Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

change my name posted:

I'm going to mention this in my review FWIW, adjusting the volume while playing a game is annoying as hell because of this

Try experimenting with nvidia driver version 546.17 or earlier to see whether that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

People with mediocre HDR monitors always complain about how washed out or low-contrast-looking the image gets when you enter into HDR mode in Windows, but I can tell you that this is by far the best-looking monitor I've ever seen for windows content while in HDR mode.

OLED-wise I only have my LG C2 to compare to for Windows HDR mode on/off, but it's interesting because I had this exact same thought except for the LG 27GR95UM I've been testing the last few days. It has the firmware issues I've previously mentioned, and I'm not saying it's equal to OLED for HDR, but it is the first HDR monitor I've personally used where I could leave HDR on in Windows and it still looked great. I'm not sure if that's because of the number of miniLEDs and zones, the polarizer it has on it, or what, but it looks amazing for normal usage. For whatever issues the firmware/dimming algorithm currently have with HDR for games/movies, the local dimming does actually work extremely well in SDR too, so that's neat.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i already broke and ordered the AW3225QF. It would have been cool if i had broken earlier because now it says 'in production' and my ship date isn't for over a week :(

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

So, I've been putting the AW3225QF through its paces for the last few hours. First things first: If you were hoping for some big generational improvement over previous QD-OLED monitors in terms of brightness, you won't find that here. The ABL is almost entirely unchanged from the last gen. You get around 240 nits on a full white screen, with a mostly linear progression to 450 nits at 10% white, and a sharp increase for highlights ranging up to around 900 - 1000 nits at 3% or 2% white, which is just like how it was before. Having an ABL curve more like the WOLEDs would have been nice, alas.

This monitor also has some very strange quirks when it comes to its Dolby Vision support. When you're in HDR mode, it sees the Windows desktop and all other SDR content as Dolby Vision content. This is... very strange, and it can lead to some problems. First of all, it saw the calibration/measurement software HCFR as Dolby Vision content when it wasn't, which meant I wasn't able to get accurate measurements out of it in HDR mode. Second of all, the monitor flickers for a second when switching between HDR10 and Dolby Vision mode, which is something it does automatically based on the content it's seeing. This gets really obnoxious if you have some SDR overlays or something that pop up when playing an HDR10 game, as you'll get a lot of flickering whenever those popups appear (the monitor sees the popup as DV and switches modes to it before switching back once the popup is gone). The last issue I've noticed is that it defaults to the "Dolby Vision Bright" profile, which overbrightens the image, leading to some low gamma for SDR content. However, I measured SDR content accuracy while in HDR mode with the "Dolby Vision Dark" profile selected, and the results were shocking accurate:

(this is with no settings changed aside from DV being set to "dark")

People with mediocre HDR monitors always complain about how washed out or low-contrast-looking the image gets when you enter into HDR mode in Windows, but I can tell you that this is by far the best-looking monitor I've ever seen for windows content while in HDR mode. It's honestly more accurate than most monitors' "calibrated" sRGB modes, and the picture just looks great for either SDR or HDR content. I'm definitely just gonna leave it on HDR mode from now on. The picture quality in general is just amazing. Even just properly calibrated SDR content, something all LCDs could theoretically do, looks incredible on this monitor. And when you're viewing HDR10 content with no obstructions, the HDR quality is fantastic. In the Peak 1000 mode, the only one I've tested so far, the EOTF tracking is more accurate than any other HDR monitor I've used, as is the color accuracy. And the punchiness small highlights have on OLED monitors is something else.

