Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I’m not in a million dollar area. We were debating the difference of 765 and 777. Anyways I agreed to it and signed the paperwork this morning. Hoping my place sells fast enough because being cash poor sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

AmbientParadox posted:

I’m not in a million dollar area. We were debating the difference of 765 and 777. Anyways I agreed to it and signed the paperwork this morning. Hoping my place sells fast enough because being cash poor sucks

777 is a great list price, you should absolutely do that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I spoke with my next-door neighbor, and she has a son who might be interested in buying my house. Man, sure would be nice to save that 6% realtor fee. But I'd need someone to walk me through the process, provide the contract, etc etc etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I spoke with my next-door neighbor, and she has a son who might be interested in buying my house. Man, sure would be nice to save that 6% realtor fee. But I'd need someone to walk me through the process, provide the contract, etc etc etc.

Make sure you do comps with what else is going on in your neighborhood to make sure you're actually getting full value.

There are a lot of "we buy lovely homes!" type scams that work that way. Not saying your neighbor's son is trying to scam you, but a lot of people expect a little bit too good of a deal going face to face like this.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

Honestly, I'd look at the comps to see how much of a lowball it is.

Absolutely, and that's the point: you need to look at the comps, not take your realtor's word for it. Or for anything.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My opinion is that more often than not this doesn't work out. If you choose to go forward, then I would suggest a real estate attorney.

Joey next door might turn out to be a nice guy with a 578 credit rating...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Make sure you do comps with what else is going on in your neighborhood to make sure you're actually getting full value.

There are a lot of "we buy lovely homes!" type scams that work that way. Not saying your neighbor's son is trying to scam you, but a lot of people expect a little bit too good of a deal going face to face like this.

For sure, and conveniently, my house is part of a 1950's development where they built like 500 identical houses, so comps are super easy to find.

daslog posted:

My opinion is that more often than not this doesn't work out. If you choose to go forward, then I would suggest a real estate attorney.

Joey next door might turn out to be a nice guy with a 578 credit rating...

Noted, thanks.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I just looked at a house that had LED touch control bathroom mirrors and it was pretty sweet. I didnt even consider thats something you can do.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

daslog posted:

Rent a U haul and a trailer to tow your car. I assume you have to get your stuff out there somehow...

I’m currently weighing options for a 2000 mile move and am currently leaning towards using PODS. An 8 x 16 shipped comes out to about 5k, a little under double the cost of a U-Haul after accounting for gas. However, this includes a month of storage at our destination and delivery to our (eventual) new home. They’ll just plop it in the driveway and we schlep the stuff right into the house

We’re moving into a furnished month to month upon moving so we can get familiar with the area before buying a spot. Though more expensive, I think the $2000 is well spent given we a) won’t have to rush against the clock (the U-Haul quote is for only 7 days of use, with the POD once it’s dropped off we just load it at our leisure and have em pick it up when it’s ready), b) it’ll save us from moving into (and subsequently out of) a storage unit, and c) I won’t have to risk driving a 20ft U-Haul 2000 miles across i70 or i80 in late February.

Seems, theoretically, pretty ideal. Not as cush as full service movers but pretty reasonable financially and way less stress then sprinting cross country in a U-Haul

hobbez fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 14, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I think a lot of it depends on how much you care about your crap. I've heard bad things about pods damaging poo poo and basically not having much recourse for it. Sometimes just straight up losing it.

Basically it seems like the kind of service that is great if you're 30 and still have a ton of college student furniture that's quasi-disposable but you don't want to just throw out, less so if you're 45 and have a bunch of expensive stuff that you're going to be mad if it comes to you all hosed up or just disappears.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I moved last time with a pod and it worked out fine. It ended up being the most economical between uhaul and real movers. It is entirely up to you to secure your stuff in the pod though, so depending on the mix of stuff you have, and how feasible it is to play tetris with packing it, you may have better or worse results. Hard to beat the convenience factor though.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

adnam posted:

Lol, I've been watching the San Diego housing market and that's a rounding error, honestly.

San Diegan here, where are you looking?

My realtor was also very good if you need a local recommendation .

