Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Wish my ps5 would bring home a game at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
i continue to be comfortable not owning any ubisoft games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

98.5% of my game purchases since 2018 have been digital, clearly i'm not worried about not "owning" the games, because by the time steam explodes and takes my purchases with them, society will have collapsed and also all of those games will be emulatable

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

btw you don't own your video game consoles... they own you

Holy poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Amp posted:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I still own Sword Coast Legends on Steam despite it being delisted. It sucks rear end, but it's still available for me to download and play and I doubt that'll change anytime soon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amp posted:

Gonna buy the new PoP on Thursday

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Khanstant posted:

People often speak like GamesPass gets them "free" games despite paying for the service and not owning the games and losing access once subscription ends. People also think of purchased games on Steam or other platforms as things they own in "their" library. People are willing to flex on what ownership means and even what paying for stuff is.
People get all weird about the word "free" when they talk about Game Pass for some reason. Free means free of charge, and downloading and playing the games on Game Pass does not charge you money. The subscription itself is not free. A game could even be reasonably viewed as free if you're already paying for the subscription for some other game anyway, and thus your access to the second game is not contingent on any additional transaction whatsoever. For example, if I paid for Game Pass so I could play DQXI and while I was playing that I played a few other Game Pass games too, then those games were, for all intents and purposes, free for me to play even if you insist on saying that I paid for DQXI.

I don't see a lot of people going around saying things like "it's not actually 'buy one, get one free' you know, you actually just bought two things" or "the 11th sub wasn't actually free, you had to pay for 10 subs in order to get it".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ubisoft are funding a contest on speedrun.com where the fastest run of the new PoP by the end of January gets $5,000 so my advice to anyone who buys it is simply get WR

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wonder when that F2P Division Tarkov-like comes out

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Mr Hootington posted:

Wonder when that F2P Division Tarkov-like comes out

listen they still have to ship the pirate game and the call of duty clone before they even remember that one exists

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1746969481082224923?s=20

Ubisoft wants you to be comfortable with not owning games

The Crew being delisted is because its a racing game that uses a huge amount of licensed content. There is really no way around this issue when it comes to licensed heavy games. UBISoft hasn't delisted other games that i'm aware of, just taken multiplayer servers offline because they had a player count of exactly 0 for multiple years in a row.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It’s not just being delisted. The game will in essence ceases to exist because they’re taking down the online infrastructure that’s required to play it in any form.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Does anyone play it?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Rinkles posted:

It’s not just being delisted. The game will in essence ceases to exist because they’re taking down the online infrastructure that’s required to play it in any form.

drat wait until you hear about babylon's fall

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

I liked the heron, but the boy? Gtfo

e: wrong thread

I liked the war profiteering father figure personally

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The father figure, you mean his actual father? Like his actual dad?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

The father figure, you mean his actual father? Like his actual dad?

yea

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Volte posted:

I don't see a lot of people going around saying things like "it's not actually 'buy one, get one free' you know, you actually just bought two things" or "the 11th sub wasn't actually free, you had to pay for 10 subs in order to get it".

Well you can take the sandwich wherever you want or even just eat it and it's obvious the point of those programs is to get you to re-patronize the joint possibly with others.

People don't say they watched such and such shows for free because they bought Netflix sub for Stranger Things.

Paying GamesPass for a specific game and calling everything else free and paying GamesPass and considering that the fee to access their rotating selection of games are functionally identical, it's a matter of value and perspective on a users part of what they consider "free."

If you played HiFi Rush for free because you really subbed to play something else, that freeness doesn't translate to some random person who wants to play HiFi Rush for free because they can't spend money to play it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Does anyone play it?