I'm pretty happy with how the panel behaves in QD-OLED's other common problem areas. I'm seeing practically no visible color fringing around text, and text clarity overall is quite excellent. Raised blacks from ambient light hasn't been a big issue with my setup. I have thick curtains on my windows and a single overhead light in my computer room. With the light on, blacks are slightly raised, but it still looks very black to me. I'd say not much lighter than my mini-LED monitor with local dimming enabled. If I turn off the overhead light, it's pretty much just perfect for me, even during the day. But if you have bright lights that are more directly in front of the monitor, it could be a bigger problem. I also very briefly played some dark games at low-ish framerates with VRR active and didn't notice any VRR flickering, though more testing is needed to say definitively how much of a problem it is or isn't.

Overall, it's hard to disagree with change my name when he says this is the best monitor he's ever looked at. It really is stunning. It just looks good at whatever it's doing. And this isn't even mentioning how smooth the 240hz is. The VRR also subjectively felt smoother here than on my LCDs, which may be attributable to the faster response times. It's just a fantastic monitor, despite the DV quirks.

edit: Apparently the DV weirdness is due to an nvidia driver bug that was introduce a few major driver versions ago. Also, I forgot to mention the curve. Because I forgot it was curved. It's less curved than my previous monitor, so it really almost feels flat to me. Even when I look for it, I only barely notice the curve in long straight lines. Maybe Samsung broke my brain.

edit 2: it's happening on AMD drivers too, but nvidia owners can roll back the drivers to a version where it isn't bugged, so it does seem driver related somehow.

How are you finding the curve? IIRC you main one of the curved 32" VA displays, right?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The curve review is in the first edit. Assuming it’s similar to the ultra wide AWs it’s not super noticeable

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dogen posted:

The curve review is in the first edit. Assuming it’s similar to the ultra wide AWs it’s not super noticeable

It's nearly unnoticeable if you're looking at it dead-on, it's just that mild. Honestly, I think I like it more than if I had a flat panel of this size. It gently helps bring the edges of your screen closer to your center of vision in a very unobtrusive way.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That’s pretty much how I feel about the AW34 as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, the curve is just not an issue for me. I know some people here have definitely used curved monitors before and not liked them, but I wonder how many of the people who avoid them have actually tried one. I see a lot of weird ideas going around, like how curves are worse for smaller monitors than large monitors. The curve ratings you see on products (1000R, 1500R, etc) are based on the radius of a circle if that curve was completed. So a 1700R curve is going to look the same on a monitor of any size, and it doesn't feel any more or less weird to look at on a 16:9 monitor than it does on a 21:9 or 32:9 one. You can say that maybe curves are more necessary for wider monitors, but the way they look will be the same. There are also people worried about image distortion, but your brain is very good at correcting for that since it sees the monitor as a curved, three-dimensional object. One thing that's true is that curves make using a monitor in portrait mode less than ideal, but I doubt that's the plan for people buying an OLED gaming monitor.

If you just don't like curves, then fair enough. Most 16:9 QD-OLEDs are gonna be flat, so you'll have lots of options. But if you're neutral or unsure, then in my personal experience, the AW3225QF hasn't looked weird or off to me at all. If anything, I think I've come to prefer a slight curve.

edit: That said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O6jiPxhQJ8

800R sure is an extreme curve radius, huh. Even as a Samsung Odyssey enjoyer, that might be too much for me.

edit 2: Something else I'm appreciating with the AW3225QF is the semi-glossy finish. It's the same as the 34" panels, but it's my first time seeing it, and I have to say that it's winning me over to Team Glossy. It's just so clean and smooth looking. I think the Neo G7's coating was worse than most matte monitors, but it was quite grainy and dirty looking at times, particularly at lower brightness levels. This monitor's picture is super clear no matter what, though, and I want to say that lower brightness levels look brighter on it than they do on the Neo G7. I see now how 42" C2 owners were happy with the ~130 nits brightness.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 16, 2024

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Similarly, I've had several 32-34" ultrawides, and they've all been curved, and I've never felt that it was in any way a negative thing. While I can understand people not being too keen on silly stuff like a 1000R 24", most ultrawides worth buying are 1800R. Between the lower curve and the larger size, it makes it more of a subtle thing. (and while Dr. Video Games is correct that the curve itself is independent of monitor size, you can end up with it being more visually apparent depending on how close you sit to the thing--something I think a lot of people don't bother to account for)

