Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

rip Bonnie dick, thought of fighting and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

is there any "open source intelligence" estimate of the number of tomahawk cruise missiles expended in the last few years? or any other US missiles?

Got a feeling those are the kind of threads the big OSINT groups don't pull if they want to stay on their employer's payroll

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I remember like 20 years ago reading an article that said that aircraft carriers were going to be replaced with submarines that could launch drones. Did they ever build one of those?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I remember like 20 years ago reading an article that said that aircraft carriers were going to be replaced with submarines that could launch drones. Did they ever build one of those?

it's probably on the shelf right next to solar-powered balloon artillery spotters

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It has been assumed that 'we have no weapons left for allies' isn't counting all the weapons the US is supposed to keep back for itself, but I wonder how true that is. Scrouging up weapons for allies seems good for your career now and who knows if you'll ever need those domestic use weapons later and even if you do that'll probably be under someone else's watch. Plenty of time to build back up those stockpiles (sorta like the oil strategic reserve). I wonder how many missiles the US really has to keep lobbing randomly at Yemen.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine a bunch of groups who are all scrounging up weapons for different allies at the same time while also not talking directly to each other.

Who can rip out the most copper wires the fastest?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ArmchairW/status/1746694260366454852

quote:

The United States has approximately 3500 Tomahawk missiles on hand - so few that at-sea reloading capability is pointless because in the event of war the USN will actually run out of missiles before it runs out of launchers.

Let's run the numbers.

First of all, the Tomahawk is an old system and has been manufactured in several blocks since its introduction in the 1980s. Block II missiles have long since been taken out of service and Block III missiles appear to have left service recently - the only models currently in use are Block IV (produced since 2004) and Block V (remanufactured Block IV missiles "produced" since 2021).

An examination of public DoD budget materials indicates that the Pentagon purchased 3882 missiles between FY 2004 and FY 2020.* Wikipedia lists 385 missiles fired in anger since 2004, the vast majority from 2011 onwards when Block IV missiles would have been preferred. As such it's likely that the current US stockpile of Tomahawks is approximately 3500 Block IV and Block V weapons.

* Raytheon claimed to have manufactured 4000 Block IV missiles as of 2017 - I believe this discrepancy can be explained by low-volume British orders.

Now let's apply this data to operations. This is almost entirely a naval missile, although there is some work to bring back a surface-fired capability that once existed in the 1980s. The USN has 73 Arleigh Burke-class missile destroyers and 13 Ticonderoga-class missile cruisers in service, as well as 4 converted Ohio-class cruise missile submarines and 48 nuclear attack submarines with VLS silos. Obviously the surface units will fill only a portion of their silos with land attack missiles - I understand the load is generally 32 missiles (graphic courtesy Sal Mercogliano). The attack subs have 12 tubes each and the SSGNs have 154 tubes each, all loaded with Tomahawks.

As such to completely load the USN battle force with Tomahawks requires 3,944 missiles. There is thus a shortfall of some 500 missiles, which makes sense given that a portion of the USN battle fleet is in the yard at any given point in time and cannot be made ready to sail even in an emergency.

Now to the question of reloading VLS tubes at sea, a capability which the USN got rid of in the mid-1990s when it was rapidly drawing down after the Cold War and the writing was very much on the wall about how much ammunition Congress was willing to fund going forward. The takeaway here is that the United States Navy doesn't "need" an at-sea VLS reload capability because our current policy appears to be to only buy enough missiles to fill the Navy's magazines once. There will be nothing to reload the silos with, at least in the immediate term, so including extra equipment to do it at sea would be pointless.

As a final aside, given that Tomahawk production since 2021 seems to have been remanufactured rather than new missiles, I have questions about whether the US actually retains the capability to make new missiles of this type.

the us would run low on tomahawks if it kept shooting them in around a month and a half as it had done so far during prosperity guardian

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Not that this was the tone taken by the post, but I like the idea of "well actually scrapping all the destroyers tenders was nbd because we were never going to reload the launchers anyway"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

There will be nothing to reload the silos with, at least in the immediate term, so including extra equipment to do it at sea would be pointless.

Now broaden this out to all the other expensive munitions. Then consider the vassal states who are in far worse shape and very likely can't load & arm more than a quarter to half of their assets at once, with nothing in reserve.

Oh you have (throws dart at board) 12 surface combatants? Well you probably only have the material to fully load 2 or 3 of them at any given time. And if you actually fire anything then who knows when you'll get a resupply. Next year or two? Three?

