Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

GreenNight posted:

Speaking of which how was the new 5 episode season of American Horror Story?

dreadful, even worse than the usual crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

011324_3
Jan 14, 2024
now there is no crap! back to SomethingAwful!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Ted is shockingly good

Honestly, I agree. This show is surprisingly fun. The first episode was weak, but from there on it becomes such a surreal world, it's genuinely funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw an excerpt from an interview with Matt Fraction about Monarch and he says he is constantly pushing for the Monsterverse to add Jet Jaguar.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Saw an excerpt from an interview with Matt Fraction about Monarch and he says he is constantly pushing for the Monsterverse to add Jet Jaguar.

I see why they’re hesitant—Jack Nicholson is way too old at this point.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Ted is shockingly good

Yeah.

"I jacked off a dog!!"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have watched three episodes of Ted so far. Didn’t think much of the first or third, but the second was a lot of fun, and honestly even the bad ones have some good jokes. I really didn’t expect to like this at all, but y’know, it’s pretty okay!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Don't forget, True Detective: Night Country starts tonight!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Most recent Reacher I think definitely crosses a line when he kills the guy in the hospital. Yeah he was a bad guy but he was also completely helpless. Like they could have just left him and he still would have been killed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

isaboo posted:

Don't forget, True Detective: Night Country starts tonight!

Is it worth a thread, or is there another place people are talking about it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just make one. I skipped seasons 2 and 3 but I'm definitely tuning in for this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah someone please make a thread so I don’t have to

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just started episode 1 of True Detective S4 and the ad before it showing new Max shows included The Jinx Part 2?! I didn't know that was going to be a thing. The Jinx ended perfectly. How can they possibly top that ending?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The hard cuts in Echo are weird.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is it worth a thread, or is there another place people are talking about it?

Mu Zeta posted:

Just make one. I skipped seasons 2 and 3 but I'm definitely tuning in for this.

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah someone please make a thread so I don’t have to

It's done:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051827

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I still think Jet Jaguar in Megalon is one of the worst things ever, but I loved Jet Jaguar in Singular Point. I feel like a Monsterverse Jet Jaguar would be in the middle. Not bad, not great. So we'd have a full spectrum of Jet Jaguar quality.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Most recent Reacher I think definitely crosses a line when he kills the guy in the hospital. Yeah he was a bad guy but he was also completely helpless. Like they could have just left him and he still would have been killed.

The guy was literally seconds away from executing a child in cold blood in the previous episode so he gets no sympathy from me.

Also The Brothers Sun on Netflix is really great, so much fun and the fight scenes are awesome!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was reminded of this by the new season of True Detective, but if anyone's looking for a really cool chilly show featuring horror elements and mysterious murder then you've got to check out Fortitude. A wild show made by Sky, featuring Stanley Tucci, Michael Gambon (RIP), Christopher Eccleston, Dennis Quaid, Sophie Grabol (The Killing) and a lot of gorgeous winter photography.

Three seasons, and the second/third seasons take some cool shifts in genre as the town slowly slips into mass psychosis and eventually irreparably collapses. Really great thriller stuff, often very funny, quite gory, really great fight choreography... it's just a perfect weirdo show that shifts genre in really cool ways. The bit in the second season where the Mayor travels to the Russian mining villiage is just a perfect bit of paranoid horror, it's really stuck with me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Season 1 came out, what, 9 years ago?

I'll check it out, sounds right up my alley.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I thought Fortitude wasn't well received around here because it jumped the shark at some point. I don't think I ever finished S1.

For a coulda-been-great film set in a very cold place, check out Smilla's Sense Of Snow. The first part is very good but the second half feels like a completely different movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1746925919757861113
For some reason they made a TV show spin off of that Guy Ritchie weed movie from a couple years ago.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That is not a good trailer at all. Best guess is he is doing a dorky-guyritchie style Kingsman that can have its poster on college dorm walls next to Snatch and Boondocks Saints.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's also a reboot since it's the same story but with new actors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It doesn't look like it has any of the movie characters in it so even if you were somehow a fan of the original there isn't anything to bring you back. The best part of the movie was the teen gang which this doesn't look like it is touching on at all.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's also a reboot since it's the same story but with new actors.

The logline for the show makes it seem like a spin off since it says the plot is Theo James' character inheriting an estate that is involved with the drug empire from McConaughey's movie character.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 15, 2024

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Happy Emmys Day! It's televisions biggest night!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If I like True Detective, will I like Mare of Easttown? Very impressed with the proper Philly accents and the script/direction where multiple characters go out of their way to say “wah-dur” and show it off.

