Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the real pros gain access to a time machine to buy excal prime, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estel
May 4, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

:suspense:

Is there any reason to hold on to Excalibur now that I've unlocked Umbra?

Prop Wash posted:

There is a reason - some people prefer the original because the original can’t get downed while you’re out spoilermoding around. And the special thing is cool but I don’t find it super impactful. But as with any frame it mostly just depends on how much you like playing them, how many empty frame slots you have and how hungry Helminth is.

Also Umbra is more limited in what builds you can make due to the umbra polarities.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

I've got some friends getting back into Warframe who are about to hit Steel Path. What are some comedy weapons/frames/builds I can bring that are kinda silly, but can still carry them through early Steel Path?

So far I'm thinking Kompressa for the status priming bubbles that randomly draft enemies into the Tenno space program, and Citrine for support and ORBS.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Agents are GO! posted:

:suspense:

Is there any reason to hold on to Excalibur now that I've unlocked Umbra?

Main one as mentioned by others is that Excal doesn't die when you go spoiler mode in SP, which is kind of convenient.

After that, for me, it was also my starter frame, I wasn't going to helminth it. I built a new one and helminthed that instead. :colbert:

I returned to Excal a few months ago, and he's still a lot of fun. Blue shards for armour do wonder to bring him up to speed with the modern game, and after that his kit is fine, though I often helminth Exalted Blade (sacrilege!) as unless I specifically mod for it, it's just underwhelming compared to a modern melee weapon. I like to run Daikyu and the Zaw Nikana w/Exodia Contagion. The Daikyu amalgam mod gives leech health to the Nikana which is handy on a melee frame. The Furious Javelin mod makes for some silly melee damage, and Exodia Contagion makes up for the lack of big aoe numbers from the Daikyu.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

I'm just a bit surprised to see forma so high. Like, yeah, it's an important resource, but personally I didn't care for it until very very late. Crafting new frames with my precious few orokin cells was more important than formaing one, particurlarly as I barely had the endo to fill in a rare potatoed frame with good mods.

That said, that was a long time ago, I guess progress is a lot faster these days than when I soloed my way through the star chart with an unpotatoed Excal and Broken War.

I rarely used forma early on but one thing that helped a lot is regularly doing relics for the forma blueprints. Since you're limited to making one per day you want a steady supply before you need them since you can't just grind them all at once when you start needing them.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Estel posted:

This is a list of most systems in the game. The only thing missing is the newest stuff with the Whispers in the Wall content.

Check where you are in that list or what do you want to get and check the wiki or ask here or ingame.

I feel dizzy looking at this, but I'll keep pushing on the story and I'll rejoin the goon clan again. I have a new baby so I don't think I've got the time for even a 1/10th of this but I enjoy what time I do have

edit: oh poo poo I'm still in the goon clan, nevermind

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 14, 2024

Estel
May 4, 2010
Don't worry too much about the list, if you can keep doing things just keep going. Once you get stuck you can check on the list how you can improve your power, do you have catalyst and reactors on your favourite warframes and weapons? do you have your mods upgraded? do you have formas to improve your builds? do you have dual mods to optimize the builds? and go along the list to check where you are in it and what you can do to get more things to play with.

Think about it more like setting goals to accomplish instead of a "you have to do this in this order" kind of thing. If you feel everything is fine with your builds and you don't need dual mods or adapters and instead want to get the necramech or try for kuva/tenet weapons just do it. Certain things will be easier or harder depending on how many things you have access but warframe is not a hard game and there are hundreds of ways you can completely break it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Everything from 13 down on that list ranges from difficult to The Endgame(c) and you'll stop needing the list long before you get there. Multifarm everything because it's all fun and new and there's a thousand things to get. There's plenty of time later for you become a bittervet grinding the latest super painful, pre-multiple-fix-patches content on day one trying for that 1% drop of sweet, sweet dopamine.

On the topic of things like corrupted mods or necramechs or whatever thing DE is currently screwing you on: weaponize the clan. I think there's still some crossplay weirdness going on but they're pushing pretty hard on it so everyone should hopefully be able to play together. No point in being blocked on something when someone else has 20 of the thing rotting away.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Reading that list reminds me of a guy that keeps claiming he's bored of Warframe cause every time he'd get a new weapon he's run to that one defence node with the pod that goes up and down, and then grind it to 30 imeadiately. And refuses to pick it back up because of that.

And it just reminds me that the best way to farm is to try to set two goals at a time while farming, like work on a weapon while doing a part grind, or if you're going relic unlocking try to hit nodes that fulfill Nora conditions. Sometimes you can't help but focus on one thing, but logic has helped me from burning out a few times.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, you can't really get a weapon's vibe if you just passively level it. I only do the fast stuff for my first pass through a frame, since you definitely want some fancier mods if you want to really see what it can do.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Meanwhile I’m trying to get debt-bonds by doing the first stage and aborting. There’s not much else to combine it with. Even the affinity gains are low on that farm.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Lord Wexia posted:

Meanwhile I’m trying to get debt-bonds by doing the first stage and aborting. There’s not much else to combine it with. Even the affinity gains are low on that farm.

