Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/2-women-who-poisoned-46-russian-troops-in-shoot-out-with-fsb-report-2024-1?r=US&IR=T

Russian security state doing real well at keeping things secure and state-like. Also a great sign when your "liberated" populations start murdering your liberators.

Can we talk about the fact the saboteur group is called Crimean Combat Seagulls?

Great username!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

orange juche posted:

I'd say a Bradley getting the drop on a T-90M is exercising all 3 lol, quite well from the point of view of that video. A bushmaster can't get through the armor, but the barely trained tanker crew getting pummeled by autocannon fire don't care about that while getting their bells rung by impacts.

30mm hitting armor is loud as gently caress to the people inside the metal box, so yeah, no thoughts going on for anyone inside that tank.

Place metal bucket on head, hit repeatedly with hammer... much confusion. :crackping:

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Plus most hits are going to detonate a block of era, yeah?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Victis posted:

Depends on whether the block was made in Russia

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Vengarr posted:

Depends on whether the block was made in Russia

Nothing to worry about there, Russia can’t make anything anymore

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
That T-90's ERA tour was cut short.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Victis posted:

Cardboard can’t detonate :twisted:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Cardboard can’t detonate :twisted:

not with that attitude it won't.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I don’t think the turret rotating wildly is crew controlled- i’m feeling that “ERA blows up, turret goes wild” has something to do either with the APS going off or the APS computer going haywire from the hits. Or gunner/TC eating it and falling on their controls.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What I’m hearing is that we need resistance training for armour crewmen. Put them in a safe and hit it repeatedly with a sledgehammer while they solve a crossword puzzle.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Is my new invention, Comrade. Eggcrate Replica Armor! Looks like Explosive Reactive Armor, but much safer for hearing!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Valtonen posted:

I don’t think the turret rotating wildly is crew controlled- i’m feeling that “ERA blows up, turret goes wild” has something to do either with the APS going off or the APS computer going haywire from the hits. Or gunner/TC eating it and falling on their controls.

3 got out so that’s the whole crew. Most likely something got hit and they lost control of traversal rather than just a blind panic.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

Is my new invention, Comrade. Eggcrate Replica Armor! Looks like Explosive Reactive Armor, but much safer for hearing!

Cardboard is too expensive. Can you do something in mud?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coasterphreak posted:

Nothing to worry about there, Russia can’t make anything anymore

Unfortunately they're making about 100 new missiles and around 300 drones per month now according to the Institute for the Study of War.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bored As gently caress posted:

Unfortunately they're making about 100 new missiles and around 300 drones per month now according to the Institute for the Study of War.

What type of missiles?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

What type of missiles?

A combination of various ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, and hypersonic missiles.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67871729

quote:

Analysis published in Le Monde quotes Ukrainian officials who said Russia still has in its stockpile around 1,000 ballistic or cruise missiles, and is able to make around 100 more per month - such as Kalibrs and Kh-101s.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 15, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I bet if Ukraine started targeting Russian locomotives with their sabotage efforts, they could really really gently caress up the Russian economy once they reached critical mass of destroyed engines.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

I bet if Ukraine started targeting Russian locomotives with their sabotage efforts, they could really really gently caress up the Russian economy once they reached critical mass of destroyed engines.

And then they start pulling Stalin era steam locomotives out of storage.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

A.o.D. posted:

A diesel freight engine is like 150 tons of steel and damaging one in a way that matters is significantly harder than you'd think

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

And then they start pulling Stalin era steam locomotives out of storage.

Not seeing a downside here

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

A diesel freight engine is like 150 tons of steel and damaging one in a way that matters is significantly harder than you'd think

I thought most of Russia's rail should be electric locomotives with overhead catenary? Which I'm pretty sure means they are even more indestructible unless grid infrastructure is targeted. A rail enthusiast will chime in.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

I thought most of Russia's rail should be electric locomotives with overhead catenary? Which I'm pretty sure means they are even more indestructible unless grid infrastructure is targeted. A rail enthusiast will chime in.

