Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I've lost a ton of weight over the last year to the point I'll be needing to get surgery to have some spare skin taken away. I was jokingly saying I should see if I can keep it and get a book bound.

Then I realised it'd be a book with a bellybutton on the front, and I lost all interest in the idea
You could use your fingers to make it look like it's reading itself out loud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gromit posted:

You say bellybutton, I say gem-holder.

We probably have enough Steven Universe fanfiction.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Remulak posted:

I’d read the book but then I’d remember and say every single syllable of the spell to stop it.

Well, basically you'd say them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We probably have enough Steven Universe fanfiction.

That's how you get people to read your skinflick.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Evil Dead Rise: this could apply to all of the evil dead movies, but after just looking at the book, can you just...not? Don't read from it, don't play records from it, just put it back. If it was any good they'd be printing it on something other than human skin.

Or at least the first record you make should be the one where you warn about reading the book. Don't make it the last.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
The events of the Ash vs. Evil Dead TV show are kicked off because Ash brought a floozy back to his trailer and, in lieu of poetry, attempted to seduce her by reading from the Necronomicon.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

The events of the Ash vs. Evil Dead TV show are kicked off because Ash brought a floozy back to his trailer and, in lieu of poetry, attempted to seduce her by reading from the Necronomicon.

God drat that show owned.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I had an evil book I would simply give it to the shortest person I know and tell them to throw it into a volcano.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Biplane posted:

God drat that show owned.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Tenkaris posted:

Interesting but perhaps the thought was about matching mouth movement because the teens in German are shorter like vier-zehn for 14, while 23 is drei-and-zwan-zig

But then I get to the part with inch versus cent-i-met-er and I don't know what to think anymore

One of the action figure soldiers says it and I don't recall them having very detailed mouth movements to start with.

Come to think of it I think with all the AI poo poo going on currently it's about due for one of those horrible 20 years later sequels.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
e: oops

VROOM VROOM has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Jan 15, 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

One of the action figure soldiers says it and I don't recall them having very detailed mouth movements to start with.

Come to think of it I think with all the AI poo poo going on currently it's about due for one of those horrible 20 years later sequels.

It's just simple syllable-based jaw-flapping

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I've lost a ton of weight over the last year to the point I'll be needing to get surgery to have some spare skin taken away. I was jokingly saying I should see if I can keep it and get a book bound.

Then I realised it'd be a book with a bellybutton on the front, and I lost all interest in the idea

You don't want to own an authentic navel logbook?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Crescent Wrench posted:

You know, I was going to ask why no one ever tried, you know, just burning the cursed book, but now I realize... it's because Ash is the world's horniest idiot, isn't it?

Also an IIMM about the Necronomicon in media: that the Necronomicon is always portrayed as a cursed tome that turns anyone near it evil/crazy. In Lovecraft's work, it wasn't, it was just a book written by a mad monk that, yes, it contained forbidden knowledge, but there were actually in-universe translations of it. Hell, there were multiple copies of it. The book itself wasn't evil, just if you did the wrong spells without taking proper precautions. It's like saying "reading from the Anarchists Cookbook will turn you into a flesh-eating zombie!"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He burns it at the end of the first one and the book isn't the Necronomicon but a different cursed book called Naturom Demento

There's a big claymotion sequence where the book burning causes the possessed to melt into goop which was probably 40% of the entire films budget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzv2EqTGG1w
PURE CINEMA

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 13:24 on Jan 15, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

He burns it at the end of the first one and the book isn't the Necronomicon but a different cursed book called Naturom Demento

There's a big claymotion sequence where the book burning causes the possessed to melt into goop which was probably 40% of the entire films budget

PURE CINEMA

... that's fair, it's been a long time since I saw the first Evil Dead.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like to think that burning the book made him forget he has been to the cabin so he can come back in ED2.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I want trailers back where the guy does the voiceover. I miss voiceover trailers.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

I like to think that burning the book made him forget he has been to the cabin so he can come back in ED2.

On one of the commentaries, Bruce Campbell says something to the effect of "Ash didn't forget, he's just that stupid."

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

FreudianSlippers posted:

PURE CINEMA

Fun fact, Joel Coen actually did work on this movie lmao

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

caspergers posted:

Fun fact, Joel Coen actually did work on this movie lmao

The Coens shared a house in LA with Raimi, Frances McDormand, Holly Hunter and Kathy Bates in the '80s.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Yeah, Raimi and the Coen bros were/are friends and worked on a bunch of projects together in the early parts of their careers. Raimi co-wrote and was a 2nd unit director on The Hudsucker Proxy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Coens got their first feature made by following Raimi's advice and making a proof of concept and showing it to investors.

Raimi made Within the Woods, a short Super 8 Horror film to raise the money for Evil Dead and the Coens made a fake trailer for their script Blood Simple.

