Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Reports that a US cargo ship was hit with a missile by Houthis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

*sick bass riff*

I'm gonna fight 'em off

couldn't hold me back

lol

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Raccooon posted:

oh god history has to restart again today

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Raccooon posted:

https://twitter.com/MSN/status/1746939425303536059

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Raccooon posted:

Explicitly connected to Israel; verdict: clean shoot.

I keep seeing people claim that the targeting by Ansar Allah is "indiscriminate" but never with actual citations. The few times there was a specific boat was question it was always very obviously a flag of convenience thing or whatever.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
but but but i was told houthis got annihilated by the ghost of kiev

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Owlbear Camus posted:

The minimum commitment is almost certainly token, yeah. A transfer officer or something. Like in that episode of Star Trek where Riker serves on a Klingon ship for one 42 minute episode before returning to the Enterprise.

You'll see the list of upcoming postings, like one officer Captain and above for Naples, one officer Major and above with staff training to Brussels etc. and depending on what that headquarters is, that's "Canadian participation in Operation X".

Mister Bates posted:

*sick bass riff*

I'm gonna fight 'em off

couldn't hold me back

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

fishy af that there was a us cargo ship within range

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Owlbear Camus posted:

Explicitly connected to Israel; verdict: clean shoot.

I keep seeing people claim that the targeting by Ansar Allah is "indiscriminate" but never with actual citations. The few times there was a specific boat was question it was always very obviously a flag of convenience thing or whatever.

People really do believe ports of call and ownership, and charter/operator information are some arcane hidden knowledge

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al! posted:

fishy af that there was a us cargo ship within range

it was carrying medikle subblies

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

seal team 86ed

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

carcinofuck posted:

y'all will never come to any real answer until you understand the role of the renaissance in desacralizing the world and making man the measure of all things. it's only after you've ruined the basis of your civilization that you can come to so profoundly misunderstand every other civilization.

I think you mean the Enlightenment not the Renaissance

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Speleothing posted:

I think you mean the Enlightenment not the Renaissance

I was trying to avoid being pedantic, but this is worth pointing out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Excuse me, but I learned in staff college that the Aden Emergency was a textbook example of Operations Other Than War, just like Malaya was a textbook example of COIN.

I had a Kikuyu guy in my lecture on the Mau-Mau which was pretty awkward though.

wait lol they taught that as something to do? It ended a couple of years later with the British fleeing back into their ships.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

People really do believe ports of call and ownership, and charter/operator information are some arcane hidden knowledge

Man it is amazing that Liberia and Seychelles own all these ships and it is utterly barbaric that the Houthis are picking on these tiny nations

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This is the most advanced case of Westoid brain I've ever seen. If the Israeli and Western media aren't reporting on it then it's not happening.

https://twitter.com/constans/status/1746695364206272649?s=20
https://twitter.com/constans/status/1746700923101938028?s=20
https://twitter.com/constans/status/1746943120330170649?s=20

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

Man it is amazing that Liberia and Seychelles own all these ships and it is utterly barbaric that the Houthis are picking on these tiny nations

it was flagged in panama, how could they do this to central americans

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
https://x.com/ME_Observer_/status/1746922108427374787?t=wACGCCky1LgxYER2pDPhUw&s=08

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I hate to draw more comparisons to Ukraine but this mindset of unflagging optimism in the face of overwhelming difficulty is psychotically delusional, and only guarantees more mass death. You can't just cover everything up "for morale" and expect things to last that way forever. Israelis and Americans actually believe that Hamas has been degraded or even dismantled while the situation keeps getting worse. When reality asserts itself people aren't going to quietly accept the new state of affairs, they're going to blame their internal enemies and start killing people.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is the most advanced case of Westoid brain I've ever seen. If the Israeli and Western media aren't reporting on it then it's not happening.

why are you shadowboxing with nobodies on a different website. what a dumb waste of time

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Anti-ballistic?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Apparently the cargo ship just suffered a dent from the missile and is sailing on. What are these ballistic missiles being deployed that seemingly, in this case, don't pack a lot of punch? It makes me wonder how big a threat to shipping beyond hijacking exists that requires the West getting into military strikes on yet another country.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

AHHHH MY BMW!!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

genericnick posted:

Anti-ballistic?

anti-ship ballistic, i think it's a typo

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Bel Shazar posted:

Being a position I hold, I would love your opinion on where it becomes inconsistent.

I guess for clarity, I'm a Palestine supporter and am currently in favor of Ukraine being supported because I'm against unilateral state violence. Not a fan of the global community as a whole doing it either, but there's room for discussion there.

I apply that same view to the US's wars in Afghanistan, Iraq... whole GWOT really, etc.

I'd check out the Ukraine thread, I've talked about this a bit, and more importantly others have talked about in a more educated, articulate way than i can. Tbh as long as you're not a dick you should get decent answers.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Olga Gurlukovich posted:

why are you shadowboxing with nobodies on a different website. what a dumb waste of time

Almost every post that has ever been made is a dumb waste of time

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I mean, fair's fair

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

just a flesh wound

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Rip Testes posted:

Apparently the cargo ship just suffered a dent from the missile and is sailing on. What are these ballistic missiles being deployed that seemingly, in this case, don't pack a lot of punch? It makes me wonder how big a threat to shipping beyond hijacking exists that requires the West getting into military strikes on yet another country.

Are the insurance underwriters who evaluate shipping routes really going to look at that video and say "seems fine"?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

*sick bass riff*

I'm gonna fight 'em off

couldn't hold me back

lmao

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This movie might be the biggest rah-rah bullshit since BHD, but it's got some pretty fun moments. Chiefly this, and also the scene where the SEALs are overrun by Taliban and they decide to just... fall down the mountainside to evade them. It's a solid minute or more of these dudes just tumbling down cliffs hitting their heads on trees and rocks. I thought I was watching Hot Rod.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

The ship is sailing on because of their crew and captain's very handsome bravery, not because it was a dent.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I hate to draw more comparisons to Ukraine but this mindset of unflagging optimism in the face of overwhelming difficulty is psychotically delusional, and only guarantees more mass death. You can't just cover everything up "for morale" and expect things to last that way forever. Israelis and Americans actually believe that Hamas has been degraded or even dismantled while the situation keeps getting worse. When reality asserts itself people aren't going to quietly accept the new state of affairs, they're going to blame their internal enemies and start killing people.

What are they going to do? Sink merchant ships at the same rate as the Battle of the Atlantic? :smuggo:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wolf Blitzer announcing the ship getting hit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJvyw_pxGRc

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Wolf Blitzer announcing the ship getting hit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJvyw_pxGRc

that's quite the distance from areas the houthis control

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Raccooon posted:

Looks like it's happening

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

Looks like it's happening

The response is going to be horrific. gently caress villains like Israel.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

What are they going to do? Sink merchant ships at the same rate as the Battle of the Atlantic? :smuggo:

We've been posting about the inability of First World powers to ramp up production for something as straightforward as artillery shells since the Ukraine war started, and now this event is giving everyone reason to ramp up their navies as well. At a time when US dockyards are practically derelict.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
video is unrelated, it's not the ship that was hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

genericnick posted:

I mean, fair's fair

Actually fair would be bombing an empty field in Nebraska and declaring victory