From 2020. https://www.railfreight.com/railfreight/2020/10/27/russian-railways-prioritising-electrification-on-freight-routes/

"" posted:

Russian Railways wants to increase the volume of cargo transportation by electric traction and give priority to the electrification of the busiest freight routes. This was announced by Sergey Kobzev, deputy manager director of Russian Railways. Over 85 per cent of passengers and 86 per cent of cargo volumes are already transported by electric traction in Russia. “Russian Railways gives priority to the electrification of railway lines when implementing green technologies”, Kobzev said.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I'd figure the best way to damage a train is gently caress with a tiny bit of track. Im sure rail inspectors are either as corrupt or as undermanned as everything else at this point in Russia

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agznZBiK_Bs

There's a WW2 training (pardon the pun) video for everything

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1746832672880550056

quote:

The Ukrainian Air Force has now officially claimed to have downed a Russian A-50 AEW&C aircraft and severely damaged an Il-22M airborne command post in an attack yesterday.

That seems like a pretty meaningful score. Expensive gear and probably some of the better trained, harder-to-replace personnel on board.

EDIT: It currently seems unclear, but the claim is that this happened above the Sea of Azov, an area that Ukraine is absolutely not currently in control of.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 15, 2024

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

EDIT: It currently seems unclear, but the claim is that this happened above the Sea of Azov, an area that Ukraine is absolutely not currently in control of.

The claimed location is just barely within reach of a Patriot missile fired from Ukrainian-held territory, but that would involve moving a very expensive and critical strategic asset to a place that's really much less safe than I'd be comfortable with.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1746871702921883695#m

Fighter-bomber also does seem to say some pilots died, though not stating if it was an A-50.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

What type of missiles?

Ukrainian intelligence saying low 100ish of tactical class (31/59) and also low 100ish of longer range missiles.

Also highlights more Russian strike focus on Ukrainian military capability this year than last.

https://x.com/ralee85/status/1746864042168250705?s=46&t=fppHBZSlD4AbSz5pJxjFMQ

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Tuna-Fish posted:

The claimed location is just barely within reach of a Patriot missile fired from Ukrainian-held territory, but that would involve moving a very expensive and critical strategic asset to a place that's really much less safe than I'd be comfortable with.

It's probably safe enough if Ukraine can quickly and quietly move the system to the front, shoot immediately and then pack up and scurry off. If the Russian planes got careless and started flying the same routes over long periods of time, that would be relatively easy for Ukraine to plan.

I recall there being some stories in the last month where Russian military bloggers lamented that even when their recon drones did spot Ukrainian high-value targets, bureaucracy involved in getting approval for a strike against them would mean it'd usually take half a day before they could act on that intel. Some googling suggests setup and teardown time for a Patriot system is less than an hour, so Ukraine might have felt comfortable that even if they did get spotted, they'd be done and out of there before being at risk of incoming fire.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

It is not harder than I think, it is exactly as hard as I think. However it's not armored military hardware, and a fire in the engine compartment can potentially render one a near total loss. It's very heavy equipment that requires specialized manufacturing, has long lead times, and is the single most important component of the Russian logistical chain.

What got me thinking about targeting Russian locomotives was the fact that during WWII the USSR manufactured 500 of them, and received something like 2000 of them through kend lease, and their manufacturing system wasn't the hollowed out shell that it is now. Not only that, but train engines are often sitting in poorly secured yards for extended periods of time, sitting in sidings, or travelling vast expanses of unsecured countryside. They can make for easy targets for sabateurs, and given the current Russian inability to keep up with materiel losses on the battlefield, the added stressor of having to replace Train Engines could seriously hamper their capability to sustain at both the strategic and tactical levels.

Captain Postal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agznZBiK_Bs

There's a WW2 training (pardon the pun) video for everything

That's based on relatively slow (35mph?) Steam locomotive. High speed freight trains produce FAR more destructive results when track gets hosed up.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tuna-Fish posted:

Would this be the longest range missile Ukraine has? According to Wikipedia SAMP/T has basically the same range.

The Russian S-300 apparently has missiles with 200 km or even 400 km range, I'm not sure how true those claims are though. Also Ukraine I guess wouldn't have the newest and greatest missile variants for them anyway.

What's the longest range SAM that NATO countries have?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

The Door Frame posted:

My union brothers provide plenty of statistical evidence that its pretty easy to damage one. A small fire in a cable way would be sufficient to put one out for a month or more I bet. Plus Russia isn't exactly a big diesel manufacturer.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The range numbers are more theoretical maximums, if you need velocity to maneuver into an evasive target, or recover from a notch, that range is far lower.

Sounds like the plane was at max range, and thus assumed it was safe, so didn't have proper situational awareness for evasion.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

The range numbers are more theoretical maximums, if you need velocity to maneuver into an evasive target, or recover from a notch, that range is far lower.

