'm guessing anyone else would be right hosed and infinitely more so if you've got kids in nappies.
Think the protip to survive is to just not buy anything from Woolies/Coles because they love their crap packaging that doesn't actually recycle.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Keep chooks start your own compost

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Kharnifex posted:

Keep chooks start your own compost

Yeah just buy a house lol

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Lube Enthusiast posted:

…? How long has the background of my av been white instead of transparent?! Why did no one tell me, it’s looks hosed!

Hey your avatar is white

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Our general waste bin basically only had nappies and cat litter in it and both pretty minimally. Everything else was compost, green waste, glass or recycling, and we took soft plastics to the Redcycle bins. Felt very virtuous.

Then Redcycle turned out to be a massive scam and our waste bin is entirely soft plastics again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bald Stalin posted:

councils around here don't allow "biodegradable" bags in the green bin, youre meant to raw dog it.

what the

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Kharnifex posted:

Everything goes to landfill in NSW regardless of the bin colour.

Well, NSW is a trash state, so this makes sense

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Biodegradable is not the same as compostable

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Otto

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

You gotta gently caress the compost

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Certainly one way to aerate it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Looks like they're replacing those bubble wrap packages with ones filled with the contests of a vacuum cleaner bag. Don't rip anything open anymore unless you want to spray dust everywhere.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you had to sample the bin juice, which colour bin would you drink? Red, yellow, or green?

Note: the green bin has dog poo poo in it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

it's honest work

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

buddy

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Biodegradable is not the same as compostable

Compostable bags are not allowed here either.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Bald Stalin posted:

Compostable bags are not allowed here either.

That seems wrong but I do not doubt that for commercial purposes 'compostable' does not mean able to be composted lol

Either that or whatever method doesn't like them for some reason? Green waste here is just chipped into a huge pile with the most beautiful giant chipper I've ever seen and left and flipped by dudes in big bulldozers

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Sometimes I just make eye contact with the dude on the chipper in the hope he will notice me

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Infinitum posted:

If you had to sample the bin juice, which colour bin would you drink? Red, yellow, or green?

Note: the green bin has dog poo poo in it

Yellow no question. A lot of it might be beer from empty beer bottles.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's annoying because you gotta have some garden waste already in the green bin for the kitchen stuff to sit on otherwise it gets nasty requiring more regular cleaning.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
biodegradable bags just break down in to microplastics, lol. compostable bags require hot composting at 55c or above which should be fine in a commercial or industrial facility so I don't know what they're bitching about there.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Looks like they're replacing those bubble wrap packages with ones filled with the contests of a vacuum cleaner bag. Don't rip anything open anymore unless you want to spray dust everywhere.

Same for padded envelopes. Those things go off like a glitter bomb of lint and dust if you tear them the wrong way.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

you will burn your dick or other loving appendage. do not recommend.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Bald Stalin posted:

The flats around here use the community garden space

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Theres other loving appendages?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bald Stalin posted:

I rented two different properties in Sydney with Chooks. can be done, but do not recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Theres other loving appendages?

there's lots of genders now and some of them might gently caress with something i don't know about, wanted to be inclusive.