I could see it as a "I'd prefer flat to curved" as a mild personal preference thing, but as a hard "I will never buy a curved ultrawide monitor" I simply can't understand that sort of self-defeating mentality given the way it all works out. 'course if you just prefer 16:9 over 21:9+, then fair enough.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Currently I have a ~24" 1080p 60Hz Asus monitor that I use with my desktop. I just started a new remote job today and I received a laptop with dock. I would like to pick up two new monitors to use with a KVM for both the laptop and my desktop. My budget is ~$250 per monitor, and I would like to get the biggest ones I can within budget. I don't play games very much on the desktop, so it is unlikely that I will upgrade it anytime soon. But in case I do, I think at least 1440p and >60Hz would be preferable for future-proofing when it comes to gaming. Dell monitors seem to be highly regarded in this thread, so I went to their website and found this:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-monitor-s2721ds/apd/210-axkp/monitors-monitor-accessories

Does that look decent? Keep in mind they will be mostly used for work, web browsing, and light gaming.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a dual monitor DisplayPort KVM with at least 2 USB ports?

Is there anything else I should consider when it comes to monitors and/or KVMs?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

owl_pellet posted:

Currently I have a ~24" 1080p 60Hz Asus monitor that I use with my desktop. I just started a new remote job today and I received a laptop with dock. I would like to pick up two new monitors to use with a KVM for both the laptop and my desktop. My budget is ~$250 per monitor, and I would like to get the biggest ones I can within budget. I don't play games very much on the desktop, so it is unlikely that I will upgrade it anytime soon. But in case I do, I think at least 1440p and >60Hz would be preferable for future-proofing when it comes to gaming. Dell monitors seem to be highly regarded in this thread, so I went to their website and found this:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-monitor-s2721ds/apd/210-axkp/monitors-monitor-accessories

Does that look decent? Keep in mind they will be mostly used for work, web browsing, and light gaming.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a dual monitor DisplayPort KVM with at least 2 USB ports?

Is there anything else I should consider when it comes to monitors and/or KVMs?

Multimonitor is an option a lot of people like but if you haven't already you might consider a single ultrawide. I also work remotely and do a lot of video calls. Dell sent me one of these for evaluation last month and it's been really nice not just for the size but it can handle 2 inputs with full kvm function. I know it's a bit more but if it replaces 2 other monitors and also a KVM it might make sense.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-34-curved-video-conferencing-monitor-p3424web/apd/210-bgmm/monitors-monitor-accessories

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

edit 2: Something else I'm appreciating with the AW3225QF is the semi-glossy finish. It's the same as the 34" panels, but it's my first time seeing it, and I have to say that it's winning me over to Team Glossy. It's just so clean and smooth looking. I think the Neo G7's coating was worse than most matte monitors, but it was quite grainy and dirty looking at times, particularly at lower brightness levels. This monitor's picture is super clear no matter what, though, and I want to say that lower brightness levels look brighter on it than they do on the Neo G7. I see now how 42" C2 owners were happy with the ~130 nits brightness.