Kind of ambivalent over whether I should watch more after seeing the pilot. Is it an investigation-centric drama with some character comedy or a comedy drama that happens to have a murder in it? Got a genuine laugh out of me with multiple people mentioning the article about Mare in the local paper and the later reveal that it’s about her winning a basketball game in high school, plus a second when she thinks Guy Pierce is asking permission to call her Ladyhawk—just great shorthand for what kind of a place that town is and why she would hate it.

Got whiplash from the gravity of every scene with the murdered woman compared to the quirky small-town police stuff. That baby is hosed unless the friend and her mom adopt him.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Literally never thought of it as a comedy. It’s a good crime drama thing but not as creepy/supernatural as True Detective. The character work is better than the investigation side imo

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wanna watch the last 2 seasons of x files but I’ve never watched x files before. Can someone recommend a good “what you need to know” video for people who don’t wanna watch 200 episodes to catch up?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wanna watch the last 2 seasons of x files but I’ve never watched x files before. Can someone recommend a good “what you need to know” video for people who don’t wanna watch 200 episodes to catch up?

I would really argue against this not only because you would miss a lot, but the quality is very low in general. You're going to get maybe three top-tier episodes, a handful of so-so, and a lot of bad ones. Much better to just ask for 20 of the best episodes of the show and watch those (especially as most of the best ones are standalones) rather than watch the 20 revival episodes.

That being said, if you really want to watch only the revivals, the first episode starts with Mulder doing a general overview of the show for new viewers that is probably as effective at getting the gist of the show out as any YouTube video you'll find.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, if you're at all aware of the X-Files you can probably just watch them. Some of the references won't hit as hard, but you'll probably be fine. I never watched the originals (still haven't found the time) but watched the revival and didn't really miss anything except stuff like "Oh, those 2 people huffing paint in the field were a funny reference because those same actors were getting high in a field decades ago in an original episode." If you have a vague notion of who The Lone Gunmen were and listen to the plot recap at the start, then you're set.

But, yeah, I would more advise against it because the revival was rough overall. There's some good episodes and probably 2 or 3 great ones (including one that's essentially about how dumb it was to greenlight a revival) but the main plot arc is outright bad and it ends bad. Bad enough that Gillian Anderson felt fine joking about the finale being bad on her Twitter. There's no pressing need to watch the whole revival so it probably makes more sense to just start with the old ones if you can. Even if you do just get a top 20 list or something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They're really bad seasons not really worth watching if youve seen the original run X Files. I don't know your reasons for wanting to watch those ones specifically but I think your best chance is to watch them without knowing the past or having a frame of reference. Then if you're not completely out of by the whole thing from those seasons you have something neat to go back to.

If you wanted to do a full rewatch I'd advise skipping the mythology episodes and just enjoy the standalone episodes. The myth episodes sometimes have character development stuff worth knowing but the plot events itself never go anywhere and don't have interesting payoffs, the show itself seemed to get bored and tired of it at several points.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The mythology episodes have good character moments up until production leaves Vancouver. Then they’re just what you remember them being. There are even some attempts to keep a consistent plot going through the end of season three, including characters mentioning things that come up in later episodes. That ends pretty quickly though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Gotta pile on here. Unless you have a very specific reason for watching just the last two X-Files seasons, don't. Not unless you love the rest of it already, because you'll be seeing by far the worst of the series. Still fun, but inarguably lesser. Seasons 1 and 2 are the best of the "plot" seasons where there's an overarching conspiracy, and seasons 3-6 are the best fun episodic monsters and mysteries seasons.

It all really, really holds up, though. I'd even argue that the earlier seasons feel less dated than the later ones. There's no reason to not just watch from the beginning unless you're being forced to write an essay on the final two seasons or something.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

aww, they didn't get May Martin back for Taskmaster Champion of Champions 3

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lol how did we end up with two Night Country threads

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

make them fight

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Lol how did we end up with two Night Country threads

that's how we find out which is the true True Detective thread

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

aww, they didn't get May Martin back for Taskmaster Champion of Champions 3

Dang, that's a bummer. I assume they are on some other project right now? Who is taking their place, I think everyone from that series was pretty fun.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I am now extremely invested in which will evolve to be the most powerful Night County thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Khanstant posted:

Dang, that's a bummer. I assume they are on some other project right now? Who is taking their place, I think everyone from that series was pretty fun.

Kiell Smith-Bynoe