Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Green Intern posted:

"Unseasoned Steak" is an excellent insult.

I enjoyed "tourist" from the previous strip. A well-placed word can instantly characterize a guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

EasyEW posted:

Don Herold:

Honda Motor Company: "Hold my beer."

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

But who

the gently caress

is

Brad?

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

Fucken lolllll

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

But who

the gently caress

is

Brad?

Fucken lolllll

Brad was the pseudo vegan milf hunter

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

brad was actually rene belluso in disguise!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, Bascom really is a piece of poo poo, ain't he?

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 15, 2024

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Hell yeah.

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 11, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(October 6, 1918)

A comic about loving.

Gasoline Alley

Little Nemo(March 1, 1908)

Finally, I'm introducing another new strip tomorrow:

[b]The Gumps[b] was a strip originally envisioned by Chicago Tribune Editor and publisher, Joseph Patterson, as a strip about the domestic lives of ordinary people. The idea was given to Sidney Smith, then known mainly for his 'Old Doc Yak' strip, who then turned it into one of the most successful strips of it's era. It was the first comic strip to be adapted to a radio sitcom, and was the first strip to kill off a character. In 1922, the strip earned Smith a 10 year million-dollar contract. In 1935, Smith signed a new, $150, 000 a year contract, and immediately died in a car crash. While it's often claimed that Smith was driving a brand new Rolls-Royce, this is only a myth. The car he was actually driving was described as a "small sedan"
The strip would continue until 1959 under Gus Edson, though would never be as popular.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

My favorite trivia about "The Gumps" is that Martin Landau worked on the strip as Gus Edson's assistant.

Yeah, before he became a successful actor he was a cartoonist.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Brad was the pseudo vegan milf hunter

That’s not what I meant. I know which character is named Brad. But Brad’s preëxisting role in the characters’ lives remains incomprehensible.

This whole story has been such utter dog poo poo. Even the dialogue is clunkier than usual. Mary Worth stinks but usually not this badly.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 11, 2002)

I would have been about the same age as Gene, and I loved Iron Chef.

That’s not what I meant. I know which character is named Brad. But Brad’s preëxisting role in the characters’ lives remains incomprehensible.

This whole story has been such utter dog poo poo. Even the dialogue is clunkier than usual. Mary Worth stinks but usually not this badly.

He isn't really a character, just an obstacle for our heroic veteran cop to breeze past as he gets everything he wants without effort or having to change anything about himself.

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 02, 1961)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Holbrook is such an incompetent buffoon. All he had to do was just focus on the trial being about RL's lovely and exploitative company practices. Just have his ex-employees come forward as witnesses, maybe Kell stand up for once in her goddamn life. By including this strip where herbivores who are upset at having their family being murdered and eaten, Holbrook draws comparison to Kell's company doing the exact same thing.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Just not gonna tell either of them what Brad was planning or that you quietly made him disappear, huh? Not going to admit that you took the choice out of their hands on how they want to handle Brad, given how close Sonia was to him?

There was a goon who said Moy had to know she was writing realistically lovely men, but the fact that Keith's getting everything he wanted for no effort makes me not so sure about that assessment.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I hope Keith explodes.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(10/6/1993)

(10/7/1993)

Ziggy

(7/20/1971)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't really have any strong opinions on the latest mary worth storyline, it was sorta amusing personally in how whack it was, but also how it seemed to just land flat on it's face and defused any potential interesting story in the most lacklustre way.

It did not go where I thought it would. I thought the way the daughter reacted to her finding he was ex-military and ex-cop and running off was kinda crazy and hilarious and I thought this was what the story was gonna be about it and it would be something about how both would see beyond the others differences bla bla bla meeting in the middle, nothing terribly offensive or extreme in any way.

Instead the story had a bunch of weird twists and turns that mostly resulted in little to no resolutions. Felt like a bunch of branching dead ends.

I didn't think the mother would play a big role at all in the story to be honest but apparently she took over and the father-daughter storyline got showed to the side.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I've been assuming this whole time that he's going to show back up and whatever backstory is there will come out and complicate things.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Dethany why are you smiling about this? "Haha I'm dead inside. Like cemeteries. I'm a goth :)"

Also gently caress these merfolk.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jacki

Rhymes with Orange

Get Chubby 1/14/04

Brenda Starr 6/9-11/52

Smokey Stover 3/15/59

Everyday Movies 2/23/37

"Mr. Bonds must be doing well -- his secretary's wearing a mink coat."

