Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sickening posted:

Shocks are free falling. I am still waiting for retro tombs, gravse, and vents to drop below 10 but I pulled the trigger on the others for 8-10 bucks.

Boxes are holding so many shocks folks. I would say more than half the regular shock lands might head below 5 bucks.

This is all happening as SCG tried to throw out a buylist that has already been surpassed by tcgplayer low.

Time to reload on shocks I guess. Are the older arts falling as well?

I guess modern is a lot about triomes now anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So on a whim I bought a pair of collector boosters and got a foil retro shock.
They're gorgeous. Dangerous for my "save money" plan.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

kalel posted:

seems like promos for magic online happen every week at this point and it makes me extremely worried about the product's future. play rates must be rock bottom

Except for those already deeply invested, I can't imagine anyone playing MTGO over Arena.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Gynovore posted:

Except for those already deeply invested, I can't imagine anyone playing MTGO over Arena.

it has the good formats

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gynovore posted:

What if I want to play any of the competitive paper formats?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'll save everyone the trouble of having to retype their opinions on the subject, feel free to requote yourselves.

Captain Invictus posted:

I watch almost every daily jim davis video at work, but MTGO videos are ones I cannot bear. it's just so...so bland, so barren. arena might try to gussy things up a bit too much at times, but the sound design, music, visuals, are all perfect for what it does. the sounds everything makes basically always fit perfectly, and adds a lot to the game imo. mtgo is just so loving basic, a relic of a bygone time. I'm sure they would have shuttered it ages ago if people didn't have so much tied up in it already.

he did do a vintage cube video for coolstuffinc recently, though, if you want it. like all his CSI videos it lacks his morning zoo soundboard, which might be a plus or minus for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8BcpXuMyjE&hd=1

ilmucche posted:

Weirdly I feel pretty much the exact opposite for the same reasons. Mtgo is simple and clean presentation, while arena packs in animations and sounds that are fun once or twice but quickly lose their appeal. Plus mtgo has the better formats on it.

Different strokes and all that

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

MTGO videos are perfect for going to sleep to, especially when it's someone who doesn't use a facecam like BoshNRoll, minimal movement on screen and no flashes.

He also usually does a few Cube videos every time it comes around, now that he's done with eternal weekend I guess we should expect that soon?

HootTheOwl posted:

Nah, arena is way worse.
I have the music off because it sucks, the animations are tried and boring. The same quips over and over, and the graphics aren't better: magic art on the regular cards (not the super special showcase or whatever) is just so same-y and muted and droll these days that I can't tell the cards apart and on arena they don't even have text. The zones stack so you have to click and examine each one, and can only look at one at a time so going back between the graveyard and the battlefield brings up the rope, which is worse than the chess clock. Good luck untangling a stack of any complexity on arena with it's overlapping targeting indicators. And when you cast things you have to click and drag, which is harder on my laptop track pad then just clicking the card on mtgo. We haven't even gotten to how wildcards are worse than trading, or about how awful deck building is in area (turning off the collection by default, applying color filters, then locking them, etc), or the massive bloat it leaves on your hard drive.

Arena is awful. Every time I am tricked into thinking there's something interesting on arena I'm reminded of this.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

No rental programs either on Arena, that's probably the biggest negative overall even if that system is sorta dumb and expensive and self-inflicted by wotc. Though the real worst part of the wildcard system is that an actual good rare costs the same as extremely trashy junk rares, so there's not much fun in brewing unless you already have everything which is a shame because it would be pretty fun to brew up dumb ideas and play some ranked ladder with them

In theory if you never stop playing and do dailies diligently every day then it's probably not the biggest deal... but man "having" to log in and do something is such a grind for me.

Eight-Six posted:

I basically don't disagree with any of the points made against arena, but I'm still gonna play it over MtG:O until something in me snaps and I decide to be a grinder. I love all the audio cues arena has, it provides a rhythm to the game and individual cards. edit: ok i guess i disagreed with the audio stuff. sidenote: i pity whoever makes the arena music, i have that permanently off

I remember on one of the recent Arena surveys, there was a question about "What features would you like to see on Arena", and I can't remember if it was "choose 1 from all these options" or "choose all options you want," but 'deck rentals' was one option explicitly written down (as opposed to selecting 'Other' and writing it in), which I found notable.