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think a lot of it depends on how much you care about your crap. I've heard bad things about pods damaging poo poo and basically not having much recourse for it. Sometimes just straight up losing it.

Basically it seems like the kind of service that is great if you're 30 and still have a ton of college student furniture that's quasi-disposable but you don't want to just throw out, less so if you're 45 and have a bunch of expensive stuff that you're going to be mad if it comes to you all hosed up or just disappears.

Yeah I think this is pretty accurate. I wouldn’t want to ship my fine art collection with them but for boxes of clothing and our collection of low end consumer furnishings i think it’ll be fine. Especially with a little attention to padding and securing any wobbly bits.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Losing what, the whole pod? That seems like the kind of thing you should have recourse for

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Losing what, the whole pod? That seems like the kind of thing you should have recourse for

Not really. It's come up in this thread in the past. The poo poo they have you sign basically says that they're liable for a maximum of some stupidly small amount, like $5k or something.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I should start a pod competitor, I could probably sell the average person's belongings for way more than $5k.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Just search "pods" in this thread and you'll turn up some good stories. I'd also check the homeowners thread too.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not really. It's come up in this thread in the past. The poo poo they have you sign basically says that they're liable for a maximum of some stupidly small amount, like $5k or something.
I thought that was for long haul movers when you don't buy insurance.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have owned four houses. All of the previous three I wanted to die in. In all three cases, my decision to leave was made by employment in the area.

Realistically, I'm not going to die in this one, unless I keel over, because stairs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We went cross country 2000 sq ft house with allied. We got the insurance for $500. Moved in April 2023 just cashed the last (second) insurance check for a total of about $4000 total in unrepairable damages here in January 2024. Master bed still doesn't go together correctly, two lamps are mostly unrepairable and they wrecked my kids bunk bed

Good luck

I can go on but I've chronicled it enough in this thread

Anything you give a poo poo about, pack it yourself and triple pack it. The allied driver was late to load the truck and late to deliver so he rushed everything. Also the "movers" are local day labor. Post covid even the big moving companies are really struggling to put warm bodies in seats it's really bad now

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah it's going to be comparable to the basic "insurance" you get when you do a regular move (aka, completely useless and insultingly low). Definitely get extra insurance on anything you're moving, even your Non-descript Rock Collection.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, on a global scale, moving your pod to your new home versus moving it to the bottom of Lake Superior is basically just a rounding error.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

You guys are making the 20 ft U-Haul sound reeeeaaall appealing

Everyone at work was like “What if your U-Haul gets broken into” tho

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hobbez posted:

I’d worry less about a U-Haul in a well lit motel parking lot than a pod in a random storage yard.

I’ve moved cross country wirh my poo poo in a car once and inter-state in a U-Haul (requiring an overnight) three times. Just use some basic common sense and predictions. Park under street lights, get motels in areas with little to no foot traffic etc.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I used 'em a long rear end time ago, but ABF worked really well as a pod-type moving service for me. I guess they've re-branded it as UPack now.

https://www.upack.com/how-upack-works/equipment/moving-container/size

Do you all hate all the "pack your own container and then we'll ship it for you" services, or just pods?

I just really liked to pack and unpack at my own speed. And driving my own car, not the janky rear end uhaul truck.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can also buy extra insurance for your stuff. Like from a third party.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hobbez posted:

a u-haul full of used furniture probably isn't a great target for theft, but if you're worried at all you could get insurance to cover that. First check with your homeowner's insurance agent to see if you're already covered for theft out of a u-haul, and to what extent.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also get a penske or budget or enterprise or budget, you don't have to give money to that loving awful abusive poo poo company u-haul

e. also you can get insurance for your poo poo in the truck too

but just do the pods, the horror stories are silly, you can get insurance more than the sixty cents a pound nonsense

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I hated my PODs experience moving 1k miles on the west coast the organizing of the dropping and pick up of PODs on both sides absolutely sucked rear end and they just straight didn’t tell me for two weeks that my poo poo arrived.