When you get started with Debt bonds, you want to visit Ticker regularly and buy what you need from him. Over time, you'll accumulate plenty of each, but early on, it's worth just buying them rather than being locked with Solaris ranking.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ticker's a lady, and yeah you need to visit her regularly, she's a good addition to doing bounties.

My main commentary is that the Fortuna progression sucks rear end and I would be very happy to never see it again.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

SIGSEGV posted:

Ticker's a lady, and yeah you need to visit her regularly, she's a good addition to doing bounties.

My main commentary is that the Fortuna progression sucks rear end and I would be very happy to never see it again.

Seriously it's so fuckin lame

The hunting changes have made getting standing super easy to get too so you end up getting enough standing to level up waaaaay before getting the necessary debt bonds

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

free hubcaps posted:

Seriously it's so fuckin lame

The hunting changes have made getting standing super easy to get too so you end up getting enough standing to level up waaaaay before getting the necessary debt bonds

Yeah, the fact that Medical bonds are so loving rare is just... so loving weird. None of the later factions are that stingy, only Fortuna and those loving bonds. DE should really go back and either make them more reliably available from Ticker, or drop more frequently or, better yet, BOTH. poo poo's stupid.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Except I’m a returning player so I have spent my entire credit stash on stuff released since I last played. I’m down to like $160k so purchasing debt-bonds is out even if the ones I need are available.

However, at least when I am max standing trying to get bonds, I can spend my excess on mods from The Business or MOA pieces to tide me over until I get the bonds I need.

Edit: Speaking of MOA, is there a good config worth keeping? I was just going to make 1-1-1-1, 2-1-1-1, etc. just for the mastery but if there’s one worth keeping around I’d like to make that one legit and dump the rest.

Lord Wexia fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 15, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Index will help you build up a credit stash pretty quickly, a few good rounds and you'll have over a million to your name and not have to worry about it again for a while

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Lord Wexia posted:

Edit: Speaking of MOA, is there a good config worth keeping? I was just going to make 1-1-1-1, 2-1-1-1, etc. just for the mastery but if there’s one worth keeping around I’d like to make that one legit and dump the rest.

There's a couple of configs that let you use the bond mod for +60% fire rate on every frame with only calculated redirection (doesn't rely on link shields), I'll check mine in a minute. This is what I like to do with my companion and I like to use moa, but you have other options.

EDIT: There are a bunch of moa configs that let you get enough, any combination with 350 shields or higher can. This isn't unique to moas, as here are other companions that get enough shields:
-Kubrows (including helminth charger) except Sahasa and Chesa (dig and scavenge type)
-Nearly all hounds, only garmr-urga and raiju-urga cannot
-Wyrm Prime
-All predasites
-All vulpahyla

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 15, 2024

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Am I mid-remembering or was feeding duplicate mods to the same mod to upgrade it a thing? It seems like now it’s just credits+endo to upgrade a mod and dupes can be turned into credits or endo. I hope I didn’t blow it by turning my 300 redirections into credits. I still have like 25k or something endo laying around.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I have no idea how things were in 2013, but that sounds plausible. Definitely hasn't been like that in a while. No, turning your 300 redirections into credits will not matter. You'll get a thousand more redirections anyway and eventually just the process of converting mods into endo/credits is too much effort for the tiny amount they turn into. That's really more of a very, very early game thing.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Yes, you use to fuse duplicates together to level mods up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Lord Wexia posted:

Nah, I'd probably go a little shield-heavy, but I don't think it's a huge deal since the MOA mods are interchangable and the stats are pretty minor changes overall. You do have to build one of each model to get all of them, so I'd figure out which head you want to use and do that one for your final.

I ended up making a Lehan/Tyli/Nychus/Hona just because I liked how it looked for my final one (SIGKILL). Then the Ki'teer skin came out and welp.

I'm partial to Hard Engage and Anti-Grav Grenade. Duplex Bond is fun, too. But actually, yeah, with Reinforced Bond, more shield more better. Drex/Harpen or Drex/Phazor are the highest shield.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 15, 2024

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Continued pushing on the story, I'm in The Sacrifice and I need to deplete Umbra shields but it seems like the only thing that will do it is my Operator weapon. What's the best way to level up my Operator abilities? This poor kid gets zeroed in two hits and Umbra is fast as hell.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Continued pushing on the story, I'm in The Sacrifice and I need to deplete Umbra shields but it seems like the only thing that will do it is my Operator weapon. What's the best way to level up my Operator abilities? This poor kid gets zeroed in two hits and Umbra is fast as hell.

Yeah come back and finish that quest after you get one of the Amps from the Quills at Cetus, makes it much easier. The default mote amp it pretty bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mote amp is a pathetic joke weapon. literally any crafted amp will be vastly better.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mote amp is a pathetic joke weapon. literally any crafted amp will be vastly better.