So about the glossy. Are there any issues with reflection during dark scenes in games or whatnot? I mostly play at night after work, but on days off ill have a lot more light in the room. Nothing direct, just well lit. Thats the only reason im hesitant on any gloss.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think the curve actually helps combat reflections a bit since it narrows the angles light can be reflected from. Any reflected light source would have to be pretty much directly behind you, though self reflections might be noticeable if you're being directly blasted with bright lights or something. The bigger problem is that having lots of light in a room causes blacks to be raised. I've found it to not be a serious problem for a single medium-brightness ceiling light with my window curtains closed during the day. The black level is raised a bit in that condition, but the blacks are still deeper than VA panels by a good amount, with perfect uniformity and zero cloudiness or light bleed, which helps a lot. With my windows open as well, it's maybe closer to VA but still a far superior viewing experience in my opinion. You'd need to have a very brightly lit room for QD-OLED to look genuinely bad, I think.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 17, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I've been seeing reports on reddit of the AW3225QF suddenly dying on people after not that many hours of use; obviously these could be people on the unfortunate early side of the bathtub curve, but has anyone here seen more on it? Seemed like quite a few posting about it, all things considered.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Mine has been on for like 14 hours/day since I got it sat without major problems. I did initially use it with hdmi and there's something funky going on there with gsync, switched back to DP and its ok. There's stuff about dolby vision and hdr that I don't care about.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'm planning a notable PC upgrade that will let me upgrade to doing 1440 gaming. Some checks suggests that the Dell S3222DGM is a good choice for this. If I go for that am I going to end up regretting not paying the extra for something fancier, like OLED or ultra wide? I plan on running 2 screens anyway so ultra wide feels extravagant. Are there any extra options that I should be considering?

It will mostly be used for gaming at my desk, with some video watching.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Redundant posted:

I'm planning a notable PC upgrade that will let me upgrade to doing 1440 gaming. Some checks suggests that the Dell S3222DGM is a good choice for this. If I go for that am I going to end up regretting not paying the extra for something fancier, like OLED or ultra wide? I plan on running 2 screens anyway so ultra wide feels extravagant. Are there any extra options that I should be considering?

It will mostly be used for gaming at my desk, with some video watching.

Can't regret the absence of something you haven't experienced. OLED is far superior to everything else for gaming, IMO. Once you've gone for it, it will be hard to go back. Ultrawide is nice too, but two 16:9 monitors will give even more real estate. There's now some pretty good OLED ultrawides out there though, if you've got the money.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Can't regret the absence of something you haven't experienced. OLED is far superior to everything else for gaming, IMO. Once you've gone for it, it will be hard to go back. Ultrawide is nice too, but two 16:9 monitors will give even more real estate. There's now some pretty good OLED ultrawides out there though, if you've got the money.
It's a tricky choice. It seems like the AW3423DWF is the go to OLED ultrawide screen of choice. It's just over twice the price which leaves me with quite the dilemma, especially since double screening then would feel like massive overkill. It's a shame there are no 16:9 32 inch OLEDs.

I love, but also hate upgrading things! There are just so many variables. I'll have to take some measurements of my desk and think about what I really need from my screen and what my budget can stretch to. Thanks.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Redundant posted:

It's a shame there are no 16:9 32 inch OLEDs.

They’re just releasing now — ~10 announced at CES.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think he wants 1440p though, and the 32" OLEDs are 4K.

In any case, the S3222DGM is not a good monitor and I'd recommend you avoid it. It uses a mediocre VA panel with lots of smearing and lovely viewing angles. I'd normally recommend the Gigabyte M32Q instead, but it appears to be out of production and sold out everywhere. Still, there are bound to be IPS panels that are better. I'd much rather roll the dice on something like this which is not only a lot cheaper but almost certainly a better monitor in most ways than that Dell one.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Redundant posted:

It's a shame there are no 16:9 32 inch OLEDs.

If you're in Windows, you can just run one of the new 4K OLEDs at 150% scaling to get 1440p? Unless I'm missing something.

You can do so in macOS also and it looks fine*

* I've never noticed any issues with non-Retina scaling on 4K screens in macOS, but some claim to so it could be something to consider.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I think he wants 1440p though, and the 32" OLEDs are 4K.

In any case, the S3222DGM is not a good monitor and I'd recommend you avoid it. It uses a mediocre VA panel with lots of smearing and lovely viewing angles. I'd normally recommend the Gigabyte M32Q instead, but it appears to be out of production and sold out everywhere. Still, there are bound to be IPS panels that are better. I'd much rather roll the dice on something like this which is not only a lot cheaper but almost certainly a better monitor in most ways than that Dell one.
Yeah, I'm in the process of buying a house so my budget is somewhat restrictive. I'd love to splurge on a 4k screen but, given that my PC wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, I don't want to pay the premium for something I won't benefit from.