I ended up needing to rent a uhaul last minute to tow my car anyway and wish I had just done a larger uhaul with paying for a couple extra days on each end. I also ended up getting a storage unit at the destination too because the POD monthly was way more expensive. This was moving on new years eve rushing to beat snow on the oregon 5 pass as well. I would either do full movers or just uhaul myself if I were doing a big move again.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

hobbez posted:

I’m currently weighing options for a 2000 mile move and am currently leaning towards using PODS. An 8 x 16 shipped comes out to about 5k, a little under double the cost of a U-Haul after accounting for gas. However, this includes a month of storage at our destination and delivery to our (eventual) new home. They’ll just plop it in the driveway and we schlep the stuff right into the house

We’re moving into a furnished month to month upon moving so we can get familiar with the area before buying a spot. Though more expensive, I think the $2000 is well spent given we a) won’t have to rush against the clock (the U-Haul quote is for only 7 days of use, with the POD once it’s dropped off we just load it at our leisure and have em pick it up when it’s ready), b) it’ll save us from moving into (and subsequently out of) a storage unit, and c) I won’t have to risk driving a 20ft U-Haul 2000 miles across i70 or i80 in late February.

Seems, theoretically, pretty ideal. Not as cush as full service movers but pretty reasonable financially and way less stress then sprinting cross country in a U-Haul

To add to the list, things to be aware of that I didn't fully consider:

1)Apparently it is possible to pack a Pod in an "unbalanced" fashion such that their Podzilla can't actually pick it up. In which case, you must repack it, with no real guidance about what exactly you need to do to fix the issue. All this while of course securing the load as best as possible so if it ever DOES successfully move, poo poo doesn't break from being jostled around. Everyting about this process was awful. You know when you don't have to worry about that? When you are renting a uhaul or the like.

2)Your pickup and dropoff locations have to actually have plenty of available space. This they tell you, I knew this going in and was already prepared to work around it. But just know that for example if you are moving somewhere with a single car driveway, you probably won't be able to place a pod there. You are moving to or from a place where the street parking has tons of tree branches that are fine for cars/trucks but too low for their podzilla? Good luck with that. Etc.

Like everything about the Pod made sense, theoretically, for the same reasons you call out. But no. I wouldn't do it again. I'd rather do uhaul or the like.

----

Also, fwiw, our home owners insurance would have covered any losses from any of the types of moves we considered(full service, pod, uhaul, etc). Definitely check yours.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

but just do the pods, the horror stories are silly, you can get insurance more than the sixty cents a pound nonsense

Also, just try doing a UHaul or Penske across anything involving mountains and you're going to hate your life, a lot. Those trucks (especially UHaul in my experience) sucked horribly even under ideal, flat circumstances, so now try driving one from Kansas to Salt Lake City or something. My little trip with one was just around Appalachia and I still would never do that again.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, I'd probably opt for a pod if I was moving more than across the city, these days. But also, the only time I've driven a Uhaul, it was almost the farthest distance possible across Washington state (from Spokane to a city significantly west of Seattle), over a mountain pass in winter, and I absolutely hate driving, doing so as infrequently as possible, and... it worked out fine. The truck was the least of my worries that weekend. As far as I can tell modern uhaul trucks are designed to be as idiot-proof as possible, for a huge loving vehicle.

It really depends on where you're parking it on either end, imo. I'd rather drive a Uhual across the country than around the block in the dense pedestrian-heavy neighborhood I live in today.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 15, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had zero issues with Uhaul ever including bouncing our truck down a lovely rural road to detour to the grand canyon and back again to the interstate. Dallas to NorCal is pretty flat except the last bit coming into socal though. Denver and all those 10,000' passes might be a pain in the rear end

I dunno if I'd pack and move the stuff into the truck again but the extra effort of hiring my own packers and movers seems like a big win instead of trusting some mega corp to hire the worst person and lowest bidder. Sure I "saved" time moving but our rowing machine is still missing parts that vibrated loose and somehow got lost. I have zero trust that allied has improved their hiring practices since April

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 15, 2024

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've only used movers once, they showed up like 3 hours later than they said they would, took about 45 minutes to drive the half mile from my rental to the house I bought, and caused some damage in that time (thankfully mostly just scratching a $50 Ikea cabinet). It was by far the most frustrating part of the entire home buying experience.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We used Mayflower. The people who handled the packing/loading and unloading were not day labor but instead employees of local relocation agencies (pretty sure the ones in VA were a union crew as well). Real experts that worked together as a team and showed up precisely when they said they would.

