Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Lottie vs. a Goon: flawless victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Plugger category: poor

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Hey, what's the market like for new comic strip collections/treasuries?

afaik its just Garfield and Fantagraphics/D+Q coming out, even Zits hasn't had one in 4 years or so.

I ask because. I dearly want a Dan Schkade Flash Gordon treasury. lol.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I think Wallace and Phoebe are still getting collections

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs(July 18, 1910)

Baron Bean(January 17, 1916)Spoilered for housekeeper

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(December 16, 1912)

Dorcas

Gasoline Alley(September 5, 1919)

Us Boys(October 10, 1911)

The Gumps(February 12, 1917)

Krazy Kat(November 10, 1913)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

I've lost track of Phantom timelines. Is this... do we need to get the torches? Did he just "dream" the whole Mozz thing?

"Get dressed, honey. Mozz told me he wanted to see you about some chronicle he wrote."

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

riderchop posted:

Hey, what's the market like for new comic strip collections/treasuries?

afaik its just Garfield and Fantagraphics/D+Q coming out, even Zits hasn't had one in 4 years or so.

I ask because. I dearly want a Dan Schkade Flash Gordon treasury. lol.

LvK posted:

Checking thought my library's hoopla subscription, in addition to Wallce and Phoebe; Crabgrass, Breaking Cat News, and Big Nate are being published by Andrews McMeel (among several other older newspaper comics and webcomics). They also did release a recent collection of Zits, Midnight Snack.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
^ wow hell yeah, little surprising not to see nancy though!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have the Wallace collections. Honestly, I really wish there was a Wallace Patreon or something I could subscribe to since I don't have a newspaper.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

fffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hey now, this could be a whole new story based on a prophetic dream.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/2/52, as the tale of Handle and Gristle starts running all over the book.

Archie 4/11-13/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 11/22-23/76

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I love how these three are just comfortable with each other. There's no shock or worry about telling each other what they're thinking. Flash is ready to take action without a long view, Zarkov is a pragmatist about the current state of things, and Dale is a sentimental realist. Gorgeous colors and lines.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

riderchop posted:

^ wow hell yeah, little surprising not to see nancy though!

I forgot Nancy, McMeel's has a book of the Oliva James comics:

I'm getting the feeling that Dale doesn't want to go back to Earth.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 02, 1961)

Knew I saw that pose in panel 6 before!

https://imgur.com/t/beyonces_publicist/g1kKdcf

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Lottie vs. a Goon: flawless victory.

Lottie is just amazing

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The_Other posted:

I'm getting the feeling that Dale doesn't want to go back to Earth.

A panel from Dale's Sunday strip a few months ago:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

LvK posted:

Per dana simpson she's the top selling comic author in america. goes to show how powerful those scholastic book fairs are

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Selachian posted:

Archie 4/11-13/49

So the 'S' is for scarecrow?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nah it stands for poo poo

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

"Give us Barrabas, crucify Jughead"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Technowolf posted:

So the 'S' is for scarecrow?
The "S" is for sucks.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Family medical issues are going to be keeping me away from here about half of the time for the immediate future, so here's the half you get today.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 1, 1936)

Peanuts (January 17, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (August 26-28, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 19, 1940)

Out Our Way (October 25-27, 1943)

And, because it's already there, here's more Mousetrapped.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 9-11, 2005)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 6/10/52

Imagine walking into a hospital like "could you xray this package for me?" :allears:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

She's a good mom.

Big Nate

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUe5f531jkk

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CW: Holbrook

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

You loving bootlicker, you don't get to complain about burnout when you spend all your time excusing, denying, enabling, and enforcing your boss's outright abuse.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Oh poo poo

Home Free

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Why are they even answering the phone if they hate him so much? What did they think he wanted to talk about?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

Why are they even answering the phone if they hate him so much? What did they think he wanted to talk about?
Because it's just tired gags from an era before answering machines, let alone cell phones and texting.

1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp

Oh poo poo

I think this is Coach Kaz, who was Gil’s assistant coach but left to work at the juvenile detention center? Or a different school system?

I’m unsure whether these are disgruntled students or coaching staff, but I wasn’t expecting this sort of thing from Gil Thorp, so I guess I’m interested.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Hey I know that show! It used to come on from time to time while I was in the car on the way to school.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Hayden has discovered the actual etymology of the word nostalgia "return pain"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Indian and Nepalese restaurants have become extremely popular in Finland in recent decades, and I am extremely glad.

Finnish foods featured here:

Liver casserole. Sometimes known as "Nordic haggis". It's rice, bits of liver and raisins in a casserole. Somehow it is considered a beloved staple, despite being hated by drat near everyone.

Rye bread, literally "hole bread" or "rye hole bread". Now this HAS been a beloved staple since the 1500s, and has a hole in it because traditionally after baking bread would be slipped on a pole that was suspended near the ceiling to cool down. It's insanely good with soups and absolutely divine when fresh.

Mämmi. A Western Finland tradition dating back to the earliest days of Finland. A mixture of water, rye flour and rye malt, prepared by malting to make it a bit sweet. Yes, we all know what it looks like, it's a popular joke with kids of every generation. Personally I'm not a fan, but lots of people love it. Traditionally eaten around Easter, but famously Finnish ski legend Juha Mieto ate several pounds of it every day around the year.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 16, 2024

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Comic Strips 2024: Look kid, they all play "Sweet Caroline" eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Rye bread, literally "hole bread" or "rye hole bread". Now this HAS been a beloved staple since the 1500s, and has a hole in it because traditionally after baking bread would be slipped on a pole that was suspended near the ceiling to cool down. It's insanely good with soups and absolutely divine when fresh.

Is it just me but I can't find these breads anymore of the Oululainen brand, they've seemingly all switched from that format to tiny toast like slices.