That being said, the ultra wide Alienware OLED at £750ish is tempting enough that I might stall buying the screen until I can pick something like that up. We will see how smoothly the move goes and whether there's enough left to push the boat out or whether I should take the cheaper option suggested. I appreciate the rec and the steer away from the bad Dell screen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pricing and specific model availability may be different for the UK, so my recommendation may not be directly applicable to you. I'd just try looking for a good IPS display before buying a VA panel like the S3222DGM.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
Do I need anything special for a vertical oriented 'reading forums' monitor?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Keeper Garrett posted:

Aside from either making sure it has a good stand that will do portrait orientation or putting it on a monitor arm/stand? Making sure it has VESA mounts for the latter, I guess.

Edit: I guess be aware if the system decides THAT'S the monitor it wants to display the BIOS screens on it can be awkward to have to tilt your head to read it because it will display horizontally. And Windows 10 can get dumb about window positioning and such when it goes to sleep and one monitor is in portrait (or different resolution) - I had to use the proprietary Dell screen manager software on my work Optiplex to make it remember my window positions. Otherwise every time I locked my computer when I came back the open windows would be sized for 1920x1080 for some goddamn reason and I'd have to manually resize them what felt like 100s of times a day.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 19, 2024

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Keeper Garrett posted:

Aside from mounting/stand constraints above, the only other issue you might run into is cables not being long to run from your computer to wherever it's situated. Windows/MacOS handle portrait mode pretty well, or at least I've never heard of someone having an issue with it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd say to make sure you get an IPS display. Viewing angles are more finnicky when using a monitor in portrait mode, so having an IPS with at least decent viewing angles is a must.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
Just got my AW2725DF in. (360hz 1440p QD OLED) Some quick points.

- Motion clarity is insane. I literally can't see any blur at all in UFOtest, and actual games feel fantastic.
- I can definitely see raised black levels. The ceiling light I have shines directly on the panel, and you can tell it's not quite black. It's nothing compared to IPS glow, and the lack of that is very much appreciated when you crank up the brightness.
- SDR brightness is more than enough. I'm using at at 20%. HDR brightness also great.
- Text clarity is no problem at all. You can't see it unless you put your face up to the screen. Even then it's minor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Was playing the new prince of persia game today at 240 fps on my aw3225qf, and it just looks so smooth and crisp. I wish that game had HDR support too, but it seems like it's based on a decade-old DX11 renderer—it doesn't even have TAA support.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I haven't been following the monitor subreddits too closely to know how widespread of an issue this is, but I've seen a few people mention receiving thermal warnings on their AW3225QF, and I've now had it happen twice to me as well. In both of my cases, it happened immediately after the monitor attempted to go into standby and I moved my mouse before it could (while it was still searching for a signal). As in, the warning message was already on the screen as it was getting a picture again. And in both cases, the message went away after a few seconds and then came back 10 or so minutes later. Also in both cases, a power cycle seemingly resolved the issue, with no other warnings popping up. So I can only conclude that something about canceling standby while it's still in the process of entering it causes the thermal management to malfunction, and turning the monitor off and back on again fixes it whenever it happens. So if any of the others who bought one of these alienwares is seeing the same thing, try doing a power cycle to see if that fixes it.