Why doesn't everyone just keep more missiles and stuff on hand? Simple. It's expensive as hell and they go bad with time.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 04:57 on Jan 15, 2024

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not that this was the tone taken by the post, but I like the idea of "well actually scrapping all the destroyers tenders was nbd because we were never going to reload the launchers anyway"

that was probably how they found a bunch of cost savings back then for next quarter's budget

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What percentage of Tomahawk has been used against Ansarallah thus far, 2%-3% of the entire stockpile?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

This is almost entirely a naval missile, although there is some work to bring back a surface-fired capability that once existed in the 1980s.

Lmao. Lostech

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

it is interesting how that mentality first started in the cold war as a way to justify one program over another (we don't need fallout shelters we need more missiles, we'll be dead either way might as well kill more commies) then transitioned to a pure cost cutting argument.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the argument against shelters was that if one side went really all out on them, they might think they could survive, ergo win, a nuclear war, which undermined MAD

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Trabisnikof posted:

it is interesting how that mentality first started in the cold war as a way to justify one program over another (we don't need fallout shelters we need more missiles, we'll be dead either way might as well kill more commies) then transitioned to a pure cost cutting argument.

except the successful cost cutters are now fighting the west

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought the argument against shelters was that if one side went really all out on them, they might think they could survive, ergo win, a nuclear war, which undermined MAD

so during the small window after the soviets get the bomb but before missiles became the main thread, the main strategy was evacuation. the assumption being that we might have hours between war being declared and the bombs falling, so we'd just tell everyone to run for the hills.

but once missiles were in the picture, there was an initial push for building shelters (JFK being one proponent). however, the war gaming analysis pushed the conclusion that more missiles would be the best way to spend the money. this is that classic narrow analysis that if we build shelters we can only mitigate the damage, but if we blow up their missiles before they can hit us, then we can prevent the damage entirely.

i am fairly certain it was a USAF paper that was the "proof" that missiles were more cost effective than civil defense, but i would need to find it again to confirm.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You can only be safe if you spend all your money buying the ICBMs my factory makes. Don't give any of that money to other people, make sure it all comes to me.

Signed, John Minuteman

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
JFK was assassinated for becoming Hoxhaist.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

I think its just more excuses to move spending from the military to the contractors. Look, here is the design of a super fancy stealth not-a-tender! Gimme 30 billion to build a prototype.

In other news

https://twitter.com/eNCA/status/1746537492298297578?t=iEKyCaNdOQCmOgurpuUE1g&s=19

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think its just more excuses to move spending from the military to the contractors. Look, here is the design of a super fancy stealth not-a-tender! Gimme 30 billion to build a prototype.

In other news

https://twitter.com/eNCA/status/1746537492298297578?t=iEKyCaNdOQCmOgurpuUE1g&s=19

quote:

In addition to science hardware, the spaceship is carrying cargo for private clients of Astrobotic, including a sports drink can, a physical Bitcoin, as well as human and animal ashes and DNA.

Lmfao

It's so depressing to be an American space enthusiast, no wonder people drove themselves to insanity worshipping Elon

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade posted:

Why doesn't everyone just keep more missiles and stuff on hand? Simple. It's expensive as hell and they go bad with time.

This is why neoliberal governance is incompatible with all military capabilities.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

genericnick posted:

sports drink can

commodity fetishism has gone too far

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
In any other job loving things up so much gets you called 'bad at your job'

I think most scientists and engineers alive today are just poo poo and everyone is too polite or deferential

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
on one hand, space flight is really loving hard and finnicky so it's not surprising when missions fail

on the other hand, nasa put a man on the moon 55 years ago and only killed 3 astronauts in the process

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lol i wonder if the company that hosed this up still gets paid. burning up millions of dollars worth of scientific equipment because the company that makes rockets can't make rockets good

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
What's up with the complete inability of western space companies to complete their missions? Is it like the billionaire submariner, where obvious design and materials insufficiency are overlooked because if it does work* the cost saving's will be enormous!!!