A fake trailer featuring their friend Bruce Campbell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9owNNoMRoxo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Raimi also taught the Coens how to shoot in snow for Fargo after he did A Simple Plan.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I watched the second Jurassic World movie, and... I feel like I'm a real dummy, like I definitely missed something. But -- is the idea here, that there is a giant volcano that will destroy the entire island. So the events of Jurassic World wouldn't have even fuckin mattered because these dumbasses built the entire facility right next to a volcano that was due to erupt in a few years anyway?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

FFT posted:

"Covert" teams probably get to choose if they're up for a mission

"Covert" in quotes because, again, minigun

Hey, it’s deniable if no witnesses survive after all (also, if saying what happened got the madmen with a minigun and tons of explosives to possibly come back to finish the job, I’d certainly try to develop convenient amnesia about them).

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Coens shared a house in LA with Raimi, Frances McDormand, Holly Hunter and Kathy Bates in the '80s.

I would watch this sitcom.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nameless Pete posted:

I would watch this drama.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Robert Downey Jr, Rob Lowe, Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez and Sean Penn all went to the same high school around the same time. Now that's a sitcom.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Road to El Dorado
A Spanish character (from Spain) jokingly says that El Dorado must be a native term meaning big rock.
That joke would only make sense if the guy was canonically (diegetically?) speaking English, rather than that just being a cinematic convention.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

credburn posted:

I watched the second Jurassic World movie, and... I feel like I'm a real dummy, like I definitely missed something. But -- is the idea here, that there is a giant volcano that will destroy the entire island. So the events of Jurassic World wouldn't have even fuckin mattered because these dumbasses built the entire facility right next to a volcano that was due to erupt in a few years anyway?

Well, they would've had a park for 25 years I guess.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

credburn posted:

Jurassic Park has always been a 'man cannot tame the might and power of nature forever' story, but the World movies just completely gave up on any subtlety or craft present in the original and slapped on everything that metaphor could entail.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bk. posted:

Road to El Dorado
A Spanish character (from Spain) jokingly says that El Dorado must be a native term meaning big rock.
That joke would only make sense if the guy was canonically (diegetically?) speaking English, rather than that just being a cinematic convention.

Or it could be a False Friend, so El Dorado does mean City of Gold or whatever in Spanish, but he's implying that the indigenous people have a very similar phrase with a completely different meaning in their own language that happens to sound like it.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Shard posted:

I love predator. I'm watching it again. But I am losing it over the idea that Dutch's team had to be tricked to do this mission. Unless I really misunderstand how the military works, why does Dutch get to pick and choose his missions? Or is his group a merc group that contracts with the military?
Was it that Dutch got to choose the mission?

I always took it as being that his team were requested by the General (and Dillon) and that they were being 'used' as cover to gain access to the enemy base.

I don't recall anything that suggested that Dutch & Co. could say "gently caress you, General, we're not going to do it and there's nothing you can do about it", but I could be wrong.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Or it could be a False Friend, so El Dorado does mean City of Gold or whatever in Spanish, but he's implying that the indigenous people have a very similar phrase with a completely different meaning in their own language that happens to sound like it.

Actually, all characters in the movie (including the horse and armadillo) understand each other without any problems.
So it's a moot point either way.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

GazChap posted:

Was it that Dutch got to choose the mission?

I always took it as being that his team were requested by the General (and Dillon) and that they were being 'used' as cover to gain access to the enemy base.

I don't recall anything that suggested that Dutch & Co. could say "gently caress you, General, we're not going to do it and there's nothing you can do about it", but I could be wrong.

Dutch: Why us?
Dillon: Because nobody else could've pulled it off. You're pissed about the cover story, I knew I couldn't get you in here without it.

Dutch being able to choose the mission is explicit in the script, there's no ambiguity.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

muscles like this! posted:

Robert Downey Jr, Rob Lowe, Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez and Sean Penn all went to the same high school around the same time. Now that's a sitcom.

Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez could play brothers. :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez could play brothers. :v:

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Bk. posted:

Road to El Dorado

Similar to rhyming schemes in Tolkien's poetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I got some things that are annoying me in television!

True Detective, Season 1. Apparently this kind of annoying quote, "time is a flat circle" isn't actually that old; it's based on old things but the quote is from True Detective. What annoys me is the term "flat circle." What the gently caress is a flat circle? A circle is already flat, so did he mean "a flat sphere," in which case he just means, a circle? Or was he saying that you flatten the circle down to the point where it just becomes a line, indistinguishable from another line? This quote loving sucks and people sometimes repeat it thinking they're being profound or whatever.

Fargo, Season 1. What the gently caress tipped the cop lady to look in the washing machine? There was nothing off about it. She just walks into the basement and thinks, hey I wonder if someone stashed a murder weapon inside the washing machine, I'll just unscrew the back and pry it all apart. What the gently caress is this. Also, in the second-to-last episode, the fuckin bad guy's location is discovered how?? Because, entirely unrelated to everything else, a wolf happens to walk across the road? Give me a loving break.