Between this and the Dolby Vision issue I mentioned earlier, there's a little bit of early adopter pain involved with these monitors. But neither issue has been a dealbreaker for me since there are workarounds, and thankfully the monitor has been pretty fantastic outside of these cases. Honestly I had more headaches with the Neo G7 and Acer XB273U GX.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Would you say its well worth the $1200? Ive been debating between this or stickin with 1440 and goin with the aw2734dwf.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think there are any options for $1000+ that are better. It and its 1440p siblings are in a league of their own, in terms of picture quality, at least. There is still room for improvement, but that gets into really nerdy HDR stuff (there are some pretty specific scenarios where the WOLED monitors may be brighter). But if you are unconcerned with burn-in and want a high-end monitor, then these QD-OLEDs are it, in my opinion. I don't regret my purchase after a week, at least. If you're deciding between the different QD-OLEDs though, it really just comes down to which size/resolution you want. Aside from the new models having better text clarity and slightly better ambient light handling, they all perform very similarly to each other, even the two-year-old ultrawides.

Just be aware that we'll probably see a fairly continual specs creep and dropping of prices over the next several years. Don't be alarmed if your $1200 monitor is cleared out for half that a couple years from now, or if new models appear in a year or two that handily outperform these ones. And I think the 1440p 240hz OLEDs in particular might end up surprisingly affordable later this year as 360hz and 480hz+ models become available (the Acer model was already available for $600 for a week—that's less than I paid for my 270hz 1440p LCD two years ago). So whether $1200 is worth it depends on how much you're okay with a good chunk of that being early adopter tax.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 21, 2024

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I just got a 4K monitor (Gigabyte M27U) , so I'm half considering a 4070 Super or 4070 TI Super. The most demanding games I'd consider it for are BG3, SF6, FF14. It would be cool if it could handle Like a Dragon 2 and GBF: Relink, but that's obviously unknowable until they're out. The reason I'm asking anyways is budgetary - I wonder if even if I did pick up a 4000 series card and a new PSU, how much my CPU/RAM would still be holding me back, and if it would warrant spending to also replace the CPU/Motherboard/RAM.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($107.30 @ MemoryC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.89 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Total: $187.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-21 03:31 EST-0500

Not in a rush, just trying to get a sense of how much I'd need/want to spend if I did want to in the near future.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This question may be better suited for the PC building thread. In any case, CPU requirements mostly depend on your target frame rate, independent of your GPU or target resolution. Upgrading to 4K is going to deal a hefty blow to your frame rates, and a new GPU is what's needed to compensate for that. The 3600 may still bottleneck a 4070 Super in some games at 4K, (particularly FF14), but I bet most will be GPU bottlenecked. If you do want to upgrade the CPU as well, you can grab a 5800X3D and simply swap your 3600 for it and let that be that (your motherboard is compatible with that CPU after a bios update). Also, I believe a 4070 Super should be capable of handling those games just fine at 4K. Especially with upscaling.

Just be careful with GPU length if you're using a Meshify C. You can't fit a card longer than 315mm in there if you also want to keep all of your front fans (and you very much do want to keep them)

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

This question may be better suited for the PC building thread.

I... thought I was :smith:

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I've never owned a monitor that cost more than $500 and just pulled the trigger on the AW3225QF. My wife and I both have Amex cards and both cards had a "spend $599 with Dell, get $120 back" offer and I was able to use two methods of payment with Dell, so hopefully I'm looking at $240 back. Hope someone else finds that useful.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I finally sent back my AW3225QF (review unit and all) and my normal 27" monitor looks so sad and bulged in the center now

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

change my name posted:

I finally sent back my AW3225QF (review unit and all) and my normal 27" monitor looks so sad and bulged in the center now

Buying your review copy wasn't an option?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Anti-Hero posted:

Buying your review copy wasn't an option?

No, it was sent over by Alienware as a loaner and I don't have $1,200 to drop on a monitor sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

change my name posted:

No, it was sent over by Alienware as a loaner and I don't have $1,200 to drop on a monitor sadly

Ah bummer.

I'm sorely tempted to get it even though I have a 42 C2. The latter is just too drat big to comfortably game at my desk with a KBM for shooter games. I'm *trying* to hold off until the 32 WOLEDs come out in Q3...