* it physically cannot work.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Scrree posted:

What's up with the complete inability of western space companies to complete their missions? Is it like the billionaire submariner, where obvious design and materials insufficiency are overlooked because if it does work* the cost saving's will be enormous!!!

nasa paid them $100M to burn up their equipment. i doubt they're getting a refund and probably some people at nasa are on the take from the peregrine gently caress ups. they're not incentivized by market forces lol

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Scrree posted:

Technological development/efficiency has been strangled by neoliberalism, with the exception of software that sucks dick like AI and 67738K resolution graphics in video games

Sancho Banana has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Jan 15, 2024

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

I posted a lot about this a while back, our reigning ideology doesn't believe in efficacy but it sure as hell believes in efficiency. In this paradigm, even if the government is good at doing something, the lack of competition means it is not the most maximally efficient provider of that service, and you could theoretically have a private provider that offers the same level of service but at a lower cost, because the profit motive will incentivize it to reduce costs somewhere along the way. Of course they don't recognize that doing so completely rewrites the incentives of the provider away from "provide a good service" towards "maximize profit" and how that inevitably affects the service itself, because this paradigm doesn't have room for an understanding that quality is different from profit margin - because again, in their idealized frictionless sphere economy, if the utility provider is low quality and you care about that, you can just switch to the competitor who provides a higher quality service. It's all nonsense, but it's persuasive nonsense because saving money right now is something you can see on a balance sheet while cutting services to the bone in the name of efficiency is usually invisible until oops! we have an emergency and the service collapsed.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

A privatized government service collapsing entirely is really good news because that's creating market opportunities

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

A privatized government service collapsing entirely is really good news because that's creating market opportunities

That's what I think people are missing about why NASA was hosed with so hard government contracts "had" to be awarded to private companies.

Yes, they could land a man on the moon, but think of all of the lost market opportunities.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Scrree posted:

After certain levels in terms of economic complexity, what we colloquially refer to as "private enterprise" simply does not have the means to address possible requirements and worse, it has a limit on its organizational factor.

Economic complexity isn't cost, although they are related. It's a way to describe how many developed factors are required in a society to realize a given economic activity. For example, a reason why the automobile industry was seen as a great referential for the late industrialization processes of the 20th century is because of the many different industrial activities necessary to build automobiles: metalworking, steel, glass, machine works, tooling, foam, rubber, plastics etc. To build an automobile in an entirely national process means building all those industries as well, which is great in terms of a productive economy. The thing is that it cannot be something haphazard - all those industries have to be working with common standards and having a degree of integration.

Even countries who submitted to foreign capital in this process (Mexico, Brazil, etc) had their governments actively steering the auto maker companies alongside established national industry to make these large economic chains click together and actually work the desired economic effects. This organizational effort is at the basis of addressing economic complexity -- to rely upon the private interest here is to rely on a different set of intentions in which some might overlap into common ground. Private enterprise doesn't care by itself in addressing it: for automaking, a bunch of investors might just concern itself into building an assembly plant and then import all the rest. Another might want to integrate a thing or two.

This idea of economic factors as processes to be worked upon and achieved, as incremental stages of material development, is what constitutes true economic transformation. Capital can certainly do space rockets, that isn't the problem -- what it has tremendous trouble in doing is the convergence and development of all the necessary processes to "attain mastery", in a way of speaking. And to do that, private interest would have to spend ludicrous amounts of money that would certainly not give returns in a desired period.

It's that rich guy's sub, basically. It certainly got built and certainly did work a couple of times, but to truly work appropriately and deliver on its potential capability, it needs to be something far, far more developed.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I want to give US MIC the benefit of doubt, is there a list of new US weapons that were designed after the cold war, particularly released in the last 2 decades, that are actually good? Like, they will go into textbooks as examples of good weapons, not going into textbooks as examples of bad weapons.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I want to give US MIC the benefit of doubt, is there a list of new US weapons that were designed after the cold war, particularly released in the last 2 decades, that are actually good? Like, they will go into textbooks as examples of good weapons, not going into textbooks as examples of bad weapons.

The F-22 ended up pretty decent, but it wasn't making the right people enough money so we made an F-35 about it.

F-22's only air-to-air kill was during the Great Chinese Baloon Crisis IINM though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't think the f22 was particularly good from a strategic perspective tbh. That money could've bought a whole bunch of f15's or missiles or whatever that would actually have been useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think the Gucci kit at soldier level is often better, though not 1:1 with how much more expensive it is.

So for small arms, I've heard the SCAR-H and SCAR-L are good, though expensive and unnecessary. Mk. 48 maybe?

For Soldier Systems, the new clothing systems and sleep systems are much better, Camelbak is much better than using canteens.

The new skis and snowshoes are much better and I really hope they become available for private purchase soon.