Silhouette posted:

re:arena sound effects - I miss when playing a gilded goose made a red-tailed hawk screech instead of a goose honk

Judgy Fucker posted:

Arena makes the crunch noise when my big boys slam into my opponent. Bigger boys, bigger crunches. That is a good thing about Arena
:emptyquote: x2

Time posted:

Both programs are really good but offer different things. Arena has made my win% and elo on mtgo jump significantly so that was a great byproduct of learning to think more structurally about the game by drafting a lot. Legacy and modern challenges are too good to leave behind though. Rando Leagues on mtgo offer me nothing anymore unless it’s just a new deck to me

kalel posted:

Me, Hoot posted:

:agreed: with these particularly. it looks like a game for babies. anyone who was around for throne of eldraine standard knows the agony of brazen borrowers and bonecrusher giants and questing beasts flying around and crashing the game

Captain Invictus posted:

almost nothing has significant if any animations anymore. I'm kind of surprised they haven't quietly removed some of the shittier old animations like those you mentioned, honestly.

Procrastinator posted:

as a brawl player, the giant uro face still haunts me

distortion park posted:

I don't think I've heard any of the arena sound effects or music since the beta . I wish you could turn off animations too

LifeLynx posted:

It's criminal you can't adjust graphics settings on the phone. I have an S22 Ultra, and even on there Arena froze so often I'd lose out on guaranteed wins. It'd freeze, and the only fix was to force quit and restart, and by then I'd have roped and skipped a turn.

big scary monsters posted:

Good news, it regularly does that on desktop too.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I ended up dropping 5$ into MTGO but I'm at a bit of of a loss at how to get games and take advantage of the all access. Any tips?

(As an Arena player, MTGO looks like it has some sweet formats and I want to try out commander, vintage (lol) or penny dreadful??)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I take it you want a dedicated MTGO thread Hoot?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
hoot just wants attention above anything else

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That post was cool and good and IMO anyone who didn't find it funny, or worse reports it should put me on ignore

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All posters know there's nothing more gauche than upvoting your own posts

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I stand by it

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

I'll save everyone the trouble of having to retype their opinions on the subject, feel free to requote yourselves.

Honestly, great idea. It's been argued as nauseum (lol) a billion times. There's nothing else for anyone to take away. MTGO isn't perfect but it's better than it has been for a long rear end time, and I would encourage anyone interested in playing eternal formats to look into it.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 14, 2024

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tezzeract posted:

I ended up dropping 5$ into MTGO but I'm at a bit of of a loss at how to get games and take advantage of the all access. Any tips?

(As an Arena player, MTGO looks like it has some sweet formats and I want to try out commander, vintage (lol) or penny dreadful??)

Penny dreadful you can play with the manatraders free accounts. Just borrow your whole deck with their 5 dollar credit and get to leagues and tournaments

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

Actually p useful as a post considering we discussed it pretty recently

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Are those GoatBots event calculators pretty realistic? https://www.goatbots.com/event-calculator I'm not good enough to go infinite in Arena draft and I need to re-up on gems, but I'm considering switching to MTGO. I've played MTGO before so I'm familiar with the client and I understand I'll be up against more skilled players. Even if my WR is absolute trash at 33%, looks like I should expect to lose only 6 tix per friendly sealed league? That's not bad at all for 6 BO3 limited matches. Looks like a big part of the secret is to buy packs from bots and use those to enter instead of paying with tickets directly

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
One big caveat on that: it looks like it's valuing play points at 0.1 tix each, which is not accurate if you're only going to use them to enter more sealed events. If you use the advanced options to value them at 0.08 (so 240 is 19.2 tix, same as the tix+packs entry option), you might get a more accurate EV.