This is a huge thing to keep in mind looking at stated ranges for this kind of missile, definitely

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

A.o.D. posted:

It is not harder than I think, it is exactly as hard as I think. However it's not armored military hardware, and a fire in the engine compartment can potentially render one a near total loss. It's very heavy equipment that requires specialized manufacturing, has long lead times, and is the single most important component of the Russian logistical chain.

What got me thinking about targeting Russian locomotives was the fact that during WWII the USSR manufactured 500 of them, and received something like 2000 of them through kend lease, and their manufacturing system wasn't the hollowed out shell that it is now. Not only that, but train engines are often sitting in poorly secured yards for extended periods of time, sitting in sidings, or travelling vast expanses of unsecured countryside. They can make for easy targets for sabateurs, and given the current Russian inability to keep up with materiel losses on the battlefield, the added stressor of having to replace Train Engines could seriously hamper their capability to sustain at both the strategic and tactical levels.

That's based on relatively slow (35mph?) Steam locomotive. High speed freight trains produce FAR more destructive results when track gets hosed up.

lightpole posted:

My union brothers provide plenty of statistical evidence that its pretty easy to damage one. A small fire in a cable way would be sufficient to put one out for a month or more I bet. Plus Russia isn't exactly a big diesel manufacturer.

Well, electric trains are a bit beyond my area of expertise, and they're probably easier to damage than a diesel train because electrical stuff tends to be more fragile...
Anyway, the real point was that you'd have to do something pretty dramatic to the train engine to completely remove it from service, and because of how trains work, you can force damaged engines back into service if they're capable of producing some power since engines are supposed to be used in tandem. Even the training video points out that enough track damage to cause a derailment can be a failure to damage train engines, because their immense weight keeps them stable in dangerous situations, and real life derailments prove this true. Only 2 of this train's engines were damaged after going off the track, and those two took so little damage that only some of the train's crew were injured at all in a 20 car derailment of hazardous materials that put the line out of service for about a week
https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/train-derails-near-iowa-wisconsin-border/ https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/bnsf-tracks-back-in-service-after-wisconsin-dedrailment/

My brain says to attack the more vulnerable loading and switching infrastructure instead. It requires significantly less effort to turn to scrap, is easier to do stealthily, it is seen as significantly lower priority to people who don't understand trains, and sending unbalanced trains out with overworked skeleton crews on tight schedules is generally how you get trains to damage/derail themselves

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1746832672880550056

That seems like a pretty meaningful score. Expensive gear and probably some of the better trained, harder-to-replace personnel on board.

AWACs on, AWACs off

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

Well, electric trains are a bit beyond my area of expertise, and they're probably easier to damage than a diesel train because electrical stuff tends to be more fragile...
Anyway, the real point was that you'd have to do something pretty dramatic to the train engine to completely remove it from service, and because of how trains work, you can force damaged engines back into service if they're capable of producing some power since engines are supposed to be used in tandem. Even the training video points out that enough track damage to cause a derailment can be a failure to damage train engines, because their immense weight keeps them stable in dangerous situations, and real life derailments prove this true. Only 2 of this train's engines were damaged after going off the track, and those two took so little damage that only some of the train's crew were injured at all in a 20 car derailment of hazardous materials that put the line out of service for about a week
https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/train-derails-near-iowa-wisconsin-border/ https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/bnsf-tracks-back-in-service-after-wisconsin-dedrailment/

My brain says to attack the more vulnerable loading and switching infrastructure instead. It requires significantly less effort to turn to scrap, is easier to do stealthily, it is seen as significantly lower priority to people who don't understand trains, and sending unbalanced trains out with overworked skeleton crews on tight schedules is generally how you get trains to damage/derail themselves

Switching infrastructure is easier to attack, but also easier to replace. The only thing with a longer lead time than a train engine is a train bridge.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Blistex posted:

That T-90's ERA tour was cut short.

:golfclap:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don't think even old diesels appreciate thermite and/or anti-tank mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

The Door Frame posted:

A modern diesel electric train engine built within the last 40 years is going to be heavily automated and most likely of western origin. The block might be bulletproof but all the sensors are vulnerable to fires in the machinery space surrounding and can take an extended period to re-run. These engines are also dependent on spare parts requiring advanced machining equipment and capability. They can go to China for knock offs probably but those products are 50/50 from my experience.

Actually manufacturing a new block, or sourcing one, is probably near impossible at this point without a lot of investment in domestic production and would have a long lead time.