Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bret Hart is an absolute 100% mark for Bret Hart. It's great/awful in equal parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave got an update on Reigns: not only won't he wrestle at EC, he won't at Mania Backlash either

Great gig he's got. 7 matches that aired last year, on pace for 6 this year, champ throughout it all

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It pains me to say it but I acknowledge him as the goat

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm hearing that Roman is skipping Mania as well.

He told me.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

More shirts than matches, roman is king.

In other news, a PLE-level card tonight

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Dominik is fighting himself?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Put the strap on Jinder, lads

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

RandolphCarter posted:

It pains me to say it but I acknowledge him as the goat

Yeah he’s the goat. A

Guy
On
A
Tiny amount of shows every year

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

who on earth would tune in for this filth

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
My one dream is there is a wrestling draft so WWE takes MJF and AEW takes GUNTHER

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Alan_Shore posted:

who on earth would tune in for this filth

We know who. And it isn't pretty

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BrigadierSensible posted:

I also read his book and am entirely in agreement with you.

In addition to the points you make, what got me is how much of a precious whiny crybaby he comes across as.

"Wrestling is fake, so why are they kicking up a stink that they have to lose to us? But we are the champs, it doesn't male sense that we would lose, that would make us weaker than them, and we all know that's not true."

Yep. I'm in the WWF stuff now and this comes through constantly.

And fair enough: I appreciate that this is a warts and all autobiography, and I respect him for painting an unflattering image of himself. I wonder if he realizes how badly he comes off when he's talking about constantly cheating on his wife, repeating how constantly cheating on his wife made him feel so guilty, but he still kept doing it because he just couldn't handle being alone, and if he hadn't been constantly cheating on his wife, he would've been doing coke every night so hey, constantly cheating on his wife actually saved his life so who's to say if it was actually that bad to constantly cheat on his wife? And of course the actual truth was probably even worse than the version he presents here.

One thing I will say is that it is absolutely wild to hear about how many 80s wrestlers just basically lived on a mixture of cocaine and downers. And lol at Shawn and his buddy not lasting even one day in the WWF originally, getting fired for getting drunk as gently caress and wrecking a bar on their first day.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hang on though, this is what Wikipedia says about the back injury Dynamite Kid suffered that should've ended his career:

quote:

Dynamite Kid would suffer a serious injury in a tag-team match that took place in December 1986 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, against Don Muraco and Bob Orton, Jr.[19] and several wrestlers including Roddy Piper, Junkyard Dog and Billy Jack Haynes would substitute for him when tag title defenses were made. While recovering in the hospital from back surgery, Billington would later recount that Bret Hart showed up and stated that Vince McMahon had sent him to get Dynamite's tag belt; Billington refused

And this is what Bret says, supposedly based on the audio diaries he kept.

quote:

Little did anyone know—least of all Jim, Tom, Davey and me—that The Hart Foundation and The British Bulldogs would have one of our last great matches on November 1, 1986, at the old Boston Garden.

We huddled together in the damp, sweaty dressing room going over the finish that Pat had given us. As usual, Davey and Jim sat with blank, empty stares as Tom and I envisioned it all for them. The Bulldogs were going over, as always. I had a couple of new spots I wanted to experiment with, and I laid them out to Davey while Tom threw down a couple of Percocets with a gulp of coffee. Pat gave us the nod and out we went, wearing our new black gear with a pink stripe down the side of each leg.

The Bulldogs marched out with their new mascot, an actual, ancient Bulldog named Matilda, who was only slightly cheaper and caused only slightly fewer headaches than their now ex-manager, Lou Albano. Lou was always getting drunk backstage and at Tom’s urging, more as a joke, Lou told Vince to go gently caress himself—as it turned out, one time too many.

As we went into the finish, Anvil hoisted Dynamite up and slammed him hard to the mat. Tom grimaced as he moaned, “Ooh me fooking back!”

Afterwards, in the dressing room, when I asked him whether he was okay, he told me it was just a spasm. He would turn out to be very wrong. Back at the Ramada bar Tom seemed to be fine as he chatted it up with a couple of the regular ring rats, Grizelda and Slippers. The ten Percocets he took throughout the night made the sharp pain go away long enough for him to pretend it was nothing to worry about.