Also a pretty substantial amount of that EV comes from the (low) odds of getting a really strong record and a huge payout - which often correlates with opening good (and thus expensive) cards in your packs. So things can be pretty spikey, it's not going to be a consistent loss per event.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
2024 US Republican Primary Prediction

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlternateNu posted:

You okay op?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

You okay op?

I'm am drunk watching AGDQ and life is good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AlternateNu posted:

I didn't realize ixilan was so small.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
What's the best LOW EFFORT thing to do with boosters I win from stores that don't give store credit as prizes? Crack them and sell them back to the store for credit?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

feelix posted:

What's the best LOW EFFORT thing to do with boosters I win from stores that don't give store credit as prizes? Crack them and sell them back to the store for credit?
The most low effort thing to do is just trade them for cards you want from other players. It rarely happens because I think its rare for people to not compulsively open them , but I have seen that it can be pretty easy to trade them for cards you desire at some % of their cost.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

feelix posted:

Sell them back for store credit

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Yoked posted:

Sheoldred isn’t just a Standard staple. It’s played in basically every paper format right now. Not defending WotC and prices but this is probably pretty rare for a standard set card.

Yeah, I know, but still. A card that's still in Standard should not cost so drat much.

Hell, I'll even say cards above $30 are absolutely absurd for being currently in print for Standard.

I used to not really flinch at that but nowadays, drat.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Framboise posted:

Yeah, I know, but still. A card that's still in Standard should not cost so drat much.

Hell, I'll even say cards above $30 are absolutely absurd for being currently in print for Standard.

I used to not really flinch at that but nowadays, drat.

The five carda that are this much are Sheoldred, the Apocalypse, Agatha's Soul Cauldron, Boseiju, who Endures, Cavern of Souls, and Mondrak, Glory Dominus.

Sheoldred, Boseiju, and Cavern of Souls are multi-format all-stars, and Mondrak and Soul Cauldron have massive casual appeal for mythic rares.

It's pretty explicable at least.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

AlternateNu posted:

God I made that so drat long ago but was thinking of it just the other day. Jeb truly is eternal.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I hung out last night with some guys I hadn’t seen in a while who are all prepping for a cedh tournament coming up and got some reps in, and folks, it’s kind of awesome?

Played a storm deck, LD, naya 2023 OP cards you’ve never heard of (so many…), paradox engine, pod even.

There was lots more variety too, powerful cards, singleton makes it interesting. Idk I’m kind of hooked.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nighthand posted:

God I made that so drat long ago but was thinking of it just the other day. Jeb truly is eternal.

I remember. I'm the one who asked for it. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I hung out last night with some guys I hadn’t seen in a while who are all prepping for a cedh tournament coming up and got some reps in, and folks, it’s kind of awesome?

Played a storm deck, LD, naya 2023 OP cards you’ve never heard of (so many…), paradox engine, pod even.

There was lots more variety too, powerful cards, singleton makes it interesting. Idk I’m kind of hooked.

Paradox Engine is banned though.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Aphrodite posted:

Paradox Engine is banned though.

skill issue

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Sickening posted:

The most low effort thing to do is just trade them for cards you want from other players. It rarely happens because I think its rare for people to not compulsively open them , but I have seen that it can be pretty easy to trade them for cards you desire at some % of their cost.

I only play limited

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

feelix posted:

I only play limited

The use them to draft with friends

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

YggdrasilTM posted:

The use them to draft with friends

I don't have friends

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

feelix posted:

I don't have friends

Ask the store if they let you use your boosters in the next limited events and scale their price down from the events admission fee.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 15, 2024

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

give em to me

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Learn how to throw them hard and start cosplaying Gambit.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

How often does the player going fourth win in cEDH?

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Aphrodite posted:

Learn how to throw them hard and start cosplaying Gambit.

Win a cosplay contest for cash and buy more limited entries. Congrats u just went infinite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

HootTheOwl posted:

So on a whim I bought a pair of collector boosters and got a foil retro shock.
They're gorgeous. Dangerous for my "save money" plan.

This is going to be my problem. I really want as many old border shocks as I can get, and foil is just a bonus.