They did zero damage to our stuff or either house, although I dropped a coffee mug and cracked the handle getting the copious amount of packing paper off.

$9k (I think) to move a 2 bedroom + heavily furnished office from Austin TX to Richmond VA, and worth every goddamn penny.

If you are moving your cars as well do that separately. The national moves subcontract that out to a broker who then hires the actual driver and we got a sketch dude with basically zero recourse, although to be fair the cars did show up undamaged.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The biggest issue I've ever had with Uhaul is the lovely little shops that they use for their retail front. It's a whole lot of sketchy owner of a gas station running a side hustle kind of thing and the variability in service can be HUGE. We have a hard and fast rule now to schedule the pick up at least a day before we need to be loading it just to deal with bullshit.

They also run some insane just-in-time scheduling which I can kinda understand given that they're basically trying to coordinate inventory with a ton of random assholes driving across state lines. Our most recent move the big truck we got (forgot the dimensions) didn't show up on time and no one told us until pick up. The sketchy gas station guy who was running that location got really upset with us when we wouldn't accept a slightly smaller truck, and didn't like our answer that we needed the space. We ended up having to call some uhaul help support and we drove a few hours to grab the proper sized truck from another location. Luckily we hadn't scheduled the guys who were loading the truck until the next day so it worked out, but if we'd been on a tighter schedule it could have been a clusterfuck.

The trucks themselves have always worked fine. The worst I've ever seen was some cosmetic damage to the cab. I'm sure people have break downs, but across the dozen or so rentals I've done over the last 20 years I've never seen anything that screamed poorly maintained or just lovely trucks.

Now, that said, the interiors are pretty bare bones. This is a fleet vehicle, I think the last one I was in didn't have anything more than an AM/FM radio. So you know be prepared with a little BT speaker so you can listen to something that you'll actually like. YMMV on seat comfort, I think they're fine but I also don't think people who complain about them are nuts. It's only semi-adjustable bench seating that will remind you of your dad's chevvy from the 80s.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The trucks themselves have always worked fine. The worst I've ever seen was some cosmetic damage to the cab. I'm sure people have break downs, but across the dozen or so rentals I've done over the last 20 years I've never seen anything that screamed poorly maintained or just lovely trucks.

I've heard numerous stories of bare tires.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

The biggest issue I've ever had with Uhaul is the lovely little shops that they use for their retail front. It's a whole lot of sketchy owner of a gas station running a side hustle kind of thing and the variability in service can be HUGE. We have a hard and fast rule now to schedule the pick up at least a day before we need to be loading it just to deal with bullshit.

U-Haul is largely a franchise business, probably ~90% franchises vs. corporate owned. It's an interesting application of the franchise model. So those shops you see as the retail front probably own the shop and have a franchise agreement.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

TheBacon posted:

I also ended up getting a storage unit at the destination too because the POD monthly was way more expensive.

Yeah this is low key how they get you. They charge 320$/month for storage. Though hopefully that’s only for a few months, you never know, finding our next home could drag on, in which case it would be great to be in somewhere that’s half as much or whatever.

As far as our actual route, I’m driving from Denver to New England. It’s about as flat a route as you could hope for. The only variable is having to do the drive in the winter, but I guess if a storm rolls through you just hunker down for an extra day or whatever.

poo poo come to think of it I’ve caught some very nasty hail, rain, and wind driving across Nebraska/Iowa in the summer time too. I guess the weather can kinda become a factor any season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Uthor posted:

I've heard numerous stories of bare tires.

Never seen it myself, but that's the kind of thing where you refuse the truck on safety grounds and have them source you another one. Which, yes, is going to be a giant pain in the dick and might involve you going a few hours out of your way to pick a new one up. And that circles back to my advice to always give yourself one extra day of rental, at a minimum, before you need to be loading and leaving to sort out any dumb bullshit.