Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

agony matrix is bad but I think that alien dream plant thing from Superman's birthday episode was pretty effed up.

That’s an adaptation of a classic Superman story by Alan Moore: “For the Man Who Has Everything”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Minor nitpicky correction, Mordred already had immortality, he got tricked into turning himself into an adult which broke the eternal youth aspect of his immortality

ah right, i figured i may have gotten some detail wrong. thanks

quote:

Also I think the Agony Matrix technically came from the comics, personally though I will always be annoyed that they had to do that almost immediately after the World of Cardboard speech but then I still think they should have just let Superman win through conventional fisticuffs with Darkseid instead of having to do the whole bit with Luthor and the Anti-Life Equation to save the day which both then and now felt like an incredibly underwhelming way to resolve the whole situation(especially when compared to say Flash vs Luthoriac the previous season)

oh absolutely. having darkseid win at the last minute completely deflated the world of cardboard moment. we barely get to revel in superman's ultimate moment of badassery, and...oh it's already gone. also, as far as luthor and the anti-life equation, the show never made clear what exactly happened to them, though according to the JLU wiki, it seems luthor and darkseid were absorbed into the source wall.

BioEnchanted posted:

Speaking of children's shows going hard, I always loved Abracadaver in Powerpuff Girls - a Magician who did quite well for himself in the 1920s, only for a little girl who's a bit too curious for her own good to walk on stage and ruin his act, leading to him falling to his death in an Iron Maiden that was intended for one of his illusions. 80 years later, he comes back to life as a zombie with a single goal - kill that girl that destroyed him. The problem is, she's likely already dead from old age. But there is one little girl who happens to resemble her - Blossom. Unlike the other villains who often want something simple like money or power, Abracadaver has a very specific and far grimmer goal in mind - to kill that one person.

Even Him was mostly being playful, more enjoying the game than actually wanting to win for good, the one exception being the bad future when the PPG went missing in time and Him trashed the entire place for a laugh, resulting in the mayor's death.

i vaguely remember the episode you're referring to. PPG definitely had some pretty heavy moments. its cutesy art style probably led the creators to get away with a lot more stuff than they normally would have

TwoPair posted:

Yeah it definitely didn't. I'm pretty sure the producers have said in some interview or another that budget is what forced them to make Green Lantern, the guy who can generate anything with his ring, restricted to mostly using bubbles and plain ol' lasers most of the show, to the point where (in a very meta moment) he gets chastised for it in an episode with another GL, and really only ever goes crazy with it in the episode where he's a kid again.

i noticed this too with a lot of GL's fights, so yeah, i can totally believe it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

That’s an adaptation of a classic Superman story by Alan Moore: “For the Man Who Has Everything”

Also apparently the only adaptation of Alan Moore's work that he approves of.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also apparently the only adaptation of Alan Moore's work that he approves of.

That story floats around a lot but it's funny because I cannot find where it started. Not that it's even wrong, it could be from an interview on a site that's long dead, but it's funny it's basically a rumor nowadays.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And Bill Motz has more or less confirmed it, The Ghost & Molly McGee has sadly come to an end after just two seasons:

https://twitter.com/InevitablyBill/status/1746347968016548310

https://twitter.com/InevitablyBill/status/1746348143250432256

https://twitter.com/InevitablyBill/status/1746348737776198062

Pretty good finale too that wraps up a lot of stuff fairly neatly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Between shows that get cut short and shows that go on forever there's definitely no shame in wrapping something up definitively. Not something we get very often.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the aforementioned finale is currently available for free on the Disney Channel YouTube page and I strongly recommend checking it out (Ashly Burch and Dana Snyder in particular turn in some phenomenal performances)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 14, 2024

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Also the aforementioned finale is currently available for free on the Disney Channel YouTube page and I strongly reccomend checking it out (Ashly Burch and Dana Snyder in particular turn in some phenomenal performances)

I can definitely recommend it. And the show as a whole, actually. It's probably not at the pinnacle of Amphibia/Gravity Falls/The Owl House but it's certainly up there.

Here, have the first episode for a taster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YonXyVJtkU&t=716s

I don't want to link the finale just in case the thumbnail's a spoiler.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

That story floats around a lot but it's funny because I cannot find where it started. Not that it's even wrong, it could be from an interview on a site that's long dead, but it's funny it's basically a rumor nowadays.

I think people say that because he actually let them use his name in the credits.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TwoPair posted:

Yeah it definitely didn't. I'm pretty sure the producers have said in some interview or another that budget is what forced them to make Green Lantern, the guy who can generate anything with his ring, restricted to mostly using bubbles and plain ol' lasers most of the show, to the point where (in a very meta moment) he gets chastised for it in an episode with another GL, and really only ever goes crazy with it in the episode where he's a kid again.

It was also a minor characterization moment in the writers room, IIRC, that the reason most of his constructs were so simple was because he was a Marine instead of being an architect like he was in the comics. (I'm pretty sure the comics retconned him to be both since then.)