So he has it happening in November, not December. And he has it happening in a match against him and Neidhart, not against Bob Orton and Don Muraco. And in Boston, not in Ontario.

E: never mind, now that I re-read the section while not being very tired, I notice that a few paragraphs later Bret mentions the Ontario injury:

quote:

When I phoned home in mid-December, Julie told me that Tom had seriously hurt his back during a match in Hamilton and that he’d been taken away in an ambulance.

My bad. But kinda weird not to really connect the two in any way in his book, when it's pretty obvious he suffered his serious back injury in November, and aggravated it in December.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 15, 2024

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

JD McDonagh looks like if Austin Gunn was a pickup artist

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Alaois posted:

JD McDonagh looks like if Austin Gunn was a pickup artist abusive partner

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

projecthalaxy posted:

lol jfc is that what Dominik Mysterio looks like these days?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i know that part, but one naturally leads into the other

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

lol jfc is that what Dominik Mysterio looks like these days?

Considering how much wwe retouches and reuses photos, I'm going to go with "possibly".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

projecthalaxy posted:

Considering how much wwe retouches and reuses photos, I'm going to go with "possibly".

Awesome to see a wrestler with access to professional stylists rocking the same haircut I did as an angry grunge teen 30 years ago.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

i've got bad news for you about whats currently trendy with teens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Man if only I had been born 30 years later, I could have been cool.

(I would not have been cool)

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Sisal Two-Step posted:

We were watching Hackers last night and I was delighted to see how much of the fashion in that movie (not all, for sure) has just come back around again. Now we just need roller blade arcades.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah pooping loser…………………………..event

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Curious to see how Seth and Jinder compares to Joe and HOOK Wednesday.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Ganso Bomb posted:

We were watching Hackers last night and I was delighted to see how much of the fashion in that movie (not all, for sure) has just come back around again. Now we just need roller blade arcades.

we've got a local business that creates pop-up roller rinks in empty mall stores, like old H&Ms are Zaras and stuff. it's great.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Reset the days without a hosed up knee counter.

https://x.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1746952757184217167?s=20

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

seriously what is it about the wwe style or training style that's doing so much damage to these folk's knees?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Shard posted:

seriously what is it about the wwe style or training style that's doing so much damage to these folk's knees?

Doing the kane pedigree bump, but on every move

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Sorry for the answer that does not LOL at the PC but women athletes tear their ACLs at a much higher rate than men do. It was a big point of discussion in women's soccer in particular a little while back because they had a big wave of high-profile players going down with ACL injuries

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

but also, their training focuses too much on rolling

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ah that blows for her. She just came back last month after a few months break. (I don't think it was an injury)

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

crossfit is hell on the joints if done too quickly/improperly and they do a lot of it at the pc

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

xbilkis posted:

Sorry for the answer that does not LOL at the PC but women athletes tear their ACLs at a much higher rate than men do. It was a big point of discussion in women's soccer in particular a little while back because they had a big wave of high-profile players going down with ACL injuries

Yeah, there's been a plenty of articles lately. Here's a couple of fresh ones:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/15/fifpro-research-reveals-factors-affecting-acl-injuries-in-womens-game
https://www.skysports.com/football/...tions-to-fix-it

That said, WWE's PC seems to have strikingly high injury rate. Honestly them funding medical research might be beneficial to them and women's sports in general.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Joey McChrist posted:

crossfit is hell on the joints if done too quickly/improperly and they do a lot of it at the pc

Crossfit is like the communism of the fitness world: it keeps loving everyone up and leaving behind broken and ruined human beings, but apparently that's just because nobody's ever done it properly.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They obviously overtrain people and knees are just a really common part of the body to fail first from being overworked. They're barely keeping it together on a good day.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Crossfit is like the communism of the fitness world: it keeps loving everyone up and leaving behind broken and ruined human beings, but apparently that's just because nobody's ever done it properly.

I'm making the same joke about your favorite political ideology

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Every time you gently caress up a drill they let Charlotte put you in a shoot figure 8

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Its all thanks to tensai

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
surely house shows aren't this important

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

They obviously overtrain people and knees are just a really common part of the body to fail first from being overworked. They're barely keeping it together on a good day.

I'm making the same joke about your favorite political ideology

If you enjoyed a PLE, thank capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

They just need to get everyone in NXT on the Orton/Styles/McIntyre Wellness program, problem solved