This also explains why the climax of the Chains of Harrow quest was so tedious and anti-climactic. My little hand laser was just chipping away at those ninjas, it even took more than one full blast to melt each inidivudal chain at the end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i had a bug in that fight which replaced my normal amp with a mote amp. even though you can't technically lose, it was not fun.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Yes, you use to fuse duplicates together to level mods up.

More specifically, fusing any mod works but dupes bumped the progress bar more than a random mod of the same rarity. Then you had Fusion Core mods, which existed solely as fusing fodder and came with their own rarities. :shepface:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The fact that new players still get saddled with the mote amp is inexcusable, sure, DE will eventually give you a free one, past the point where you are more or less guaranteed to have a 111.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Yeah I remember those days. When I came back last year, there were a lot of basic mods I had to level up from very low because of that system.

I had played a bit between 2014ish and then, but not enough to relearn that system.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Pooncha posted:

More specifically, fusing any mod works but dupes bumped the progress bar more than a random mod of the same rarity. Then you had Fusion Core mods, which existed solely as fusing fodder and came with their own rarities. :shepface:

Oh man I forgot about the Fusion Cores!

Thanks for the answers. I feel OK about dumping my hundreds of Redirection and Vitality mods for a quick cash infusion.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Hmm, the Quills grind is kind of annoying, I am not a fan.

But I really like Plains of Eidolon missions so I'll live.

edit: in general I'm not really a fan of the transferrance ability at all, I'm not sure what's the value of switching to this incredibly weak character. Does the operator have utility outside of these quest missions?

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 15, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Don't hesitate to ask on clan chat if you need credits. It's likely one of us can carry you through a quick injection with a few Index rounds if you have nothing else unlocked, likely with a credit blessing in relay. Profit Taker is a better earner as long as one player is built for it, but it's a bit of a grind to unlock the mission itself.

Railjack is a pretty decent earner too, void storms in particular (Railjack relic cracking). A few rounds of relic cracking in railjack gets you prime parts, credits, railjack mods (basically endo) and a few railjack specific drops (holokeys for Tenet melee weapons, Sevagoth parts, etc.). With a pimped railjack and a squad of 3/4, Grineer missions go pretty fast.

quote:

edit: in general I'm not really a fan of the transferrance ability at all, I'm not sure what's the value of switching to this incredibly weak character. Does the operator have utility outside of these quest missions?

Oh yes. Invisibility, invulnerability, teleportation/flying, operator arcanes to heal your frame while you're out, amp arcanes to make the amp a murder machine, focus schools with infinite energy, full armour/shield strip,more damage, longer melee combos, extended shared affinity range... It kind of becomes second nature to press 5 when appropriate after a while. Before parkour shards were a thing, operator was my goto for all these outdoor Jupiter sections for example.

More funky: carrying two batteries to the excavator in Extraction: grab one with frame, switch to operator, grab one with operator, teleport (void sling) to the excavator as operator, hit 5 to switch back to frame and you're back in your frame with the battery in hand which gets fed to extractor.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 15, 2024

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
Everyone was out there farming for Arcane Energize, I just put in the time to max out my Arcane Nullifier so I can be immune to magnetic procs at will. But man, if I ever have to hear about the Muuuuuurmuuuuur again it'll be too soon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The Operator, specifically, eventually becomes a swiss army knife of cool utility powers, mobility, and with one specific focus tree can compete with a frame for damage. The process of getting there is insanely grindy and the fastest ways all involve pretty unpopular game modes, although in recent patches DE has added slower but more conventional alternatives.

Unfortunately, it's also kind of the beginning of a trend re: "what if we gave you some lovely alter ego / vehicle / whatever instead of just letting you use a warframe," and a lot of the later ones don't glow up anywhere near as hard as the Operator does.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Duviri circuit is a great focus farm, but god only knows if pub groups still run it?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Tylana posted:

Duviri circuit is a great focus farm, but god only knows if pub groups still run it?

I've never not gotten a full party of SP duviri circuit

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The operator is a lot more well designed than the other options for that because it exists in addition to the frame and doesn't replace it so you can combine their strengths to reach greater heights of mobility and power, and durability, if you can believe it.

They did nerf its mobility for some god forsaken reason, but faced with significant complaining they reversed a bit of that nerf, they also made its abilities spells instead of side effects riding on its basic abilities and I think that was a terrible idea for the most part.

The operator also grants you a free stealth option, if your pet is one that'll know to stay quiet.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Focus grind used to be rough (though my ESO days did get me that sexy Braton Vandal and a neverending supply of radiant Lith relics), but I'd imagine that it's a lot quicker these days. Zariman already was helping a lot with those regular 5k hits, then Circuit happened and topped it, and now Whispers added Eidolon lenses purchaseable for faction rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aegof posted:

I've never not gotten a full party of SP duviri circuit

i get full parties every time, the issue is just that once you get good rng there's a close to 100% chance that half of them immediately bail after the first round