Mr Interweb posted:

So it took me almost 2 years of lazy, casual viewing but I finally finished my rewatch of Justice League / Justice League Unlimited. Unsurprisingly very much enjoyed it. I still maintain that it has the best characterization of DC superheroes then pretty much all other DC variations.

I’d also really like to find out what the behind the scenes financial situation was, because pretty much every episode was animated exceptionally well, and seemingly only getting better and more dynamic as the series progressed. I'm sure stuff like that couldn't have come cheap. And JL/JLU didn't do what a lot of action oriented shows, particularly anime, where they dedicate the effort on both of the budget to a small handful of action heavy scenes per episode, and use cheaper animation tricks for the rest. That might be the one thing that surprised me the most on my rewatch. Because there's a LOT of scenes within pretty much every episode where there's a lot going on, fighting choreography, building destructions, explosions, you name it. It was genuinely impressive. and the art style and color schemes they used are just beautiful too. it's legit one of the best animated shows ever imo.

One thing that I always appreciated about the series was how it wasn't afraid to push the envelope and a lot of areas. it was nice to see a kids cartoon not be afraid to be more mature than most of the competition. that being said, I forgot how the shows really took advantage of CN's looser restrictions. I mean there are tons of moments throughout where the writers go really hard.

JLU/the DCAU in general did the same thing all good cartoons did wherein they bumped up against the censorship limits as much as possible and when they couldn't do what they wanted, they invariably come up with a (n in retrospect) more hosed up way to convey what they want to convey. i.e., Joker's laughing gas. And the entirety of Joker/Harley's relationship in BTAS.

There are more than a couple nods to John and Shayera loving (both themselves and others) in JL/JLU.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Reminds me of how the "censored" version of Return of The Joker arguably had more brutal deaths than the uncensored version

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me of how the "censored" version of Return of The Joker arguably had more brutal deaths than the uncensored version

IIRC, the censored version of Joker's death was him getting knocked into an electrified puddle. The non-censored version is him getting shot by psycho Tim with his own flag spear pistol thing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AlternateNu posted:

IIRC, the censored version of Joker's death was him getting knocked into an electrified puddle. The non-censored version is him getting shot by psycho Tim with his own flag spear pistol thing.

Yeah and I'd argue the electrocution is the more agonizing and drawn out demise

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also, Bonk just takes a harpoon to the heart and instantly dies in the uncensored version, while the censored version had him get a blast of Joker Gas that presumably took a bit longer to kill him.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Regalingualius posted:

Also, Bonk just takes a harpoon to the heart and instantly dies in the uncensored version, while the censored version had him get a blast of Joker Gas that presumably took a bit longer to kill him.

The commentary for that scene was funny. They originally wanted to have him twitching through the scene as he was lying there.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A thread with some behind-the-scenes business stuff on TGAMM

https://twitter.com/InevitablyBill/status/1746580258281967750

lol that it was apparently growing in viewership in S2, but not growing fast enough, and that was the final nail in its coffin

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pakled posted:

A thread with some behind-the-scenes business stuff on TGAMM

https://twitter.com/InevitablyBill/status/1746580258281967750

lol that it was apparently growing in viewership in S2, but not growing fast enough, and that was the final nail in its coffin
I think there was another post where he notes that the original exec who greenlit the show retired so that probably didn’t help their chances.

He also did a thread about the ending:
https://twitter.com/InevitablyBill/status/1746595847377453226

That ending is really going to stay with me for a while.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently they submitted scripts for Season 3 back in May but were turned down and a little before S2 aired the complete episode list leaked onto IMDB (however said list ended at Jinx Vs The Human World so it appears ending the series here was kind of a late decision)

All the same though they still pulled off one hell of a finale regardless (that goodbye scene between Molly and Scratch was Oscar worthy in my opinion).

My one complaint about the season is that despite joining Molly’s friend group Andrea barely ended up mattering in the long run (she didn’t even get to meet Scratch). Though we did get a lot of good Libby content at least and Ollie and June were ok additions to the cast

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 15, 2024

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Also apparently they submitted scripts for Season 3 back in May but were turned down and a little before S2 aired the complete episode list leaked onto IMDB (however said list ended at Jinx Vs The Human World so it appears ending the series here was kind of a late decision)

All the same though they still pulled off one hell of a finale regardless (that goodbye scene between Molly and Scratch was Oscar worthy in my opinion).

My one complaint about the season is that despite joining Molly’s friend group Andrea barely ended up mattering in the long run (she didn’t even get to meet Scratch). Though we did get a lot of good Libby content at least and Ollie and June were ok additions to the cast

i feel like Andrea would have had more of a role to play in a hypothetical series 3 (at least one episode has been confirmed would have been Andrea-focused and the whole superstore plotline was clearly going to be a long-running thing).

