Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is a distraction from the real issue which is that the law and order music kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I stopped watching that guy's videos when he released an hour and twenty minute analysis of Paw Patrol. It's impossible to take someone who has done that seriously.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

paw patrol is copaganda

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm not gonna sit here and pretend L&O doesn't have an agenda, but McCoy is criticized in universe from the get-go by his fellow ADAs and/or by the DA. And it's not some strawman for him to beat down, their arguments are given due weight and tons of episodes end pretty ambiguously. It raises questions then leaves the "definitive answer" to those questions up in the air. I'm a big fan of the McCoy/Kincaid pair (like a lot of old school L&O fans) and I found in my most recent re-waatch that Claire made the better arguments much of the time.

Speaking of which, McCoy loves the death penalty, sure, but one of the best episodes of L&O - Aftershocks - is showing everyone's reaction to an actual execution. There is no ambiguity here with how much it fucks up absolutely everyone, the cops and he prosecutors. Pretty sure this is the ep where McCoy is at a bar getting wasted and reflecting on his abusive childhood.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is a distraction from the real issue which is that the law and order music kicks rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrrCbjVqFBA

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

I finished watching this and I’m not sure this guy has ever actually watched L&O, he seems to have read a bunch of analyses and ran around looking for clips. It’s pretty obvious when he’s got multiple times where he’s talking about the ADA characters on the show and showing footage of a police psychiatrist, not an ADA; also when he goes “the only people who get bail in L&O are evil criminals who will commit crimes again!” (bail hearings/arraignment are nearly always the first courtroom scene and are done without issue 99%).

That's bizarre. Is he only planning to do one episode on all of Law and Order? That's, what, 30+ years of a ton of shows? Even if you're zeroing in on the major ones like the OG and Special Victims Unit I feel like you'd need to give each one its own episode or even multi-series analysis to actually address how its role as copaganda has changed over the decades. That can't even be bad for metrics given how hugely popular those shows are.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's bizarre. Is he only planning to do one episode on all of Law and Order? That's, what, 30+ years of a ton of shows? Even if you're zeroing in on the major ones like the OG and Special Victims Unit I feel like you'd need to give each one its own episode or even multi-series analysis to actually address how its role as copaganda has changed over the decades. That can't even be bad for metrics given how hugely popular those shows are.

He’s doing a second one, at least.

I think that’s honestly part of the problem, I think sometimes you get analyses of L&O where people watch SVU and assume vanilla L&O works the same way. Then stuff like “only bad guys who are gonna commit more crimes get bail” makes more sense as an idea, because that’s a frequent plot point in SVU, but it doesn’t work like that in the original.

He also yeah, just talks about the show as if it’s never changed over 20+ years. Like complaining about the young attractive female ADAs as Dick Wolf being creepy and never mentioning how that came about due to an infamous demand from NBC to add women or the show would be cancelled before the 4th season.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
anyway here's 2+ hours of nerds yelling about seams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKaIXvtJr_4

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

He’s doing a second one, at least.

I think that’s honestly part of the problem, I think sometimes you get analyses of L&O where people watch SVU and assume vanilla L&O works the same way. Then stuff like “only bad guys who are gonna commit more crimes get bail” makes more sense as an idea, because that’s a frequent plot point in SVU, but it doesn’t work like that in the original.

He also yeah, just talks about the show as if it’s never changed over 20+ years. Like complaining about the young attractive female ADAs as Dick Wolf being creepy and never mentioning how that came about due to an infamous demand from NBC to add women or the show would be cancelled before the 4th season.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. SVU is fun trash, but it's absolutely more lurid, melodramatic, and prone to glamorizing civil rights violations. The original Law & Order isn't immune to sensationalization or presenting Jack at his most giddily faschy, but all the seasons I've seen over the years were comparatively low-key about it. The cops and prosecutors do gently caress up and are called out for that. It's still a crime show where they're the protagonists, so yes, there's issues there because the audience is inclined to side with them anyway. Plus with the long-running series the characters are compelled to stick around, and thus have to dodge the most serious consequences of their actions in favor of the status quo. That seems like a way more interesting avenue to analyze shows as massive as those.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I want more reexaminations of Dick Wolf's other 90s cop show, the one meant to really connect with the urban youth of the day, New York Undercover

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Flying Zamboni posted:

I stopped watching that guy's videos when he released an hour and twenty minute analysis of Paw Patrol. It's impossible to take someone who has done that seriously.
there are multiple articles about How To Talk To Your Child About Paw Patrol

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

SexyBlindfold posted:

anyway here's 2+ hours of nerds yelling about seams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKaIXvtJr_4

Oh, this is my poo poo :swoon:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Remember that time Stabler went to eastern europe to hunt a pedophile and the local police walk him around going "and there is where they sell the children. Oh we can't do anything to stop it we're just too weak legally speaking" and then stabler tortures a guy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've never watched L&O/SVU/etc but I do like that episode of Columbo where he goes to London and helps the local police solve a murder by just straight up planting evidence on the culprit and everybody thinks this is good and funny.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sydin posted:

I've never watched L&O/SVU/etc but I do like that episode of Columbo where he goes to London and helps the local police solve a murder by just straight up planting evidence on the culprit and everybody thinks this is good and funny.