I can't imagine anyone does, the game sucked poo poo, and theres been two sequels since and neither of those are any good either.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I said come in! posted:

I can't imagine anyone does, the game sucked poo poo, and theres been two sequels since and neither of those are any good either.

you're being pretty harsh. and crew 1 did some cool things.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought people generally liked The Crew 2.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is that the game with a condensed version of the entire US

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

no, that's Pilotwings 64

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

no, that's elden ring

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

no, that's cruis'n USA

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
no, that's We Love Katamari

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
no, that’s Death Stranding

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

no, that's a weapon to surpass Metal Gear

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Khanstant posted:

Well you can take the sandwich wherever you want or even just eat it and it's obvious the point of those programs is to get you to re-patronize the joint possibly with others.

People don't say they watched such and such shows for free because they bought Netflix sub for Stranger Things.

Paying GamesPass for a specific game and calling everything else free and paying GamesPass and considering that the fee to access their rotating selection of games are functionally identical, it's a matter of value and perspective on a users part of what they consider "free."

If you played HiFi Rush for free because you really subbed to play something else, that freeness doesn't translate to some random person who wants to play HiFi Rush for free because they can't spend money to play it.
Nobody says they watched a show for free on Netflix mainly because nobody ever talks about owning or paying for a show in the first place. But if someone said "did you pay to watch that movie" they might reasonably say "no, it was on Netflix" and everyone would know what they meant. Game Pass and other subscription services are essentially a monthly subscription to unlimited free rentals. I grew up mostly playing games and watching movies through very limited, very costly rentals. A $12/mo subscription to unlimited free rentals would have been an insane deal and nobody would have been complaining about how the rentals aren't actually free because you don't own the game and you have to agree to give it back with 30 days notice. They might say it's a lovely deal and that you shouldn't pay for it, but they wouldn't be quibbling about the definition of what free is.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rinkles posted:

you're being pretty harsh. and crew 1 did some cool things.

the crew 1 was extremely interesting to me until i actually played it and realized it has the worst driving physics imaginable. just unbelievably, inexcusably terrible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its also basically a ripoff of Forza Horizon while doing nothing better or different.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

wasnt there a need for speed game where you had to race across the entire US that was also bad

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

Its also basically a ripoff of Forza Horizon while doing nothing better or different.

but its scale was huge, which i am totally into. like, i wish fh6 would have a map so huge it takes a good couple hours to go from one end to the other. it was the main appeal of the crew to me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ivory tower essentially made test drive unlimited, so they did it first. forza horizon is the ripoff

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

but its scale was huge, which i am totally into. like, i wish fh6 would have a map so huge it takes a good couple hours to go from one end to the other. it was the main appeal of the crew to me.

For real, we can agree on that much. I want Microsoft to take what they did with Microsoft Flight Sim, but for driving.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Ubisoft are funding a contest on speedrun.com where the fastest run of the new PoP by the end of January gets $5,000 so my advice to anyone who buys it is simply get WR

I heard this and thought it was a cool promotion. Then I saw that PoP The Lost Crown wasn't releasing on Steam and it has a $60 price tag. The only folks that can get away with that price for a 2d metroidvania is Nintendo.

Ubisoft has handcuffed itself.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

in 2024 your metroidvania options are

(1) $50+ from a major developer, which will get a bunch of complaints and not sell well enough to justify an immediate sequel (metroid dread, prince of persia)

(2) cheap by a small studio but takes half a decade to make (momodora, silksong)

(3) anime games that come out of nowhere and are good if you can get past the aesthetics and occasional wack as gently caress writing (deedlit, tevi)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
mr. microsoft told me that silksong will be $80 for steam and $70 for console but will also be on gamepass on release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

I heard this and thought it was a cool promotion. Then I saw that PoP The Lost Crown wasn't releasing on Steam and it has a $60 price tag. The only folks that can get away with that price for a 2d metroidvania is Nintendo.

Ubisoft has handcuffed itself.

it's to sell more subs to Ubisoft's subscription service

think of games like The Lost Crown as The Other Side of the Wind of these subscription services. High prestige offerings that attract attention and talk. It's similar to Pentiment in that way.

Except of course Pentiment is half the price and on Steam.