They specifically had to lobby to get The End made, apparently. It was always the planned ending, but obviously with the cancellation they had to plead to get it made. And then when the title leaked they weren't sure if they were going to get a stay of execution hence some mixed messages on twitter at the time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol the creator of the ghost show is ranting on twitter about how the Dark Web and piracy got his show cancelled because too many people downloaded it. it sucks that your show got cancelled but cmon.

https://twitter.com/InevitablyBill/status/1746985768923672776

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah you know kids and their torrents

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Using the dark web to download all my favorite kid shows.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i, too, will blame the people who wanted to watch my show, and not the megalomaniac corporation that cancelled it

the better take from amphibia's matt braly:

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1746706435080323397

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah I feel like Disney's TV division isn't very good at monetizing the shows they make. Or even not that interested, since making merch or advertising their TV-level productions theoretically could take eyeballs and funding away from their bigger properties. I feel like they could maybe even get some decent money on itunes from the songs? They're all pretty great bops.

I would be very surprised if Disney's internal metrics on the show were bad relative to their other content, but maybe streaming metrics are weird in general.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I'm honestly a little relieved that Molly McGee ended. I like Ashly Burch and Dana Snyder but the show never substantially evolved from the pilot. There's some great episodes but also a lot of Molly's loud shrieking interspersed with schmaltz.

All the songs were good, but they're usually like 20 seconds long.

I had to really push my 6yo to watch it. She claims the ghosts are too scary? Whereas we've had no problem chugging through serialized shows like Gravity Falls and Carmen Sandiego.

Now that there's a finite amount left we can definitely finish it out.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Piracy is probably a real problem but that piracy is the result of media companies sucking at making their shows easy to find and access affordably. Remember when there was only Netflix and Hulu and they were reasonably priced? Nobody pirated anything at the time because there was no point.

Also, piracy is probably the only reason that show will continue to exist after it gets pulled from the streaming services since I don't think it has a Blu Ray. If companies don't want people pirating stuff then maybe don't make piracy the only way to ensure that a show won't get buried for tax purposes and disappear forever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, piracy is literally the only way to watch certain shows these days (Infinity Train for example, even the the show’s creator basically admitted that)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Can vouch that the teams who make the shows want you to pirate it if that's all you got. They just want you to see and enjoy what they spent literally thousands of hours working on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Can vouch that the teams who make the shows want you to pirate it if that's all you got. They just want you to see and enjoy what they spent literally thousands of hours working on.

Oh I’m not condoning it by any stretch, just saying that thanks to executive meddling some shows are unfortunately now impossible or at least very hard to get legally anymore. It sucks

It’s kind of the same with eastern animation, some shows were never brought over to the west so fansubbed versions are literally all we have.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 16, 2024

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Countblanc posted:

lol the creator of the ghost show is ranting on twitter about how the Dark Web and piracy got his show cancelled because too many people downloaded it. it sucks that your show got cancelled but cmon.

https://twitter.com/InevitablyBill/status/1746985768923672776

All I heard was The Ghost Show and wondered what a racist fake capitalist had to do with a bunch of kids shows.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shows also continue to take months to be available on legal channels outside the US, if they ever are. For literal billions of people piracy is literally the only way they'll get to watch them while they're still being made.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, the brilliant Scavengers Reign is only on HBO Max, which is a US only (maybe Canada idk?) service, and available virtually nowhere else. Outside the US? gently caress you, VPN in or pirate it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, the brilliant Scavengers Reign is only on HBO Max, which is a US only (maybe Canada idk?) service, and available virtually nowhere else. Outside the US? gently caress you, VPN in or pirate it.

Scavengers Reign is only available in Canada on the GlobalTV app, which you already need a TV subscription to watch and can only view it in barely 720p. What's more, I don't think it even AIRED on TV anywhere here in Canada, Global just has it for... reasons. Either way, it's in the most obscure, obtuse, unwatchable place that piracy almost is the better option for watching it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New ATLA live action trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAn8DF8Ykk

I was impressed by the Netflix One Piece series so hopefully the people behind this can pull off some similar magic

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 23, 2024

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I am imploring the people of Earth to watch Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

https://twitter.com/steveloter/status/1750005375498379658
https://twitter.com/steveloter/status/1750006691587141671
https://twitter.com/steveloter/status/1750009074060816659

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, have a trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rdsEpRzc4zE

I enjoyed the show a fair bit and look forward to its return next month. Speaking of, are the original comics this is based on any good?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think in her first appearance Moongirl was a lot more gobliny? At the time, Marvel had been obsessing over their ranked list of the smartest people in the Marvel universe, and her main gimmick was that she was smarter than any of them, which mainly she asserted by being an rear end in a top hat. I dunno what her comics are like now.

If you go back further past her, Moonboy was some kind of monkey.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

I enjoyed the show a fair bit and look forward to its return next month. Speaking of, are the original comics this is based on any good?
about the same as the last time you asked, I reckon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You have a better memory than I do then.

Seems like a similar case to Big Hero 6 then where the movie/show was way better than the original source material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

Seems like a similar case to Big Hero 6 then where the movie/show was way better than the original source material
I think so! Having read the comics first I was really pleased with all the changes.

I thought S1 was stylistically amazing and fun, curious to see what a "more serialized" S2 could possibly look like.