I mean, that sounds like the Met

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
columbo ftw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
columbo is copaganda

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Endorph posted:

there are multiple articles about How To Talk To Your Child About Paw Patrol

Oh I'm well aware lol. I have two kids and the hand writing about Paw Patrol is funny to me because most kids are going to grow out of watching the show before they can even consistently write their own name without putting half the letters backwards. The show about making sure that the mean mayor doesn't use a giant fan to ruin a baking competition is not going to leave a lasting impression on anyone.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

columbo is copaganda

If Columbo does it, it's good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mycophobia posted:

columbo ftw

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

columbo is copaganda

Yes but it's copaganda where the main cop doesn't carry a gun and spends 99% of his time annoying the gently caress out of rich dick heads

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
thats not what copaganda is lol

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

detective shows peaked with Murder She Wrote

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
phoenix wright ace attorney is copaganda

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Feels Villeneuve posted:

phoenix wright ace attorney is copaganda

Gumshoe never does anything right though

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Phoenix Wright is mostly about how horrible the Japanese legal system is.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Came across a really fascinating essay by a small creator taking on game design, politics, and historicity through the lens of Paradox games and Civilization. Even if you aren't a Paradox player and just enjoy gaming and history it's a great listen.

https://youtu.be/Jo-uUqeFjik?si=OSB49_wZhrlPi_Pa

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBnO3YfUakw
Fun to get a look at Thor's own process and thinking about the thumbnails he makes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Phoenix Wright is mostly about how horrible the Japanese legal system is.

There's been an... interesting trend in the Persona games.

Persona 3: "We work for a secret government organization to save the world"
Persona 4: "Golly gee, we need to help the police stop the murders because the actual cause is so crazy! But they would be able to handle it on their own barring the one bad apple"
Persona 5: "The police beat and drug suspects to get confessions, the government is corrupt, everyone in a position of power is either corrupt or ground down, Smash the system."

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Randalor posted:

There's been an... interesting trend in the Persona games.

Persona 3: "We work for a secret government organization to save the world"
Persona 4: "Golly gee, we need to help the police stop the murders because the actual cause is so crazy! But they would be able to handle it on their own barring the one bad apple"
Persona 5: "The police beat and drug suspects to get confessions, the government is corrupt, everyone in a position of power is either corrupt or ground down, Smash the system."

Fingers crossed for the doohickey's appearance in persona 6

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Randalor posted:

Except for the good prosecutor who's just trying to get to the bottom of this, and then at the end of the (original) game you decide to work within the system to get stuff done lol

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

People acting like Persona 5 has some radical politics or whatever will always be insane to me

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

maybe persona 6 will have a gay character that isn't a punchline (it will not do this), or maybe it will not leer at it's high school girl characters for once (it will continue to do this)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Persona 5 has some of the least ambitious rebellion possible, given the scope the story.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Persona games are wildly pro-status quo to the point of incoherence.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah P5 pulls its punches constantly and pretty much also comes down on the side of the corruption being a case of bad apples (Shido, SIU director, etc) and has both Sae as well as Makoto who's dream is to become chief of police and change the system from within (lol). Strikers leans in a little bit harder towards "no actually the cops just suck" and has Zenkichi gently telling Makoto her dream is dumb as poo poo and eventually she'll hit a point where she either sacrifices her ideals or washes out, but that one also kinda ends on a note implying he, Sae and Kaburagi will - as the good cops - eventually clean things up. Ultimately as said it's a series with no interest in actually putting forward better alternatives to the current status quo of Japanese society and liberal democracy at large, but also it's like a JRPG dating sim and it's funny that people expected it to end with Joker wheeling out the guillotines or something.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean, I guess he actually does wheel out the guillotines, but he only uses them for persona fusions, not for social revolution.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

Yes but it's copaganda where the main cop doesn't carry a gun and spends 99% of his time annoying the gently caress out of rich dick heads

It's true. Nothing Columbo does actual cops do. Like "be polite" or "be effective." It's far too aspirational for real cops.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SIU Director ftw. He's my favorite character

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Saagonsa posted:

People acting like Persona 5 has some radical politics or whatever will always be insane to me

That's what I get for getting impressions of them via other people I guess

I've only played the SMT side of the house that generally inevitably involve "dethroning god" so I assumed the people talking about P5 being radical was like "okay I mean it's not to the same level as that but it tracks"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

paw patrol is copaganda

chud patrol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The only thing I know about Paw Patrol are impressions from long-suffering goon parents. Apparently they give up the everyday heroes theme in favor of Dog Avengers by like season 2. And there's dinosaurs in the Paw Patrol?!?