The intersection of John and Nassau Streets today.

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/7-9/42

"How do you feel about threesomes?"

Closer Than We Think! 3/15/59

A bridge or tunnel across the Bering Strait has been proposed at least since 1890, but it never gets built since it doesn't really make sense to spend millions connecting two mostly uninhabited areas.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 15, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah the initial conflict was fun because you could root for Keith even if ACAB. Somebody can't come into your life 20 years after the fact and demand you turn back time. :v: Then Keith literally runs the other guy out of town and charms everybody by coincidence. Then again Wilbur was saved from a fatal accident and returned to some social grace despite the supremely messed up antics of letting his loved ones believe he was dead for a week while he partied at a resort.

I blame it on Mary Worth gravitating towards Good Endings too reliably. Can clearly write good entertainment for what is easily perceived as a zombie milquetoast drama strip but hampered by clear limitations.

Jucika "502 - And The Topping Out Ceremony"

Topping Out Ceremony

"503 - Jucika And Cleaning Lady Shortage"

"főorvos = Main doctor"

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

just thought the thread should know - I sent a fan letter to Norm Feuti, telling him about the people posting RETAIL and GIl, and how much we enjoyed them.

Norm Feuti posted:

Thank you for the kind words! I’m happy to see RETAIL and GIL are still connecting with readers and being shared around the web.

These days I’m mostly working on children’s books, but you can see my latest works on my website at normfeuticartoons.com.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Drimble Wedge posted:

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

For the one on the right:
"The Life Aquatic is not a documentary"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CannonFodder posted:

For the one on the right:
"The Life Aquatic is not a documentary"

Same joke, change it to The Shape of Water

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Didn't Feel This Way Before But I Feel This Way Now Due To How. Time. And Politics. And Things. Have Happened Since This Arc Was Written. But This Entire Arc Feels Like Asking The Bold Question "What If Epstein Sent A Body Double To Prison". Cuz I Cannot Think Of An Adequate Parallel Due To How This All Shakes Out And The Scope Of What R.L. Does, And Maybe That's Just My Broken-rear end 2024 Brain At Work, But Jesus Talk About Having Your Cake And Eating It Too (Derogatory).

Really Just Wearing The Far Side On Your Sleeve Today Huh

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

JethroMcB posted:

Rose is Rose

Retail

Popcom

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, March 10-29, 1983

And that brings a close to the Winter 1983 quarter, bringing us to...
Spring 1983: Equality v. Privilege

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

where’s wilbur?

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

pencilhands posted:

where’s wilbur?

I'm really hoping he's a sign that there's a plan here. It seems like a waste to put Wilbur in a scene and not use it as a signifier.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Whenever Wilbur is not on screen, the other characters should be asking "Where's Wilbur?"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Man I love the fashion that's going on, really good job with the colors and shapes and styles. Also all of them having medals.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mister Beeg posted:

My favorite trivia about "The Gumps" is that Martin Landau worked on the strip as Gus Edson's assistant.

Yeah, before he became a successful actor he was a cartoonist.
He left the high-flying lifestyle of a cartoonist to have a decades-long career as a common Oscar-winning film actor? What a moron.
I agree, Frank or Ernest.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't really have any strong opinions on the latest mary worth storyline, it was sorta amusing personally in how whack it was, but also how it seemed to just land flat on it's face and defused any potential interesting story in the most lacklustre way.

It did not go where I thought it would. I thought the way the daughter reacted to her finding he was ex-military and ex-cop and running off was kinda crazy and hilarious and I thought this was what the story was gonna be about it and it would be something about how both would see beyond the others differences bla bla bla meeting in the middle, nothing terribly offensive or extreme in any way.

Instead the story had a bunch of weird twists and turns that mostly resulted in little to no resolutions. Felt like a bunch of branching dead ends.

I didn't think the mother would play a big role at all in the story to be honest but apparently she took over and the father-daughter storyline got showed to the side.
It feels like a story they started, got bored with, and decided to just end.

But I'm still not convinced this is over yet. Sure looks like it, but I'm not so sure.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Old joke, but I always laugh.

Apartment 3-G

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've been assuming this whole time that he's going to show back up and whatever backstory is there will come out and complicate things.

He, and it, had, respectively, better! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I've lost track of Phantom timelines. Is this... do we need to get the torches? Did he just "dream" the whole Mozz thing?